Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Serie is the head manager/CEO but don’t think she went out into the world to make a big accomplishment to get the title modifier Great.

Even her position was passed down by Flamme and Flamme did all the legwork and construction so it’s her name in every history book

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

In the flashback during episode 18, Frieren was showing Himmel and co the holy emblem, and they had no idea what it was, and noted that it was already old and rusty.

gently caress.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
In guessing that since frieren was the apprentice of the mage who founded the (at the time) institution for human magic research, she had some part in it too and was considered one of the great mages of that era or the institution, and that's what her symbol signifies. It's long since fallen into obscurity, but it would make sense that some knowledge of it survived among the most devoted researchers of magic, especially if the new institution is headed by someone who lived through it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah you can kinda imagine that there is some continuity of apprentices and vague similarity the structure and history for 1000 years, even if the organization has split, merged, collapsed, and refounded a few times along the way. Like, we know what the early coat of arms of Salzburg looked like even if nobody's seen it outside of historical texts for 800 years.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The junk collector posted:

She could also be the last in the sense that she is the only one unaccounted for or she was the last to join their ranks or some similar meaning.

edit: grammar

Yeah, 'unaccounted for' seems the most likely to me. Per what she said to himmel when they met, frieren was completely AWOL for at least 500 years. More than enough time for her name to be forgotten even if at one time she was recognized as a 'great mage.'

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
drat Fern so strong she made Frieren activate magic: Jedi

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What kind of twisted, sadistic DM puts a mimic in the post-boss dungeon treasure room?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

What kind of twisted, sadistic DM puts a mimic in the post-boss dungeon treasure room?

I think there's a famous story where a DM killed a whole group of a multi year D&D game with a death portal after a dungeon boss.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Lot of great fight scenes.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Super Jay Mann posted:

Surely after the first mimic, the other chests with Big Mimic Energy must be a trick! Hiding a tome fit for a true mage!
Surely after the second mimic, the other chests with

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I find it hilarious that clone-Ubel targeted Land with Sorganeil AGAIN despite Denken being right there and surely a greater threat

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The payoff in the background for that one arrogant guy who scoffed at cooperating and went in alone was great. :allears:

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

This show makes really good use of first-person sequences.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sachant posted:

This show makes really good use of first-person sequences.

The direction of the entire series has been outstanding. I never really cared about "who" made anime (besides the cowboy bebop guy) when i was younger but now I really think I gotta follow some of my favs around? Like I definitely want to see what the director and the lead animators of Frieren do next. If its in a genre I care about even more!!

Like we're winding down and I can safely say this is one of my favorite animes of all time. Its an all timer!! thats crazy!! Its frieren and they made it into an all timer anime lol the manga is good, great even, but I don't know about all timer status and yet here we are!!

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah frieren got the biggest glowup in anime form that i think i've ever seen

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The sound and visual design for magic in the show is just off the charts.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah as much as I love the manga the anime magic battles are a huge loving step above and beyond.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The way they consistently take things that are only a couple pages (or just a couple panels) in the manga and turn them into absolutely amazing chunks of animation while remaining true to the feel of the manga never ceases to impress me.

This episode was (as expected) spectacular.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

sharkmafia posted:

yeah frieren got the biggest glowup in anime form that i think i've ever seen

Bocchi the Rock :v:

They have the same director...

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Bocchi the Rock sure got a big glowup too from the manga.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

Bocchi the Rock :v:

They have the same director...

Strong agree there. The Bocchi manga is fun, but both the art and presentation (4koma style) is so much more limited than what the anime does with the material.

Here's hoping we get second seasons of both shows. Two of my favorites in recent years.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Oh I mean hell that explains it, I loved Bocchi!

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

frieren is apparently a cultural phenomenon in japan right now, it's absolutely getting another season

bocchi idk but hopefully yeah

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
holy hell this episode. seeing all this from the manga get animated this episode was crazy.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I got the impression Bocchi also was a pretty big hit.

In both cases, they're good enough that I'm reading the manga while waiting for the more anime.

Frieren has been fun to experience initially via the anime and then follow up with the manga, but there's no way I'll be able to wait until a second season to keep following the story once this one wraps up in two weeks...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

frieren is apparently a cultural phenomenon in japan right now, it's absolutely getting another season

bocchi idk but hopefully yeah

The Bocchi cast is going on another tour because of how popular the first one was. That should give an idea of how popular it is in its own right.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

There's a Bocchi stage play

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Quinton posted:

I got the impression Bocchi also was a pretty big hit.

In both cases, they're good enough that I'm reading the manga while waiting for the more anime.

Frieren has been fun to experience initially via the anime and then follow up with the manga, but there's no way I'll be able to wait until a second season to keep following the story once this one wraps up in two weeks...

Bocchi was a pretty big hit, yeah, but not in the same way.

Bocchi's numbers were biggest with hardcore anime fans. It wasn't only watched by them (the streaming numbers by the end were respectable enough) but it didn't get any kind of numbers on TV, and didn't make the top five for viewing later. Basically, it was a huge hit among the sort of people who'd drop thousands of dollars on merch, but for more "normal" people it was just another seasonal. (Also, it apparently was seen as one of the most male-skewing shows of the year in terms of audience in Japan according to some recent polls, which is interesting given the original author and all.)

Frieren, meanwhile, is a mainstream hit. Sells less blu-rays, sure, but you can get random children to do their chores by asking them what the Hero Himmel would do.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Bocchi has multiple ongoing live band performances and gold records: very impressive.

Frieren has added new phrases into everyday Japanese life: legendary

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Bocchi's numbers were biggest with hardcore anime fans. It wasn't only watched by them (the streaming numbers by the end were respectable enough) but it didn't get any kind of numbers on TV, and didn't make the top five for viewing later. Basically, it was a huge hit among the sort of people who'd drop thousands of dollars on merch, but for more "normal" people it was just another seasonal. (Also, it apparently was seen as one of the most male-skewing shows of the year in terms of audience in Japan according to some recent polls, which is interesting given the original author and all.)

Huh... the hardcore fans thing is not terribly surprising, but the audience demographics are... it feels like a show that should have somewhat wider appeal.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
I love how all the mages have their own fighting styles with beams and elemental attacks and frieren v frieren is literally throwing black holes, worlds colliding, creation of the cosmos poo poo at each other it's so gorgeous and absurd in relation

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I loved the Ubel bits in this one... her absolute confidence that she'd be able to handle Sense's clone, the flashback to the exam involving her killing the proctor, and the discussion with Sense after the incident where she tells a little story about watching her older sister sew that pretty much reads as a death threat. Her atypical outlook and magic-by-empathy approach fits with the impression she consistently gives of someone quite dangerous and unpredictable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PlaneGuy posted:

I love how all the mages have their own fighting styles with beams and elemental attacks and frieren v frieren is literally throwing black holes, worlds colliding, creation of the cosmos poo poo at each other it's so gorgeous and absurd in relation

And all of it comes after her using nothing but basic offense and defense magic for 25 episodes beforehand. Every time you think you've got a grasp on just how truly powerful Frieren's magic is, it turns out no actually it's even more powerful than that.

That said, what I like about the magic system of this series best is that no matter how powerful the magic, it has some manner of weakness or exploit and you might just end up running into somebody who's otherwise way weaker than you but happens to match up well or has more ideal conditions than you and so you're hosed. Frieren is throwing around super novas and force pushes that are so old it's not even being detected as being magic by other mages but even she's convinced she'd get her rear end kicked by Kanne if they happened to fight in the rain.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Taima posted:

I love how Ubel was simultaneously introduced as a potentially evil character but you also immediately receive all of the tools to discern that she is actually not, even in the first scene in which she is introduced.

Her subsequent actions peel back the onion of her personality for people paying less attention, while giving additional context so the people who got it immediately get to confirm their initial suspicions. In the end, everyone wins.

It offers big payback to people paying attention, while dragging everyone else along too. It's a fun way to tell a story. Frieren is a great show.

That's why, pretty much right away, it's obvious that her "murder" of that mage administering the test is just a red herring. I haven't read the manga but everything we've learned about this character from moment one is that she would never do that unless she was appropriately provoked in some way.

I love how this show constantly rewards careful examination.

You were saying?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It appears to be manslaughter rather than outright murder it seems at least given she said she cut too deeply. Still seems to be a horrible person.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ubel owns

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems like Ubel enjoys violence and she may even be some kind of sociopath but I think we can take the events of the First-Class Mage Exam Arc as conclusively demonstrating that even she won't kill another human for no reason.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think the character whose name literally means "Evil" in a show where every single other character has an extremely descriptive name might not be a very good person.

As for the other events of the episode I was kind of hoping to see Fern's shadow tearing it up, but on the other hand we did see the real Fern absolutely tear into Shadow Frieren with an all-out attack when the opportunity to do so finally arose. And even that wasn't quite enough to finish Shadow Frieren off.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Quinton posted:

I loved the Ubel bits in this one... her absolute confidence that she'd be able to handle Sense's clone, the flashback to the exam involving her killing the proctor, and the discussion with Sense after the incident where she tells a little story about watching her older sister sew that pretty much reads as a death threat. Her atypical outlook and magic-by-empathy approach fits with the impression she consistently gives of someone quite dangerous and unpredictable.

I also liked the little "Oops" look she gave on realizing she killed the previous proctor. Like "I did not intend to commit a murder, but... eh. Happens."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lol that it turns out Ubels superpower is that she’s too dumb to know something isn’t possible.

Also fun connection, both proctors for the test so far purposefully made “luck” part of their test. Frieren told Serie they only beat the Demon King because they got lucky.