Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chomposaur posted:

Holding down square while riding the moogle is a pretty rad constant stream of AE damage that seems to have solid ATB gain too, it's particularly useful for just moshing in there and wrecking things, or when there's some evasive mobs that pop out occasionally it puts out hits so regularly that it's nice at smacking them while they're vulnerable (holding down square while unmounted also pulses out some pretty constant damage but not very high from what I can tell)

I have to play with it more to see if it's actually useful but I get a kick out of using the synergy skill "all out assault", you're kinda just administering a three person beatdown to whatever you're targeting

I've heard some of his abilities scale with luck which would make sense but I can't say I've tested it personally and I've been a bit wary at looking up stuff on the internet

After doing his simulator tutorial, it seems like a significant portion of his mechanics involve the Moogle gaining charges to use its triangle skill, which will basically never happen outside of boss fights because the fights aren't long enough. One charge gives access to some nifty things, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Sorry if it’s been asked a bunch, but can I build up weapon skill proficiency with a character I’m not directly controlling, just issuing commands to?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
just got to chapter 8 and frankly every chapter should start with a dance off and :love:Dio:love:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Glide de Chocobo is steaming dogshit. First time I've done a minigame and said gently caress this. Why can't I look with the look stick? No invert to fly? Boring flight speed and no feedback on if the swoop will work. It's just horrible.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't really want spoilers but can anyone sort of give me the rough story beat from ff7og that rebirth ends on?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it ends at the forgotten capital

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JBP posted:

Glide de Chocobo is steaming dogshit. First time I've done a minigame and said gently caress this. Why can't I look with the look stick? No invert to fly? Boring flight speed and no feedback on if the swoop will work. It's just horrible.

Yeah I’m in this boat too. It sucks bad.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

WaltherFeng posted:

Has anyone experimented with auto weapon ability and auto unique ability materias?

Is the AI smart enough to use them in the right situation? Like Focus attacks when the enemy is pressured? Does Cloud use punisher mode etc.

I suppose I could test myself in the simulator later

I tested this myself and AI seems pretty good. I wouldnt use the "Auto weapon ability" though because the AI seems very conservative with its skill use and you need those synergy stacks ASAP.

Auto unique ability is very good on Barret and Tifa for couple reasons:

-Barret's unique is cooldown based so the AI will use it as soon as possible. It's a flat bonus to your party's DPS
- Tifa uses her stagger multiplier increasing unique when the enemy is staggered. This is also a flat DPS bonus because it means you can do damage with lets say Cloud's Punisher mode while Tifa is doing her triangle Rise and Fall > Omnistrike > Uppercut combo

Basically Cloud, Tifa and Barret I'd say is the ideal party for beginners because there's a lot of good synergy.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 8, 2024

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah I’m in this boat too. It sucks bad.

Im also in the boat. The lack of inverted controls & no ability to look around is just weird. I kept having to pause and go into photo mode just to see where I was supposed to be going.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sorry for the hot take but the Gold Saucer is the least fun I’ve had in this game so far. Can we get on with the plot please and not force me to attempt the 6 minigames in a row, bringing the count to something like 20+ so far in the game

E: oh hey, my favorite type of coliseum fight: a two person match against 8 enemies who both attack too fast, and stagger their attacks in such a way I can’t do anything

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 8, 2024

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

SettingSun posted:

Sorry for the hot take but the Gold Saucer is the least fun I’ve had in this game so far. Can we get on with the plot please and not force me to attempt the 6 minigames in a row, bringing the count to something like 20+ so far in the game

E: oh hey, my favorite type of coliseum fight: a two person match against 8 enemies who both attack too fast, and stagger their attacks in such a way I can’t do anything

One windstorm with Yuffie renders most normal enemies harmless due to the stunlock.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're forced to use Cloud and Aerith if you're trying when that first turns up but you can just give up and come back later

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I enjoyed the bike minigame if only because the hardy daytona is my favorite video game motorcycle.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
For those struggling with the simulated mind flayer fight, just bring one character(I used barret for his single target capability)

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

SettingSun posted:

I kinda wish they dialled back Costa Del Sol a little bit and not had such a focus on all the minigames as it makes GS feel a bit like a rerun when you get there (Barret even comments on it!) as you've *just* had a little break town where you're forced to play minigames in a very similar way

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

You're forced to use Cloud and Aerith if you're trying when that first turns up but you can just give up and come back later

I think you get whichever character you have the highest relationship with, so some combos work better for first trying it than others.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

Sorry if it’s been asked a bunch, but can I build up weapon skill proficiency with a character I’m not directly controlling, just issuing commands to?

Yes, you just have to use the ability.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Chapter 9 cemented to me how special the story is if you played the original back in the day, a sort of Trainspotting 2 situation, where it's a story aware of the nostalgia with itself and so on. The game itself for me oscillates between this is the best thing Square has done since KH2 and this game is trash and im throwing it on the garbage bin (some of the sidestuff like the one with yufee and the protorelic).
The graphics too can look really jank at times, like they forgot to bake in lighting in some interiors, it's kinda weird.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SettingSun posted:

You don't have to do anything. Just enter punisher mode and block.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think you get whichever character you have the highest relationship with, so some combos work better for first trying it than others.

Oh whoops yeah forgot that was dependent on relationship score lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The Sephiroth 3D brawler fight is gonna gatekeep people harder than Malenia lmao

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah Aerith and I were hanging out in Gold Saucer and while I'm sure she's got power under the hood she's dead weight in battle for me. I'll learn her eventually. I think the only reason I'd return to the Battle Square is if I was really hard up for GP. Some of these minigames are just straight up not worth the effort they require.

I'm finally back on track in the Desert Prison which means there are new QB players to challenge which is the only minigame I care about. And annoyingly, the only one which doesn't (yet?) award anything applicable to other parts of the game.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I pop Aeris' Radiant Ward always cause that makes her normal attack spam a laser beam and u build ATB so drat fast with it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I say this a bit but I can't recommend using spell blade Cloud - Aerith synergy to get them both two bars nearly instantly more highly. Drop her wards and let her rip. Dropping double spells does some absolutely outrageous damage.

E: once the wards are down the rotation is extremely simple. Use Cloud to do a spell blade (or Yuffie foxfire whatever), twice preferably again. Switch to Aerith and press triangle to teleport to the ward, open the menu and select a word ending in -ara or -aga, look on aghast.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 8, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Put this down for a day for work after beating the queens blood tournament and I picked this up again and I just can't stop laughing and posing for pictures next to red in his little human costume

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chomposaur posted:

Holding down square while riding the moogle is a pretty rad constant stream of AE damage that seems to have solid ATB gain too, it's particularly useful for just moshing in there and wrecking things, or when there's some evasive mobs that pop out occasionally it puts out hits so regularly that it's nice at smacking them while they're vulnerable (holding down square while unmounted also pulses out some pretty constant damage but not very high from what I can tell)

I have to play with it more to see if it's actually useful but I get a kick out of using the synergy skill "all out assault", you're kinda just administering a three person beatdown to whatever you're targeting

I've heard some of his abilities scale with luck which would make sense but I can't say I've tested it personally and I've been a bit wary at looking up stuff on the internet

Yeah Cait Sith seems really good to me. He puts out tons of buffs and debuffs and actually does quite a lot of damage. I guess the downside is needing to use ATB to do his Moogle stuff and the inherent luck factor to his abilites(though unlike the OG it doesn’t seem like there are any bad outcomes)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think I asked this before in Remake's time but have forgotten the answer because it didn't sink in for reasons that will become obvious.

What is meant by a "type of command"? There's a materia that says it gives you a boost after using "3 types of commands" and an accessory that gives you one after "5 types of commands". I am wracking my brains and have absolutely no idea what the gently caress this means. What the gently caress does this mean? I can find no reference in any menu or tutorial to a "type of command".

At least we don't have "Refocus: Activate Refocus Limit Break" anymore. But we still have whatever the gently caress this is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fedule posted:

I think I asked this before in Remake's time but have forgotten the answer because it didn't sink in for reasons that will become obvious.

What is meant by a "type of command"? There's a materia that says it gives you a boost after using "3 types of commands" and an accessory that gives you one after "5 types of commands". I am wracking my brains and have absolutely no idea what the gently caress this means. What the gently caress does this mean? I can find no reference in any menu or tutorial to a "type of command".

At least we don't have "Refocus: Activate Refocus Limit Break" anymore. But we still have whatever the gently caress this is.

It literally just means different unique commands(spells or abilities). Maybe items? Not sure about that. So if a character uses a lot of different abilities spells(Like Tifa or Cloud) it’s pretty good on them

Like, on Tifa using Unbridled Strength, Dropkick, and Focused Strike would be 3 different types of commands.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Okay, so I really like this game, but I absolutely feel stuck in minigame hell. Costa del Sol was a slog, and I can only imagine the golden saucer will be much worse. The end of chapter 4 was spectacular, and the ship had some incredible moments, but I’m so sick of minigames gently caress crunches!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I finally beat Jules 57 to 49 (I lost my combo with 3 seconds left on the clock but so did he, I don't think he could have caught up even if he kept going). I did have to disable the adaptive triggers though. Now to move on and just not use the championship belt at all.

The Corel area really wanted me to collect a hell of a lot of zinc for item crafting. Is the game trying to tell me something about my diet?

And how far do I need to go into the game before I finally get a Revive materia? I'm finally getting good enough to fight the VR summons with the training wheels removed, but it can get rough if somebody gets nuked since I can't sit them back up with items.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had one either then or not long after but can't remember where I got it lol think it was just in the vending machine/materia store?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I thought I'd finish the game last night but it turns out Temple of the Ancients is kind of a whole thing, like drat. Nice to finally get a boss fight out of Tseng though, and I'm happy Reno is finally back so that is also nice. Also Cloud was getting pretty scary before I had to go to bed at nearly 4 in the morning.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can find a Revive materia in chapter 7, and buy it starting in 10.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Shithead Island is amazing but I have never smashed easy mode faster than I did for some of those double summon fights

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I got to Costa del Sol and just Segwayd around for about five minutes having a blast just knocking poo poo over before I realised you get stuff for driving it and I immediately lost all will to do it despite being halfway to 4ks BC mental illness I guess?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Shithead Island is amazing

Do not drop by my house uninvited like that ever again

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

With how many complaints the thread had about Glide de Chocobo I expected some kind of virtual torture simulator but doing all the stages was... fine? The second stage took me a decent number of tries to get rank 3 on but all together the sidequest took me about an hour. I dunno.

Got near to the end of Chapter 10 last night. Looking to clear out the map tonight and hopefully knock out the whole game by next weekend? At like 60 hours but I've seen people say they've taken 100 hours for this game so I dunno if I can squeeze all that out over these next few days.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I got to Costa del Sol and just Segwayd around for about five minutes having a blast just knocking poo poo over before I realised you get stuff for driving it and I immediately lost all will to do it despite being halfway to 4ks BC mental illness I guess?

The thing you get does not seem worth it at all. The shooting minigame gave time materia as a reward and it made me want to tear my hair out, but I did it anyway because disorder spam with that lightning enemy skill is hilarious and I want as much ATB as possible.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I found Cid and what the hell? Who is this Balenciaga lookin motherfucker.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I actually liked the shooting mini game. Turning on motion controls made it so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Okay, so I really like this game, but I absolutely feel stuck in minigame hell. Costa del Sol was a slog, and I can only imagine the golden saucer will be much worse. The end of chapter 4 was spectacular, and the ship had some incredible moments, but I’m so sick of minigames gently caress crunches!

I'm kind of in the same boat. I think Rebirth does some stuff really well; like the minigames are well designed and easy to do the bare minimum in, but there are SO many of them. I think I'm going to have to make myself start skipping content because the story and characterization are fantastic but the sheer volume of minigames iskind of sucking the air out of the rest of the game.

I keep saying that but keep getting sucked into side content. I feel like you miss real story stuff if you skip the protorelics, or queens blood.