Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/kaijunewsoutlet/status/1764849134400364594?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:hellyeah:

That is an incredibly fast turnaround for Japan

edit: The 4K UHD set will include a Bu-Ray of the Minus Color version (and a blu-ray of G-1) as well as a disk of bonus materials. It also comes with a acrylic stand, some flyers, and stickers of some of the well-known lines from the movie. From what I can see on the Amazon Japan site it will be $135 shipped to California. There's also an Amazon Japan exclusive steelbook version for another ~$20.

I figure this will most likely be the only way to get the -Color version and I honestly doubt America will get a 4K version as well. No english subs on the set but thats not surprising.

Amazon Japan Link

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 5, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That is an incredibly fast turnaround for Japan

I wonder if the fact that it scored Toho their first Academy Award nomination in nearly 40 years was a factor

I guess it's also the biggest box office hit they've had for a long time, there's a bunch of reasons they'd want to get it into stores real quick

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/cogsanity/status/1764821344787603884?t=H6WSBb2OEG8S0W2TEWYzaw&s=19

Just Biollante things.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Me at the GWAR show.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They are releasing it in the west without English subtitles?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s often taken for granted, but neither we nor the characters in a given film have an automatic psychic investment in the large dino-lizard. You have to set the groundwork for why the dude isn’t just like “huh, that’s weird” and continuing with his day.

In this case, the protagonist accidentally uncovers the circumstances around his mother’s death and learns that his father was absent for a reason - literally trying to prevent billions of deaths. It’s an examination of the standard “boo hoo, you missed my piano recital” narrative.
I understand that the human characters in kaiju movies are there for a reason, and that "Godzilla movies shouldn't have humans in them" is burgerbrained. I just didn't care about, in your words, the alcoholic White Dad. Hiroshi Randa manages to be more interesting in spite of himself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That set sounds great, except for the no subs part

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope that for the international physical release they'll change the subs so they stop calling prop engines jet fighters. That's the extent of my miniscule complaints about Minus One.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 5, 2024

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

MrMojok posted:

They are releasing it in the west without English subtitles?

I think that's all details about the Japanese-only release, and we haven't heard any details about a Western release in any form yet. Since it was such a fairly large overseas hit, my hope is that they'll hurry out a release here before the end of the year, but I wonder if that would mean (in their minds, at least) needing to partner with a larger distributor and getting a barebones release only over here.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DeafNote posted:

Clearly what Godzilla VS Mothra needed was two evil twins to summon Battra.

belvera from rebirth of mothra is the next best thing

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Asterite34 posted:

Vs SpaceGodzilla is basically a really bad Dragonball Z episode but with Godzilla in it

It's the Raditz section of the Saiyan arc except Godzilla doesn't die at the end. Godzilla's space brother kidnaps his kid, and he has to team up with his enemy to defeat him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

I understand that the human characters in kaiju movies are there for a reason, and that "Godzilla movies shouldn't have humans in them" is burgerbrained. I just didn't care about, in your words, the alcoholic White Dad. Hiroshi Randa manages to be more interesting in spite of himself.

Oh, the sequels to Godzilla are a whole other deal. That's just attributable to bad writing. Somebody clearly saw that dads were a theme in Godzilla 2014 so, for Godzilla 2, we've gotta throw a bunch of dads in there. The villain's literally evil dad, etc.

"In fact, let's make it a whole family! Godzilla and Mothra can be mommy and daddy of, uh, Rodan. And all of the other monsters." With Cranston out of the way, Godzilla is now likened to a CIA agent who gets drunk sometimes and has very strong opinions about pseudoscientific theories of wolf behaviour. And the evil dad is, like, an 'eco-terrorist'...? The actual stakes are a total afterthought.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

DeafNote posted:

Clearly what Godzilla VS Mothra needed was two evil twins to summon Battra.

This was A Thing in one of the truly dire early IDW runs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1765365282007040054?t=TBPUtN_bIen7kOkE0mVBow&s=19

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol :sickos:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"In fact, let's make it a whole family! Godzilla and Mothra can be mommy and daddy of, uh, Rodan. And all of the other monsters." With Cranston out of the way, Godzilla is now likened to a CIA agent who gets drunk sometimes and has very strong opinions about pseudoscientific theories of wolf behaviour. And the evil dad is, like, an 'eco-terrorist'...? The actual stakes are a total afterthought.
It's annoying how everyone in these narratives has to be somebody's kid. I don't know if it's because Hollywood automatically gravitates towards dumbfuck Harry Potter Chosen One narratives, or if it's because Hollywood is so nepotistic that it doesn't even occur to them to do it any other way. In the Monarch TV show, Kurt Russell flat-out tells Cate and Kentaro Randa that they have to devote their lives to being the world's foremost monster experts because it's their "family business," despite the fact that she's a schoolteacher and he's an artist and maybe other people should have a say in this?

Oh, wait! It's superhero movies! Marvel is to blame for this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Best 4 second Kaiju movie I ever saw, that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
The monster appears to be made out of vegetables. I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dang; CD Japan has the Minus One 4K UHD set for $74 + shipping.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TBR-34167D

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

It's annoying how everyone in these narratives has to be somebody's kid. I don't know if it's because Hollywood automatically gravitates towards dumbfuck Harry Potter Chosen One narratives, or if it's because Hollywood is so nepotistic that it doesn't even occur to them to do it any other way. In the Monarch TV show, Kurt Russell flat-out tells Cate and Kentaro Randa that they have to devote their lives to being the world's foremost monster experts because it's their "family business," despite the fact that she's a schoolteacher and he's an artist and maybe other people should have a say in this?

Oh, wait! It's superhero movies! Marvel is to blame for this.

I don't think any of these movies qualify as 'chosen one' narratives, and Godzilla 2014's father-son dynamic(s) are mainly lifted from Godzilla Vs. Hedorah. Godzilla 2 draws inspiration from 'Heisei' films (e.g. the divorce narrative of Godzilla Vs. Mothra 1992) which were themselves inspired by Spielberg and James Cameron films. There isn't a clear distinction between Hollywood blockbusters and tokusatsu films, aside from where they were made. So, the issue isn't the basic concept of 'multiple generations of people doing adventures', but hacky writing that fails to integrate all the various narrative/thematic threads of the story.

Let's use Godzilla 2014 as a 'Gallant' example of good writing. We can take for granted that a Godzilla movie's going to have a Godzilla in it - but, as noted earlier, we aren't just automatically invested in the image of a giant CG dino-lizard. Godzilla needs a context, so Edwards' premise is that strip-mining in the 'global south' leads to an ecological disaster where a nuclear reactor in Japan melts down and the CIA is involved in covering things up. Although literal giant monsters are involved in the plot, the actual story is about how the the US government defends capital by protecting the Universal Western Mining company (and the mining industry in general) from any regulation or repercussion. It's in this context that Godzilla can emerge as a 'good guy' who is both at odds with the US government and dedicated to protecting humanity.

So that's the premise, but it's not quite enough to say that mining is bad and here's a cartoon dinosaur to beat it up. Like, expository dialogue about numbers of people killed. So we have Papa Brody as the 'crazy' leftist environmentalist, who destroys his own personal life while directly antagonizing the CIA. His son, Ford Brody is a part of the US military who grew up watching kaiju films. In this way, the giant dinosaur plot is interwoven with the socio-economic plotline and the family drama: Papa Brody hates his son for his participation in the war in Afghanistan, while Ford Brody resents his father's obsessiveness. Both Ford and his own son then use kaiju/dinosaur toys to work through the abstract, psychologically-fraught situation (as the kid character does in Godzilla Vs. Hedorah). Everything reinforces everything else, so you can easily pick up on the nuances of Ford confronting an enormous radiation-absorbing mother-monster at the end.

For our Goofus, Godzilla 2, there is little to no narrative continuity (or even plot continuity) with the previous film - but they did attempt the same sort of thing. There's a Godzilla, a family, and broader environmental concerns. The problem, I believe, is the film's extreme-for-Hollywood political conservatism. Like, if all the "alpha male" talk and CIA heroism doesn't clue you in, the film's stance on environmental issues is... weird. Just extremely vague exposition:

"Humans have been the dominant species for thousands of years, and look what's happened. Overpopulation. Pollution. War."

Pollution? That's bad I guess. So, what causes pollution? "We are the cause. We are the infection." Could you be more specific?

"The recent spike in mass die-offs in the world's oceans could be caused by efforts to locate and track Godzilla, who hasn't been seen in over five years." ?????

That last line implies that the US military has been nuking the ocean or something (setting up the use of the 'oxygen destroyer' later). So, like... don't nuke the ocean is the message? And, with that left totally unclear, we can bring in the family drama:

"[The US military] were gonna take over Monarch and kill the Titans. I didn't have a choice."
"Bullshit. You said we were doing this for Andrew. Do you really think he would have wanted this?"

Unlike Godzilla 2014, the family's investment in monsters is because they're all CIA agents who study the literal monsters. After the very elliptically-presented death of their son in the opening scene, the mother becomes an 'eco-terrorist' attempting to 'restart civilization', (arguably some kind of anarcho-primitivist, I guess) while the father initially sides with the whale-nuking crowd (meaning, idk, fascism?). Then in the end, the two sort-of come to terms - with the mother killing herself, so that the father can 'move on' and work with the CIA to bring about some kind of 'green' capitalist utopia in the end credits for some reason.

It's not there isn't a logic there, of course, but that it's all strained and poorly-depicted. Both the family drama and the ecological storylines are conveyed, to a great degree, through exposition (as is the military-CIA conflict, for that matter). So the monster action flounders without anything to ground it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
I gotta go home, but I promise I'll read that tonight while I'm watching Godzilla vs. Hedorah and inhaling smoke.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1765922405094977683?t=_HiebABn265fjaGc12HGCQ&s=19

We sure this isn't just an attempt by SH Monstararts to get away with not painting a model?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1765922405094977683?t=_HiebABn265fjaGc12HGCQ&s=19

We sure this isn't just an attempt by SH Monstararts to get away with not painting a model?

They've never needed an excuse before.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Folks, our demands for more Minus One have been answered

https://x.com/kaijunewsoutlet/status/1765947402593124378?s=42&t=n9XOB__FsjfMKZEtrZQ1YA

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I am honestly stoked for this because the Chibi series is completely up my alley- a regular guy surrounded by idiots who drive him nuts

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just bought a Godzilla hot sauce because I am bad with money.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

i'm gonna look up the first season now

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

site posted:

i'm gonna look up the first season now

Get ready for a ride

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, watching the second Gamera movie from the 90s.

It's kind of weird how Gamera 1 had Japan delay trying to kill Gyaos because they were an endangered species, and then the response to first contact is "Well, we've got to kill them all, obviously."

Not even a quick attempt at communication. Sure, it's the right call when aliens will blow up the planet as part of their life cycle, but it's still kind of odd.

What's a neat kind of different is how the film puts a bit of emphasis on the damage as a practical concern. Godzilla films either have things so apocalyptic that nobody can be assed to worry about housing, or giant monster attacks are how people remember to change the batteries. Similarly, it's nice to get 50s style sci-fi scenes of everyone talking about the science of the monster attacks, and the internet site about Gamera is proper nostalgic.

The human plot has tension and reasons for emotional investment, the giant monster plot gets creative and forces the humans to step up, the effects are solid... I wasn't sold on Guardian of the Universe, but Legion is definitely more my speed. It's even using "Our attacks are useless!" in a smart way, just going for the full no-sell briefly to ratchet up tension after showing the military have an effect on other monsters, rather than just wasting time endlessly showing that this weapon doesn't work either.

I now understand why people were so big on these Gamera films.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Man, I haven't watched Legion since shortly after it was released. I think I'm due for a revisit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nikumatic posted:

Man, I haven't watched Legion since shortly after it was released. I think I'm due for a revisit.

I am 100% convinced they did a whole new ending in reshoots, because they're on location in the desert but then switch to this incredibly obvious tiny desert set with a green screen. I really want to know what the original ending was.

Not a great movie, but doing the movie trailer "bwom" sound diegetically as the trumpets of heaven was a neat idea

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I am 100% convinced they did a whole new ending in reshoots, because they're on location in the desert but then switch to this incredibly obvious tiny desert set with a green screen. I really want to know what the original ending was.

Not a great movie, but doing the movie trailer "bwom" sound diegetically as the trumpets of heaven was a neat idea

Gamera Vs Legion. Different movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lol sorry I saw that post and thought i was in the horror thread

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Godzila Official has screen printed versions of the movie posters up for sale- and a lenticular one!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ACADEMY AWARD WINNER GODZILLA MINUS ONE

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
He’s carrying a golden Godzilla. That’s amazing. :3:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

jiffynuts posted:

He’s carrying a golden Godzilla. That’s amazing. :3:

the godzilla has a little bowtie on

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Non Compos Mentis posted:

the godzilla has a little bowtie on

https://x.com/godzilla_toho/status/1766899710919590036?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I am so loving incredibly stoked. That was the only award I was interested in. I came to my usual spot to get something to go and as soon as I walked in they started the nominees for special effects . Lucky timing lol