Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I dig Rivians. The R1s, the R2 looks cool, and my wife digs the R3 as well. There's no set dimensions on the R3 yet, but apparently the wheelbase is 5" shorter than the R2. If the length follows the wheelbase, that would put it at about 180" long, which is CX-5 sized. The pictures they've released of it make it super hard to get a sense of scale.

Edit: Only picture I've seen that includes a person:

And I think the wheels are 20" so you can probably extrapolate some length with a decent profile shot.

Seems positively reasonably sized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

gently caress that light bar blasting my rear view mirror with high beams while tailgating me though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Midjack posted:

gently caress that light bar blasting my rear view mirror with high beams while tailgating me though.

Better than the high beams on larger SUVs and trucks. Hell, maybe even the low beams on many.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Also it's just a running light. It's not that bright.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

darnon posted:

Also it's just a running light. It's not that bright.

I've had a R1T in my rearview. It's not that bad, just new since it's not something I'm used to seeing rather than just 2 lights.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

An unintended side effect of running a fart can is less tailgaters.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

Haven't seen that shot. I like it!

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Wanna lower the poo poo out of an R3

EDIT: Oh yeah, I saw a Cybertruck today. It's somehow even stupider in real life than in pictures.

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 8, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If they can price an R3 where it works out to $30k out of pocket after all the tax and rebate shenanigans, I’d seriously consider it. Hell, my garage already has 240 run to it.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

That R3 is wonderful but suffers from severe touchscreen-itis like all the other techbro sleds.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if it’s running the same sled tech that the r1s are and we can chop the body off and put something cool like a delta integrale body on top

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

New Top Gear set looks a bit sad

WTFBEES posted:

Wanna lower the poo poo out of an R3

:haibrow:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sab669 posted:

https://www.motor1.com/news/711575/rivian-r3-reveal/amp/

Looks fine for any CUV I guess :shrug: Lots of motor options, supposedly starting ~$45K Oh the R2 is $45K, no idea what this will cost then. Article is worded weirdly.

Strikes me as early for them to start moving down market; will they be able to produce enough of these to make it worth while financially?

They're cowards for painting the lower half of the car black imo. And the rear lights should be more like the other Rivians instead of this chonky loving mess of red though I suppose this is the 'budget' Rivian.

I feel like announcing this is purely to get them some cash and perhaps put people off going elsewhere for a couple of years though.

And it should be a 2 door :colbert:

KakerMix posted:

Not the worst but still too big. I bet this is another case of Ioniq 5 marketing only using models that are 6 foot tall :v:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 8, 2024

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wish all these EV people would stop putting stupid glass roofs on the cars. I hated it on my mini cooper since I couldn't cover it and block out the sunlight. I guess it works in the PNW and Northeast where all the people who can afford this poo poo live, but where the sun shines, it's like sitting in a fish bowl and I hate it.

goon.txt

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Man, I don't even like sunroofs, even if they have a proper shade.

A nicely spec'd car with a solid roof seems to be a tough thing to do now for any of the cars we've even been mildly interested in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They're cowards for painting the lower half of the car black imo. And the rear lights should be more like the other Rivians instead of this chonky loving mess of red though I suppose this is the 'budget' Rivian.

I feel like announcing this is purely to get them some cash and perhaps put people off going elsewhere for a couple of years though.

And it should be a 2 door :colbert:

Not the worst but still too big. I bet this is another case of Ioniq 5 marketing only using models that are 6 foot tall :v:

With a proper amount of doors and more reasonably sized wheels:

Not so sure about body color lower tbh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I dig Rivians. The R1s, the R2 looks cool, and my wife digs the R3 as well. There's no set dimensions on the R3 yet, but apparently the wheelbase is 5" shorter than the R2. If the length follows the wheelbase, that would put it at about 180" long, which is CX-5 sized. The pictures they've released of it make it super hard to get a sense of scale.

Edit: Only picture I've seen that includes a person:

And I think the wheels are 20" so you can probably extrapolate some length with a decent profile shot.

The rear seats are really far back, if you look at the interior shot the headrest is somewhat screened by the solid C pillar. There's only a vestigial cargo space under that hatch. Pretty annoying, although you do get a frunk I guess.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The rear seats are really far back, if you look at the interior shot the headrest is somewhat screened by the solid C pillar. There's only a vestigial cargo space under that hatch. Pretty annoying, although you do get a frunk I guess.

Then just get the R2 if your complaint is the R3 is too short? :confused:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BloodBag posted:

I wish all these EV people would stop putting stupid glass roofs on the cars. I hated it on my mini cooper since I couldn't cover it and block out the sunlight. I guess it works in the PNW and Northeast where all the people who can afford this poo poo live, but where the sun shines, it's like sitting in a fish bowl and I hate it.

goon.txt

I live entirely too close to the sun and the roof on my 3 is wonderful, because Tesla didn’t cheap out and fail to properly tint it. Modern tint coatings and UV-opaque glasses are loving amazing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

darnon posted:

Then just get the R2 if your complaint is the R3 is too short? :confused:

My complaint is not that the R3 is too short, it appears to be a great overall length! it's that the packaging is kind of annoying and diminishes the utility of having a hatchback.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The flip side is probably a lot more room for rear occupants. Plus as you said, frunk.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, I think the frunk is a game changer. I have no idea how spacious the Rivian frunks are, but you're definitely regaining some of the rear space that was chopped off.

Now the real question is will they make R2Ts and R3Ts?

Edit: Did a little mock up vs a 2014 CX-5 (wife's car). Scaled it based on the wheels - 17" for the Mazda and 20" for the R3. Little shorter height-wise, but pretty close overall. Ballpark 3" longer.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 8, 2024

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, I think the frunk is a game changer. I have no idea how spacious the Rivian frunks are, but you're definitely regaining some of the rear space that was chopped off.

Just get a Canoo pickup.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The frunk on my R1T is huge and has a sub-frunk as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also, a R3T around the size of a Ranger would be incredible. Made it a two-door bench seat and it would be the perfect small electric pickup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Just get a Canoo pickup.

A R3T is more likely to exist than the Canoo pickup and I put the odds of the as-shown R3 seeing the light of day in the low single digits.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A R3T is more likely to exist than the Canoo pickup and I put the odds of the as-shown R3 seeing the light of day in the low single digits.

The Canoo pickup has already been built, and their military contract increases the odds they'll continue to produce them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The Canoo pickup has already been built, and their military contract increases the odds they'll continue to produce them.

They did a 23:1 reverse stock split today to bring the stock price back above the $1 NASDAQ minimum.

As a real company that will continue being a real company goes, they need a lot of things to go their way.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

They did a 23:1 reverse stock split today to bring the stock price back above the $1 NASDAQ minimum.

As a real company that will continue being a real company goes, they need a lot of things to go their way.

LMAO I spoke too soon, I see

I have my fingers crossed, I'd like to see more smallish trucks and vans on the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Also, i would imagine most people aren't following the Nikola stuff.

While Trevor Milton is appealing his 4 year prison sentence for all the fraud around Nikola, he's trying to load the board up with friends of his including Dave "Heavy D" Sparks from diesel bros. Sparks also bought all the rights to the Nikola Badger pickup truck and their UTV/jet skis, and is planning on getting them into production or something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

LMAO I spoke too soon, I see

I have my fingers crossed, I'd like to see more smallish trucks and vans on the road.

Yeah the Canoo is super neat and it would be great if it succeeded but... yeah. Building cars is hard.

That Army contract is for a singular LTV that is functionally a homebuilt prototype. It's meaningless unless there's a major production order, which there won't be, and if there is, Canoo ain't gonna win the contract to actually build it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 8, 2024

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
But the post office bought like six or eight, LOL vans!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Just get a Canoo pickup.

Would an electric COE pickup be all sorts of cool? Hell yeah it would. Is anyone going to be driving a production Canoo in the next decade? :lol:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Would an electric COE pickup be all sorts of cool? Hell yeah it would. Is anyone going to be driving a production Canoo in the next decade? :lol:

Canoo isn't really a COE pickup. It's a standard layout pickup that hides the hood by covering it with windshield, and in the process they lost the frunk.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Saukkis posted:

Canoo isn't really a COE pickup. It's a standard layout pickup that hides the hood by covering it with windshield, and in the process they lost the frunk.

Sounds like a missed opportunity for the world's first fratch.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

They delivered ???? amount of 9000-unit order to something called Kingbee.

https://investors.canoo.com/news-presentations/press-releases/detail/123/canoo-delivered-electric-vehicles-to-kingbee

As much as I'm pulling for them, I doubt they're gonna make it. Or Lucid.

Rivian could hang on due to Amazon delivery vans.

Alpha Motors will never die. They'll never make a vehicle either, but press releases are cheap.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Saukkis posted:

It's cab slightly forward.

(not to scale, although probably pretty close)

It looks like the steering wheel is 18-24 inches forward.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Failson posted:

They delivered ???? amount of 9000-unit order to something called Kingbee.

https://investors.canoo.com/news-presentations/press-releases/detail/123/canoo-delivered-electric-vehicles-to-kingbee

As much as I'm pulling for them, I doubt they're gonna make it. Or Lucid.

Rivian could hang on due to Amazon delivery vans.

Alpha Motors will never die. They'll never make a vehicle either, but press releases are cheap.

Lucid has Saudi bux so they’ll probably be ok.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

quote:

Alfa Romeo will launch its new Stelvio sport utility vehicle (SUV) in the second half of next year, followed by the new Giulia sport sedan in 2026, the Italian premium brand said on Friday.
Under Stellantis, formed at the beginning of 2021 through the merger of Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot maker PSA, Alfa Romeo has undergone a turnaround process and started a reshuffle of its range, with an aim to have a 100% electric vehicle (EV) offer by 2027.
After starting range renewal in 2022 with the Tonale compact SUV, Alfa Romeo will launch next month the Milano sport compact model, the brand's first EV.
"Giulia and Stelvio will be two authentic Italian jewels, exported all over the world, affirming Alfa Romeo as the global premium brand of Stellantis," Alfa Romeo CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato said.
Both the new Stelvio and the new Giulia will be designed in Italy and assembled in the Cassino plant, located between Rome and Naples, and underpinned by Stellantis' new 'STLA' platform for large vehicles, Alfa Romeo said in a statement.
They will be offered both in EV and hybrid versions.

Meh.

I'm sure the Maserati guys would have an opinion about Alfa being the global premium brand of Stellantis...but what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://youtu.be/k0Gt_PUyldc

The back windows pop out a bit on the R2. :3: