Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

eh i only got it because a friend was like its hilarious and asked me to play with him and i was like ok .. i just dont like burning money on poo poo i cant even start?

You chose a special day to start, unfortunately we have too much freedom and it broke the servers. Give it a try tomorrow, or don't. Bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

eh i only got it because a friend was like its hilarious and asked me to play with him and i was like ok .. i just dont like burning money on poo poo i cant even start?

It sucks but it's been fine for a few weeks now so I'm sure this will be a blip. Game's worth waiting for.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
slam "buy" more actually. burning money is the secret to spreading democracy.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
The mech's rocket launcher two shots both chargers and titans if you hit them in the head :getin:

Seems like the mech is a really good pick against the bugs. The smaller ones you can just stomp over, you got the minigun for medium armor and the rockets to kill the big guys or close nests. Then again I haven't encountered any spewers yet, those can probably ruin your day.

.Z. posted:

Got smoke nades unlocked yet? I want to know if that'll work against bots with the mech suit, but I'm still like a page away from unlocking it.
Haven't had the chance to play much yet since the servers are melting, but I assume this is a decent combo because with the mech's higher camera POV you can likely look over the smoke while the bots won't be able to lock on to you in return.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Worf posted:

even though i cant play this game because the servers are broken n dead right now for me, its still nice that somebody made a game thats a gigantic success and they charged almost half of what other people are charging and its one of the more fun and playable games ive played in a long time

yea i should have done this on the last one i actually played it would have given me the 2 super samples i need for 200% eagles of freedom

I'm really hoping that some studios are paying attention to things like this and Palword doing crazy numbers and putting 2+2 together to realise that a reasonable price makes an impulse buy (or a considered one for many) far more likely.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Waffle House posted:

I think the mech could use about eight more missiles but oh my god the gatling is fun

The game is really stingey on ammo in an unfun way for the big guns. Machine guns, emplacements, and now the mech, they all really should have more bullets.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

jokes posted:

Even in death, I still serve

I want this to be a ship module unlock. On death your mech locks you in and you go into psycho coffin dreadnought mode for 15 seconds

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The server situation piss me off because I'm at my parents and wanted to play a single player game where I'm around mid campaign while Helldivers has issues, but I can't because that other game had some steamcloud bug and it didn't sync my saves correctly. :/

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

GigaPeon posted:

I'm guessing when they say "Aquire" i bet everyone's jamming on the BUY BUY BUY button and it's DDOSing the inventory servers or something. I couldn't buy anything from the reqs or warbonds screen when I was in earlier.

Yeah it's this.

Something about the way the game authenticates player inventory is a huge bottleneck somehow, that's also why you sometimes get stuck in place when picking up medals and rewards sometimes take a while to register, etc.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I blame GameGuard without knowing anything.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

GlyphGryph posted:

The game is really stingey on ammo in an unfun way for the big guns. Machine guns, emplacements, and now the mech, they all really should have more bullets.

Yessssss more bullets.

Later I would love to have interchangeable guns on the mech too

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BadLlama posted:

Hell, same

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wonder if they'll add mission objectives because as it stands the only "hell on super earth, you are not safe, sweet liberty you are not safe" missions are the evacuation missions but they aren't as bad as they used to be.

Turin Turambar posted:

The server situation piss me off because I'm at my parents and wanted to play a single player game where I'm around mid campaign while Helldivers has issues, but I can't because that other game had some steamcloud bug and it didn't sync my saves correctly. :/

computers UGH COMPUTERS

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

jokes posted:

I wonder if they'll add mission objectives because as it stands the only "hell on super earth, you are not safe, sweet liberty you are not safe" missions are the evacuation missions but they aren't as bad as they used to be.

:dafuq:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In every other mission you can just hit da bricks in any direction and be totally safe, and there's not much of an incentive to kill dudes, but those evacuation missions are very "holy poo poo that's a lot of enemies in every direction" and you need to kill them to survive. It's very fun.

I feel like more mission objectives would allow for some more similar hectic shoot-man adventures rather than the current ones where, with one exception, if things are going tits up you can just walk away from all of your problems: bugs, nests, other helldivers

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 8, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm really hoping that some studios are paying attention to things like this and Palword doing crazy numbers and putting 2+2 together to realise that a reasonable price makes an impulse buy (or a considered one for many) far more likely.

yeah its pretty obvious that publishers/AAA(A) developers make #1 focus on how to get incremental sales and forget that the primary reason people spend money on games is because theyre enjoyable, not because theyre a JPEG store with a GUI (star citizen not withstanding)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BadLlama posted:

y'know what, this is a good policy overall

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

The woeful ammo capacity per medium kills even on minimum RoF is why I don't dust off the regular machinegun for fun. Also the second reason I am not bringing the grenade launcher. #1 is being an accident prone disaster with one :v:

If I gotta hog a support pack to myself deal with medium trash needing 2-3 explosives to kill, might as well stick with the autocannon. Why the gently caress doesn't the basic MG pop fat spitters like a fruit gusher? Yes I know bug weakspots are only weak to explosives, that is why I am complaining!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like the design behind the ammo boxes in this game where you can see at a glance by looking at the actual thing how much ammo is left. I really like that they extended this to the mech too by actually having each rocket you can shoot correspond to a rocket in the pod.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i do understand the complaints with ammo on stuff like the MG, but conversely, keeping resupply on cooldown + scavenging boxes has kept me going on all guns w mostly no prob

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Section Z posted:

The woeful ammo capacity per medium kills even on minimum RoF is why I don't dust off the regular machinegun for fun. Also the second reason I am not bringing the grenade launcher. #1 is being an accident prone disaster with one :v:

If I gotta hog a support pack to myself deal with medium trash needing 2-3 explosives to kill, might as well stick with the autocannon. Why the gently caress doesn't the basic MG pop fat spitters like a fruit gusher? Yes I know bug weakspots are only weak to explosives, that is why I am complaining!

The base call-in MG rules and melts waves of enemies though. Have you tried shooting bile/nursing spewers in the face with it? It's extremely effective and kills them in a fairly short burst. Sure the may not explode, but a dead bug is a good bug.

Edit: haven't had issues finding ammo. There's ammo pretty much everywhere around the maps. It's a bit harder to collect it on higher difficulties, but it's not like there's a dearth of ammo for any weapon.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 8, 2024

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

How well does the mech maneuver on rugged terrain? Seems like my helldiver is mantling constantly and I could see stomping made difficult

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dog nougat posted:

The base call-in MG rules and melts waves of enemies though. Have you tried shooting bile/nursing spewers in the face with it? It's extremely effective and kills them in a fairly short burst. Sure the may not explode, but a dead bug is a good bug.

Edit: haven't had issues finding ammo. There's ammo pretty much everywhere around the maps. It's a bit harder to collect it on higher difficulties, but it's not like there's a dearth of ammo for any weapon.

MG use seems to increase my odds of an IOU instead of ammo, or people desperate to restock their guns beating me to the free supplies. Compared to an autocannon lasting me loving FOREVER and only running low at worst even when people are calling supplies to themselves to play rambo meta across the map.

That said, my mindset is that I don't bring a huge machinegun to do the job a Defender SMG can handle just fine, I bring it to fill big targets with big bullets in a panic situation. So when I see a lot of pretty glowing red bullet hole decals in a mech before it dies because I didn't try to treat it like a marksman rifle or crouch strafing defender SMG kill combo? Yeah, back to autocannons. The fact AC reloads faster unless entirely empty sure helps my bias.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I can't pick up items in sealed bunkers without freezing up my avatar.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Play posted:

I don't believe this, or maybe it's another ps5 player thing. I did two completely unsafe shots (yes, to death) as an experiment, hit the leg both times and the armor didn't break
...having tested myself now, I also am only stripping leg armor after 3 unsafe shots, not two.
The strange part is that the guy in that video is also a PC player solo hosting as I am. Don't really know what to make of that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can the autocannon or recoilless rifle bring down a drop ship? Or is that just the realm of EAT & Spear?

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Can the autocannon or recoilless rifle bring down a drop ship? Or is that just the realm of EAT & Spear?

AC no, recoilless yes

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Recoilless can, AND does not have that awkward delay between pulling out the weapon and being allowed to fire it like the EAT. Even my dumb rear end has 180 no scoped ships with the recoilless. Just make sure you hit the engine.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I tried to squash a bug nest in a mech and exploded, not sure if it was the nest or something else.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Interesting, cheers. It's my new favourite pastime.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

whats the deal with the spear? is it just to trick people into suiciding while it fails at locking on?

it seems like it could be pretty neat, i got it to lock on to a drop ship and blew it out of the sky but it seems to suck royal bot dong at locking in general

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Worf posted:

whats the deal with the spear? is it just to trick people into suiciding while it fails at locking on?

it seems like it could be pretty neat, i got it to lock on to a drop ship and blew it out of the sky but it seems to suck royal bot dong at locking in general

Apparently it's easier to get and maintain a lock in first person mode, so try that if you haven't yet.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

Apparently it's easier to get and maintain a lock in first person mode, so try that if you haven't yet.

that might be one of my biggest gripes with this game is that X, Y, Z stuff works better in first person mode tbh. like i dont wanna switch, and their first person mode is kinda garbo.

ty for the tip tho, i do appreciate the answer

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I've had better luck with the spear lock on by being high up and far away. It is not a close range weapon.

I've been wondering if it's lock-on doesn't use the same logic as enemy line of sight. It really seems to not be able to handle small hills or fog or spores or smoke.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I haven't tried it in first person mode yet, but in third person it worked most of the time against air and ground for me. It seems to prefer that you crouch, but that might just be confirmation bias. Sadly it's unreliable at knocking down dropships because you can't force an engine hit. But it has supplanted the EAT as my "this feels great to use" anti-armour choice.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

One thing you can do with the AC against dropships is to put a few rounds into the troops hanging underneath it as it flies in. You can pretty reliably kill all the small/medium stuff before they can detach.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Game seems pretty hosed atm, having both matchmaking issues and also very buggy matches where players can't be reinforced. Probably time to play Balatro instead until it's off hours.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I've had better luck with the spear lock on by being high up and far away. It is not a close range weapon.

I've been wondering if it's lock-on doesn't use the same logic as enemy line of sight. It really seems to not be able to handle small hills or fog or spores or smoke.

I haven’t had that make a difference yet, I was on the top of some mountain, waiting to be extracted, and it was having difficulty locking onto some hulks that were crawling up towards us

I haven’t been using it in close range either although I did have no trouble locking on to one of the scout walkers that end up close

E: yeah, and the game is busted enough right now that I’ve decided to touch grass instead of playing it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
If the servers are bad now imagine what they'll be like when work is over on the west coast, and for this entire weekend. Ugly tidings

Worf posted:

lol @ the person that doesnt understand the appeal of a game that has so many people playing that the servers wont let them in

sour af

Yeah it's hard to understand the appeal of a game when you just bought it and can't loving play it. Pretty simple concept but you seem like a real salt of the earth kind of guy so maybe we're asking too much here

Play fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Section Z posted:

Recoilless can, AND does not have that awkward delay between pulling out the weapon and being allowed to fire it like the EAT. Even my dumb rear end has 180 no scoped ships with the recoilless. Just make sure you hit the engine.

Oh. And here I was thinking the AC was my new favorite explosion generator.