Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

early wow's story was easy to miss even if you were doing the raids and stuff honestly. a lot of it was in quest text or dialog bubbles over NPC's heads, it wasnt like ff14 where there were giant cutscenes showing it until relatively recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

early wow's story was easy to miss even if you were doing the raids and stuff honestly. a lot of it was in quest text or dialog bubbles over NPC's heads, it wasnt like ff14 where there were giant cutscenes showing it until relatively recently.

the people playing and enjoying those games also enjoyed the darky and edgy stuff, the whole dickwolves thing with Penny Arcade really crystalized how so many gamers just did not care about gross sexual violence as a narrative tool

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

trust me they didnt forget because they made sure to include a 'haha, don't tell alexstraza about THIS one!!' line in the original quest description

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the game dev group blizzard. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Zore posted:

[...] they also literally had you interact with her and have her give you her blessing for doing so.

this is especially "what the gently caress", glad i play ffxiv instead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFfVydNvSy0

whoever wins, we all lose...

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
did original alan wake fans even care about the wake 2 fake outrage i feel like a lot of those guys jumped in from yelling about other franchises

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

euroshopper posted:

did original alan wake fans even care about the wake 2 fake outrage i feel like a lot of those guys jumped in from yelling about other franchises

This happens a lot because of the open forum nature of social media. I don't mean that in a cope "nobody who's a bad person could be a real fan of what I like" sort of way, there really is a large contingent of roaming cloutchasers who jump on the latest controversy while it still gets engagement before moving to the next one.

I'm surprised it never came up in this thread before but Asmongold complaining about Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth going woke is a good example of how this stuff "breaches containment" and can get picked up by sharks, because you know people who only tangentially knew the games must have been so confused that this organized crime series was about wacky hijinks and wholesome character development, and concluded it must have been a change from Woke.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 8, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Actually the real best example of people obviously not caring about the subject of controversy was when the weird anti-woke anti-localization people had to pretend to care about niche visual novel House of Fata Morgana, because it used the term male fragility in English.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

mycot posted:

Actually the real best example of people obviously not caring about the subject of controversy was when the weird anti-woke people had to pretend to care about niche visual novel House of Fata Morgana, because it used the term male fragility.

haha, that's the upsetting Gothic Horror in a more Wuthering Heights way one with the super lacy visuals, correct?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Gamers are so insanely insecure that the current weird as gently caress controversy is people being mad about a narrative consultancy company that has been in the business for ages because gamers saw an old trailer for Alan Wake 2 featuring a white actress for Saga Anderson and assumed the company made her and every video game character black

It's either that or they just seem to hate everyone who makes them in any way. The lazy developers, the writers, journalists, reviewers, critics, fans, non-fans, it's weird. Is there a term for this, I think it's crazy that you can have an 'enemies' you need a scroll to fill out all the space with and still keep coming back to play more of them.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

wizard2 posted:

haha, that's the upsetting Gothic Horror in a more Wuthering Heights way one with the super lacy visuals, correct?

Yup.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grondoth posted:

Has Blizzard made a good move in the past, like, 6 years? I really struggle to think of the last piece of positive news after D4's initial "hey this isn't bad" wore off.
Hearthstone massively improved the F2P experience in 2019 and 2020 with the introduction of battlegrounds (the most popular mode) and lots of changes to how cards are obtained. The game has had ups and downs since then but I think saying it was better in 2022 than in 2018 wouldn't be too controversial.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mycot posted:

Actually the real best example of people obviously not caring about the subject of controversy was when the weird anti-woke anti-localization people had to pretend to care about niche visual novel House of Fata Morgana, because it used the term male fragility in English.
With the caveat that there are some real dogshit localizations out there worth poking fun at, these days good rule of thumb is that if somebody's passionately complaining about a localization choice on the internet their brain is probably mush and you should ignore them.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sydin posted:

With the caveat that there are some real dogshit localizations out there worth poking fun at, these days good rule of thumb is that if somebody's passionately complaining about a localization choice on the internet their brain is probably mush and you should ignore them.

99% of the time on Twitter it amounts to believing Japan has no concept of jokes, LGBT people, or swearing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I never liked Blizzard much, but… uh.

They what.

Train youtube has a surprisingly large audience. 750k views for a ride through Hanover, using the subtitle track for commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EC7ZVHGrxc

Exactly as poo poo as I remember Hanover being on new year's eve.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Sydin posted:

It doesn't help that a lot of nerd media critique is made by people who have no idea what they're talking about. In the same way you can often find people complaining about kids cartoons who don't understand the difference between character design and animation, you get a lot of armchair translators who don't seem to understand that translating something from Japanese to English isn't a 1:1 substitution cipher and think there is a singular "correct" translation. So much of it comes down to nerds not understanding that not all aspects of life are objectively quantifiable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

yeah but sometimes they censor vagina bones

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

i think its more down to like, the angle. if theyre talking about a specific localization choice or the general vibe of a specific translation or smth thats one thing. if theyre talking about ANOTHER RUINED LOCALIZATION theyre a moron

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

It is very, very funny to watch people admit 12 tweets into a bad localization meltdown that they don't actually speak/read japanese at all

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
We had an somewhat insane person on this forum trying to do an deep textual dive into the world of Dark Souls and jrpgs in general going off the English text and then casually dismissed the posters who pointed out some of their "evidence" are merely translation errors and not part 37 of a massive decades long conspiracy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

We had an somewhat insane person on this forum trying to do an deep textual dive into the world of Dark Souls and jrpgs in general going off the English text and then casually dismissed the posters who pointed out some of their "evidence" are merely translation errors and not part 37 of a massive decades long conspiracy.
they thought all of japanese game dev history was a tribute to a secret trans person who existed and touched all these people's lives and every game they made was a tribute to her, because of stunning revelations like 'japanese games depict deities as androgynous a lot'

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

they thought all of japanese game dev history was a tribute to a secret trans person who existed and touched all these people's lives and every game they made was a tribute to her, because of stunning revelations like 'japanese games depict deities as androgynous a lot'

also that games included sunflowers in their imagery

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

Also sunflowers exist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

It is very, very funny to watch people admit 12 tweets into a bad localization meltdown that they don't actually speak/read japanese at all

or know anything about translation

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

I remember this post but forgotten then poster. Are they still around and cooking?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
what if i told you a significant portion of dark souls came from dungeons and dragons sourcebooks miyazaki thought were cool

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what if i told you a significant portion of dark souls came from dungeons and dragons sourcebooks miyazaki thought were cool

Dark Souls would have been way cooler if he was into eberron

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think translation is a wonderfully complex topic and you can have legitimate discussions on whether alternatives to industry standard translation practices should exist, except you can't have those discussions because people will instead make up poo poo, bring up isolated infamous bad localizations, or get shocked at concepts like "Japanese generic period-drama dialogue sounds different than English generic period-drama dialogue"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

It was actually all written by George R. R. Martin

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TheFlyingLlama posted:

The virgin "singular they is grammatically incorrect and woke" vs the chad "most pronouns in Japanese are gender neutral by default"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I want someone to translate old-style Chinese pronouns literally

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol the trans character that was finally confirmed as trans causing meltdowns of tweets saying she was a femboy and not trans i dont remember the character forgive me

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

A lot of the inspiration came from this series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Fantasy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i took a college course on translation and the textbook was one of the most interseting things i have ever read. wonder if i still have it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lobster shirt posted:

i took a college course on translation and the textbook was one of the most interseting things i have ever read. wonder if i still have it.

scholarly writing on translation goes back literally thousands of years it's sick

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol the trans character that was finally confirmed as trans causing meltdowns of tweets saying she was a femboy and not trans i dont remember the character forgive me

That was Bridget from Guilty Gear.

Guilty Gear also has the character Testament who is nonbinary. At first people cried about this being a retcon but it turns out they have literally never been referred to with gendered pronouns in Japanese and the Japanese fanbase always considered them genderless, it just that PS2 era translations hated using singular they/them for some reason so they just defaulted to he/him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Bridget from Guilty Gear?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

is this about Bridget from Guilty Gear?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you mean bridget she wasnt really 'always trans,' the whole bit in the earlier games was her saying shes a guy even though she's cute. there is a legitimate writing shift from what she was before.

but also its literally the same person who created the character making that writing shift and every character in strive is the opposite of who they were at the start of the series, thats the whole point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i think its bridget from guilty gear