Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rooster Teeth is apparently shutting down. Do we know if our beloved dipshits are effected in some way? I’d presume the properties would be spun off/absorbed into WB in some capacity. It’s wild to to think that they were technically coworkers of mine for a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://x.com/PatStaresAt/status/1765437093994758503?s=20

This is a relief but rip funhaus :911:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Zaslav just loves the funny duo of short ginger man and big dread man too much

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

This is a relief but rip funhaus :911:
Funhaus wasn't the same after the original cast gradually left the podcast and went indie/fired.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Funhaus wasn't the same after the original cast gradually left the podcast and went indie/fired.

Agreed, nothing will beat 2018-2019 but I was really enjoying Patrick & Charlotte coming into their own. Too bad Adam being a scumbag sex pervert ruined everthing

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given everything, and with knowledge that a lot of jobs are gone from this, I'm not sad to see RT go.

The last volumes of RWBY had gone from "production poo poo-show that was fun to point at" to downright offensive.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given everything, and with knowledge that a lot of jobs are gone from this, I'm not sad to see RT go.

The last volumes of RWBY had gone from "production poo poo-show that was fun to point at" to downright offensive.

Please elaborate, I want to hear more about the show I've only previously experienced through that hbomberguy video about how it's really mid

E: that's not sarcasm

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The long-short of it is that the last two seasons got heavy into glorifying Suicide.

This started in Season 8 with them bringing back a character, giving them avatar powers for no good reason, and then mortally wounding them.
This then "required" them to die by their own hand to prevent avatar mechanics bullshit from benefiting the bad guys.

Then, in what I hope is the last season we will ever see of this Godsforsaken cartoon, they did it again by kak-handling the themes they were trying to write.

The creatures of the land the team were isikai'd to had a singular goal to terminate themselves as that means they get to ascend and become one with the planet or whatever stupid bullshit they wrote.

This culminates in the depiction of Ruby herself being savagely browbeaten for the events of the last few seasons to the point where she commits suicide by poisoning herself (With tea. Its A Whole Thing) but some lifestream bullshit means she comes back unharmed.

So yeah. That.
:goonsay:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 7, 2024

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
...Didn't the other RT show, Genlock, also have a "suicide for the greater good OOPS I'M BACK" subplot? What the gently caress.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The ascension thing for the characters from that world is basically rewriting their role within the world, because it's a land of fiction (Alice in Wonderland is the whole thing of Volume 9).

It still super sucks and is handled atrociously especially off the back of the stuff in the Volume before. Although the whole "push" is that Ruby was wrong to do it and that she was fine how she was and didn't need to die and be reborn/remade/ascended to be a hero (she already was one).

I'd argue the volume 8 stuff is way worse, but the volume 9 stuff as a follow up looks super terrible compared to if it wasn't following the volume 8 stuff.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 7, 2024

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Grouchio posted:

beep by grandpa posted:

Agreed, nothing will beat 2018-2019 but I was really enjoying Patrick & Charlotte coming into their own. Too bad Adam being a scumbag sex pervert ruined everthing

Yeah. I got into FH like 3-4 months before the pandemic started and obsessively binged basically of their content. It's tough to go back to their older videos now that we know what a creep Adam was, considering he's in most of them.

I still enjoy the Patrick/Lindsay/Charlotte dynamic but the vibes are definitely different. and I can't really get into Bruce or Lawrence's twitch streams the same way i could endlessly watch their edited content

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
By admission I had checked out by the time they had offed who they did in 8 (Because if nothing else there was so much they could have done with that character and the state they were in) and only heard the suicide thing with Season 9 (and it is what that is) post-hoc and there's been a lot of better writing (Some that even dealing with the topics as if they weren't complete dipshits) since then.

As for which one is worse? Eh, I feel it's a bit Hobsin's Choice; One is a character getting offed in a crass manner (and also to give resident Author Insert more trauma :rolleyes:) which sucks on toast and the other is depicting, to the extent a badly written cartoon that is Harry Potter but with Gunblades could, a realistic portrayal of a woman spiralling into destroying herself, her doing it, only to come out the other end of it unscathed which is... not great, I feel?!

In any case, hopefully The Frog gets offended by the what will enviably be Lowball offers for the show, Coyote vs AMCE it thus damning it to a lifetime of horror on Monster Island.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 7, 2024

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ConanThe3rd posted:

By admission I had checked out by the time they had offed who they did in 8 (Because if nothing else there was so much they could have done with that character and the state they were in) and only heard the suicide thing with Season 9 (and it is what that is) post-hoc and there's been a lot of better writing (Some that even dealing with the topics as if they weren't complete dipshits) since then.

As for which one is worse? Eh, I feel it's a bit Hobsin's Choice; One is a character getting offed in a crass manner (and also to give resident Author Insert more trauma :rolleyes:) which sucks on toast and the other is depicting, to the extent a badly written cartoon that is Harry Potter but with Gunblades could, a realistic portrayal of a woman spiralling into destroying herself, her doing it, only to come out the other end of it unscathed which is... not great, I feel?!

In any case, hopefully The Frog gets offended by the what will enviably be Lowball offers for the show, Coyote vs AMCE it thus damning it to a lifetime of horror on Monster Island.

Volume 9 is trying to do something vaguely narratively interesting, and if not for Volume 8's mess would just look like a badly written attempt at that sort of narrative.

The Volume 8 stuff feels actively spiteful because of who it involves and how it gets dragged out and handled.

They literally brought Penny back, infected her with a virus that controls her to do evil, she cures that by getting her robot body replaced with a "real girl" body because that totally was what she needed all along (even though in the past Ruby has affirmed that she's already a real girl) and then after that she has to be assist killed (by the not actually an author insert author insert) to stop the villain stealing her maiden powers via bullshit magic. It feels super spiteful even if it wasn't meant to be.

Frankly I'd like RWBY to be picked up so that it can get a not terrible writer team on an actually pretty interesting world that has been under-written chronically the entire time.

claw game handjob posted:

...Didn't the other RT show, Genlock, also have a "suicide for the greater good OOPS I'M BACK" subplot? What the gently caress.

Gen: Lock was also stealing money from RWBY to get the Season 1 it did, so Season 2 having that plot might be spite on behalf of the company (since they ousted the guy who was doing the money-stealing).

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I know it's Woolie so I should've expected this, but he might be the slowest Balatro player I've seen by a lot. Took him 2 hours to get to the boss of ante 5. Honestly it's a bit impressive.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man, that pat story really puts the past decade he spent publicly making GBS threads on his stepbrother into context if he was regularly getting treated like that.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

DrManiac posted:

Man, that pat story really puts the past decade he spent publicly making GBS threads on his stepbrother into context if he was regularly getting treated like that.

sure, but you also have stories like this from Pat

quote:

I mean when he was 4 or 5 he tried to beat his sister up with a hammer and then slightly later slammed a fridge door on her neck. He would bite people until their limbs went black from bruises. He'd destroy non shared toys like my sisters dolls. He told me I could fly when I was 3 and convinced me to jump off my play table with my arms back which caused me to lose my first set of front teeth.

He was a violent and cruel child before I got there.

so who knows really

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's a bit of a Dio situation where Pat did push him over the edge in a way like Joseph did, but the kid had bad vibes from the start anyway.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Light FF7 Rebirth spoilers regarding Queen's Blood and has no bearing on the story

Pat struggled with the Queen's Blood puzzles and didn't understand how the points are totaled or what the cards do. This man went through the entire tournament and won without knowing how to actually play lmao

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 9, 2024

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

theCalamity posted:

Pat struggled with the Queen's Blood puzzles and didn't understand how the points are totaled or what the cards do. This man went through the entire tournament and won without knowing how to actually play lmao

It's kind of amazing how much Pat loves to Unga Max when he's so neurotic and mind-goblined.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

"Seeing it in graph form just hits so much harder" - Pat

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1765868793228837258

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

theCalamity posted:

Light FF7 Rebirth spoilers regarding Queen's Blood and has no bearing on the story

huh? how is that, I watched his earlier streams and he definitely knew how the points worked, tho he never had a good strategy iirc and just replayed til he won

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Indecisive posted:

huh? how is that, I watched his earlier streams and he definitely knew how the points worked, tho he never had a good strategy iirc and just replayed til he won

He knew how points worked in the sense of "Higher points in one row wins row" but never grasped that the second part was "The points from that row are then added to your score" and thought that just winning more lanes in general == winning the match (ie: He could win two lanes with 4 points each and lose one lane with the enemy getting 10 points and not understand why he lost the match)

He also briefly thought that the winner of a lane scored the difference between the two strengths (ie winning 10 points to 8 points in a lane means the winner scored 2 points???) and thus when he somehow got the win lane = win points part set in his head, his mental math to figuring out if he'd win a match was hilariously hosed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm only starting watching his ff7r2 vods but is queens blood ever a requisite, it looks incomprehensible and I don't want to bother with it whenever there's a PC version

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm only starting watching his ff7r2 vods but is queens blood ever a requisite, it looks incomprehensible and I don't want to bother with it whenever there's a PC version

Queen's Blood is amazing and fun. It's not requisite as far as I know

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Woolie scarring Eyepatchwolf's soul with Omikron got me to read Vinland Saga for the first time.

I pronounce that it was all worth it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What was the deal with the end of the podcast this week? It just sort of cut mid sentence.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

It's pretty easy to understand, and fun.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sephyr posted:

Woolie scarring Eyepatchwolf's soul with Omikron got me to read Vinland Saga for the first time.

I pronounce that it was all worth it.

Honestly both of the end of ep picks on VW3 were good'uns. Kill 6 Billion Demons is a beautiful, excellent strip

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

theCalamity posted:

Squeenix adding QB to FFXIV would be enough to get me to give XIV another chance, I like it so much

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

QB is insanely easy to understand.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

theCalamity posted:

Take it from someone like me who normally really hates card games: Queen's blood is really, really good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in queen's blood you and your opponent place cards on a 3x5 grid. each card has a placement pattern and a number value. the former unlocks adjacent squares to place more cards or reinforces squares that have already been unlocked so that you can set stronger cards there, and the latter adds to your point total for that row. at the end of the game, whoever has the higher point total for each of the three rows wins that row, and their final score is the sum value of all the rows they've won. whoever gets the higher score wins

cards have various effects to strength/weaken other cards on the board and so on, but those are the basic rules and they're probably more straightforward than any other card game in the series

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

theres a queens blood tourney that is part of the main quest, but you're allowed to drop out of it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Take it from someone like me who normally really hates card games: Queen's blood is really, really good.

I spit on card games, but Queen's Blood is addicting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://clips.twitch.tv/MiniatureBlushingWaspTheTarFu-QlHlkK18YMBUCzpv

goon MonsterEnvy was backseating Pat in his Rebirth stream despite never owning a PS5 or having played FF7R2 and got called the gently caress out lol

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Good job idiot, you've been immortalized lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Invictus posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/MiniatureBlushingWaspTheTarFu-QlHlkK18YMBUCzpv

goon MonsterEnvy was backseating Pat in his Rebirth stream despite never owning a PS5 or having played FF7R2 and got called the gently caress out lol

Beautiful

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

That's up there with "Mr. Bibbs you are terribly incorrect".