Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm building the Excelsior bridge from Search for Spock because I want me some armrest restraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm building the Excelsior bridge from Search for Spock because I want me some armrest restraints.

gently caress. Yes. Those things were so cool. Whenever I'm in a chair with folding armrests it's hard to resists doing that and feeling cool while doing so.

I think canonically they were supposed to have forcefields to keep you in your chair or something.

tbh, my answer is probably Sulu's bridge (I already have the teacup)

corona familiar posted:

int. rickety metal catwalk - night

(the protostar's bridge with the Volume on the outside would be pretty cool)

oh drat now that is a cool idea. even just a static diorama with pinhole stars if Q won't float you the cash for a Volume

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 8, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

The ST3 Excelsior bridge is a single gyprock wall though...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

One prominent addition would’ve been the return of Scarlett Pomers’ Naomi Wildman—the Human/Ktarian child who became the first baby to be born aboard Voyager during its time in the Delta Quadrant, growing into a young acting ensign, regular confidant of Seven of Nine, and Captain Janeway’s assistant.

drat, I always thought we should've seen her, it would've been a lovely little character moment for Seven to

quote:

And she gets help from an older Naomi Wildman who had also followed in her footsteps as a Fenris Ranger and was a badass. But Seven realizes she sort of created a monster because Naomi had become harder than she was,” Matalas explained.

Never loving mind thank gently caress they didn't have Naomi Wildman.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kesper North posted:

Question for the group:

Q appears and hands you a pile of money and the keys to a warehouse, then snaps his fingers and says "but you can only use this money to build a Star Trek bridge set".

What ship's bridge would you build? Carpet or no carpet? What's your LCARS theme, if applicable?

For purposes of fun, it can be any bridge, not just hero ships. If Chandley-class frigates from the old FASA game are your passion, I want to hear it.

It's hard not to answer the Enterprise-D bridge. If not that one then the Protector's bridge from Galaxy Quest.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Enterprise-D set from Generations but make the structural width changes to better accommodate the side consoles that they didn't do for the movie because they would've had to rebuild it from scratch.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I would build either the bridge from "The Ship" and keep it upside-down or the Ent-C bridge :swoon:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hardened murderer Naomi Wildman is hilarious.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

why does everyone on tv gotta be a stone cold badass now

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Because Terry Matalas is a loving hack.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The Voyager kids!

Icheb: Murdered

Naomi: Murderer :c00l:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Protostar bridge always looks like everything’s down too low. Plus the captain’s chair doesn’t look secure at all. It’s too wide and shallow with no arms, like you’d go flying out of it the first time the ship got hit.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

What a moron.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

The_Doctor posted:

The Protostar bridge always looks like everything’s down too low. Plus the captain’s chair doesn’t look secure at all. It’s too wide and shallow with no arms, like you’d go flying out of it the first time the ship got hit.

It's a very Star Wars bridge. It feels like what you'd see on a Star Destroyer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe they finally got the inertial dampeners to work properly. Though it is an amazing bit of engineering that they worked exactly well enough that sometimes people would fall out of their chairs, but no one was ever pasted against the bulkhead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Don't be too literal with the proportions on Prodigy, it may be CG but it's still stylised.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Question for the group:

Q appears and hands you a pile of money and the keys to a warehouse, then snaps his fingers and says "but you can only use this money to build a Star Trek bridge set".

What ship's bridge would you build? Carpet or no carpet? What's your LCARS theme, if applicable?

For purposes of fun, it can be any bridge, not just hero ships. If Chandley-class frigates from the old FASA game are your passion, I want to hear it.

The one from the end of generation.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Don't be too literal with the proportions on Prodigy, it may be CG but it's still stylised.

And this has me wondering what the Lower Decks crew would look like if they turned up on Prodigy. Google image search isn't turning up any fan art.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kesper North posted:

Question for the group:

Mix of TMP/TWOK bridges. TWOK layout, but the computer displays use the TMP computer graphic style (albeit with modern display tech so the lights don't have to be so low) and the helm's got the big throttle lever from TMP.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The other hilariously dumb thing in that Terry interview is just casually mentioning he wanted Kira at Frontier Day, as if she just became some Starfleet lifer after DS9 season 7. The woman spent her entire life fighting for Bajor and Bajoran independence, regularly clashed with Sisko and others over Starfleet matters, and was almost always a reluctant leader at best.

The sensical extrapolation of the Kira circa What We Leave Behind is an officer who likely spends the rest of her life waiting for the return of the Emissary and staying close to home in the Bajoran military to protect Bajor from exploitation by enemy and ally alike. She’s not captaining some ugly loving tub in the 2401 Starfleet armada and doing meaningless fleet week bullshit.

Yet again, Lower Decks got it loving right by having her still be a Bajoran Colonel in 2381. Presumably because, I dunno, maybe the people making Lower Decks actually loving bothered to understand DS9 and it’s actual themes instead of just pulling hollow references from it.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 8, 2024

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The other hilariously dumb thing in that Terry interview is just casually mentioning he wanted Kira at Frontier Day, as if she just became some Starfleet lifer after DS9 season 7. The woman spent her entire life fighting for Bajor and Bajoran independence, regularly clashed with Sisko and others over Starfleet matters, and was almost always a reluctant leader at best.

The sensical extrapolation of the Kira circa What We Leave Behind is an officer who likely spends the rest of her life waiting for the return of the Emissary and staying close to home in the Bajoran military to protect Bajor from exploitation by enemy and ally alike. She’s not captaining some ugly loving tub in the 2401 Starfleet armada and doing meaningless fleet week bullshit.

Yet again, Lower Decks got it loving right by having her still be a Bajoran Colonel in 2381. Presumably because, I dunno, maybe the people making Lower Decks actually loving bothered to understand DS9 and it’s actual themes instead of just pulling hollow references from it.

What does your heart tell you?

And, again, from everything I've been told, Matalas is an insufferable fanboy who found himself in the mix thanks to connections, and the TNG cast loves him because, well, he got them additional work,

But he could have done so much more. He obviously had the money. Re-building the TNG bridge was a labor of love, but holy poo poo did it cost a lot, I think $2.65MM was spent on recreating it, and that ate up much of the budget that been allocated towards VFX.

Here's what I'll say about Terry Matalas, from everything I've been told: He is Alec Peters, the Axanar shithead, except Matalas was actually allowed to play on the lots and smash his toys together/

Timby fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 8, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well it was rhetorical, the LDS crew clearly gives a poo poo about the shows they reference instead of just using the characters to reenact their lovely fan fiction ideas like Terry did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well it was rhetorical, the LDS crew clearly gives a poo poo about the shows they reference instead of just using the characters to reenact their lovely fan fiction ideas like Terry did.

I was eating taquitos when I typed it out, give my post a re-read.

The TNG cast loved working with Matalas because someone would throw an idea out there and he would react, "OK!" And send it to the writers: "How can we make this happen?"

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Woah, Timby is alive. I thought you’d been locked in some P+ black site after being burned by the Sybok red herring.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nine of Eight posted:

Woah, Timby is alive. I thought you’d been locked in some P+ black site after being burned by the Sybok red herring.

There was a further scene that mentioned Sybok and it got yanked for shoe leather.

Edit: But I can't leak anything more about the upcoming shows. I burned a few friendships by flying too closely to the sun.

In the words of the great Craig Ferguson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIJRqyxxnSk

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I like how any time I learn more about Matalas, I'm happy Picard ended and he also didn't get to work on more.

Like, loving come on. You don't have to include every character that ever appeared.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

But he could have done so much more. He obviously had the money. Re-building the TNG bridge was a labor of love, but holy poo poo did it cost a lot, I think $2.65MM was spent on recreating it, and that ate up much of the budget that been allocated towards VFX.

Honestly, and I know this is heresy, but it's not worth that much loving money. It's not a great set to begin with, so I'd definitely consider rebuilding it for that cost to be pissing money up the wall.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it’s a weird set for modern tv. It’s the wrong shape (4:3) and is beige beyond reason. It’s got the awkward little ramps that are impossible to walk up/down without looking precarious. Nostalgia is nice but cmon.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly, and I know this is heresy, but it's not worth that much loving money. It's not a great set to begin with, so I'd definitely consider rebuilding it for that cost to be pissing money up the wall.

The thing that really gets me is the combo of spending that much to build a set and then barely using it. They should have gotten on to the Enterprise at like the end of episode 2 and spent the rest of the season glued to those seats. But no, we gotta save it for a "big reveal" at the very end of the show because everyone making prestige television has brain worms.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nine-gear crow posted:

The ST3 Excelsior bridge is a single gyprock wall though...
I liked the background consoles from the ST3 Excelsior, but it's always bugged me that above them is just this sweeping gray expanse of nothing. At least paint a couple of panel lines or stick some greeblies up there!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The thing that really gets me is the combo of spending that much to build a set and then barely using it. They should have gotten on to the Enterprise at like the end of episode 2 and spent the rest of the season glued to those seats. But no, we gotta save it for a "big reveal" at the very end of the show because everyone making prestige television has brain worms.

Or at least switch to that ship to go "off the grid" in the episode 6/10 when they learn that all modern starfleet ships have built-in homing beacon that cannot be shut off without ejecting warp core, and they just happen to drive by the museum La Forge is running.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

They should have told the makers of this chair.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

well why not posted:

Nostalgia is nice

No it isn't

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

feedmyleg posted:

No it isn't

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

well why not posted:

Nostalgia is nice but cmon.

Nostalgia is a form of mental illness, and foreverism is trash.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Small Strange Bird posted:

I liked the background consoles from the ST3 Excelsior, but it's always bugged me that above them is just this sweeping gray expanse of nothing. At least paint a couple of panel lines or stick some greeblies up there!

The captain of the Excelsior having a riding crop is such a good detail that instantly, hilariously, tells us all we need to know about the guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

No it isn't

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

feedmyleg posted:

No it isn't

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My favorite part of the recreated D bridge was all the horrible piss-yellow “golden hour in space but not quite” lighting they gave it in half the scenes.

What a stupid loving waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"I never liked the carpet" is such an obnoxious 2024-meta style joke, it just grates like crazy.