Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

idk if one of sweet baby's functions is to review scripts and make sure there isnt something horribly egregious they would have been extremely useful when resident evil 5 came out and they had the villager sections

If you had read the documents in the game you would have known that the villager’s traditional construction methods were very sophisticated and they were often called on to build scaffolding for workers restoring particularly delicate or historically important buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

TuxedoOrca posted:

I can't get over this company's name being Sweet Baby Inc.

It is very funny.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

sweet baby jesus!

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

External Organs posted:

PS5
Xbox
Switch pro

:question:

As much as I like the switch pro controller, I wouldn’t buy it for PC. Input lag isn’t great and some compatibility issues.
Xbox controller will work right out of the box but the ps5 controller has more features (like gyro and additional buttons thanks to the trackpad). I’d say go with whichever is the most comfortable for you.

Kefa fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 8, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Is this one of those things where only a handful of people online are outraged?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gripweed posted:

Houston would be a great setting for an open world game. There’s the stately manors of River Oaks right next door to Downtown with the skyscrapers linked by underground tunnels, right next door to the last bit of industry and old houses in fifth ward, with the bayous running through it all. If you invented the city for a video game people would say it was unrealistic to have these varied zones right next to each other.

You got the obvious downtown, then extend southeast and include the Galveston area (if you really stretch it you can include Space Center Houston), and then blur your eyes and pretend real hard that you can go west to the hill country and capital.

Ez pz

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Srice posted:

The PS5 controller is good all around, though the 8bitdo Pro 2 is handy if you want something with some buttons on the back while not being expensive as heck.

My experience with 8bitdo pro 2 was bad… the software wasn’t the greatest when I tried it with every update breaking something new or adding literal drift or extra dead zones. The triggers started squeaking very fast too. Oh and the sticks are less accurate than ps ones in general (probably not noticeable by most people though).
The back buttons are great though and those should have become the standard a long time ago.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

unremarkable american city would be a great place to set a video game

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Bonus for a Houston map: you could hide the loading zones with the long drives to each area. It's built in!

I just want to see what a game setting would do with The Woodlands. It's called The Woodlands, for christ's sake.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mr Hootington posted:

Going by the curator numbers it's slightly more than a handful, I think it's up to over 200k members? Still not a gigantic number or anything, definitely a small amount when you consider online presence as a whole, but more than a handful, I'd say.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

idk if one of sweet baby's functions is to review scripts and make sure there isnt something horribly egregious they would have been extremely useful when resident evil 5 came out and they had the villager sections
tbf in re5's case the core premise is so touchy that its kinda impossible to save just with a script pass

like you could remove some of the off dialog but the villages are still depicted like chris is defending rorke's drift

Mr Hootington posted:

yes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

unremarkable american city would be a great place to set a video game

they've done it a ton already, it's true

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Going by the curator numbers it's slightly more than a handful, I think it's up to over 200k members? Still not a gigantic number or anything, definitely a small amount when you consider online presence as a whole, but more than a handful, I'd say.
tbf how many of those people are actually mad and how many just joined because it was a thing being talked about and they were curious

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

tbf how many of those people are actually mad and how many just joined because it was a thing being talked about and they were curious

I mean, you don't need to follow a curator out of curiosity, but I guess I don't know how people interact with curators. I don't touch the drat things myself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Infinity Gaia posted:

what do you mean by curator numbers?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

broken pixel posted:

Bonus for a Houston map: you could hide the loading zones with the long drives to each area. It's built in!

I just want to see what a game setting would do with The Woodlands. It's called The Woodlands, for christ's sake.

A lot of the driving in Houston is self inflicted. You live in Lake Olympia and work downtown, yeah no poo poo you have to do a lot of driving. If you live and work inside 610 there’s really not that much driving. A surprising amount of the actual city is surprisingly bicycle friendly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this whole thing started because one of the sweet baby inc people found a steam curator that was listing what games they worked on and then made a bunch of mad tweets about it trying to get it removed from steam, in an incredibly obvious case of streisand effect.

the steam curator doesn't say anything in its bio or descriptions of games, just what games they worked on and proof they did, so iunno why they expected it to get removed from steam. it was clearly made for dumb reasons but it feels like shooting yourself in the foot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

what do you mean by curator numbers?

this whole thing started because one of the sweet baby inc people found a steam curator that was listing what games they worked on and then made a bunch of mad tweets about it trying to get it removed from steam, in an incredibly obvious case of streisand effect.

the steam curator doesn't say anything in its bio or descriptions of games, just what games they worked on and proof they did, so iunno why they expected it to get removed from steam. it was clearly made for dumb reasons but it feels like shooting yourself in the foot.

also it is funny seeing some of the games they were involved on. like i get it from aaa devs but i promise your indie platformer about a cute dog does not need a consultant.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 8, 2024

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kefa posted:

My experience with 8bitdo pro 2 was bad… the software wasn’t the greatest when I tried it with every update breaking something new or adding literal drift or extra dead zones. The triggers started squeaking very fast too. Oh and the sticks are less accurate than ps ones in general (probably not noticeable by most people though).
The back buttons are great though and those should have become the standard a long time ago.

Bummer. I've been fortunate enough to not run into any issues with mine but I can imagine the quality control being more inconsistent than the standard console controllers.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

broken pixel posted:

i went to see Iron Maiden there

Shinjobi posted:

You got the obvious downtown, then extend southeast and include the Galveston area (if you really stretch it you can include Space Center Houston), and then blur your eyes and pretend real hard that you can go west to the hill country and capital.

Ez pz

don't forget the bladerunner dystopia of Texas City with the refineries and poo poo. if you fall in the ship channel you'd take poison damage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why does this have a diversity consultant

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Srice posted:

Bummer. I've been fortunate enough to not run into any issues with mine but I can imagine the quality control being more inconsistent than the standard console controllers.

Well to be fair I should’ve added that people do seem to like 8bitdo stuff in general so maybe I just had a bad experience. But yes I’d imagine the QA is not as good as with the big three’s.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

External Organs posted:

PS5
Xbox
Switch pro

:question:

Joy-cons :getin:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

i assume they either didn't have a lot of confidence in their ideas and wanted to tick every box to make sure their game would sell (which is a fair enough concern when it comes to the stark margins indies operate on), or someone got them to buy into the consulting grift

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the dog was very problematic in the original version

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I assume anything labeled consulting is a grift to reward friends, family, or anyone else in your circle after outright patronage and bribes became too gauche for the middling classes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Is the consulting firm only about game content or could they have been hired to look at the practices of the development company itself?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Is the consulting firm only about game content or could they have been hired to look at the practices of the development company itself?

they seem to only be about the writing. its possible they also just straight up do writing for hire as well i guess but again that doesnt really seem like a game youd need to outsource the narrative to

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

edit: nm, misread one of their pages

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Something to point out is that AFAIK Sweet Baby also does writing and narrative stuff besides diversity consulting, or at least their website says so. So them having worked in a game can mean they did like, NPC barks or feedback on the overall story, unless they're specified as diversity consultants.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TuxedoOrca posted:

I can't get over this company's name being Sweet Baby Inc.

This is the evidence people are using to determine that this company is a cabal of pedophiles (read: lgbtq)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh cool. This conversation again.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sweet baby incs baadassss game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sweet baby inc is a very bad name for a company to be clear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

except if you make ribs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

homeless snail posted:

the dog was very problematic in the original version

Hastily reconceived when they lost the likeness rights to Triumph

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

for many years, the forces of sweet baby have been locked in conflict with the sourpatch kids

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Endorph posted:

also it is funny seeing some of the games they were involved on. like i get it from aaa devs but i promise your indie platformer about a cute dog does not need a consultant.

Ok I'm laughing now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Because "diversity consultant" isn't actually what the company does, it has a general outreach for a variety of things and party of their stated goal is outreach to minority game developers, as well as general development in terms of generic 'positive' stuff. (Empathy/Caring/etc.)

Which, looking at the game you linked's page:

"Breeze in the Clouds is crafted by a team of animation-loving, video-game-enamored artists, designers, and developers from around the world who share a passion for making entertainment that makes a positive impact on players everywhere—and maybe even teach them a little something along the way. (In bringing Breeze to life, the team worked with a meteorologist to bring elements of real-world weather into the gameplay). Breeze in the Clouds is one of the first games to receive funding from the Black Game Developer Fund."

It is literally exactly in their wheelhouse and stated goals without needing to be about assuring diversity in the actual game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This hunting down poo poo only 2 people tops have ever see and freaking out about it seems to constantly backfire. Wish people would stop.