Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

Waffle House posted:

Social media is full of bad faith child groomers OP, and we should have nuked 4chan from orbit a long time ago

Agreed on both accounts, yeah.

Edit:

LMFAO, she's so bad at this.

...and I finally figured out what the kitchen reminds me of, it looks like a liminal space you'd see in some backrooms-inspired ARG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Counted posted:

There's this constant cycle where social media companies like YouTube, TikTok, etc., etc. go a bit too far in escalating viewer suggestions like this, get called out, and then for a while there seems to be less guardrails(or nothing was done beyond lipservice) and then it happens again.

YouTube 100 percent has some culpability in boosting Qanon outside of the chan websites before they started moving against Q content, and some of those Qanon channels certainly have a death grip on my dad's aging brain to this day.

It also gives a very perverse incentive for grifters to jump on the latest hate-topic: The ones who get in first get the most views, which :airquote: legitimizes :airquote: them, which means Youtube/TikTok/Facebook will let them stick around when they rest are inevitably purged

How many pollsters even knew what Biden's policies were, other than gas prices going up and food costing more

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lord Harbor posted:

While this certainly isn't bad or anything, the problem isn't that the tax rate for billionaires is too low, it's that there are tons of special exemptions and schemes that let them exclude most of their income from being taxed at all. Unless there's a plan that deals with this and reclassifies what counts as "income", it isn't really going to help.

Easy fix then: make it a 25% wealth tax.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lord Harbor posted:

While this certainly isn't bad or anything, the problem isn't that the tax rate for billionaires is too low, it's that there are tons of special exemptions and schemes that let them exclude most of their income from being taxed at all. Unless there's a plan that deals with this and reclassifies what counts as "income", it isn't really going to help.

Username-post combo lol

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Hazo posted:

I missed it but I’m planning on watching Jon Stewart’s recap on Monday.

After reading the responses itt I’m confused about the MTG pin thing. He took a pin from her and held it up during one of her heckling sessions? Meaning she gave it to him as some kind of weird smarmy shaming tactic? Or did he like, lift it from her like a pickpocket?

I’m choosing to believe the latter

he pulled it from behind her ear and she shat herself in fear and confusion

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lmao at Tuberville calling a sitting US Senator a "housewife"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ah yes, the guy who is mad that he can't drive his Corvette anymore as POTUS is the guy who's never pumped gas in his life...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
kinda feels like biden shanked the gop last night and today its just fallout of corpses laying all over the yard

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

also thread needs a title update

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I love it when GOP will be all “Biden doesn’t pump gas!” Yeah, NO poo poo, ever see Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Obama? They wouldn’t let him drive a car outside of the driveway at the White House, let alone sit in a passenger seat of a different car.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kazil posted:

Lol being so lovely you have a house rule named after you would be Santos' greatest political achievement

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PhazonLink posted:

i feel like the meta of todays "edgelord" contrarian is way different from ancient 00s era.

yeah, i was never a nazi or incel. more just lonely and wanted to be a cool badass troll and gently caress with furries and poo poo. Lol. i was loving dumbass.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Philthy posted:

kinda feels like biden shanked the gop last night and today its just fallout of corpses laying all over the yard

Biden loving killed it, I think we can say. He's also improving on the Gaza issue. I honestly think he might be the best president in my lifetime, pretty easily.

It would be truly amazing if we got a true landslide presidential election victory. I don't think it's out of the question with the way its going. Republicans aren't trying to win elections anymore, they're just spouting full crazy and counting on fascism.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Counted posted:

...and I finally figured out what the kitchen reminds me of, it looks like a liminal space you'd see in some backrooms-inspired ARG.

*Goons seeing a clean suburban kitchen that isn't full of pissjugs*:

Is this Skinamarink?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kazil posted:

Post ITT every time you lol that Getting Expelled Official Revokes Guaranteed Entry

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean obviously he did a good job but loving 17% of people changed their mind about policy that easily? Was there some big policy shift I missed?

Or is it just the age old, 20% of Americans hate Obamacare but love every individual component of the ACA kind of thing?

Low info voters are easily shifted by things like optics and 'tummy feels' when it comes to politics.

They spend most of the politician's term trying as hard as possible to ignore politics and don't start paying much attention until 3-6 months from election day. The presidency is a little different because of tradition and because of the importance of the post so things like the SOTU address really can move the needle some, even though election day is still fairly far away, if its well done.

Which in this case it was. Not just because of his delivery but how he handled the R's and hecklers in the crowd. He came off as old but still all there IMO.

I think most will still back burner political info until closer to elections but they're going to keep this SOTU speech in their minds. Which doesn't sound impressive but it really is. Hell just look at how the Hur report, which was quite damning and made a lot of D's here and elsewhere start doomering, has been almost totally forgotten about even before the SOTU speech! I'm pretty sure that virtually no one who is honest about their position on Biden will even care about it if you brought it up now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GEORGE zooms back into the house on a segway, a string of congressmen's wallets swinging from his neck

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

This is what he was speaking about. They will be taxed 25% no matter how many exemptions and loopholes they might find. The only way to save money is to find a way to make their gains/wealth look smaller than it is, which is what Trump just got fined for, and basically black listed from every financial institution in the world.

How's that going to work in practice though? If, say, a CEO gets millions of shares of stock, then uses that stock to take out loans which they use to cover all of their expenses, are they going to be taxed anywhere? Currently they wouldn't really. Stock isn't taxed until it's sold, loans aren't taxed as you aren't actually increasing your net worth. Will Biden's plan actually change any of this?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

other ideas to fix the internet/socialmedia. minor upload fees for videos and posts.

its too easy to poo poo post and there's too little friction for "content creation"

eat more fiber.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Froghammer posted:

Tiktok's algorithm has been completely gamed by the manosphere in the same way Youtube's algorithm was gamed by the alt-right circa 2015ish. I'd love for the conversation around it to be "this app is radicalizing children to hate women" rather than "Tiktok is harvesting data the same way Facebook is, only because it's based in Singapore that's bad and it needs to go".
tiktok rewards lazy content and it just so happens bigoted and stupid humor are the easiest.

i was acquainted with an 8 and 9 year old and their content started with a baby who swore. it was just a baby that sat on some guy's lap and would shout "BITHCH!!" and the guy would react as WILD as possible. "BITHCH!!" "OOOOH MY GOAAWWDD!!" and that was it. that was the entire act. and he has dozens of these videos. "gently caress!" shouts the baby, "OH MY GAAAWDD!" screams the man. the end. dozens of videos just like that.
and so so many that were just "are you GAAAAAAYYY???!!" just the dumbest and laziest bigot poo poo because that kind of "OHMYGAAAAWD!!!" type humor is easy. but it lead to the children legitimately saying homophobic stuff. they were too scared to swear too much, but they would readily label things "GAAAAYYY!!"
and it's no different than the other content they watched on any other platform. it's a slide greased by laziness and it's legitimately hard to describe if you haven't witnessed it. just the slide from "casual bigotry" as a punchline to "casual bigotry" being the entire point

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ringo Star Get posted:

I love it when GOP will be all “Biden doesn’t pump gas!” Yeah, NO poo poo, ever see Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Obama? They wouldn’t let him drive a car outside of the driveway at the White House, let alone sit in a passenger seat of a different car.

I watched the Biden segment of Jay Leno's Garage just a few minutes ago because of this and you can practically hear the Secret Service detail making GBS threads razor blades as he hauls rear end away, and this was back when he was Veep, let alone POTUS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP-hyDSlmUs&t=145s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ya think Trump has ever pumped gas?

Projection, always.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Aramis posted:

Easy fix then: make it a 25% wealth tax.

I'm of the opinion that Democrats should seize on the flat tax idea. Just tax all income, everywhere, at 20% or something. No more exceptions for capital gains, or worrying that 'grandma sold her (multimillion dollar) house and now has to pay taxes on it!'. Just a flat tax on everything, coupled with a massive refund or mincome. A wealth tax would be even better but be even less likely to pass.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lord Harbor posted:

How's that going to work in practice though? If, say, a CEO gets millions of shares of stock, then uses that stock to take out loans which they use to cover all of their expenses, are they going to be taxed anywhere? Currently they wouldn't really. Stock isn't taxed until it's sold, loans aren't taxed as you aren't actually increasing your net worth. Will Biden's plan actually change any of this?

The sale of stock (or distributions) to generate cash needed to make payments on loans is how they're currently taxed. The problem is that they hoard net worth while paying taxes only on the wealth they, essentially, actually use. Meaning we all pay income tax and they essentially pay use tax.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

kazil posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

Ya think Trump has ever pumped gas?

Projection, always.

There's a picture of him in his dumpy fat Florida attire pumping gas into a sports car in the 90s, but that was like 30 years ago now. So no.

E:

E2: Oh he's at a Full Service pump, so someone else is pumping it for him lol

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 8, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

The GOP haven't had anyone willing to confront their bullshit since Bill Clinton. Obama was milquetoast, HRC wanted to debate-nerd everything, Gore and Kerry are robots.

OTOH, the GOP doesn't have anyone who can actually debate. Boehner is long gone, McConnell is a shuffling corpse, even the randoms in the House all got primaried by shitgibbons like MTG

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Low info voters are easily shifted by things like optics and 'tummy feels' when it comes to politics.

They spend most of the politician's term trying as hard as possible to ignore politics and don't start paying much attention until 3-6 months from election day. The presidency is a little different because of tradition and because of the importance of the post so things like the SOTU address really can move the needle some, even though election day is still fairly far away, if its well done.

Which in this case it was. Not just because of his delivery but how he handled the R's and hecklers in the crowd. He came off as old but still all there IMO.

I think most will still back burner political info until closer to elections but they're going to keep this SOTU speech in their minds. Which doesn't sound impressive but it really is. Hell just look at how the Hur report, which was quite damning and made a lot of D's here and elsewhere start doomering, has been almost totally forgotten about even before the SOTU speech! I'm pretty sure that virtually no one who is honest about their position on Biden will even care about it if you brought it up now.

Even if the SOTU is forgotten in a month too it gives them a good starting point on which messages and achievements connected that they can use to know what to promote during the fall.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vampire Panties posted:

The GOP haven't had anyone willing to confront their bullshit since Bill Clinton. Obama was milquetoast, HRC wanted to debate-nerd everything, Gore and Kerry are robots.

OTOH, the GOP doesn't have anyone who can actually debate. Boehner is long gone, McConnell is a shuffling corpse, even the randoms in the House all got primaried by shitgibbons like MTG

yeah, the Lee atwater types are mostly dead and the ones who come close basicaly just want to scream slurs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cruz can, unfortunately, debate really well (as a skill/technical matter) and is reasonably intelligent. Unfortunately he doesn't give a gently caress about anyone liking him (because nobody in the entire world likes him), has no scruples, and is entirely unloved by his family. You'd hope that would gently caress with a guy, but he exhudes a fine layer of slime so nothing ever actually affects him through this layer of slime. Slime has a place in the GOP but it never elevates them to the top so he'll just meld into the middle layers of the GOP like one among a fistful of worms in a can until he dies/retires hopefully sooner rather than later.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Lord Harbor posted:

I think he's talking about making it an RMT, which bypasses many of those loopholes.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Looking good sir

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1766155675330326709

Oh my god this is how incompetent she is, bragging about bring in $100,000. She is going to destroy the party in a staggering amount of time.
That check is definitely from her lol

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

kazil posted:

Burns
May 10, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Post ITT every time you lol that Getting Expelled Official Revokes Guaranteed Entry

The summer of GEORGE!

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

jokes posted:

The sale of stock (or distributions) to generate cash needed to make payments on loans is how they're currently taxed. The problem is that they hoard net worth while paying taxes only on the wealth they, essentially, actually use. Meaning we all pay income tax and they essentially pay use tax.

Change the tax rate on stock sales to whatever it would be as if your income was equal to your wealth. Have 10 billion in stock value? Your tax rate on selling stock is 75%, or whatever.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Jeremor posted:

Biden loving killed it, I think we can say. He's also improving on the Gaza issue. I honestly think he might be the best president in my lifetime, pretty easily.

It would be truly amazing if we got a true landslide presidential election victory. I don't think it's out of the question with the way its going. Republicans aren't trying to win elections anymore, they're just spouting full crazy and counting on fascism.

Is he the first to do anything whatsoever about Gaza?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

kazil posted:

That's actually a pretty solid, unforced acronym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Oscar Wild posted:

She's right trump wanted to unify the country the same way Pol Pot tried to unify Cambodia

This is the best thing Oscar Wilde has ever said