Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mobby_6kl posted:

I was searching for jetpack videos for another thread and imgur had a couple of them several years apart

2019:
https://i.imgur.com/m4rZt0K.mp4

2022:
https://i.imgur.com/E4YovYM.mp4

2024:
https://i.imgur.com/AratCPB.mp4

Your posts.

a drone could take these dudes out very easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like you'd want double hearing protection for that jetpack. We already learned from 3M how military-issued earplugs do.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I guess everyone has seen rail workers weld track with thermite.

Here's a much cooler way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv3H_CCrxIA

With fewer safety flip flops (auto-translated subtitles are usable since the German subtitle track was manually uploaded):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ewz5KO22rI

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zero VGS posted:

I feel like you'd want double hearing protection for that jetpack. We already learned from 3M how military-issued earplugs do.

Sorry, they won't hear you from how awesome they look :c00lbert:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Reminds me of watching a dude play Boat Crew (a WW2 PT-Boat sim game). While blasting away with a bunch of machine guns and at full throttle, he speculated how loud PT-Boats must have been to work on, then just says "You hearing loss is not service related."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Reminds me of watching a dude play Boat Crew (a WW2 PT-Boat sim game). While blasting away with a bunch of machine guns and at full throttle, he speculated how loud PT-Boats must have been to work on, then just says "You hearing loss is not service related."

Is that a common phrase? I heard it yesterday in this video as well: timestamped (note: dude standing at a 45° angle in front of an m2)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Antigravitas posted:

Is that a common phrase? I heard it yesterday in this video as well: timestamped (note: dude standing at a 45° angle in front of an m2)

It's a common phrase to receive in writing from the DoD when they deny you benefits due to combat disabled veterans.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
translates to "you can't prove we owe you money. denied"

I gather it's gotten a bit better in recent years, but not nearly good enough.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

I'm guessing it is, mostly because of the aforementioned 3M earplug thing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ComradePyro posted:

It kinda got worse, claiming tinnitus used to be the magic words where the VA had to take your word for it (because there's no way to prove it one way or the other) but they are clamping down for 2024: https://tuckerdisability.com/blog/va-disability/understanding-the-upcoming-changes-to-va-tinnitus-ratings/

3M was offering vets such an embarrassingly low settlement that they had to put in a clause to sue anyone who specifies the amount. Good thing everyone already did on Reddit before that clause was made.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I guess it's fine if it's just sewage or something

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

I guess it's fine if it's just sewage or something

What's the problem, they have that bolted together as thoroughly as the Titan submersible.

edit: Speaking of, brand new Stockton Rush quote just dropped for an upcoming documentary:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/oceangate-ceo-joked-what-could-go-wrong-before-titan-sub-implosion-new-documentary-reveals/ar-BB1jrUG1

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 8, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Ut3w1G5.mp4

Who put this dead woman on a skateboard?

Her feet are so pale compared to her legs. Disgusting.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ComradePyro posted:

My wife worked in a VA hospital as part of her residency, and her favorite thing was to figure out how anything could be service related and give the patient the best treatment she could.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

My wife worked in a VA hospital as part of her residency, and her favorite thing was to figure out how anything could be service related and give the patient the best treatment she could.

I walked past a recruitment ad billboard for a few months that listed out the benefits of a 100% disabled veteran as perks

*for qualified individuals only.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

3M was offering vets such an embarrassingly low settlement that they had to put in a clause to sue anyone who specifies the amount. Good thing everyone already did on Reddit before that clause was made.

I've always wondered, with those kinds of settlements, who gets to decide on what to settle for? I've never heard of anybody getting anything more than a check that isn't worth your time to cash. Also, who gets the money if you don't cash the check? I never cashed my red bull check, hoping the $5 went to good use.

Not trying to do a gotcha, I'm genuinely curious about the process.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lawyers, and also probably lawyers.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ComradePyro posted:

I've always wondered, with those kinds of settlements, who gets to decide on what to settle for? I've never heard of anybody getting anything more than a check that isn't worth your time to cash. Also, who gets the money if you don't cash the check? I never cashed my red bull check, hoping the $5 went to good use.

Not trying to do a gotcha, I'm genuinely curious about the process.

Basically the 3M lawyers got to call the shots and perform all manner of shenanigans and narrative fabrication. They leaked the settlement amounts early and got news outlets to pick it up as a "big success for vets" and it was such a ripoff that 3M stock immediately blasted up because lawyers expected the damages would be double. Whoever has the most money in the first place wins.

Most vets got around $10k for permanently damaged hearing, but 49% was taken for lawyer fees and court fees, so they took home a little over $5k each. Adding a zero would have been fair.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Why thank you, my haunting thalassophobia was almost starting to be manageable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Why thank you, my haunting thalassophobia was almost starting to be manageable.

Move to Nebraska, 100% safe.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

No helmet? Jesus gently caress

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

speaking of hearing loss

https://www.musicradar.com/news/pinkpantheress-hearing-loss

a loving sound professional let this happen on the job?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
earplugs are for wimps

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

I worked at a VA for 4 years in a patient facing position and still have no loving clue how eligibility and disability work. The institution needs a massive overhaul. When I left we were using a scheduling software that was older than some of the patients.

My advice to anybody who is currently enlisted is to go to the doctor frequently and tell them EVERYTHING about your health. Make some poo poo up even. You might never need to rely on the VA, but it is harder for them to deny poo poo later if it is written down somewhere. Also as soon as you are discharged take your DD214 to the VA for an initial visit.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 9, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Move to Nebraska, 100% safe.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

KoRMaK posted:

speaking of hearing loss

https://www.musicradar.com/news/pinkpantheress-hearing-loss

a loving sound professional let this happen on the job?

quote:

Reflecting on the loss of high end, the star tells Louis Theroux “It’s fine - I could say ‘Oh, I still have bass’”

Lindsay Low End

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rnn2i5HeN91y090ao.mp4

from tumblr, no context

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

I get it was needed, but oof that nut tap.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Boy of boy I miss zero of this poo poo. Every time I see this kind of video i'm so glad to have a desk job on land.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

chrisgt posted:

Boy of boy I miss zero of this poo poo. Every time I see this kind of video i'm so glad to have a desk job on land.

Whats the most OSHA thing you saw while working on boats

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

chrisgt posted:

I do miss hopping on an accommodation ladder from a plot boat. Rope ladder? Less so.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

chrisgt posted:

Considering that the desk job just leads me to contemplating different aspects of my adventure on this mortal coil, I'm not certain that I agree. Having Poseidon take me is a much better ending than is generally on offer here on my land based jobs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vampire Panties posted:

Whats the most OSHA thing you saw while working on boats

I saw a drunk captain repeatedly trying and failing to run a fish through the crab pot puller pulleys trying to get them to squish the fish and then run over his own fishing gear three different times so that he no longer had enough equipment to actually fish so he drove to the docks and spotted the boat of a guy he worked with parked so he broke into it and stole all the fishing gear and we went back out fishing. Caught a lot of halibut and salmon that day if I recall correctly.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

My buddy had a few issues changing his tyre (tire).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blow posted:

My buddy had a few issues changing his tyre (tire).

looks pretty jacked up if you ask me

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Groda posted:

I'm dumb, what happened?

The Great Mall Ninja Explosion

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I was thinking the other day about images that look fine but are terribly dangerous — but I couldn't remember just what was the problem with that image with a bunch of nuclear samples just all laid out in a row? Something about how if they touched they could go critical fairly easily?

Was trying to remember WHY they thought it was a good idea to do that, too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
They lined them up standing up so if they fell over and knocked into one another they could cause a reaction.

The bumps on the side of the dowels are meant to keep them from rolling around.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

If they get too close, radiation will reflect off each other, causing them to go critical. Same thing that happened with the demon core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jet Jaguar posted:

I was thinking the other day about images that look fine but are terribly dangerous — but I couldn't remember just what was the problem with that image with a bunch of nuclear samples just all laid out in a row? Something about how if they touched they could go critical fairly easily?

Was trying to remember WHY they thought it was a good idea to do that, too.

I posted that recently

all those loving dumbasses got in so much trouble and LANL got in trouble again

here we go

MrQwerty posted:

loving dumbasses

Kazy posted:

If they get too close, radiation will reflect off each other, causing them to go critical. Same thing that happened with the demon core.

they were all drat near there and it was a super close call to a blue flash, especially with the sharpie laid down dangerously close and the two rods sitting with their roll stoppers up. Those bumps on the rods are made to stop them from rolling into and touching each other.

a picture taken to prove what skilled, good and safe operators the team were

absolutely idiotic poo poo

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 9, 2024