Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
LMFAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

I've never heard of any of these prospects is that just a pile of poo poo someone tell me if I should be mad

We have to wait to see which 30-something guy the Pens flip them for

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

bunting and a 2nd lmfao

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
lol that’s some real nice media spin by Dubas to call it a conditional 1st

It’s a 2nd that becomes a first if the canes make the SCF

“Can you make that sound like we got a first?”

It’s a first that becomes a 2nd if the canes miss the SCF

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I had been thinking/hoping Shanahan was mostly behind the years of bad decisions in Toronto, especially since nothing much has changed under Treliving. But no, Dubas is just dumber than the average bear.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gonna be great watching Sullivan be allowed to go to the Devils and replaced by Keefe while the Pens also trade a draft pick to Toronto for Reaves' entire contract

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Eric the Mauve posted:

Gonna be great watching Sullivan be allowed to go to the Devils and replaced by Keefe while the Pens also trade a draft pick to Toronto for Reaves' entire contract

Would you quit it with this doomer poo poo? It's kinda getting old. And nothing like reality.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mage_Boy posted:

Would you quit it with this doomer poo poo? It's kinda getting old. And nothing like reality.

Yeah the reality is grim enough there's really no need to make it worse with fantasy doom posting

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Mage_Boy posted:

shut the gently caress up lmao

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

I've never heard of any of these prospects is that just a pile of poo poo someone tell me if I should be mad

None of them are sure things but they're also not total dogshit prospects like Calgary was getting for their players. They're all 21 or younger and have decent NHL potential, even if it's likely as middle or bottom six forwards.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm actually pretty happy with this return for the Pens. Those are 3 guys that have been producing where they are, and are all young. Koivunen has 55 points in 57 games as a 20 year old for Karpat, Vasili Ponomarev is a 21 year old C with 29 points in 39 games in the AHL, and Cruz Lucius is a PPG 19 year old in college. Bunting and a 2nd are what people may focus on and laugh at, but I legitimately think these guys are good prospects to pick up. Especially if you think Dubas had to get guys that were close to the NHL--Ponomarev has played 2 games in the show and has a goal and an assist.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

posting doom prophecies for your team is awesome.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

None of them are sure things but they're also not total dogshit prospects like Calgary was getting for their players. They're all 21 or younger and have decent NHL potential, even if it's likely as middle or bottom six forwards.

Yeah that seems accurate based on what I've read so far.

We'll see how it pans out in a few years I guess. At least Jake didn't go to a team I loathe

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Pungry posted:

I'm actually pretty happy with this return for the Pens. Those are 3 guys that have been producing where they are, and are all young. Koivunen has 55 points in 57 games as a 20 year old for Karpat, Vasili Ponomarev is a 21 year old C with 29 points in 39 games in the AHL, and Cruz Lucius is a PPG 19 year old in college. Bunting and a 2nd are what people may focus on and laugh at, but I legitimately think these guys are good prospects to pick up. Especially if you think Dubas had to get guys that were close to the NHL--Ponomarev has played 2 games in the show and has a goal and an assist.

Yea I think it's very fair. As I said, none of them are sure things of course, but they all seem like good young players to take a chance on.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

This isn’t some mid November out of the blue trade, it’s an auction 24 hours before deadline. Ofcourse there might have been other similar offers which might be debatable, but surely they’ve taken the best offer available.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah they won't take Reaves' entire contract that is true. I will accept any reasonable betting terms that Keefe will coach the Penguins whenever the Leafs finally turn him loose though. When Dubas decides he likes a guy it's forever.

Also, no, I certainly will not quit it with my *~doomer poo poo~* seeing as how I have been unrelentingly right about the Penguins as they have inexorably gotten older and worse every year for many years now. Talking about them gleefully trading for Reaves was just taking the piss yes (he wasn't Dubas' guy, after all) but poo poo, man, sticking your fingers in your ears and acting like if you think happy thoughts it will make the Penguins play better and make smarter decisions, now that is nothing like reality. Reality is Michael loving Bunting.

And it will be very surprising if the Pens actually keep the prospects or the pick they just got.

e: I agree that they took the best offer they got--adjusting for the fact Dubas values Michael loving Bunting more highly than anyone besides Bunting's mother. I doubt an unconditional 1st was ever actually on the table from the Rangers or anyone else.

Good piece of business for the Hurricanes given where they stand right now. I'd IR Guentzel at the first hint of physical trouble and keep him encased in bubble wrap until the playoffs if I were them though.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 8, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Ty Smith anything or a just a fill-in to make contracts work

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I assume definitely just a fill-in to make contracts work as he looked terrible every time he tried to play for the Pens. But I guess it wouldn't be totally shocking if he suddenly looked like a playable 6D on another team, Sullivan's system puts really weird demands on defensemen.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think he is best described in baseball terms as a AAAA player. Kinda better than the AHL but not really good enough for the NHL. He has...questionable decision making as a defenseman at times.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Ty Smith getting thrown in as the +1 on this is pretty funny to me.

I don't hate the return even though I know precious little about CAR prospects outside of what I've read in the past, uhh few minutes. At first blush most of the guys seem _fine_ and the Penguins prospect pool is hot garbage so whatever this helps. Had this been a sign and trade I'd expect more but still as of now it's a rental. If Guentzel ends up signing a deal there and scores ~30G every year it'll look worse but hey good on him if he does. If my options are "sign Guentzel for a bunch of money to a contract that takes him into his mid-30s" and this...I guess I kinda get it.

The absolute comedy option is for Guentzel getting hurt, the Hurricanes making the finals regardless and the Pens still getting that first.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Getting three prospects that can possibly play in the NHL soon plus an actual NHL middle 6 forward plus a second is pretty good and probably more than any other return this season.

The second is also Philly's so in the end its probably a matter of 15-20 spots difference, not a full round.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The Penguins are also DOGSHIT GARBAGE at drafting so I'm not overly concerned about the lack of strong picks. I for one welcome the return of cheap hockey tickets in Pittsburgh.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t want to piss on the deal too much because who knows with prospects, but if those guys all had decent shots of sticking around in the NHL soon I very much doubt Carolina would have dealt three of them for a rental, that quantity of guys being moved usually says something

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I don’t want to piss on the deal too much because who knows with prospects, but if those guys all had decent shots of sticking around in the NHL soon I very much doubt Carolina would have dealt three of them for a rental, that quantity of guys being moved usually says something

Carolina has a boat load of good prospects. Even if they thought highly of these guys losing a few of them and keeping their top three prospects seems pretty good for them.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Getting three prospects that can possibly play in the NHL soon plus an actual NHL middle 6 forward plus a second is pretty good and probably more than any other return this season.

The second is also Philly's so in the end its probably a matter of 15-20 spots difference, not a full round.

Carolina seems like a good bet to make a run to the finals so decent chance the Pens get a first out of this. But the second is fine I guess.

If even one of these prospects pans out as a quality NHLer that probably makes it a pretty decent deal for the Pens. But given that it seems like Dubas went for quantity over quality here there's a decent chance they get nothing out of this

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
interesting thing about Carolina's prospect pool, I was reading some comments from scouting types that they really feel that Carolina's prospects took a bad hit this year by not having a Carolina affiliated AHL team to go on.. I guess a bunch of them are having what are considered really bad years for their previous track records because they are stuck playing in organizations that are not primarily concerned about their development.

So I guess one way to look at that is that Pittsburgh brought on a bunch of under-performing prospects and the other way to look at it is that maybe Pittsburgh got a bit of a bargain buying low on guys who are in a tough situation..

**I guess Ponomarev would be the only one of the three impacted by that (and his goal scoring is definitely way down from his previous AHL performance) but still.. something to keep an eye on going forward in how people look at the Carolina farm system.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 8, 2024

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

the only team with a chance to make it out of the eastern conference is da panthers baby 100% chance lets go

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
Little sad to lose Ponomarev, he was hardly a superstar in the making but figured to be a solid middle six guy who could fill in right now pretty effectively if needed but gotta give something to get something. The other prospects haven't moved the needle much so basically depth/lottery tickets for the Pens.

In other news, how bout them Golden Knights? From cup win and 11-0-1 start to flirting with missing the playoffs. Looking at the standings they still seem pretty safe with a 6 point cushion over the bubble teams with said teams having only 0-1 games in hand, but if Vegas drops their next few games things are going to get real interesting. Has any coach ever been fired the season after winning the cup? Firing Cassidy if they miss this year feels like a very Vegas thing to do.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Chuch posted:

Little sad to lose Ponomarev, he was hardly a superstar in the making but figured to be a solid middle six guy who could fill in right now pretty effectively if needed but gotta give something to get something. The other prospects haven't moved the needle much so basically depth/lottery tickets for the Pens.

In other news, how bout them Golden Knights? From cup win and 11-0-1 start to flirting with missing the playoffs. Looking at the standings they still seem pretty safe with a 6 point cushion over the bubble teams with said teams having only 0-1 games in hand, but if Vegas drops their next few games things are going to get real interesting. Has any coach ever been fired the season after winning the cup? Firing Cassidy if they miss this year feels like a very Vegas thing to do.

well i mentioned this in the GDT but a 6 point cushion on 1 team is not the same as a 6 point cushion on 4 teams... the odds that one of those 4 teams gets hot and wins 15/20 is much higher than the odds of any particular one of them doing it in isolation.

There's some head to head matchups with those 9-12 teams coming up for Vegas the next few weeks that may well decide whether Vegas becomes safe or has to sweat it out.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

Starsfan posted:

well i mentioned this in the GDT but a 6 point cushion on 1 team is not the same as a 6 point cushion on 4 teams... the odds that one of those 4 teams gets hot and wins 15/20 is much higher than the odds of any particular one of them doing it in isolation.

There's some head to head matchups with those 9-12 teams coming up for Vegas the next few weeks that may well decide whether Vegas becomes safe or has to sweat it out.

Very true, but even with Vegas' recent struggles I still think a modest 11-8 record down the stretch gets them in for sure. That puts them at 95 points and I have a hard time seeing any of the 66-67 point teams passing that number, especially with them selling off pieces at the deadline. But as you said, the results of the five games against those bubble teams will majorly factor in, though on the other side of the coin, they have three games in April against the West's bottom feeders that "should" be gimmes for a team desperately making a playoff push. Win those, then split the rest and they should be in. Gonna :lol: if their season comes down to beating Chicago and Anaheim in their final two games though.

Edit: five games against the West's bubble, not four for VGK after scanning the schedule again.

Chuch fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 8, 2024

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Other factor is of those teams behind them, Calgary is in a fire sale, Kraken has already traded Wennberg and may move more shortly. Blues and Wild haven't yet, but it wouldn't be surprising if they have atleast softly sold some pieces by deadline.

Of course a stripped down team could still go on a run, its just unlikely to last 20 games.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Chuch posted:

I would be shocked if they fired Cassidy. All their best players are injured. I'm surprised they made go for it trades as they need to refresh their D corps with Martinez and McNabb clearly being at the end of the road and they need to figure out what the hell to do with Stone and Eichel since they've got term and NMC, but I think they'll be fine with being the bottom seed no-one wants to face.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I saw that the Pens were open to “quantity over quality” and that certainly seems like what they got. I struggle to believe nobody offered an unconditional first but unfortunately for everyone else, there is only one Michael Bunting in this league.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

tarbrush posted:

I would be shocked if they fired Cassidy. All their best players are injured. I'm surprised they made go for it trades as they need to refresh their D corps with Martinez and McNabb clearly being at the end of the road and they need to figure out what the hell to do with Stone and Eichel since they've got term and NMC, but I think they'll be fine with being the bottom seed no-one wants to face.

Yup and all of it will be moot if they do well in the playoffs again.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1765985757070541040

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

saying "go to the devil" is an old-timey way of telling someone to gently caress off, and Sullivan should surely do so after these two seasons. He's got the same problems as any other coach where he's got one move and when that doesn't work he just starts benching the youngest players on the roster one by one until his ego is satisfied

Anywho surely gonna miss Guentzel but I'm not as down as the trade as others seems to be. Bunting is fine, whatever (he seems like he likes to score from the net front but also has a pretty decent shot so he'll fit in here just fine - actually seems to have a little Hornqvist to his game which might fix the loving powerplay)
Ponomarev is eh, could be alright but the kid leading his team in scoring at 20 in the liiga is really damned intriguing.
So an NHL player with term, two pretty decent shot prospects, a wild card, and pick somewhere in the 30-60 range depending on how the canes do
That ain't bad and it goes to pretty drat good in short order if even one of those kids turns into something.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 8, 2024

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Susipicious that the Canes would give away a good finn, apparently not a great skater

https://x.com/davidst_louis/status/1765961163920093654?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Great deal for Carolina. They didn't even have to trade any pucks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shyduck posted:

Great deal for Carolina. They didn't even have to trade any pucks

yeah well they'll have one damned chintzy cup parade having traded away all their bunting

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I've seen mentioned that Guentzel could be back with the Pens but I don't see it.

Especially depending on how he plays with the Canes - I don't see why he wouldn't go for the big bucks Mega Contract this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Carver posted:

I've seen mentioned that Guentzel could be back with the Pens but I don't see it.

Especially depending on how he plays with the Canes - I don't see why he wouldn't go for the big bucks Mega Contract this summer.

Well we'll know sooner than later if his house ends up on the market.
If he likes the city I don't see why he wouldn't be back, losing a couple million or not, and if he happens to go out and play ice cold or find some things he doesn't love in the organization it could turn into a "devil you know" situation for him

But if he plays lights out and is getting courted with 8x$9-10 million offers in the summer that may be a different story