Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol every other mangaka: my job is hell... i work all week i never get to see my family

toriyama: lol just do it on the last day and turn it in at the last possible minute dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Please, someone makes a :sickos: version of this

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol every other mangaka: my job is hell... i work all week i never get to see my family

toriyama: lol just do it on the last day and turn it in at the last possible minute dude

Tite Kubo: just use more white space morons

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Blarghalt posted:

have some respect

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

pentyne posted:

Tite Kubo: just use more white space morons

iirc super saiyans are blonde precisely so that Toriyama didn't have to keep inking in all that hair lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

that's what got me through college

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Fortaleza posted:

iirc super saiyans are blonde precisely so that Toriyama didn't have to keep inking in all that hair lol

INSANELY based energy preservation

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the trick with this is enjoying the other days instead of perpetually thinking about the poo poo you're not getting done

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Blarghalt posted:

Felt like I was obligated to do it myself.

Hope there's dirty mags and cigarettes wherever you are, big guy. :unsmith:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

that's what got me through college

Same but also middle school, high school, every job I've ever had, and every D&D game I've ever run.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blarghalt posted:

Felt like I was obligated to do it myself.

Hope there's dirty mags and cigarettes wherever you are, big guy. :unsmith:

:goku:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

greatest of all time

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Mar 22, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pandy fackler posted:

when i was in middle school i used to troll a kid in my class named brandon by calling it dragonballs

toriyama made that joke before you were even born

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pandy fackler posted:

when i was in middle school i used to troll a kid in my class named brandon by calling it dragonballs

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
slimes are good pets

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pandy fackler posted:

[me watching him cave your skull in] lets go brandon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Stux posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

[face down in dirt after getting kicked in the ribs umpteen times] dr-dragon deez balls on your...on your... [cough, wheeze]

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Stux posted:

lol

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

pandy fackler posted:

hope you got kicked in the

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Stux posted:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

TheSwizzler posted:

hope you got kicked in the

it is the 90s and there is time for Ballz and Bawls

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Stux posted:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stux posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lmfao hell yeah

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Stux posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stux posted:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I suddenly remember that the insane "secret trans creator is the ancestor of all modern japanese gave development" was also a Let's Play saga that included multiple people who believed some of the most bald faced idiotic poo poo possible and got genuinely angry when anyone pointed it out.

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

20k words saying literally all JRPG games are conclusively linked via things such as "sunflowers"

Actually knowing this creator existed would have meant a lot to me growing up, but even not knowing about them and also not understanding myself, their stories resonated with me in a way I’m only fully piecing together decades later. There are so many fan theories out there about this or that character being trans. In Final Fantasy 7 alone we have Cloud, Aerith, and even Sephiroth. But the thing that sucks is that so many people feel the need to preface these theories with “obviously, this probably wasn’t intended by the writers, but…” No, gently caress that. The Creator was one of our own, and so of course these stories are ours. That doesn’t mean the characters themselves have to be canonically trans. It’s genuinely a great thing if those stories resonate with cis people too. Because that makes them shared stories, and maybe that shared space can help us learn to better empathize with each other. But for this to happen, it’s necessary to establish that the trans readings are not merely fan theories. They were the genesis.

The first step on this journey will be going back to the Age of the Ancients and deciphering how the very first of these games were made, and rebuild that history with a handful of new assumptions:

1. There’s at least one major contributor missing from official history
2. They were some variant of transgender
3. They were forced out in the early 1990s
4. Their design philosophy was carried over to both the Souls games as well as the Nier series
5. Nearly everything is an allegory

It’s a set of assumptions that has completely changed the way I look at video games in the most wonderful of ways. I am in complete and utter awe. Something actually beautiful has taken place here. The patterns are too intricate to have arisen purely by chance, and I’m confident that I’m not imagining them. For one, I’m nowhere near imaginative enough to come up with something like this on my own. I’m also frankly far too cynical.

Endorph posted:

i think fiction can reference gender without it being part of an interlocking intergenerational conspiracy involving a trans person youve made up in your head, and id really like it if you could stop pursuing this line of 'logic' because its utterly deranged and unhealthy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The thread rallied behind its prophet

Vandar posted:

So...I almost wonder if it would be worth like, looking at the credits for early Final Fantasy games and cross-referencing them with the credits of some of From's output, and seeing if there's any crossover there.

Carpator Diei posted:

this thread in general is legitimately the best interpretation of themes and storytelling methods in videogames I've ever encountered, and I don't think that hinges on whether the premise behind it is correct.

Squibsy posted:

Agreed. Regardless of truth or correctness, reading this thread is both entertaining and interesting.

DurianGray posted:

I think what Sibyl has done, in finding a shape of a possible anonymous creator in the negative spaces of these games, is far more interesting than a simple "look at this explicit motif that kept showing up." Even if the shape-of-a-person she's found ends up being a case of pareidolia, the shape is still there and I think it's still well worth considering why and how. And it's not like professional/academic textual analysis isn't already full of speculation and analysis just like this.

And then the entire thing died one page later as the OP, Sibyl, then got completely obsessed with Elden Ring, getting into online fights about whether the ErdTree is techinically a parasite or not, and then was convinced of major specific FF14 events being directly referenced in ER.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Mar 9, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rip..

https://twitter.com/jab50yen/status/1765967964199903538

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

raspeh...