Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ummmm Leatherface much my good bitch???

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thy have okada

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
As a wrestling fan I hate watching wrestlers. I watch wrestling to see musicians and influencers.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Haven't they brought in like a dozen popular hip hop artists in the past couple years?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The_Rob posted:

As a wrestling fan I hate watching wrestlers. I watch wrestling to see musicians and influencers.

this is what they want

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haven't they brought in like a dozen popular hip hop artists in the past couple years?

But they aren’t wrestling. Have fun watching good wrestlers who have been working on their craft for decades. I’m watching already famous people who were taught some moves and rehearsed a match for a month.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

As if these guys would know what the gently caress a Westside Gunn is

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I will never forgive this Leatherface and Action Bronson erasure

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Bad Bunny and Logan Paul are unfortunately talented at wrestling

or at least much better than numerous professional athletes and fighters brought into various promotions over the years

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

leatherface will never draw

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bad Bunny was cool and could wrestle but WWE really didn't do much with the opportunity. WWE fans are excited he was there, his fans couldn't really care

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I love that some people actually think this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bad Bunny couldn’t work Ichigaya

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Bad Bunny really loved this business he would've bladed in Puerto Rico

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its not about the wrestling its about the lore

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
any celeb that willingly associates themselves with aew permanently damages their brand to such an extent that it will never recover. they are immediately dropped by their agencies and their brand deals and even their own families will disown them in disgrace. even watching aew is legally grounds for divorce.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/SoCoJonesTx/status/1765906969846591685

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That argument is easily defeated if they’ve ever watched Takeshita in AEW

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Feels like every few months I read the same “aew doing nothing to make or keep new fans” which I don’t even think is measurable by incredible weak tv ratings across all of cable these days. If that was true of wwe then why haven’t the ratings ever changed from the 1.5 to 2 mil every week, all of cable is stagnant and there’s never going to be any deviation from the last few years.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Hoss Corncave posted:

Won the tag titles pretty early on in their run (within six months of first appearing) and are currently one of the best teams in the world being featured pretty much every week.
The FTR thing is especially ahistorical because here's all of their losses from their first year in AEW:

May 27, 2020: FTR debut.
July 8, 2020: FTR lose in an eight-man match because the Young Bucks accidentally/'accidentally' superkick Dax and he gets finished/pinned by the Lucha Bros.
July 15, 2020: FTR beat the Lucha Bros in a straight tag

August 5, 2020: FTR are on the losing side of a 12 man match against Dark Order (Brodie Lee pins Adam Page)
September 5, 2020: FTR beat Hangman and Omega for the tag titles

November 7, 2020: Young Bucks beat FTR for the tag titles

Overall they were 13-3 and only lost one straight tag match in 2020.
In 2021 they 17-4 (losing to Santana & Ortiz, Sting & Darby, and the Lucha Bros twice)

Surely they long for their glory days of losing two minute matches on Raw and going 19-28 in 2019, where most of their wins were on Main Event.

Wrestling at the Tokyo Dome and Triplemania and Wembley is nice and all, but how can it compare to WRESTLEMANIA MOMENTS, such as:
2018: Not appearing on the card because Braun Strowman and a child got the tag title shot
2019: Losing to Hawkins and Ryder on the pre-show to break Hawkins's 269 match losing streak
2020: Not appearing because they were sitting at home a year after being asked to get released from their contracts

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

No they're not, that's not true.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I will grant you that sometimes ishii feels like he is an entire mountain crashing down on someone but the not good bit is just wrong and a sign of bad taste

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The D in Detroit posted:

As if these guys would know what the gently caress a Westside Gunn is

An rear end boy?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
if he had even an ounce of sense Okada should have gone to NXT, got renamed to Taichi Suzuki, and learned how to f'n hardcam

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
???

https://x.com/leslieleeiii/status/1765988052692865143?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

if he had even an ounce of sense Okada should have gone to NXT, got renamed to Taichi Suzuki, and learned how to f'n hardcam

We'll name him Hiroshima Nagasaki, he'll come out in a pilot's outfit wearing aviator goggles, his new finisher will be his top rope elbow drop, and it'll will be called the Fat Boy.

Such good poo poo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

C. Everett Koop posted:

We'll name him Hiroshima Nagasaki, he'll come out in a pilot's outfit wearing aviator goggles, his new finisher will be his top rope elbow drop, and it'll will be called the Fat Boy.

Such good poo poo.

son of Kendo Nagasaki?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lamuella posted:

son of Kendo Nagasaki?

And we’ll get one of those Tupac holograms but of Mr. Fuji, with AI to poo poo in the bags of people it doesn’t like

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Didn't Vince want to name someone Hirohito? Tojo? Something like that?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He wanted to give someone from Japan a yakuza gimmick until they convinced him it was a really bad idea.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Hirohito. It was Kenzo Suzuki back in 2004. They aired one vignette for it before pulling the plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-w4H5a2u4c

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

He wanted to give someone from Japan a yakuza gimmick until they convinced him it was a really bad idea.

that was Tajiri and they even gave him Jimmy Yang and Ryan Sakoda as lackies

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Surely they long for their glory days of losing two minute matches on Raw and going 19-28 in 2019, where most of their wins were on Main Event.

Wrestling at the Tokyo Dome and Triplemania and Wembley is nice and all, but how can it compare to WRESTLEMANIA MOMENTS, such as:
2018: Not appearing on the card because Braun Strowman and a child got the tag title shot
2019: Losing to Hawkins and Ryder on the pre-show to break Hawkins's 269 match losing streak
2020: Not appearing because they were sitting at home a year after being asked to get released from their contracts

I'm sure their 54 and 55 day reigns with the Raw and Smackdown tag titles were also more prestigious and beloved than their title runs with the AEW, ROH, IWGP, and AAA titles.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

He's already had one gimmick where he was a supposed to be a character driving someone around. He doesn't need another.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hoss Corncave posted:

He's already had one gimmick where he was a supposed to be a character driving someone around. He doesn't need another.

He was Harvey Wippleman?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

He was Harvey Wippleman?

I'm sure I'm probably falling into :thejoke: but Okato in TNA.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I admit it's just a terrible joke about how Harvey Wippleman would get tasked with driving people around as a manager.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's gonna be awkward when Okada's idol daughter outs him as ex-yakuza.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Is pro wrestling karaoke in Japan?"

I don't know what that means. Leslie probably doesn't know what that means.

TheKingslayer posted:

There used to be a heel in Memphis called Tojo Yamamoto who was a Japanese-American. (His real name was Harold.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Dawgstar posted:

"Is pro wrestling karaoke in Japan?"

I don't know what that means. Leslie probably doesn't know what that means.

"AEW is pro wrestling karaoke, eh?" (based on my duolingo skills)