Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Otherwise I find the actual in game music keeps me better focused. On songs that sync to the phase it's amazing, but even having the correct song helps me zone in.

yeah hitting my cues perfectly timed to the beat of the same song over and over is probably the closest I'll ever come to feeling like a professional figure skater. it's pretty tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

HaB posted:

As of about 4 years ago: all music off, all the time, in every game for which there is an option.

Started off as a half-joke about music for boss fights (in Souls games) was telling me how to feel- and stop telling me how to feel! So I first turned it off just to see if certain boss fights hit different. They very much did. So I started turning it off for everything.

Now, music bugs me if I turn it on. I want to hear all the other game sounds. Music just takes me right out of it.

I gotta admit man, this might be the most psycho thing I've read in any FF14 thread, and I was in the spoiler thread for Stormblood discourse live.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I like to mute BGM for extreme and savage fights because I find it easier to focus that way, and I don't have mount music. Otherwise BGM all the time.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sometimes I'll turn the music off in old content areas if I'm just bumblefucking around.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

I don't have mount music on and I turn off sound if I'm doing poo poo and randomly walk into a FATE, or if I'm in a virtual meeting for work

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

BGM on, mount music off, if I'm doing something heavily grindy I might lower game sounds enough to watch a Twitch stream or something. Music's too drat good to not have running most of the time though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hogama posted:

The 9th 14-hour broadcast has been announced starting 12 April 2024 at 8:00 PM (PST)/11:00 PM(EST)/April 13 2024 3:00 AM (GMT)
No itinerary of panels during the broadcast, yet.

but as EVERY single 14-hour stream before this had a PLL, I think it's safe to assume this one will, too.

Might even be the Benchmark - if so, I'd guess the PAX panel might announce the release date for Dawntrail + pre-order, first.

what's a pll

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I keep my sound on, though sometimes it's turned down low if I have something streaming in the background.

Gotta leave mount music on because sometimes I'm just in the mood for some wild shrieks or getting lost in the ice.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

quiggy posted:

what's a pll

Producer's Live Letter. Yoship and friends spend a couple of hours talking about what's going to be in the game and holding up printouts of pictures of gear

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Ibblebibble posted:

I gotta admit man, this might be the most psycho thing I've read in any FF14 thread, and I was in the spoiler thread for Stormblood discourse live.

You're not the first person to say so.

Came as just as much of a surprise to me that I now prefer to game this way.

I did remember that I do play Persona games with the music on, but in those games, the sound track is kind of integral to the experience.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say the OST is extremely important for this game too imo.

Can't imagine like the final EW or SHB zone without music on lol.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HaB posted:

I did remember that I do play Persona games with the music on, but in those games, the sound track is kind of integral to the experience.

you say this like in other games the music just gets shipped on the disc by accident

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

HaB posted:

jesus christ. i'm gonna have to apologize to Cleretic after seeing this

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HaB posted:

Okay now take the consideration you give Persona and apply it to other games because Persona is not unique in having a finely crafted audio experience

also condolences over an obsession with git gud loving up your brain chemistry

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You do you but man I can't picture playing a lot of games without music.

Metal Gear Rising would be surreal.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Depending on the game and your mental focus I can get it. I had a lot of trouble with auditory overload in Armored Core 6, though the trick there was to turn dialogue to 0% for boss fights. Everything else was fine but too much conflicting audio turns everything to noise mush in my ear that I can barely parse.

Most games are very good about syncing music and sound effects to reinforce playing the game correctly so going full sound off seems to be missing out. I've played games silent after getting really, really settled in with them, so well past the intended first playthrough at least.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't have mount bgm music turned on but everything else is on and stays on, even if I don't have my speakers turned on because I'm just running roulettes or whatever. MSQ, sound and music on always. The only music I actively avoid is the Triple Triad music, that is a speakers off earworm.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

My horrible secret is that I never remember any of the track names in this game, just "the zone day/night theme" or whatever, so I can never follow any conversation about music

my friends will be all "whoa poo poo this song X has the leitmotif from Y and Z, what a powerful thematic link" and I'll be all "which bit? oh I guess I remember hearing that somewhere idk"

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Runa posted:

Okay now take the consideration you give Persona and apply it to other games because Persona is not unique in having a finely crafted audio experience

also condolences over an obsession with git gud loving up your brain chemistry

Not suggesting Persona is unique in this.

Not sure what your 2nd statement means/implies.

It's really not that crazy. I tried turning it off, and found I preferred most things that way.

ImpAtom posted:

You do you but man I can't picture playing a lot of games without music.

Metal Gear Rising would be surreal.

I mean. I hate to sound like someone's mom when you won't eat your veggies but - have you tried it?

Yes - a boss battle with background music is one experience. The same boss battle without background music is another.

I don't think it's that weird to consider BOTH experiences valid. :shrug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There are too many boss fights where the music is the best part, and nowhere near as many boss fights where the music is the worst part. I respect the choice to mute the music, but I think by and large it's the wrong one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Best part of Praetorium is when Nero drops the hammer at the same time as the melody. That cutscene was designed back when people could choose text pace so I don't know if it was intentional but mmm, so satisfying.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I can’t do raid prog with music on after like 10 pulls, it’s like waterboarding. Boss callouts stay on those, they are so rare and unintentionally hilarious (lookin’ at you p12s phase 2). They are also often helpful to use as markers for timing healing cds.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

My first time playing through content I'll keep the music on, and after that it just depends on how I'm feeling. For raid it heavily depends - for prog I'll usually keep it off, but reclears I'll keep it on as long as we don't take too long on a floor. Ultimates change songs often enough that after we've progged a few phases in I'll start leaving the songs on so I can time mechanics to the music.

Been progging TOP and we got to the Dynamis phase last night so you know I'm cranking that poo poo up once we get there consistently.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I play through the MSQ and things like hildi with music on, but the other 95% of the time its off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HaB posted:

I mean. I hate to sound like someone's mom when you won't eat your veggies but - have you tried it?

Yes - a boss battle with background music is one experience. The same boss battle without background music is another.

I mean they're both valid in that you can experience them both ways, but I think it's weirdly dismissive of music to claim that you can remove it and it has no impact on the experience. Aesthetics and design play a huge part in the portrayal of sequences and events in games and in good games they're designed as a cohesive whole. A great example of this in this game is the Tsukuyomi boss fight where the music and how it shifts and changes over the course of the battle is part of the story it is telling. You are not getting the same experience without the music because the music is tied into the basic concept of the fight.

You don't have to listen every single time if you're grinding a boss or whatever but there's a lot of sequences in games which live or die on their music not because they are bad otherwise but because music is considered as part of the whole when designing them.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean they're both valid in that you can experience them both ways, but I think it's weirdly dismissive of music to claim that you can remove it and it has no impact on the experience. Aesthetics and design play a huge part in the portrayal of sequences and events in games and in good games they're designed as a cohesive whole. A great example of this in this game is the Tsukuyomi boss fight where the music and how it shifts and changes over the course of the battle is part of the story it is telling. You are not getting the same experience without the music because the music is tied into the basic concept of the fight.

You don't have to listen every single time if you're grinding a boss or whatever but there's a lot of sequences in games which live or die on their music not because they are bad otherwise but because music is considered as part of the whole when designing them.

Except I said it was two different experiences, not that it has no impact on the experience.

That's literally the opposite of what I said, and even against why I said I started doing it in the first place.

I was curious if (I believe it was Gwyn's fight at the end of DS1) would hit differently without the music, which for a boss fight that's somewhat breathless, with a boss who keeps the pressure on, and rarely lets you get time to heal up- has sort of a sad/somber soundtrack- which gives it kind of a somber vibe, Without the music - the fight feels more like Gwyn's actual fighting style: fast, aggressive, and unrelenting.

I tried it, and it did. In fact I was surprised at how different it was.

And here we are.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I always turn the volume up when I'm playing something new to me but most of the time I have the bgm off. I used be like "oh the music is so good why would I turn it off" but then I started leveling my crafting jobs and the firmament/diadem music was so grating and awful and repetitive that it broke me. Then I started to get annoyed by the city and housing zone music so I turned it off there, and after a while bgm 0 became my default unless I'm doing new content or a raid where I know the music would be good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
headphones into tv, earbuds into phone, when I've heard enough xiv music the headphones come off. easy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

muting FFT's music so all I hear are my selection cursor, impact thwips, and the occasional incredibly compressed death scream

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

If im watching a video ill turn the bgm off, but music off, with ambience left on leads to some wild mood shifts in a few places. The leap of faith minigame that takes place in the shroud for example goes from silly minigame music to birds chirping and frankly i like that better while trying to platform

Runa posted:

muting FFT's music so all I hear are my selection cursor, impact thwips, and the occasional incredibly compressed death scream

Had an emulator glitch and cause exactly that once.going from the silence of my party surrounded by the corpses of enemy units to it loudly playing the victory jingle was cearintly an experience.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 8, 2024

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Watching a movie with your eyes closed is an experience as well I suppose

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

HaB posted:

Except I said it was two different experiences, not that it has no impact on the experience.

That's literally the opposite of what I said, and even against why I said I started doing it in the first place.

I was curious if (I believe it was Gwyn's fight at the end of DS1) would hit differently without the music, which for a boss fight that's somewhat breathless, with a boss who keeps the pressure on, and rarely lets you get time to heal up- has sort of a sad/somber soundtrack- which gives it kind of a somber vibe, Without the music - the fight feels more like Gwyn's actual fighting style: fast, aggressive, and unrelenting.

I tried it, and it did. In fact I was surprised at how different it was.

And here we are.
Reading this and thinking I would have come to a different conclusion if it were my experience. "I tried this with and without music, and liked it without music better" would lead me to trying more things with and without music rather than definitely thinking that doing everything without music is better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont want to hear some of the best rpg music ever composed. i only want to hear the naturalistic, immersive sound of 24 people shouting and repeatedly emitting loud sound effects

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have you considered the reason music tells you how to feel is because music is intended to convey emotion. this is why persona's music is integral to the experience, it's not a unique trait to those soundtracks, that is the purpose all video game music is meant to fulfill

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Music is always on. Mount music is situational, though it, and combat music, are ALWAYS off in Yanxia and Raktika if it's day. A Father's Pride and Civilizations are the best zone tracks in the game. Voices are off when doing dungeons with Duty Support or Trusts.

2nd monitor is for tracking stuff. Usually it's a spreadsheet of the current gear I have for each Job, gear being used for glams (so I don't accidentally get rid of it when I change a glam, then have to hunt down a new copy when I want to use it for a different glam), a list of how much of the various Currencies I have and how much more I can earn before hitting the cap, and random notes. Once per day, though, it's open to FFXIVHunt to make it easier to find my daily regular marks and weekly Elite mark.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

iPodschun posted:

[…]would lead me to trying more things with and without music rather than definitely thinking that doing everything without music is better.

Again, putting words in my mouth. I currently prefer games without music. That doesn’t imply I think it’s “better” and definitely not “everything without music is better”

Part of it is also that I am a musician/composer/songwriter, and have been my whole life. That means I am effectively unable to listen to music without dissecting/analyzing it. And again- I am not trying to do that while I’m gaming, so I turn it off because it’s distracting.

Honestly I don’t get why this prompts such a visceral reaction whenever it comes up.

I haven’t said anything other than “my specific preference is to turn the music for most games off and leave it off.”

And everyone loses their minds telling me how wrong I am, usually by replying to things I never said.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

HaB posted:

Okay no playing Revengeance with the music off is not a valid experience.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HaB posted:

Again, putting words in my mouth. I currently prefer games without music. That doesn’t imply I think it’s “better” and definitely not “everything without music is better”

Part of it is also that I am a musician/composer/songwriter, and have been my whole life. That means I am effectively unable to listen to music without dissecting/analyzing it. And again- I am not trying to do that while I’m gaming, so I turn it off because it’s distracting.

Honestly I don’t get why this prompts such a visceral reaction whenever it comes up.

I haven’t said anything other than “my specific preference is to turn the music for most games off and leave it off.”

And everyone loses their minds telling me how wrong I am, usually by replying to things I never said.

if you come out first with that you have an audio processing thing where having the music on ovewhelms you & you don't think having the music off is worse then you'll probably stop getting the responses you dislike

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think, for me, I just find the FFXIV soundtrack kinda understimulating by itself. This has nothing to do with the quality of the music and more to do with my AuDHD. When I’m doing engrossing story or dungeons for the first time, I love the music there. If I’m doing mindless gathering or repeatedly grinding dungeons I’m familiar with, the music tends to be a bit understimulating - hence why I just turn it off and put on some music with lyrics or a show or stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

flatluigi posted:

if you come out first with that you have an audio processing thing where having the music on ovewhelms you & you don't think having the music off is worse then you'll probably stop getting the responses you dislike

It's not a processing thing, nor does it overwhelm me. I just don't want to sit there thinking "ooh! I wonder what that last chord change was?" or "oooh a drop to 7/4 - nice!" while I am trying to game, because it's distracting.

And I don't dislike the responses, I just don't understand why a random not wanting to have music on for games makes people have such a strong reaction.