Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'd say Joe really fell apart on immigration and Israel but was fine otherwise. Particularly strong on calling out corporate greed. It was also cathartic to see him heckle the GOP right back, because who hasn't wanted to call out those loving guys at basically every point since the 60s?

Good win on the expectations game for sure. I joked with my pals that I was logging off of Games to watch The Mummy Part 7 but he was more alive than memes would suggest, almost as though social media isn't real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Where do they keep digging up these freaks that they continue to find to do the rebuttals to the SOTU? Do they grow them in a lab?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Where do they keep digging up these freaks that they continue to find to do the rebuttals to the SOTU? Do they grow them in a lab?

they keep trying to use a minority and women chuds because they know how racist the look, but everyone of these people is some dead eyed weirdo. they dont train these guys for chrasisma, they train them to lick boot.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Most of Britt's issues were just stilted delivery that you would see with any generic bad public speakers reading from a teleprompter.

But, the stuttering and fake tears when she went, "And what [sniff] does... he do? H-h--he... [sniff] opened a TikTok [sniff] account for his campaign. You [sniff] r-r-really can't make [wipes away tear] this stuff up." was genuinely strange.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure they're what's left over after taking out what they're actually trying to grow in the lab.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

Oh and the GOP SotU response remains undefeated in strangling the political career of a young “rising star” in the party

https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1765959063685218649

The kitchen setting approaches Marenghiesque levels of textual courage.

This feels like someone saw Kerry on Succession trying to do reporting and considered it aspirational.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But, the stuttering and fake tears when she went, "And what [sniff] does... he do? H-h--he... [sniff] opened a TikTok [sniff] account for his campaign. You [sniff] r-r-really can't make [wipes away tear] this stuff up." was genuinely strange.

Clearly it's some kind of malevolent water spirits or entities that the Dems keep conjuring to assault honest, God-fearing Republicans. First it was Rubio's weird gulp, and now inexplicable tears out of nowhere :iit:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I love how liberals are snowflakes, but Republicans are the ones working themselves up into this fantasy where the Biden administration is a Communist dystopia where every conservative's freedoms have been brutally suppressed and so they have to use secret channels to send out secret broadcasts to their rag-tag band of supporters. (Don't call it "the media", we all know the media hates conservatives so it must not be that!) Girl's going full Katniss because Biden has a TikTok.

I've literally overheard people at work who are fully convinced that Biden will institute martial law if the election doesn't go his way. Which is projection on a level I can't even comprehend.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CNN has a copy of the transcript for the SOTU highlights.

It is going to be framed as a "kickoff of the 2024 campaign" and an introduction to his 2024 platform.

Summary:

- Pledge to restore Roe v. Wade

Did he provide any detail on how he is going to do this? Because this doesn't seem possible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

hooman posted:

Did he provide any detail on how he is going to do this? Because this doesn't seem possible.

He said, "Send me a Democratic congress and 51 votes to eliminate the filibuster to restore Roe v. Wade in the Senate and I will make Roe the law of the land again as one of my first acts."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Clearly it's some kind of malevolent water spirits or entities that the Dems keep conjuring to assault honest, God-fearing Republicans. First it was Rubio's weird gulp, and now inexplicable tears out of nowhere :iit:

I can’t remember, was this before or after the weird one with Bobby Jindal where he criticized the Feds paying for volcano monitoring and then a volcano erupted like days later

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can’t remember, was this before or after the weird one with Bobby Jindal where he criticized the Feds paying for volcano monitoring and then a volcano erupted like days later

After. Jindal was the very first SotU response to Obama because they wanted a non-white person.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

He said, "Send me a Democratic congress and 51 votes to eliminate the filibuster to restore Roe v. Wade in the Senate and I will make Roe the law of the land again as one of my first acts."

Is that a direct quote? My googling is failing me.

EDIT: Why did you put that in quotes, this is what he said: "If Americans send me a Congress that supports the right to choose, I promise you, I will restore Roe v. Wade as the law of the land again!", or am I missing something?

hooman fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 8, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

hooman posted:

Is that a direct quote? My googling is failing me.

I don't have the exact quote memorized, but that was the gist of it.

I'm on a PC now and I'll check the transcript.

Edit: Here is the section:

quote:

Joining us tonight is Kate Cox, a wife and mother from Dallas. She’d become pregnant again, and had a fetus with a fatal condition. Her doctor told Kate that her own life and her ability to have children in the future were at risk if she didn’t act.

Because Texas law banned her ability to act, Kate and her husband had to leave the state to get the what she needed. What her family got through should have never happened as well. But it is happening to too many others.

There are state laws banning the freedom to choose, criminalizing doctors, forcing survivors of rape and incest to leave their states to get the treatment they need.

Many of you in this chamber and my predecessor are promising to pass a national ban on reproductive freedom. My God, what freedom else would you take away?

Look, in its decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court majority wrote the following, and with all due respect justices, “Women are not without electoral, electoral power” — excuse me — “electoral or political power.” You’re about to realize just how much you got right about that.

Clearly, clearly, those bragging about overturning Roe v. Wade have no clue about the power of women.

If you, the American people, send me a Congress that supports the right to choose, I promise you, I will restore Roe v. Wade as the law of the land again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

After. Jindal was the very first SotU response to Obama because they wanted a non-white person.

Americans can do aaaaaaanything.

Though I think this one is actualy going to be the GOAT worst SotU response so far

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1766099245101101531

This is villain coded. It's also really funny that GOP sources aren't posting any clips
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1766095230552465485
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1766096715629666498

This is going to be the main effect of the SotU, imo. Basically expectations were set at a basement level, Biden performed quite well, even did crowd work bits that landed, and this is changing the media narrative. Pundits were falling all over themselves to say how energetic and firey he looked (when they weren't tut-tutting his politicization of the State of the Union of course) Even a Nate had to tip his cap
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1765948350023503952

Also, I thought this was really funny. MTG dressed in head-to-toe MAGA to freak out Dementia Joe and he hits her with the "Look how big you've gotten" grandpa fake surprise
https://twitter.com/RealMayaLuna/status/1765927267232813533

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 8, 2024

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

They should get Das Racist to write a new song to celebrate the combination International House O' Bees

das racist broke up 12 years ago and kool ad has since been cancelled for sex crimes. heems had a new album out last month though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Americans can do aaaaaaanything.

Though I think this one is actualy going to be the GOAT worst SotU response so far

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1766099245101101531

This is villain coded. It's also really funny that GOP sources aren't posting any clips
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1766095230552465485
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1766096715629666498

This is going to be the main effect of the SotU, imo. Basically expectations were set at a basement level, Biden performed quite well, even did crowd work bits that landed, and this is changing the media narrative. Pundits were falling all over themselves to say how energetic and firey he looked (when they weren't tut-tutting his politicization of the State of the Union of course) Even a Nate had to tip his cap
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1765948350023503952

Also, I thought this was really funny. MTG dressed in head-to-toe MAGA to freak out Dementia Joe and he hits her with the "Look how big you've gotten" grandpa fake surprise
https://twitter.com/RealMayaLuna/status/1765927267232813533

yeah, i didnt think biden would do bad but i was expecting an alot more boring low key speech. glad i was wrong. also the crowd work has always been when he is at his best, dude loves talking to people. On the GOP thing. yeah it kinda shows how they dont really have any rising stars that dont come off as weird ghouls. like as someone who reads off scripts to people for work, it get stumbling or loving stuff up, happens every day, but holy poo poo that lady made desantis look like obama. like they hosed up every possible angle with that speech.

also the best part is you can tell greene is pissed that he doesnt react the way she wants him too. its great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

any rising stars

oh?
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1765963925122638215

This is what happens when your editor won't move off the pre-write headline he derived from the text

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Xalidur posted:

I'd say Joe really fell apart on immigration and Israel but was fine otherwise. Particularly strong on calling out corporate greed. It was also cathartic to see him heckle the GOP right back, because who hasn't wanted to call out those loving guys at basically every point since the 60s?

Good win on the expectations game for sure. I joked with my pals that I was logging off of Games to watch The Mummy Part 7 but he was more alive than memes would suggest, almost as though social media isn't real life.

I don’t know the pretend doctor who posts here has assured me that he’s Very Senile and is about to fall apart.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New economic reports out with mostly good news, but a few questions and a few mixed signals that could point to longer-term issues.

Major things:

- For better or worse, it seems like a tight labor market, above average income increases, and above average inflation are going to be "the new normal" for at least a while.

It will possibly get even more lopsided when the boomer generation fully retires and if the low birth/immigration rate continues for the next 20 years.

That's good for most employees and the median American; bad for employers, people who dislike self-checkout, people who spend a disproportionate amount of their income on services provided by low-wage workers, and people who don't get raises for 4+ years.

- Fed schedule unlikely to change at all.

Expect 2-3 rate cuts this year.

Savings, CD, mortgage, and money market rates expected to go down, stock market expected to go up after those cuts.

- Labor force participation rate seems to have settled into a new equilibrium.

It's above pre-pandemic high, but below the 90's peak.

- Manufacturing continues its 30-year trend of decline, but all other sectors are expanding.

Healthcare, education, leisure/hospitality, and state/local governments are driving about 63% of the total job growth.

Construction, retail, and business services are driving ~36% of the increase.

quote:

A handful of industries have been driving much of the recent job gains: education and health care, leisure and hospitality, and state and local governments. Those sectors led the way again in February, but growth was relatively broad-based, with only one big category (manufacturing) losing jobs.

- The unemployment rate rose slightly from 3.7% to 3.9%.

This is a potentially mixed increase because it could be indicative of a trend of more people becoming unemployed (combined with the large overall job growth, this implies that some industries - most likely tech and manufacturing - are shedding workers who do not want to shift to other industries while other industries are over-performing) or it could be a positive trend of more people who had given up on looking for work now getting back into the market.

The fact that only 18% of unemployed people are currently "long-term" unemployed seems to indicate that the issue is likely a combination of recent layoffs for certain sectors and people who had previously given up looking for work are now searching again. Have to keep an eye out for any long-term trends, but given the tight labor market the unemployment rate is expected to stay well below 5% for a long time - barring some kind of huge economic disaster.

- Real income continues to rise.

YoY Inflation was 3.1%.

YoY Median income rose 4.3%

Real income rose 1.2%

- American perceptions of the economy have improved significantly, but a majority of Americans are still pessimistic about the economy overall.

The % of Americans who say the economy is "Poor" has dropped from 73% last year to 51% now.

The % of Americans who say the economy is "Good" has risen from 7% to 19%.

The % of Americans who say the economy is "Excellent" has risen from 1% to 7%.

The % of Americans who say the economy is "Only Fair" has remained mostly unchanged.

- Still, a majority (52%) of Americans say they are now personally better off than they were 5 years ago.

And another 23% say they are "about the same" as they were 5 years ago.

- tl;dr version:

The trend from the last few months: tight labor market, higher than average inflation, higher than average wage increases seems to be continuing.

It is now a moderately bad time to work in certain parts of the tech or manufacturing industries.

It is now a good time to work anywhere else, especially in the education/service industry/healthcare fields.

High inflation rates are basically over everywhere except housing. However, overall inflation remains slightly above historical averages and prices remain high for food because of the huge 2022 and 2023 price jumps at the grocery store.

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1766094937030864943

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/08/business/jobs-report-february-economy

quote:

U.S. Employers Added 275,000 Jobs, Exceeding Expectations

The labor market showed resiliency in February, another sign that economic growth is still strong.

There is plenty of good news under the hood in this jobs report as well. For instance, the long-term unemployed as a share of the total unemployed population dropped to 18.7 percent from 20.8 percent. (It’s officially measured as being unemployed for 27 weeks or longer).

This suggests that even if laid-off workers are not getting snapped up by new employers immediately, there are still relatively few languishing on the sidelines for months on end. In the summer of 2011, coming out of the Great Recession, roughly 1 in 2 workers were long-term unemployed.

The S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite jumped around after the numbers were announced but are drifting slightly higher in premarket trading, suggesting investors aren’t too worried the jobs numbers will drastically alter the Fed’s rate-cutting plans.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 8, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Once the calendar year changed, a ton of big companies in tech started laying people off. Microsoft was one of them but they are just one of many.

It’s been an awful, awful year if you work anywhere around the video game dev sector and it’s only March.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

oh?
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1765963925122638215

This is what happens when your editor won't move off the pre-write headline he derived from the text

yeah NYT sucks poo poo. its a bunch of rich assholes writing for other rich assholes.

New economic reports out with mostly good news, but a few questions and a few mixed signals that could point to longer-term issues.

Major things:

- For better or worse, it seems like a tight labor market, above average income increases, and above average inflation are going to be "the new normal" for at least a while.

It will possibly get even more lopsided when the boomer generation fully retires and if the low birth/immigration rate continues for the next 20 years.

That's good for most employees and the median American; bad for employers, people who dislike self-checkout, people who spend a disproportionate amount of their income on services provided by low-wage workers, and people who don't get raises for 4+ years.

- Fed schedule unlikely to change at all.

Expect 2-3 rate cuts this year.

Savings, CD, mortgage, and money market rates expected to go down, stock market expected to go up after those cuts.

- Labor force participation rate seems to have settled into a new equilibrium.

It's above pre-pandemic high, but below the 90's peak.

- Manufacturing continues its 30-year trend of decline, but all other sectors are expanding.

Healthcare, education, leisure/hospitality, and state/local governments are driving about 63% of the total job growth.

Construction, retail, and business services are driving ~36% of the increase.

- The unemployment rate rose slightly from 3.7% to 3.9%.

This is a potentially mixed increase because it could be indicative of a trend of more people becoming unemployed (combined with the large overall job growth, this implies that some industries - most likely tech and manufacturing - are shedding workers who do not want to shift to other industries while other industries are over-performing) or it could be a positive trend of more people who had given up on looking for work now getting back into the market.

The fact that only 18% of unemployed people are currently "long-term" unemployed seems to indicate that the issue is likely a combination of recent layoffs for certain sectors and people who had previously given up looking for work are now searching again. Have to keep an eye out for any long-term trends, but given the tight labor market the unemployment rate is expected to stay well below 5% for a long time - barring some kind of huge economic disaster.

- Real income continues to rise.

YoY Inflation was 3.1%.

YoY Median income rose 4.3%

Real income rose 1.2%

- American perceptions of the economy have improved significantly, but a majority of Americans are still pessimistic about the economy overall.

The % of Americans who say the economy is "Poor" has dropped from 73% last year to 51% now.

The % of Americans who say the economy is "Good" has risen from 7% to 19%.

The % of Americans who say the economy is "Excellent" has risen from 1% to 7%.

The % of Americans who say the economy is "Only Fair" has remained mostly unchanged.

- Still, a majority (52%) of Americans say they are now personally better off than they were 5 years ago.

And another 23% say they are "about the same" as they were 5 years ago.

- tl;dr version:

The trend from the last few months: tight labor market, higher than average inflation, higher than average wage increases seems to be continuing.

It is now a moderately bad time to work in certain parts of the tech or manufacturing industries.

It is now a good time to work anywhere else, especially in the education/service industry/healthcare fields.

High inflation rates are basically over everywhere except housing. However, overall inflation remains slightly above historical averages and prices remain high for food because of the huge 2022 and 2023 price jumps at the grocery store.

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1766094937030864943

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/08/business/jobs-report-february-economy

not shocking. i know my company isnt doing any layoffs, I am having issues with my current project so i am probably jumping to a new contract thats a dollar more and fed benifits so now i will upward like an all goons.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 8, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden got caught on a hot mic after the SotU telling Michael Bennet that he has a secret meeting planned with Netenyahu that is going to be a "come to Jesus meeting" and some people are attacking him for making an "anti-Semitic comment" (telling Israel they are going to have a "come to Jesus" meeting) and for secretly mistreating a foreign leader and U.S. ally.

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1766133732304462061
https://twitter.com/amuse/status/1766124748398825610

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 8, 2024

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Biden got caught on a hot mic after the SotU telling Michael Bennet that he has a secret meeting planned with Netenyahu that is going to be a "come to Jesus meeting" and some people are attacking him for making an "anti-Semitic comment" (telling Israel they are going to have a "come to Jesus" meeting) and for secretly mistreating a foreign leader and U.S. ally.

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1766133732304462061
https://twitter.com/amuse/status/1766124748398825610

Instantly goes up 20% with the evangelical vote.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Cthulhumatic posted:

Instantly goes up 20% with the evangelical vote.

Right? I wonder who the RNC thinks is going to be mad about this. Also, there is no such thing as an unanticipated hot mic on the floor of SOTU.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also on the hot mic, he says he wishes he was cognitively impaired to Congressman Jerry Nadler.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1765947902805897242

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 8, 2024

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Also on the hot mic, he says he wishes he was cognitively impaired to Congressman Jerry Nadler.

Ok? Again? Where is the burger in this nothingburger?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shammypants posted:

Ok? Again? Where is the burger in this nothingburger?

Not saying there is anything "there," but Presidential hot mic moments are kind of interesting to hear. The "come to Jesus moment" being accused of anti-Semitism was funny.

People still talk about his 2010 hot mic moment 14 years later and Obama/Trump had some interesting hot mic moments as well.

Shammypants posted:

Also, there is no such thing as an unanticipated hot mic on the floor of SOTU.

The mics were from the C-SPAN cameras in the House gallery. He wasn't mic'd up.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 8, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Biden's strength is when he gets old man cranky with people who deserve it; I'm 65% sure that he won 2020 based on "C'mon man" alone. Please continue openly insulting the GOP and Israel, Mr President.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

can't wait for the right-wing bleating about how it's not fair that he's turning their joke around on them again

Byzantine posted:

Biden's strength is when he gets old man cranky with people who deserve it; I'm 65% sure that he won 2020 based on "C'mon man" alone. Please continue openly insulting the GOP and Israel, Mr President.

also very much so, when he loses patience is when everyone loves him the most. we've come a long way from dog-faced pony soldier, that's for sure

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I still wish they had tried to make a meme out of "a bunch of stuff" instead of "malarkey"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah that SotU has them on skates. They were probably planning on going hard on the Say Her Name MTG bullshit but Biden completely torpedoed it. It may not sound good to us, but politically, it was a massive win.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

gotta get an onion article now where the gop workshops biden being "too fresh, too energetic" like whoa slow down with the exuberant fire bro we're all about doddering contemplativeness now. conservative ops heading to their cnn interviews with marching orders to now paint biden as too peppy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wilson__Valdez/status/1766134145887994236
chris is the dumbest loving pundit.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thats extremely relatable

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alas, It's fake.

Staluigi posted:

gotta get an onion article now where the gop workshops biden being "too fresh, too energetic" like whoa slow down with the exuberant fire bro we're all about doddering contemplativeness now. conservative ops heading to their cnn interviews with marching orders to now paint biden as too peppy

Sorry the Onion is still trying to atone for single handedly getting Diamond Joe elected by making him look cool.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1765920407939428809

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Katie Britt is the youngest Republican woman to ever be elected to the Senate. I can see why they'd want to position her as a riding star.

Unfortunately for them, she's a nepotism elemental who won her seat entirely by cozying up to anyone whose endorsement might possibly benefit her. Her whole private sector career was spent building close relationships with prominent Alabama politicians and special interests. And then when she ran in her first election ever in 2022, she went full MAGA and received the crucial Trump endorsement that boosted her to victory in the GOP primary, which might as well be the real election in Alabama.

Turns out you don't have to be a good public speaker to inherit your mentor's Senate seat in a blood-red state!

This is the most relatable a president has ever been.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Turns out you don't have to be a good public speaker to inherit your mentor's Senate seat in a blood-red state!

That's the weird thing, she's not a bad public speaker

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1766139478668685427

I guess she just choked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

zoux posted:

That's the weird thing, she's not a bad public speaker

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1766139478668685427

I guess she just choked

Love to see ghouls get the yips.