Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So I finally found a quasi sci fi shirt story that I’ve been trying to find for years (The Law, by Robert Coates), but I have no idea what the ending means. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

So I finally found a quasi sci fi shirt story that I’ve been trying to find for years (The Law, by Robert Coates), but I have no idea what the ending means. Any ideas?

Oh man, I remember that story! I think the ending is mostly just a joke that doesn't make sense if you read into it too closely though. The law of diminishing returns states that the more effort (or investment) you make at something, the less additional return you get on that effort. For example, if you're an untrained runner, you might need, say, a hundred hours of running to get your mile time from 10 minutes down to to 7 minutes. And then you might need another thousand hours of running to get it down from 7 minutes to 6 minutes, and another thousand to get it down to 5:45.

The story is saying that people who, stereotypically, make very little effort, are getting huge returns. It's kind of adjacent, but isn't what most people would imagine if you said that the Law of Diminishing Returns had stopped working. I expect that they'd imagine instead a world in which you got more or less constant returns on investment, no matter your priors. Kind of like how in martial arts anime shows, there's no upper bound to how strong you can get from training.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Okay, that clears things up, no idea why I was having issues with it. Thanks!

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I wouldn't necessarily say it's that the people on the margins are making little effort, it's that they're practicing a way of life that is meant by the logics of capitalist economic development to be fully developed and invested in to the point at which it is no longer supposed to be able to produce any kind of wealth for the people doing the labor, and hence they should not be making any kind of actual economic success out of their life. I think he's trying to use the law of diminishing returns as it relates to it's economic purpose rather than the abstraction that people use for small-scale personal development.

I don't imagine Robert Coates was a marxist who was making a joke about capitalist productivity and exploitation though, the story reads more like a joke about how mathematical and economic laws are different from legal laws and don't really get enforced so much as they materialize from physical reality and what a pain in the rear end it'd be to try to repair them through legislation if they stopped working.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

This is some super paranoid poo poo but I feel like either some angry former co-workers or some spam account keeps trying to post jobs with my portfolio email at care.com. But Care.com is a faceless app company so how do I even contact them to say that isn't me just block the email.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I was looking for a shake blender bottle thing for protein powder that has a flat lid without a spout, since those are annoying to clean etc. Also I prefer a short one that's easier to get your hand into since I do sponge instead of brush etc.

I guess any closed container you put a blender ball in might work, but I'm just not finding it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why does putting metal in the microwave make it go cuckoo bananas and dangerous?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Microwaves shoot radiation at molecular bonds to make them vibrate and metal isn't even made of molecules (it's a lattice of atoms).

Metal can either reflect the radiation away from the food, concentrate it in different spots to scorch parts of your microwave, or create a concentrated field of radiation around it to create ionized air/plasma, which is different from fire but not different enough that you want it floating around uncontrolled in your home appliances.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 6, 2024

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Black Noise posted:

This is some super paranoid poo poo but I feel like either some angry former co-workers or some spam account keeps trying to post jobs with my portfolio email at care.com. But Care.com is a faceless app company so how do I even contact them to say that isn't me just block the email.

Even if you do contact them, good luck getting them to even understand what the issue is much less do anything about it.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I just want them to block the email from ever making a posting. I managed to accidentally do this with constant contact.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Flournival Dixon posted:

Microwaves shoot radiation at molecular bonds to make them vibrate and metal isn't even made of molecules (it's a lattice of atoms).

Metal can either reflect the radiation away from the food, concentrate it in different spots to scorch parts of your microwave, or create a concentrated field of radiation around it to create ionized air/plasma, which is different from fire but not different enough that you want it floating around uncontrolled in your home appliances.

That also kind of helps me understand why my microwave has a metal grille in it with no issues: it doesn't concentrate the radiation so it's harmless, but tinfoil would.
Anyway, followup question: does it heat all molecules or is it specifically water molecules? I seem to remember that, but I would like to know if it's just bullshit.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

BonHair posted:

That also kind of helps me understand why my microwave has a metal grille in it with no issues: it doesn't concentrate the radiation so it's harmless, but tinfoil would.
Anyway, followup question: does it heat all molecules or is it specifically water molecules? I seem to remember that, but I would like to know if it's just bullshit.
Microwaves heat polar molecules; water is polar (and in most food), but there are other things that are polar too.

Like ammonia is polar, a microwave would heat that up just fine. Probably don't though, really hot ammonia doesn't seem like a good idea.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 6, 2024

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
When I was at university, I remember my biology professor talking about someone a hundred or so years ago (quite possibly a nurse) using circles or big dots to visually represent a data set. Possibly the data set had something to do with the spread of disease or something healthcare related, but it was the way they used the graphics to show the data that really got people's attention at the time. Basically it was a story about how you can get people to take data seriously if you present it in a particular way.

Does anyone know who or what I am talking about? Sorry this is so vague but it's really annoying me that I can't remember the details :(

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

bee posted:

When I was at university, I remember my biology professor talking about someone a hundred or so years ago (quite possibly a nurse) using circles or big dots to visually represent a data set. Possibly the data set had something to do with the spread of disease or something healthcare related, but it was the way they used the graphics to show the data that really got people's attention at the time. Basically it was a story about how you can get people to take data seriously if you present it in a particular way.

Does anyone know who or what I am talking about? Sorry this is so vague but it's really annoying me that I can't remember the details :(

Doesn't quite match the details but does match the vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

bee posted:

Might be John Show and his cholera data - https://www.visualcapitalist.com/data-visualization-cholera/?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

bee posted:

It's probably Florence Nightingale, who some people say "invented infographics" to show that the health outcomes of the Crimean war were even worse than the battlefields

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

EricBauman posted:

It's probably Florence Nightingale, who some people say "invented infographics" to show that the health outcomes of the Crimean war were even worse than the battlefields

It's this one! Thanks heaps :)

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

EricBauman posted:

That's extremely cool

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

How do you pronounce Villejeune? It's the name of a town in a book I'm reading, takes place in the bayou, and in my head, it's said "Villa-June". I'm curious if I'm right, or way off.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Leave posted:

How do you pronounce Villejeune? It's the name of a town in a book I'm reading, takes place in the bayou, and in my head, it's said "Villa-June". I'm curious if I'm right, or way off.

https://www.howtopronounce.com/villejeune

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Leave posted:

I would assume it's French?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Neat! I was way off! I'm currently looking up Welsh words

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have one of these on my desk:

I don't need my name on my desk, but it measures out to 2x8". It might be cool to cool to find some sort of artwork I could buy and cut up to fit inside, but I don't know what.

edit: maybe some nes game level layout might be cool

edit2: I whipped this up, I would obviously use a real printer next time but its kinda cute? Maybe need a better map

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 8, 2024

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

At an old job we had those things at our desks and a coworker MS Painted us all these deeply cringe name tags with boomer minions memes poorly pasted on them. I don't know why work tolerated that guy because he mostly did that poo poo instead of working.

I don't think this helps I just wanted to share

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

I think you've got the makings of a fine Photoshop thread right there

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

At an old job we had those things at our desks and a coworker MS Painted us all these deeply cringe name tags with boomer minions memes poorly pasted on them. I don't know why work tolerated that guy because he mostly did that poo poo instead of working.

I don't think this helps I just wanted to share

Fun fact: having fun at work is actually really good for both mental health and productivity.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

BonHair posted:

Fun fact: having fun at work is actually really good for both mental health and productivity.

Not his lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

honestly corporations deserve that sort of worker.

that said, it sucks if/when their work ends up on your plate.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If he improves the productivity of 10 coworkers by 10% each, that's his entire justification. Same deal as companies hiring baristas, but actually good when it works. Plus he probably does like 20% actual work on top æ

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If he could do no work but have fun while not losing his job and you busted yourself but didn't enjoy it then it is pretty easy to see who was winning at that job.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

That doesn’t sound like fun to me

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

That doesn’t sound like fun to me

No, not if you're involved I would imagine.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Crankit posted:

In star trek when spaceships meet how come one isn't upside down or at some angle, why are they all the same way up?

In space, everything is nearly always orbiting something. Moons go around planets, planets go around stars, stars go around the centre of their galaxy. They also all go around in the same direction, and roughly the same plane. Solar systems and galaxies are both sort of disc shaped.

Because you've nearly always got a disc, that establishes an up-and-down axis. It doesn't determine whic one is up and which one is down, but you'd at least expect spacecraft to be all aligned relative to that. And then maybe there's an intergalactic convention on which way is up, relative to the direction of orbit (eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule#A_rotating_body).

But the simple answer is: because it's a TV show.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What could cause wifi to not actually serve internet? I'm at a hotel that has wifi for guests, but after I connect my Android phone, nothing works. My brother-in-law reported the same thing on his iPhone. I didn't bring any kind of computer to check. I tried all the things I had access to on this page but nothing fixed it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

hooah posted:

What could cause wifi to not actually serve internet? I'm at a hotel that has wifi for guests, but after I connect my Android phone, nothing works. My brother-in-law reported the same thing on his iPhone. I didn't bring any kind of computer to check. I tried all the things I had access to on this page but nothing fixed it.

Probably a captive portal. Go to a website (any website) and see if you get redirected to an entry page from the hotel.

Or ask the hotel reception.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

It could simply be that their Internet connection is down.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hyperlynx posted:

Probably a captive portal. Go to a website (any website) and see if you get redirected to an entry page from the hotel.

Or ask the hotel reception.

It kinda is a captive portal, but not the usual kind - it doesn't redirect or anything. Just doesn't connect. I had to go to a specific site and sell my email first.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Possibly a dns problem. Are you using a vpn or custom dns at all? Nextdns?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hooah posted:

It kinda is a captive portal, but not the usual kind - it doesn't redirect or anything. Just doesn't connect. I had to go to a specific site and sell my email first.

i dont know what you mean by "sell" your email but usually those kind of sign in things will accept anything that looks like an email address, it doesnt have to be a real one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What does "real ____ hours" mean? Sometimes I'll see things like "real schizo hours" or "real Greg hours" and I have no idea what it means.