Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since Ill never finish Dragon Quest 6 Ill always remember him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I guess I can give DQ11 another go sometime this year.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Hmm, I've always meant to try getting into Dragon Quest more: so far I've only played VIII back in the day. Nowadays with me being mostly PC, I'm guess I'm limited to XI (which I think is the definitive pick, so no worries there) or Builders (maybe more up my alley as an ARPG lover?)

Wonder what this means for SAND LAND.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Builders 2 is the best Dragon Quest game, its not even close

they want shady
May 11, 2013

FutureCop posted:

Hmm, I've always meant to try getting into Dragon Quest more: so far I've only played VIII back in the day. Nowadays with me being mostly PC, I'm guess I'm limited to XI (which I think is the definitive pick, so no worries there) or Builders (maybe more up my alley as an ARPG lover?)

Do try more Dragon Quest. VIII on the PS2 was also my first mainline Dragon Quest and XI is extremely good. Builders 2 also if you like that sort of game, playing that and Valheim with friends back-to-back made me accept I actually love crafting games.

That said, my favorite Dragon Quest series will always be Monsters. The first Dragon Warrior Monster for GBC captured me in a way that no other game at the time, not even Pokemon, ever did. And Toriyama's godly monster design definitely helped (Sugimori's just as good but they both were the best for the vibes they were working). Gonna play Dark Prince for sure this year.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Barudak posted:

I'm firmly in this camp as well, and let's be real: there are so many worse places to start than that no matter how you feel about it just being "a spinoff".

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/ExalinExcels/status/1765953073783144927

Dude is a legend and 68 is too young.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

FutureCop posted:

Wonder what this means for SAND LAND.

Also, thinking on this a bit, all it means for that game is that it's now gonna be bookended and trailered by "in loving memory of Akira Toriyama" and probably gonna sell 3 times as many copies if they get it out the door fast enough. Think it was coming out this year regardless so hopefully it doesn't gently caress with them too much, but I'd bet there's probably gonna be some real pressure on the studio to get that game out as soon as possible after this.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

they want shady posted:

Also, thinking on this a bit, all it means for that game is that it's now gonna be bookended and trailered by "in loving memory of Akira Toriyama" and probably gonna sell 3 times as many copies if they get it out the door fast enough. Think it was coming out this year regardless so hopefully it doesn't gently caress with them too much, but I'd bet there's probably gonna be some real pressure on the studio to get that game out as soon as possible after this.

I mean, latest gameplay overview trailer has a release date, 26th of April.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, latest gameplay overview trailer has a release date, 26th of April.

poo poo, really? Didn't see that trailer but glad they're almost done with it, for their sakes. God gave them some bitter lemons, then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

back we go...

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

Still hoping for Soukaigi to get an english patch and be able to play it just to be able to listen to this absolute banger in context

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there have been some decent dragon ball RPGs too, like attack of the saiyans or the latter two legacy of goku games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://x.com/forestminish/status/1765969302174241156?s=46&t=FevCpxsjIWdlja6JbbXT5g

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Barudak posted:

Builders 1 legit is my favorite dragon quest plot in the entire series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The 7th Guest posted:

back we go...

I liked Tokyo Xanadu, so I'm pretty excited for this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you cant call it tokyo xanadu if it takes place in kyoto

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

None of them take place in Xanadu either

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Xanadu is a state of mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Toriyama's influence was so great you could pick an RPG at random and it was likely in some way inspired, directly or indirectly, by his works

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Colonel posted:

What is Tokyo if not just an eastern Kyoto.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Toriyama's influence was so great you could pick an RPG at random and it was likely in some way inspired, directly or indirectly, by his works

If nothing else his Slime design is basically the baseline for JRPG slime designs. And you can go "Oh well, that's easy enough, it's a slime" but the coloring/general aesthetic/tone is still there even if things change. You wouldn't have Punis or Puyos or Flans or Ditto without him. (I mean I'm sure someone would have figured out small ball w/ eyes eventually) but it's such a huge impact on what we view as slimes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

None of them take place in Xanadu either

they directly refer to the labyrinth as xanadu multiple times! its full name is the labyrinth of xanadu! this is the case for all xanadu games!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

If nothing else his Slime design is basically the baseline for JRPG slime designs. And you can go "Oh well, that's easy enough, it's a slime" but the coloring/general aesthetic/tone is still there even if things change. You wouldn't have Punis or Puyos or Flans or Ditto without him. (I mean I'm sure someone would have figured out small ball w/ eyes eventually) but it's such a huge impact on what we view as slimes.

Posting this here too I suppose
https://twitter.com/hamishsteele/status/1623436759215534080

But also I do like got a slime that's more inline with Yuji's sketch, but still has that charm that makes Toriyama's design iconic.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

as a kid, i thought slimes were cute and would love to hug one.

then i found out that in other fantasy settings, slimes try to suffocate/melt and eat you.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

GateOfD posted:

then i found out that in other fantasy settings, slimes try to suffocate/melt and eat you.

the classic grizzly bear conundrum

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

I mean if you gotta go out...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

back we go...

I liked the first even though it's meshing of ys action combat with parts of the Trails system didn't fully click so I'm hoping this can build on the first. Plus it's nice to see Falcom break out of the Trails/Ys mold a bit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if you gotta go out...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

they directly refer to the labyrinth as xanadu multiple times! its full name is the labyrinth of xanadu! this is the case for all xanadu games!

Are you a Xanadu or a Xanadon't

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Apparently this was ported to the NES (based on the colors I assume this screenshot was from the Amiga version?), so I'll have to check it out. Seems interesting.

E: NES not SNES, drat phone autocorrect.

Annath fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 8, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think Shadowgate is on Gameboy Color in a pretty good port too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Shadowgate also has a remake.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dragon Quest slimes don't dissolve or eat you, they inflict blunt force trauma.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Annath posted:

Apparently this was ported to the NES (based on the colors I assume this screenshot was from the Amiga version?), so I'll have to check it out. Seems interesting.

E: NES not SNES, drat phone autocorrect.

That colour palette is almost certainly the Apple II version

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

That colour palette is almost certainly the Apple II version

The wiki said the Apple version was in Black and White, and the color version didn't come til the Amiga/Atari versions.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

looks like DOS in CGA mode to me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hell if I know which it is, I just got the first hit on GIS lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

looks like DOS in CGA mode to me

I will second this with 100% certainty. The font doesn't look like what you'd get on most Apple games either but matches DOS to a T.