Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

johnny park posted:

Anyone have any tips for dealing with detector towers? Assaulting them is always a really grueling and reinforcement-costly process. Can you snipe the eye with an RR or anything?

An Orbital Laser will take it out like 2/3 of the time if you haven't activated the base yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Unlocked the Dominator, and not sure why I don't see people using it more, especially against bots.

You can single shot all little guys, and then devestators all only take one shot to the head to take down as well.

Also I pretend I am using a 40K boltgun.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

BadLlama posted:

Unlocked the Dominator, and not sure why I don't see people using it more, especially against bots.

You can single shot all little guys, and then devestators all only take one shot to the head to take down as well.

i want to like the dominator more but it just falls short of the slugger in every way that counts imo

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

BadLlama posted:

I tried it and it was decent but it's the awkward stepchild between the Defender and Slugger of not being specialized at clearing groups of raiders or dropping devastators, and felt awful when a berserker pack runs you down.

If you've got perfect accuracy great but when I'm in a hectic situation with an elite devastator staring me down, the slugger staggering them if I hit their shoulder or chin instead of getting the headshot is a lifesaver. Same for picking off half a dozen raiders before they start lighting you up and ruining your aim with hitstun, the defender is great at fighting through that.

Darox fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 8, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Darox posted:

The AC is great against bots, it has many advantages over the Railgun. It's much faster/more efficient at picking off striders, it kills devastators in 2-3 shots faster than a railgun can kill and importantly it staggers them on each shot so there's fewer issues about rocket devastators getting a volley off or heavy devastators throwing off your aim while charging. It even staggers heavies on direct shield hits unlike the railgun, though bad angles will still make it bounce off. The AC can also demolish tanks, cannon turrets and hulks extremely quickly if their back heat cores are exposed, though it's not very good from other angles. Unloading on dropship passengers before they can drop or hitting spawners from a distance are also nice benefits.

The trade off is that the Railgun gets a backpack slot, can reload on the move, is better for corner peeking and is much better at killing Hulks from the front. The railgun sucks against Tanks/Turrets from any side though. It can kill them, but it's very slow.
forget the railgun, the GL just seems to do everything and anything short of killing hulks

GL + supply pack against bots, AC against bugs seems to be my emerging MO

(e) this is on 4 or 5 difficulty lest anyone take this as sage advice lol

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ciaphas posted:

forget the railgun, the GL just seems to do everything and anything short of killing hulks

FYI there's no difference in damage/HP numbers on enemies between difficulties, so you can do weapon testing on Difficulty 1 if you want and it'll still apply to Diff 9. Just might run into a lot more targets for testing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

KirbyKhan posted:

I did an ICBM launch last night and saluted while it was going off. 5 steps behind terminal is still within lethal range, gonna try 10 steps next time.

I want to watch the pretty missile launch without dying :saddowns:

While intention was clearly "More wacky ways to kill divers", the fact it generally means you will no longer be watching the big display of particle effects? Giving me flashbacks to a game that got a patch to set you on fire if you drove fast enough to notice the graphical pop in longer than ten seconds.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ciaphas posted:

tbf todays 5 feels like yesterdays 8 at times.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Section Z posted:

I want to watch the pretty missile launch without dying :saddowns:

While intention was clearly "More wacky ways to kill divers", the fact it generally means you will no longer be watching the big display of particle effects? Giving me flashbacks to a game that got a patch to set you on fire if you drove fast enough to notice the graphical pop in longer than ten seconds.

Just stand back a little more? I don't think I've ever died from it I just got blown back by the blast. But at a certain point I had to stop gawking at the awesome explosion because we usually have to be on the move asap anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another curious bug. That's me on the water, the water hurt me until the hp you can see, but somehow I'm not totally dead... except part of the game says I'm dead, because I can spectate the other players with the A/D keys. And other parts of the game believe I'm alive, because I can't respawn.

:/

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I really wish we had a firing range or something where we could test out weapons before spending the resources to unlock them. (And then finding out you really don't like them)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Another curious bug. That's me on the water, the water hurt me until the hp you can see, but somehow I'm not totally dead... except part of the game says I'm dead, because I can spectate the other players with the A/D keys. And other parts of the game believe I'm alive, because I can't respawn.

Same thing happened to me on PS5 yesterday

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Breaker spray and pray worth using at all since the buff?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I guess Tien Kwan just liberated? It's sitting at 99.00000% but the Major Order has disappeared. No reward payout yet. Must be still updating.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I just noticed they renamed the Liberator Explosive into the Liberator Concussive, which is a way more accurate description of what it actually does!

I also tested something with the incendiary grenade: the puddles of fire it leaves on the floor do not even kill a tiny scavenger bug. They catch fire but it wears off in a couple seconds without killing them. I don't think the incendiary grenade is very good.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

OH poo poo you can buy the Patriot Exosuit now, at the very bottom of the Stratagems list. 20000 Requisitions. GOGOGO

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mech Stratagems are now available

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/helldivers2/status/1766129205509546468?s=20

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Last night my Slugger took down a Hulk with two shots to its back. I'd honestly never bothered trying that with any other primaries previously. Is this another one of the Slugger's advantages or is the Hulk's weak spot more vulnerable to small arms than I'd assumed?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Had the same thing happen to me, in exactly the same circumstances. Had to get a teammate to kill me to be able to do anything.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i want to like the dominator more but it just falls short of the slugger in every way that counts imo

I haven't got the slugger yet but aiming for it next.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Exo-45 Patriot Exosuit, 2 uses, 600 second cooldown time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dinosaurs! posted:

Last night my Slugger took down a Hulk with two shots to its back. I'd honestly never bothered trying that with any other primaries previously. Is this another one of the Slugger's advantages or is the Hulk's weak spot more vulnerable to small arms than I'd assumed?
Takes more shots than that, must have been shot by someone else.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Durzel posted:

Had the same thing happen to me, in exactly the same circumstances. Had to get a teammate to kill me to be able to do anything.

Five minutes later a patrol bot passed and killed me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dinosaurs! posted:

Unlike chargers, it seems Hulk weakpoints on the back are actual weakpoints, even the breaker could do the job so far as me and others running around them in terror have shown (unless we just didn't notice someone sniping them from a distance)

The real tricky part is when hulks remember they have access to Darksouls 2 turn rates as fast as light armor can sprint. Which has lead to some wild idiocy against one-armed hulks where neither of us can kill eachother.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

maybe i shouldn't have spent 20,000 reqs unlocking everything left yesterday

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

meteors sure are a thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Two uses per mission is nicer than I expected!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

hmm I tried buying it by holding x but nothing happens, I guess it's still a bit bugged

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

First mech test: I blew myself up firing a rocket at a hulk that was coming at a lower height.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

Takes more shots than that, must have been shot by someone else.

Maybe it was more like 3-4 shots. But I'm pretty certain the hulk was undamaged because I now exclusively play with some friends who recently got the game and we're pretty stalled at 4-5 as they struggle to skill up. As much as I love grouping with IRL friends, I miss doing Suicide Missions with goons.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 8, 2024

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

*Robots are 2 calldowns, 10 minute cooldown.
*They can hurt enemies by stepping on them.
*14 Missiles and 1000 rounds of minigun ammo
*Minigun is medium armor pen
*Missiles can crack Charger legs and close bug holes.

Edit: Oh, yeah robots are out. 20k requisition, free stratagem right now.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Baggot posted:

OH poo poo you can buy the Patriot Exosuit now, at the very bottom of the Stratagems list. 20000 Requisitions. GOGOGO

drat it, I just dumped my req into the 500kg

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Baggot posted:

Exo-45 Patriot Exosuit, 2 uses, 600 second cooldown time.

So around 2 minutes longer than a support weapon call in, seems reasonable. I'll be curious to see how they move out in the field, if they are super slow and lumbering then they'll be more of walking turrets than something you can ride in a lot.

Actually, thinking about it, it's probably also a gigantic "Helldivers here" sign to every bug in a 50 mile radius so there's some balance there too.

I just bought some poo poo I didn't need yesterday, time to farm credits. Or "accidentally" steal someone's mech. Sorry man it looked like mine anyways I'm new and I don't know how to get out again so I'll just stay in here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

maybe i shouldn't have spent 20,000 reqs unlocking everything left yesterday

Same lol I’m owned

At least I got a ballistic shield in the stratagem list I’ll never use

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Durzel posted:

Also happened to me last night. Watched two teammates cross with no issues but I got stuck in some sort of purgatory. Teammate killed me. A short while later we crossed a different spot and this time a teammate got stuck and had to get killed.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fortunately, it looks like everyone gets to test drive the mech.

Unfortunately, they have hosed up something else, because I can't join any games at all now.

Fortunately, I was inexplicably awarded another bunch of medals on top of the ones for the previous Major Order.

Unfortunately, I can't spend them, because everything is hosed and throwing out errors.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

drat i did not even get a chance to play

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Ugh, the 20:2 shot bile titan PS5 talk makes me want to do science and bodyshot one to death with the railgun. We'll probably have even more wild bugs related to the mechs by the time I get home though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Exosuit is cool af. Also slow af