Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All potters are gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have filled my house with pictures of dudes loving, ironically.

E: I mean it is technically true that ancient greece wasn't gay, because afaik they didn't have the same conception of what that word meant as we do so there is no direct map from what it means to us to back then.

Still a lot of dudes loving each other though.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Mar 8, 2024

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Brawnfire posted:

All potters are gay

Especially Harry

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

can't decide whether "Homosexuality is a decadent modern invention" is even a more ideologically consistent or defensible stance than "the greatest innovation of Christianity is strict sexual shame against things that used to be nbd"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of those vases have pictures of dudes loving on them.

On mine they're playing leapfrog.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

OwlFancier posted:

They were shouting "No homo" in Greek the whole time, but sadly speech bubbles hadn't been invented yet, so people today are under the mistaken impression that they were gay. A misconception that could easily have been avoided if comic books had been invented earlier.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

OwlFancier posted:

They insist it was done in a derogatory way to show how disgusting it was and make fun of the people doing it. Also a bunch of philosophers used their version of the f slur to diss their posting enemies on the forums so obviously being gay wasn't acceptable back then.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Cloacamazing! posted:

They were shouting "No homo" in Greek the whole time, but sadly speech bubbles hadn't been invented yet, so people today are under the mistaken impression that they were gay. A misconception that could easily have been avoided if comic books had been invented earlier.

I read this in the voice of Philomena Cunk.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Panfilo posted:

They insist it was done in a derogatory way to show how disgusting it was and make fun of the people doing it. Also a bunch of philosophers used their version of the f slur to diss their posting enemies on the forums so obviously being gay wasn't acceptable back then.

I think it was more in the forums back then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Panfilo posted:

IIRC the stigma was against being a bottom. That's what you have catamites for.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

OwlFancier posted:

IIRC the stigma was against being a bottom. That's what you have catamites for.

The chad top vs the virgin bottom

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The top is also a nonce in this instance unfortunately. Not sure the greeks were really "better" about the whole business just hosed up in different ways.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I have filled my house with pictures of dudes loving, ironically.

E: I mean it is technically true that ancient greece wasn't gay, because afaik they didn't have the same conception of what that word meant as we do so there is no direct map from what it means to us to back then.

Still a lot of dudes loving each other though.

Generally, the ancient Greek concept was tops and bottoms. If you topped, it didn't matter who you were loving, since you were a top. Likewise, if you bottomed, it didn't matter who you bottomed for, since you were a bottom.

Then as now, bottoms outnumbered tops ten to one, so much like Sparta's slave population they had to be regularly culled. This prevented the development of the uwu for a thousand years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Roman general Sulla was most likely gay, but his real sin was he was a theatre kid

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

man asses have been hosed for thousands of years

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Gay Cavemen. Gayvemen.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Gapemen lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Gay Cavemen. Gayvemen.

Homo Erectus indeed

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Gay Cavemen. Gayvemen.

I bet they had all sorts of cave-based sexual puns

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

is that an atlatl in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
"Tremble before me! My woolly mammoth enters your cave!"

--ancient graffiti

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One caveman invented the hoax that eating rear end is something people do and was astonished when all the other cavemen bought into it. (This happened in 2002.)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The idiots in this case are the people yelling at the article.
https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1765824265994052090

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

OwlFancier posted:

That's what you have catamites for.

I don’t see what rock formations in caves have to do with all this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I am instinctively inclined to yell at consultants unless they're particularly knowledgeably doctors.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Data Graham posted:

can't decide whether "Homosexuality is a decadent modern invention" is even a more ideologically consistent or defensible stance than "the greatest innovation of Christianity is strict sexual shame against things that used to be nbd"

I like reading this with the other definition of "decadent." Homosexuality is like a rich chocolate cake. A nice treat you can have after you're finished with your heterosexuality.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Can have a little homosexuality, as a treat?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Data Graham posted:

They're not arguing it didn't exist, they're arguing that the ancients agreed with the statue pfp guys on Twitter that it was degenerate and wrong.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm based and unwoke so I only gently caress other guys in a homophobic way

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kit Walker posted:

But enough about the Romans

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

I like reading this with the other definition of "decadent." Homosexuality is like a rich chocolate cake. A nice treat you can have after you're finished with your heterosexuality.

And if you eat too much of the cake you will only have ten teeth left.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Panfilo posted:

They're not arguing it didn't exist, they're arguing that the ancients agreed with the statue pfp guys on Twitter that it was degenerate and wrong.

I mean they did….to a degree. Like the ancient world was not that much more accepting than later times. It just was different and weirdly based mostly in hating women somehow

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OwlFancier posted:

And if you eat too much of the cake you will only have ten teeth left.

The other ones decade away :smith:

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Roman general Sulla was most likely gay, but his real sin was he was a theatre kid

I actually taught some students today where I made the claim that Sulla was an early gay icon.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they did….to a degree. Like the ancient world was not that much more accepting than later times. It just was different and weirdly based mostly in hating women somehow

you (general you) don't have to hand it to the Twitter fascist Classical Manhood people, dude, their concepts of classical sexuality are in fact wrong, and other folks will keep going "but classical sexuality isn't like modern sexuality" yes we know and also, the posters we're talking about are wrong about that too and they are not closer to correct

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I just like sharing. :(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

you (general you) don't have to hand it to the Twitter fascist Classical Manhood people, dude, their concepts of classical sexuality are in fact wrong, and other folks will keep going "but classical sexuality isn't like modern sexuality" yes we know and also, the posters we're talking about are wrong about that too and they are not closer to correct

I’m not handing it to anyone. What is right and right and pretending something wrong is true isn’t owning the internet fascist in any real way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

InediblePenguin posted:

Seriously

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kit Walker posted:

—half the guys on Grindr when the RNC is in town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

wash bucket posted:

The idiots in this case are the people yelling at the article.
https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1765824265994052090

Does this have anything to do with that online chud weirdo that had the plushie of a baby in a diaper with his big bearded head? I can’t remember the name and I mix it up with another weirdo all time anyway.