Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Finally beat a purple stake, orange is going to be rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Popete fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 8, 2024

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress YOU! :bang:
both of them are real good on their own at least, especially that early

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

This was a funny run. It didn't look promising at first since I had to take 2 middling Eternals to start, but the Polychrome Stencil into Ceremonial Dagger made it all click. My only issue after that point was getting my Square Joker to scale because even a High Card could 2 or 3-shot the blind :v:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Finally joined 1.4% of Steam players and beat gold stake after uhhhhh 45 hours of playing. I had multiple runs end in Ante 8, which is a special sort of agonizing. The strategy was Checkered Deck and refresh until the 1st ante has tags for “everything in the next shop is free” and “boss blind adds an extra $15” and then beat the boss blind in two hands.

With that start, you open ante 2 with $25, and if the cards in the shop are decent, you’ll have 1 or 2 jokers and maybe a Jupiter. I ended up with an unexpectedly baller combination — Oops All Sixes and Bloodstone (so it’s now a 2 in 3 chance to get a x2 multiplier on every Heart). I got a progressive multiplier with Constellation, a static multiplier in Ramen, and capped it off with Baseball Card. From there, it was just filling the deck with Hearts and Steel. I one-shotted the final boss and it felt real good.

Next step is filling out the collection but it’ll be nice to play some low stress games with other decks.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Aggro posted:

Finally joined 1.4% of Steam players and beat gold stake after uhhhhh 45 hours of playing. I had multiple runs end in Ante 8, which is a special sort of agonizing. The strategy was Checkered Deck and refresh until the 1st ante has tags for “everything in the next shop is free” and “boss blind adds an extra $15” and then beat the boss blind in two hands.

With that start, you open ante 2 with $25, and if the cards in the shop are decent, you’ll have 1 or 2 jokers and maybe a Jupiter. I ended up with an unexpectedly baller combination — Oops All Sixes and Bloodstone (so it’s now a 2 in 3 chance to get a x2 multiplier on every Heart). I got a progressive multiplier with Constellation, a static multiplier in Ramen, and capped it off with Baseball Card. From there, it was just filling the deck with Hearts and Steel. I one-shotted the final boss and it felt real good.

Next step is filling out the collection but it’ll be nice to play some low stress games with other decks.

Congrats :toot:

Constellation is stupidly powerful. I'm surprised it's uncommon instead of rare.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The joker that gets 0.5x mult and eats a joker makes higher stakes much easier. I nearly expect them to nerf it so it only gets a bonus if it actually destroys a joker. I just cleared Checkered gold with it in my first shop, just throwing out high cards for 750k chips.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I... may have gone slightly overboard with Cloud 9 on this run:

Just for fun, anyone want to try and guess what my other Jokers were? Here's a hint - only 2 of them were for scoring.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I've beaten all the challenges, gotten the highest stake done, and have unlocked and found every single joker.

Except 1.

Goddamnit Chicot just APPEAR you little rear end in a top hat my completionism is killing me.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I've beaten all the challenges, gotten the highest stake done, and have unlocked and found every single joker.

Except 1.

Goddamnit Chicot just APPEAR you little rear end in a top hat my completionism is killing me.

I feel this, I just need Perkeo for Jokers and the second tier vouchers for +1 Discard and Planet Merchant.

I've been running Anaglyph deck for the double tags to use on econ or the voucher tag.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Except 1.

Yeah, the Legendary Jokers can be frustrating because you're relying on a 1-in-5 chance from a fairly rare card.

Though for me the most frustrating card to get ended up being Stone Joker - it took me a while to realize that the card doesn't even appear unless you've already got stone cards in your deck.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

I... may have gone slightly overboard with Cloud 9 on this run:

Just for fun, anyone want to try and guess what my other Jokers were? Here's a hint - only 2 of them were for scoring.

I'm guessing the "get a random card with a seal at the start of every blind" is in the mix, and probably a tarot joker. Or maybe Perkeo? The ratio of apparent duplications to other tarot effects seems high if you were just generating random tarots. I suppose getting $40+ per round does make for a lot of room to buy tarots though.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
here's a pretty good summary of how my abandoned deck runs went last night

PhysicsFrenzy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 8, 2024

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

I'm guessing the "get a random card with a seal at the start of every blind" is in the mix, and probably a tarot joker. Or maybe Perkeo? The ratio of apparent duplications to other tarot effects seems high if you were just generating random tarots. I suppose getting $40+ per round does make for a lot of room to buy tarots though.

Yeah, I've got the Certificate joker that adds a random seal card. No Tarot Joker or Perkeo, though you're right about me having something that's giving extra dupes.

Edit: Anyway, here's the answer if anyone's interested:

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 8, 2024

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

This was a funny run. It didn't look promising at first since I had to take 2 middling Eternals to start, but the Polychrome Stencil into Ceremonial Dagger made it all click. My only issue after that point was getting my Square Joker to scale because even a High Card could 2 or 3-shot the blind :v:

Is the different suits being different colors a mod? I've seen it on a stream but I couldn't find an option at a glance.

Edit I'm dumb it's "High contrast cards"

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 8, 2024

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Looks like Balatro is back on the menu in EU Switch store, in case someone else has been waiting for it! PEGI 18 now, apparently. Good thing all kinds of real money gacha-poo poo is still a-ok.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I finally beat red last night and rounded out my first five.

Now that I understand skips it was super easy. Lots of free holographic Jokers on that run

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dropbear posted:

Looks like Balatro is back on the menu in EU Switch store, in case someone else has been waiting for it! PEGI 18 now, apparently. Good thing all kinds of real money gacha-poo poo is still a-ok.

hardcore

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Dropbear posted:

Does it mean anything at all? I still get spelunky plonked on the suggestion queue when it's on sale even with the PEGI 18 stuff... Maybe it won't be added on the queues of family plans or on accounts that have just PEGI 3 stuff on it but eh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finally getting that Arm nerf :cheers:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It’s BS you don’t get any unlocks from clearing some of the stakes :mad:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Harold Fjord posted:

I finally beat red last night and rounded out my first five.

Now that I understand skips it was super easy. Lots of free holographic Jokers on that run

Is there a trick to skips? I'm REALLY loving bad at this game for some reason - I can't even beat the starting difficulty. I've gotten all the way to the last boss with what felt like ridiculous decks only to have it debuff face cards or some other nonsense that was unwinnable.

Still having fun though!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
We're talking low level difficulty still. I genuinely thought skipping seemed worse than playing because I wasn't looking closely at all. Now I am properly weighing "do i have money to buy the poly joker? Do i need to just grind up my pants more?" etc.

Skip when you get a poly joker and will want to buy a joker. Skip when you get free stuff in the next shop. Don't skip if you need to grind up something.

You can't do anything about unwinnable nonsense except reroll if offered. sometimes it does just happen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Skips can be super powerful, generally you want to go after skips that give a negative/rare joker in the next shop or have enhanced jokers with polychrome. Other than that some skips will give you a big money boost which is situationally dependent, as well as paring with certain jokers like Throwback which grants a xMult boost based on how many blinds you've skipped so far.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You just have to look at the skip and see if it's worth what you'd make in that round +5 gold. They become a lot more enticing as stakes go up.

Gold per played hand, gold per unused discard, 15 gold after beating boss, double your gold, and mega joker pack are the ones I use most often. Negative skip is tbh a trap (that I will almost always do) most of the time unless you're very far ahead.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 8, 2024

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
The downside of skipping is you lose the round benefits and access to the shop. The round benefits are the cash from beating the blind, the hands remaining, and interest. You also lose the chance to power up progressive multipliers.

Some of the skip tags are powerful, like ones that guarantee a negative or polychrome joker. Even ones that give a Mega Arcana or Mega Buffoon pack are solid. Depending on your income, the one for +$15 after the boss or double your money up to $40 are good too. The GOAT is the tag that gives you a completely free shop after the next blind. The rest of the tags kinda suck.

So, if you have little money, a small number of hands, and a Small Blind, skipping is probably worth it. Just don’t skip so much that you end up without any jokers and The Needle as the boss…

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
and then in gold stake you play the small blind because every dollar counts and rare/holo joker at next shop doesn’t mean squat if you can’t afford it and/or clear the first boss blind

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Phone posted:

and then in gold stake you play the small blind because every dollar counts and rare/holo joker at next shop doesn’t mean squat if you can’t afford it and/or clear the first boss blind

I haven't cleared gold yet, but this is why I like the deck that doesn't get interest, but a static +$ for every unspent hand / discard. If you get a good early joker or two, you can really rake in a ton of money even on small blinds by beating them on turn 1 without using any discards. Gets your economy jumpstarted pretty fast.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blueprint + Marble Joker + DNA + heavily upgraded pants + Hologram was a pretty amazing combo, it's fun being able to triple-dip on Blueprint. Still only made it to Ante 12 though, I guess because even my quadratic scaling couldn't keep up with the geometric scaling of the Blinds.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Waffleopolis posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress YOU! :bang:

Oh gently caress, that is agonising.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

At least it's not binding of Isaac where they get removed from the pool so the other one can potentially show up again

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly as much as that sucks, Mask on Ante 1 is still an amazing econ pick. You're gonna be just flooded with cash.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Finally got the completionist achievement with the last thing to get was the upgraded discard voucher.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
TIL if you use a Death tarot to duplicate a mandatory selected card from Cerulean Bell the copy will also be mandatorily selected. :suicide: When it picked one of my steel cards I thought I had a clever solution to get an unplayed steel card back into the mix and instead it killed the hand I wanted to build.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hah! That's... Not something I would have wanted to figure out the hard way. Sorry, man.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I can't seem to complete my collection cause the "cards can appear at the shop" voucher's upgrade never shows up in the shop after unlocking it. It doesn't help that it's a voucher that actively makes your runs harder, so I don't want to buy it unless my run is already going great.

I even restarted a bunch of times to get the first one to spawn in the first ante, but that seems too tedious. At least I got the "buy 5 vouchers by the end of ante 4" achievement.

Hopefully that voucher will get a buff.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I had to google which Tag I was missing because there's one I've never unlocked:

It was Juggle (+3 Hand Size).

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Elman posted:

I can't seem to complete my collection cause the "cards can appear at the shop" voucher's upgrade never shows up in the shop after unlocking it. It doesn't help that it's a voucher that actively makes your runs harder, so I don't want to buy it unless my run is already going great.

I even restarted a bunch of times to get the first one to spawn in the first ante, but that seems too tedious. At least I got the "buy 5 vouchers by the end of ante 4" achievement.

Hopefully that voucher will get a buff.

Honestly, run Anaglyph deck white stake. The ability to dupe a ton of money or voucher tags and fish for the upgrade.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kuros posted:

Honestly, run Anaglyph deck white stake. The ability to dupe a ton of money or voucher tags and fish for the upgrade.

Hah that's a good idea, I wonder how many vouchers I could get in a single shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Today I learned that the boss that makes you lose a dollar per card played can put you in debt!