Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

That's the weird thing, she's not a bad public speaker

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1766139478668685427

I guess she just choked

maybe. might have been different stage and feeling pressure of the moment. again as someone who works phone stuff. when bad days are bad, they hit hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Main Paineframe posted:

This is the most relatable a president has ever been.

Yeah I'd wager someone on the ball orchestrated this. It's silly to not assume that the POTUS isn't incredibly produced.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. might have been different stage and feeling pressure of the moment. again as someone who works phone stuff. when bad days are bad, they hit hard.

She was probably directed to speak that way. I don't think she got the yips and they said gently caress it on a prerecorded response.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

zoux posted:

I guess she just choked

LIKE A DOG

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

She's trying out for Trumps VP. She needs to be a nasty evangelical, the opposite of Pence, to get on Trumps radar.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah I'd wager someone on the ball orchestrated this. It's silly to not assume that the POTUS isn't incredibly produced.

But to work well that takes someone well-practiced and together. It's the same reason the right-wing talking point of "Oh, he gets his answers fed to him through an earpiece, that's why he doesn't seem deep into dementia" is absurd: doing that in an interview/debate/press conference is pretty challenging and not doable for the cognitively impaired.

Related to that, I think his performance last night is pretty analogous to the early primary debates last cycle. He did okay as I recall but the important thing was that it torpedoed the extensive whispering campaign of "Biden's too far gone to mount a real campaign, better line up behind (my candidate) instead!" And then he came out as familiar Biden but more wrinkly.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

People still talk about his 2010 hot mic moment 14 years later

I mean... yes, he referenced it in the speech itself and it got a huge laugh

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I'm surprised Occupy isn't taking a victory lap. This SOTU demonstrates that the dem party was shifted dramatically by that movement.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^^^^^^ common leftist dogma is that Occupy did nothing but create some personalities who later turned out to be shits

Killer robot posted:

But to work well that takes someone well-practiced and together. It's the same reason the right-wing talking point of "Oh, he gets his answers fed to him through an earpiece, that's why he doesn't seem deep into dementia" is absurd: doing that in an interview/debate/press conference is pretty challenging and not doable for the cognitively impaired.

Related to that, I think his performance last night is pretty analogous to the early primary debates last cycle. He did okay as I recall but the important thing was that it torpedoed the extensive whispering campaign of "Biden's too far gone to mount a real campaign, better line up behind (my candidate) instead!" And then he came out as familiar Biden but more wrinkly.

I think Biden appears both incredibly old but also cognitively "there". I'm not arguing that.

I'm saying the "oops hot mic!" has a good chance of being an intentional gimmick.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Shammypants posted:

Right? I wonder who the RNC thinks is going to be mad about this. Also, there is no such thing as an unanticipated hot mic on the floor of SOTU.

The fascists will pretend to be mad at this, as they do with everything else. Their belief and behaviors do not require any consistency at all. Right wing media will especially latch onto this, as general media response has been mostly positive to the speech. They're desperate for anything they can use, so they will use this even though their own base hates Jewish people.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 8, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Occupy definitely injected a little bit of language into the discourse that we needed. But it also gave us Tim Pool and a whole cavalcade of self-promoters like him. So it’s definitely a great example of how not to structure a protest movement (obligatory read IF WE BURN) because it turns out you need a plan, discipline and clear goals that Naomi Wolf can’t claim to own. It was like if you looked at successful mass movements that had preceded it and said “okay let’s do it the opposite of that”

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

selec posted:

Occupy definitely injected a little bit of language into the discourse that we needed. But it also gave us Tim Pool and a whole cavalcade of self-promoters like him. So it’s definitely a great example of how not to structure a protest movement (obligatory read IF WE BURN) because it turns out you need a plan, discipline and clear goals that Naomi Wolf can’t claim to own. It was like if you looked at successful mass movements that had preceded it and said “okay let’s do it the opposite of that”

If We Burn is tbh a terrible book to read about protest structure/strategy or for anything resembling a deep analysis of social organization and dynamics within movements. He spends the entire book talking about how protests get coopted by charismatic individuals and outside influences and his conclusion is basically, "maybe we should start them off with a charismatic vanguard which will prevent cooptiing" which you've outlined. I think there's maybe 6 pages maximum that actually are focused on analysis or protest tactics.

The personal memoirs of Brazil are the parts that make me still say it's worth reading, as well as the Tunisia sections. The prose is also great and it's an engaging and interesting read.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kagrenak posted:

If we burn is tbh a terrible book to read about protest structure/strategy or for anything resembling a deep analysis of social organization and dynamics within movements. He spends the entire book talking about how protests get coopted by charismatic individuals and outside influences and his conclusion is basically, "maybe we should start them off with a charismatic vanguard which will prevent cooptiing" which you've outlined. I think there's maybe 6 pages maximum that actually are focused on analysis or protest tactics.

The personal memoirs of Brazil are the parts that make me still say it's worth reading, as well as the Tunisia sections. The prose is also great and it's an engaging and interesting read.

This doesn’t jibe with my takeaways from the book. I think there are some clear observations; keep your goals clear, organize and have plans and backup plans, and do not let NGOs you can’t hold accountable get involved. It doesn’t just come out and tell you to take a Leninist tact, but it will breadcrumb a reader aware of that tendency towards it. It feels like a good tip off book that you then follow up with deeper, more focused readings.

It’s not written as a manual, but I think a good analysis is there and pretty easy to pull from when thinking about why Occupy ended up being such a dead end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1766156560261083244

Tommy Tuberville is such a dumb gently caress. Also Britt was a comms staffer for Richard Shelby the second she graduated from Bama, and went on to biglaw practice before returning to be Shelby's CoS in 2016. She has never been a "housewife".

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

selec posted:

This doesn’t jibe with my takeaways from the book. I think there are some clear observations; keep your goals clear, organize and have plans and backup plans, and do not let NGOs you can’t hold accountable get involved. It doesn’t just come out and tell you to take a Leninist tact, but it will breadcrumb a reader aware of that tendency towards it. It feels like a good tip off book that you then follow up with deeper, more focused readings.

It’s not written as a manual, but I think a good analysis is there and pretty easy to pull from when thinking about why Occupy ended up being such a dead end.

Yeah I guess I see your point as well but maybe it's just that the conclusions seem so obvious to me. Like anyone could look at the series of protest movements in the early teens and see that maintaining cohesive control of messaging and resisting outside influences through tight planning is fairly critical to not having poo poo end up the opposite of where you wanted it.

But maybe I only think it was so obvious and surface level because I was very involved in my city's occupy protests along with some more directed and planned actions afterwards and it was a formative time in my life, especially politically. I've personally also spent a long time grappling with how that all went down and the pitfalls of the structure it took and discussing these thoughts with my friends from the time.

Either way I definitely agree with the sentiment that it's well worth a read for anyone interested in protest movements.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Generally, the people who show commitment to leftist principles, actual organizational skills, and the charisma to helm a protest movement all end up committing suicide with two shotgun slugs to the back of the head before burning themselves inside their cars.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When you believe that the system is so rotten it has to be detonated and rebuilt from first principles, acknowledging wins achieved through the process or electoralism is a direct counter to your world view. Which is why you rarely see leftists take a W.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Tommy Tuberville is such a dumb gently caress. Also Britt was a comms staffer for Richard Shelby the second she graduated from Bama, and went on to biglaw practice before returning to be Shelby's CoS in 2016. She has never been a "housewife".

He means she was picked to play a housewife and did an admirable job for having zero acting experience :haw:

dweepus
Nov 25, 2021

zoux posted:

To be fair, Tuberville probably sees "housewife" and "woman" as synonymous

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also the best part is you can tell greene is pissed that he doesnt react the way she wants him too. its great.

She dressed and acted like a clown and he looked at her and laughed like you would at a clown instead of indulging her. This is the way it should have been done all along.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

zoux posted:

When you believe that the system is so rotten it has to be detonated and rebuilt from first principles, acknowledging wins achieved through the process or electoralism is a direct counter to your world view. Which is why you rarely see leftists take a W.

Even totally earnest and realistic activists often fall into a trap of never acknowledging progress for fear that it will make their message feel less urgent and cause complacency among their allies. Though not disputing that it matters even less for people whose strategy is more "take power after the system collapses" than to secure improvements in the present.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
(Hears about the GOP Rebuttal to SOTU)

… it can’t be that bad can it?

(Tunes in)

Ohhh lord…

:allears: tell me about how pissed off you are about the border wall while also telling me how the GOP leadership and Trump put a kibosh on it :allears:

Edit: lol on the most violent time ever for crimes

Edit 2: dear lord it’s just getting worse with every point. :laffo:

GOP- “Putin is hurting our allies”
Also GOP- “no funding for Ukraine”

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 8, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1766138870121320462

Well of course that's what they WOULD say isn't it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

gently caress Xitter but that headline is too good to be hidden

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Also, governments are not covering up aliens.

If it sounds like they might be, entertain other explanations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

zoux posted:

If a "good public speaker" has any probability of dropping this kind of performance when they're up for the show, they're a bad public speaker

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

gently caress Xitter but that headline is too good to be hidden

Government Is Not Covering Up Aliens, Aliens Say

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Government Is Not Covering Up Aliens, Aliens Say

"We're right here in front of you," they continued while speaking to CSPAN and waving at the camera.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1766139478668685427

I guess she just choked
https://twitter.com/piper4missouri/...ber%3D1241pti12
https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/the-fundie-baby-voice

apperently its fundie baby voice. loving gross.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChrisDJackson/status/1766209839670129000

I think a lot of this was rubberneckers who were expecting him to poo poo the bed (or himself). Well, I guess I'd have to see if ratings always spike in a presidential cycle or not

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Now that Biden came out swinging like this in the SOTU, and it was so well received, I think it also set up the baseline of what people expect. Now, if he does indeed croak soon after re-elected and Harris becomes the President, she has that expectation of where she has to be, including the pot descheduling, and something will make voters upset.

Sort of makes it feel more reassuring now.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

how are more people not discussing the fact that katie britt's son is named ridgeway

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

how are more people not discussing the fact that katie britt's son is named ridgeway

For years we've been unaware that Shelley Moore Capito has a son name Moore Capito.

My friends, behold. The narrative.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm getting deja vu. All of this happened 4 years ago verbatim. People, including goons, were convinced that the debates were going to feature Biden's brain leaking out of his ears in real time. When he acquitted himself well, it instantly turned to speculation on whether was doped up on magic anti dementia drugs that only worked for an hour at a time. Somehow this pattern repeated for both the Bernie and Trump debates despite happening months apart. Just baffling.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 8, 2024

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

7c Nickel posted:

I'm getting deja vu. All of this happened 4 years ago verbatim. People, including goons, were convinced that the debates were going to feature Biden's brain leaking out of his ears in real time. When he acquitted himself well, it instantly turned to speculation on whether was doped up on magic anti dementia drugs that only worked for a hour at a time. Somehow this pattern repeated for both the Bernie and Trump debates despite happening months apart. Just baffling.

I agree it is and was wildly overblown, but I think you're forgetting just how low register and sluggish Biden's early rallies and appearances were in the 2020 primary. He started that race not firing on all cylinders and it took him quite a while to get any real energy going, particularly contrasted with Bernie's anger and Trump's meth-fueled rants.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I just think this whole narrative is really silly because if you are framing Joe Biden as a dusty corpse that is such an insanely low bar to clear that when he just gives a speech with energy it looks like he flew over Mt Everest or something. It really seems like a foolish line of attack but that hasn't stopped Republicans from stepping on rakes in the past.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

I'm getting deja vu. All of this happened 4 years ago verbatim. People, including goons, were convinced that the debates were going to feature Biden's brain leaking out of his ears in real time. When he acquitted himself well, it instantly turned to speculation on whether was doped up on magic anti dementia drugs that only worked for an hour at a time. Somehow this pattern repeated for both the Bernie and Trump debates despite happening months apart. Just baffling.

that at least i can understand as Captain_Maclaine stated but like now its stupid. i have seen people here and elsewhere use the same bullshit and wow gee, bidens fine and can even do good speeches and attack chuds and explain policy. its like don't fall for chud bullshit, i assume goons are better then that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

don't fall for chud bullshit,

the chuds always believe their own bullshit and fall for it, though, it's a perennially recurring thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the chuds always believe their own bullshit and fall for it, though, it's a perennially recurring thing.

i mean goons falling for obvious chud bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I agree it is and was wildly overblown, but I think you're forgetting just how low register and sluggish Biden's early rallies and appearances were in the 2020 primary. He started that race not firing on all cylinders and it took him quite a while to get any real energy going, particularly contrasted with Bernie's anger and Trump's meth-fueled rants.

Just like this time he just hadn't kicked off his campaign to speak of when the whispering campaign was already in full force. I know because I fell for it, and only realized in retrospect it hadn't really been based on anything he actually had said or did.