Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burns posted:

The better question is why was House Harkonnen allowed to have their own homeworld and also Arrakis while the Atredies were forced to leave their homeworld Caliban(Karridan??).

Oh god its answered in the hundred books from Herbert's son, isnt it.

House Harkonnen just ran Arrakis basically, while Leto was being given Arrakis. That is why they went knowingly into the trap because it was basically the Emperor jangling the keys to the car and going "All yours!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Scarabrae posted:

Also as a gen xer that grew up with the Lynch film I’m still having a hard time with the changes in pronunciation even if they are herbert estate approved
I'm irrationally annoyed by how they say Sietch TAB-ruh in the movie. It's TAB-ber, probably Frank's play on the Czech word tábor, meaning camp or encampment.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

and to head off the potential next question, leto knew it was a trap but deliberately decided to spring it anyway, banking on leveraging the fremen against the harks and not counting on the emperor to risk deploying his own troops

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leto can really drat close to it too, arguably a matter of months, maybe weeks, from turning the Freman from potential enemies into loyal allies. It took like three different "this has never happened before/this is totally unexpected" things to pull it off and it still ended (in the short term) with a massive disaster for the invaders and in the long run with Paul on the throne anyway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kalel posted:

and to head off the potential next question, leto knew it was a trap but deliberately decided to spring it anyway, banking on leveraging the fremen against the harks and not counting on the emperor to risk deploying his own troops

Also to defy the emperor’s command and stay on Caladan would have led to the same result, Sardaukar invasion. Only this way without the possibility of a Fremen army to come to the rescue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Also to defy the emperor’s command and stay on Caladan would have led to the same result, Sardaukar invasion. Only this way without the possibility of a Fremen army to come to the rescue.

They did have the choice of taking the House Atomics and going into exile, but Leto gambled on Desert Power.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Yeah there's some planet that gets name dropped in Dune where the exiled houses live and the Guild charges them outrageously for their safety.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

kalel posted:

in the room where the water of life is produced, there are two circular pools, one of sand and one of water, which sit side-by-side.

like balls of ibad.... keeping the life giving piss....... the prophecy......... *prayer call sounds intensify*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

like balls of ibad.... keeping the life giving piss....... the prophecy......... *prayer call sounds intensify*

your posting is written poo poo-fashion, who taught you how to do this?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kalel posted:

your posting is written poo poo-fashion, who taught you how to do this?

It seemed the natural way to them

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ithle01 posted:

Yeah there's some planet that gets name dropped in Dune where the exiled houses live and the Guild charges them outrageously for their safety.
Tupile, IIRC.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Caladan these nutz, gottem

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Pretty sure Dunespeak for “shut up” is going to be “ay-ihhh, I invoke the silence upon him” or “be as unto muad dib, the hopping mouse, in the presence of the sand falcon” or something

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Pretty sure Dunespeak for “shut up” is going to be “ay-ihhh, I invoke the silence upon him” or “be as unto muad dib, the hopping mouse, in the presence of the sand falcon” or something

may thy lips chap and shutter

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kalel posted:

may thy lips chap and shutter

Ahh, there it is.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dune 2 still good the second time. Not being in the front row is less impressive but also didn't make me sick so who can say

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/the_spkr/status/1765701401185751277?t=SGtw2p0MMleKFnaDCM8G9g&s=19

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
still good on 6th watch. 15 movie credits left

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its basically just the opec embargo In Space

which is kind of a trip, because the embargo was 1973 and dune was out 1965

Frank understood material conditions, spice is very much blatantly oil and CHOAM is OPEC, and the blatantly Muslim-descended tribesmen living in a desert that's got fuckall natural resources except for a ludicrously valuable and vital one for the broader world is very much on purpose.

Kinda funny that Dune still stands out in sci-fi as not only prominently featuring influence from non-western cultures, but taking it seriously and featuring it prominently rather than a wacky sideshow.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
From literary genius Frank Herbert's son comes the sci fi classic, Humidis

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Did you draw this?

If yes, you deserve all my water dirt

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Did you draw this?

If yes, you deserve all my water dirt

Yes. I spent way too long trying to work out what the Humidis version of sandworms and spice miners would be, until I realised that's just like whales and boats

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Yes. I spent way too long trying to work out what the Humidis version of sandworms and spice miners would be, until I realised that's just like whales and boats

Basically Dishonoreds Magic Whale Ambergris

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol the governor's wife from humidis was named hawtina

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frank understood material conditions, spice is very much blatantly oil and CHOAM is OPEC, and the blatantly Muslim-descended tribesmen living in a desert that's got fuckall natural resources except for a ludicrously valuable and vital one for the broader world is very much on purpose.

Kinda funny that Dune still stands out in sci-fi as not only prominently featuring influence from non-western cultures, but taking it seriously and featuring it prominently rather than a wacky sideshow.

its also vital for transportation and the global galactic economy is built on it

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

https://collider.com/dune-movies-butlerian-jihad/

Brian Herbert sockpuppet account detected

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

We could get Keven Costner to play the lead character?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Stillsuits are now Pneumasuits, recycling oxygen from your farts

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Alucard posted:

Oh for fucks sake. :ughh:

Him and K.J. Andersarse are a blight on the Dune universe.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yea why couldn't Brain Hrebert get the good star wars guy (zahn) at the very least

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alucard posted:

Ryan Looney wrote this.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

Oh for fucks sake. :ughh:

Him and K.J. Andersarse are a blight on the Dune universe.

and is this "realduneauthor" in the room with us right now?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
It's Butlerian Crusade now.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Austin Butlerian Jihad

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bubblyblubber posted:

and is this "realduneauthor" in the room with us right now?

Pretty sure the real one is long dead. :birdthunk:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Someone ask Brian Herbert if beating off is illegal on arrakis

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

Someone ask Brian Herbert if beating off is illegal on arrakis

wasting your body's water was noted as verboten by frank

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I have thought about the movie alot more and I think the lack of a time skip and shoving everything into a 6 month span of time ruined the movie for me personally, it just becomes a stretch for the characters motivations imo.

I think Denis failed creatively with Alia, and the death of Paul’s first son is what makes it believable for me that he goes gently caress it burn it all down. So the removal of all of that just kind of took me out of the movie.

This is my opinion and I recognize the movie is amazing in many other ways and if it gets more people to read the book then that’s cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wasting your body's water was noted as verboten by frank

As long as your jackin' it in your still suit, it's probably fine.