Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Microplastics posted:

I guess I don't know much about how voting is done in America because what the gently caress is this? Is this what a voting machine looks like? You gotta aim a tiny stick into one of two very-close-together, very small holes between metal strips? (Or are they tiny buttons?)

This is a paper ballot. Fun fact: every state designs their own, ranging from “confusing” to “deliberately confusing!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Microplastics posted:

I guess I don't know much about how voting is done in America because what the gently caress is this? Is this what a voting machine looks like? You gotta aim a tiny stick into one of two very-close-together, very small holes between metal strips? (Or are they tiny buttons?)

That particular type is known as a butterfly ballot, and it was at the heart of the issues with the 2000 presidential elections, specifically in Palm Beach County, Florida:

Besides being confusing as gently caress, the ballot also had the issue that in some cases the paper wasn't punched through properly, leaving a little bit of paper (the 'hanging chad') dangling that officially meant the vote shouldn't be counted. It was this ballot/county that was at the heart of the Florida recount that was eventually stopped by the Supreme Court to hand the election to Bush. In America elections are generally run at the county level, with each county having its own ballot.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Where's Commander?

Ted Rall posted:

President Joe Biden’s dog was involved in dozens of biting incidents in the White House yet he refused to get rid of him. Finally now he’s gone too far and he’s been sent to live with unspecified relatives. The dog, not Biden.

First Dog on the Moon: More new species? We can't look after the ones we have!

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Skios posted:

That particular type is known as a butterfly ballot, and it was at the heart of the issues with the 2000 presidential elections, specifically in Palm Beach County, Florida:

Besides being confusing as gently caress, the ballot also had the issue that in some cases the paper wasn't punched through properly, leaving a little bit of paper (the 'hanging chad') dangling that officially meant the vote shouldn't be counted. It was this ballot/county that was at the heart of the Florida recount that was eventually stopped by the Supreme Court to hand the election to Bush. In America elections are generally run at the county level, with each county having its own ballot.

O_o

But like what... do you do with it? What is the actual mechanism of marking the ballot? Thank you for supplying a photo but even so, I can't really parse what I'm looking at.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

You cram a pole through the hole for your candidate and it pierces the paper ballot, which of course you definitely 100% aligned correctly underneath ensuring that the hole will be in the right place (and, again, 100% removing the paper in the hole or it doesn't count) to be counted by the machine for the desired vote.

It's probably a punch card type of system that reads them, if you know about those old things from computer history.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I seriously do not understand how the USA can gently caress up elections all the time, everywhere, at every level.

Germany uses simple paper ballots and everything is over and done with in one evening even for federal elections, embarrassments like Berlin excepted.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There's only two and very possible answers. They are not exclusive.

1) They are very dumb.
2) They are doing it purposefully.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Has the Biden Katamari reached its final form?

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

American conservatives continue to be so drat proud of their wilful ignorance. A bit of research to find the answer to the kid's question would only take away five seconds of "staring blankly at coffee" time, or even better he could help the kid to research it himself.

But no, the man doesn't know the answer so obviously it must be some God-given phenomena beyond human ken, and no-one should ever think about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's to save on lamp oil, the most pressing present day concern.

Then again conservatives also have a weird hatred for the LED lights that make daylight savings obsolete.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Remind me again, who didn't even show up for their party's debates?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's to save on lamp oil, the most pressing present day concern.

Then again conservatives also have a weird hatred for the LED lights that make daylight savings obsolete.

They are very bright in cars.
But yes, we should be done with this already.

Move the clock half an hour and let's never speak of it again

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Liberals should simply embrace daylight savings as a way to improve the safety of trans and black people somehow, and rebrand daylight savings as woke. That way we can trick conservatives into getting rid of it

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Microplastics posted:

So, with the usual caviets of "It depends on your state" (for example, a Massachusetts ballot used to look like this: ), that's the infamous "Butterfly Ballot" from the 2000 Florida Presidential election. You slide a punch card under it, punch out the options you want, and it's fed into a machine to tabulate the vote. I don't believe any place uses them anymore, but it's a very well-known picture of "this is a ballot".

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

NRVNQSR posted:

American conservatives continue to be so drat proud of their wilful ignorance. A bit of research to find the answer to the kid's question would only take away five seconds of "staring blankly at coffee" time, or even better he could help the kid to research it himself.

But no, the man doesn't know the answer so obviously it must be some God-given phenomena beyond human ken, and no-one should ever think about it.

My favourite fun fact about daylight savings time - America and Europe used to be in synch, until things were changed under the George W. Bush administration, supposedly to save electricity (it didn't). As someone whose work involves daily contact with the United States at set time periods, those two weeks every year where we're out of synch can be really annoying.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's only two and very possible answers. They are not exclusive.

1) They are very dumb.
2) They are doing it purposefully.

Democrats work the same way!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

At least one cartoonist has to be a big enough nerd to do a Akira Toriyama obit, right?

We’ll never have another shot at a crying Goku

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Pants Donkey posted:

At least one cartoonist has to be a big enough nerd to do a Akira Toriyama obit, right?

Paging Carlos Latuff. Carlos Latuff, please report to the Politoons thread.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
We probably get a Kelly showing him in hell, while the Kelly insert touts the wonderfulness of made in American Cartoons

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

I seriously do not understand how the USA can gently caress up elections all the time, everywhere, at every level.

Germany uses simple paper ballots and everything is over and done with in one evening even for federal elections, embarrassments like Berlin excepted.

They vote for things like Municipal Dog Catcher thirty times a year. That's what true democracy looks like. Give them a break.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

We probably get a Kelly showing him in hell, while the Kelly insert touts the wonderfulness of made in American Cartoons
”Godless Japanimation ‘Artists’”

“Patriotic WB Fans”

The Devil while forcing sad Toriyama to look at comics, “Now read them left to right!”

Korner Kelly: Hero for Infinite Losers

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 8, 2024

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Pants Donkey posted:

Let's crowdfund somebody to draw Navalny as Goku.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively Kelly loves Goku. We get shenron crying with a corner kelly that says:

"Dragon Bawls"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pants Donkey posted:

Damnit, why do I always find this out in the politoons thread of all places?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

A giant Dragon Ball crying other smaller Dragon Balls.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

Alternatively Kelly loves Goku. We get shenron crying with a corner kelly that says:

"Dragon Bawls"
i feel it more in-character if Kelly is a big dbz fan but outwardly shits on all anime because he is insecure and jealous

But a heaven Kelly Obit would be St Peter saying “Hey, we did some renovations to make you feel more at home” and it’s all done up like the DBZ afterlife with God cosplaying King Yemma giving a thumbs up.

sad Korner Kelly: Saiyain’t So

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

You cram a pole through the hole for your candidate and it pierces the paper ballot, which of course you definitely 100% aligned correctly underneath ensuring that the hole will be in the right place (and, again, 100% removing the paper in the hole or it doesn't count) to be counted by the machine for the desired vote.

It's probably a punch card type of system that reads them, if you know about those old things from computer history.
It was great, actual legal arguments about whether dimpled chads (the peg dented the paper but didn't pierce it) should count and how much of the hanging chad could be connected to the ballot and still count as well.

And what happens if the chad falls off over the course of multiple hand recounts.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 8, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The virgin paper cross ballot and the legitimate machine readable chad.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

US elections work just fine. Even the dumbass butterfly ballot wasn't a real problem until an election turned on literally 0.01% of the vote.

though more recently we have some self inflicted wounds from like extremely dumb local laws where they can't start counting ballots until the election ends which slows everything down massively. and of course strategic racism.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
I'm looking forward to the next round of political cartoons from the usual suspects about the SotU speech being "too divisive" and "too political"

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Antigravitas posted:

because eah side has many lawyers.

i forget which election it was but they did a hand recount after because it was too close to call. there were three republican lawyers and three democratic lawyers.
they went through each vote one at a time.
the republicans agreed to disqualify a couple of votes.
at the end of the count the republicans lost by one vote.
so the republican lawyers asked the republican counters and republican judge to count the previously disqualified republicans votes and they agreed so it was a tie.
so the republican lawyers, watched by a republican judge and republican officials flipped a coin.
and the republican won.

and that's why elections are confusing.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Oh gee gosh golly I wonder why none of the state of the union cartoons say a thing at all about what was in the speech itself

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Akira Toriyama gave us the original sicko:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ella Baron on Jeremy Hunt’s budget – The chancellor has given away almost everything he can find"

Telegraph:

"This is how Tories fall: by promising tax cuts while doing the opposite"

Matt:

Pensioners suffer biggest losses from Tory tax raid as Hunt boosts millennials

Independent:

Jeremy Hunt’s pledge to scrap national insurance ‘more reckless than Liz Truss’, Labour warns After the Bee Gees.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

After the Shoebill Stork.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

JamesBont posted:

I'm looking forward to the next round of political cartoons from the usual suspects about the SotU speech being "too divisive" and "too political"

Particularly the ones with submission dates two weeks ago.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Pope:

Tesla quits major Australian auto lobby over its ‘false claims’ about government’s clean car policy (Guardian). "Tesla accused Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries of favouring car companies wanting to delay action on climate crisis, Guardian Australia revealed on Wednesday".

Lethbridge:

On Virgin Australia announcing they will soon allow cats and dogs on domestic flights.

Knight:

Kudelka:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Recent discussion inspired me to make this

I'm so sorry.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Why

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Tats 'bout to drop the LOTR strips to draw Biden as Frieza.

escapegoat fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trapezium Dave posted:

Knight:

Kudelka:

Leak, Son of Leak:

[Australian cartoonists, briefly glancing up from the most racist drawing you've ever seen]: "Can you believe she called that man 'white', how offensive"