Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
DVD cases are so much better than Blu-ray cases. Retvrn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheScott2K posted:

DVD cases are so much better than Blu-ray cases. Retvrn

:wrong:

Taller cases means I can fit fewer shelves in my bookcase, which means I need more bookcases. gently caress DVD cases.

They’re also usually flimsier, especially the more modern eco-cases with the cutouts.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I much prefer the slimmer cases, definitely. Clear BD cases especially look great.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Clear Scanavo/Criterion blu ray cases are objectively the best, but barring those I will take whatever the gently caress they used to make PS2 DVD cases out of. Super thick and heavy plastic. We really got duped by these "eco" cases because if anything they are just more flimsy, breakable and disposable. A pure cost-cutting measure sold to us as being environmentally friendly instead of just building a product that lasts. Whatever. Sleeves are the actual best option for most garbage packaging studio releases.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I like the clear cases for Criterion blurays for pretty much the same reason I like DVD cases - the plastic isn't some dumb color and there's an actual spine there.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I prefer the cases to be opaque.

I wonder what the special effects in Escape from LA would look like in 4K...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I wish all cases were shaped like the hollowed-out heads of Simpsons characters

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Amazon is pleased to inform me that my order of "Interesteller" in 4k is confirmed. I cane't waite to watche Interestellar.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gey muckle mowser posted:

I wish all cases were shaped like the hollowed-out heads of Simpsons charactersJamie Foxx

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

I prefer the cases to be opaque.

pretty loving horrible, but that movie is still a pretty good time

gey muckle mowser posted:

I wish all cases were shaped like the hollowed-out heads of Simpsons characters

I still have my Homer head. It houses the dvd's just fine. i need a john wick head now for all the john wick movies.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

So DVD-style means the same size/height? Or UHD height but with the thick DVD spine? Because I don't have HfRO in any format and I'd be happy to upgrade BHC to 4K for $11 but even thought they'd fit, it would be irritating as hell. Out of all my blu-rays, ONE is DVD size and despite not being terribly anal about my shelving, it's stupid-looking.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

So DVD-style means the same size/height? Or UHD height but with the thick DVD spine? Because I don't have HfRO in any format and I'd be happy to upgrade BHC to 4K for $11 but even thought they'd fit, it would be irritating as hell. Out of all my blu-rays, ONE is DVD size and despite not being terribly anal about my shelving, it's stupid-looking.

It's a DVD case. height and thickness all the same just clear.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

dorium posted:

oh god that'd piss me off cuz then i'd have to store them with the DVDs instead of with the blu rays

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Ordered Interstellar and I'm just going to put the 4K disc in the steelbook Blu-ray case.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Homeybeef posted:

Ordered Interstellar and I'm just going to put the 4K disc in the steelbook Blu-ray case.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Homeybeef posted:

Reported for planning to commit crimes on here

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

big boi posted:

Reported for planning to commit crimes on here

they would've got me long ago if media crimes were enforced here

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've put UHDs in blu ray steelbooks a bunch of times. I probably have 5 or 6 of them like that in my collection. In one case I even shamefully bought a blu ray steelbook just because I knew I had the UHD at home and I wanted the steelbook case to put the UHD disc in. In my defense the steelbook was on sale for like $8.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I put my 4k of Pulp Fiction and my bluray of Jackie Brown in their fold-out DVD cases. They're just so nice.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
So they can definitely offer combo pack UHDs of catalog titles for budget prices. They are charging stupid premiums for cases. Not even the boutique cardboard and paper with art printed on it, but just Elite and Scanavo cases.

This thread is breaking me

TheScott2K posted:

I put my 4k of Pulp Fiction and my bluray of Jackie Brown in their fold-out DVD cases. They're just so nice.

:hai:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

dorium posted:

FFS. What is the possible motivation for this? I've never seen people crying out for DVD-sized cases for their UHDs.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I've put UHDs in blu ray steelbooks a bunch of times. I probably have 5 or 6 of them like that in my collection. In one case I even shamefully bought a blu ray steelbook just because I knew I had the UHD at home and I wanted the steelbook case to put the UHD disc in. In my defense the steelbook was on sale for like $8.

I did this same thing when I found a Blu-ray steelbook of Sicario for, like, $6.

TheScott2K posted:

Heavily considering putting the 4k discs of Alien and Aliens in the big rear end, fold out Alien Quadrilogy DVD set. Will be better than the cover art on either of the 4K releases.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I also put my Fight Club bluray in the "brown box" edition case. So many blurays of catalogue films have such rear end cases

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

holy moly, my local theater is screening cemetery man!

surely at least one of you works at the loft?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I've managed to resist so far, but this motivates me to ask if we should try for a group buy of replacement cases for anything. I've got a Criterion case that a dog got hold of, and I cringe at the thought of a DVD case with a 4k in it. I'm not sure what else, but for the right price I'd be tempted to replace the eco-cases that barely feel more sturdy than a paper sleeve.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Big Mac posted:

I've managed to resist so far, but this motivates me to ask if we should try for a group buy of replacement cases for anything. I've got a Criterion case that a dog got hold of, and I cringe at the thought of a DVD case with a 4k in it. I'm not sure what else, but for the right price I'd be tempted to replace the eco-cases that barely feel more sturdy than a paper sleeve.

You can buy replacement cases straight from Criterion, it's $15 for a pack of 5. I'm sure you can get them cheaper in bulk elsewhere, but if you only need a couple that's an option.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1766163410952098131?t=4x0bVo32bLSTJqp16e7yvg&s=19

:supaburn:

quote:

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
Coming to 4K UHD 5/28 from @severinfilms

Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker 4K UHD

THE WORLDWIDE UHD PREMIERE!

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Disc 1: UHD (Feature + Special Features)
• Audio Commentary With Star Jimmy McNichol
• Audio Commentary With Co-Writer/Producer Steve Breimer And Co-Writer Alan Jay Glueckman, Moderated By Mondo Digital’s Nathaniel Thompson
• Audio Commentary With Co-Producer And Unit Production Manager Eugene Mazzola
• Trailer

Disc 2: Blu-ray (Feature + Special Features)
• Audio Commentary With Star Jimmy McNichol
• Audio Commentary With Co-Writer/Producer Steve Breimer And Co-Writer Alan Jay Glueckman, Moderated By Mondo Digital’s Nathaniel Thompson
• Audio Commentary With Co-Producer And Unit Production Manager Eugene Mazzola
• Extreme Prejudice – Interview With Actor Bo Svenson
• Point And Shoot – Interview With Director Of Photography Robbie Greenberg
• Family Dynamics – Interview With Editor Ted Nicolaou
• Cast And Crew Interviews With Actors Jimmy McNichol, Susan Tyrrell And Steve Eastin, Make-Up Artist Allan A. Apone And Producer Steve Breimer
• Trailer
• TV Spot

FEATURE SPECS:
• Aspect Ratio: 1:85:1
• Audio: English Mono
• Closed Captions: English SDH
• Region: A/B/C
• Running Time: 93 minutes
• Webstore Exclusive Slipcover
• Reversible Wrap

#FilmTwitter #4K #4KUltraHD #Horror #HorrorCommunity

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ive never seen this one. i gotta get on that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Was wondering why it just showed up on Shudder again :hellyeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/SeverinFilms/status/1766168060619375094?s=20

ooooooh I am interested in The Devil's Honey tho. Another one I havent seen, but have heard good things about from Fulci heads.

and pre-ordered.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 8, 2024

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The Devil's Honey has the most inappropriate / hilarious use of a saxophone ever. This will never be topped. Severin are absolutely crushing it with all the UHD announcements today.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
On the score, or as a prop?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cathy’s Curse in 4k with a slipcover with light up eyes. What a time to be alive.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Carpet posted:

On the score, or as a prop?

As a prop. I have the devils honey bluray it's a fun flick but I don't need a 4k of it lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Big Mac posted:

I'd be extremely down to throw in, I have traditionally kept a nice supply of cases on-hand but the pikers on ebay have gotten out of hand the past several years.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah eBay dudes not supplying proper info has been sucking eggs lately. I bought what I thought was a decent copy of Certain Women that ended up being a library copy with a broken case and stickers on the disk and a reprint of the cover art with the library info on it. Really sucks.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really wish we’d get a 4K release of Eyes Without a Face eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
gee i wonder why retailers are sour on their physical media sales right now

This is in the US btw. not even some moon money with bigger numbers.