Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I dunno. Thats just people. Not even specifically gamers. People are dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I just got 95 medals delivered in two notices one after the other for 'major orders'

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I dunno. Thats just people. Not even specifically gamers. People are dicks

Sure I get that. I am reminded daily of that these days. I guess it's just the oddity of not just how mad people are but also in combination with what they're mad about.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The exo is rad, but what it really needs is a self-destruct button for when you've burned through all the ammo

e] eh, it's a fair complaint but it's also funny to laugh at

Titanfall/helldivers crossover when

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kawabata posted:

may I also remind you that the servers haven't been working correctly for the entire loving day

wait

game is popular guys, its alright!

they were actually working great for me all day UTC 0 until the late evening :)

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I play using a PS5 controller and it gives you a very obvious vibration before the railgun would otherwise pop in your hands, so I keep forgetting that's not a thing for keyboard players.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Overlord K posted:

I play using a PS5 controller and it gives you a very obvious vibration before the railgun would otherwise pop in your hands, so I keep forgetting that's not a thing for keyboard players.

Gotta get that rumble mouse

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I dunno, this game's community seems unusually lovely. Things have gotten nerfed in DRG from time to time and maybe I wasn't looking in the worst places but I didn't see responses other than "seems reasonable". Also in over 1000 hours playing it, I never saw people getting kicked for not playing in the exact correct way the host wanted to play.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Play posted:

I just got 95 medals delivered in two notices one after the other for 'major orders'

I just logged in for the first time today, and I'm still sitting at my 38 medals I had last night. Hope I don't miss out on any.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Ravendas posted:

I just logged in for the first time today, and I'm still sitting at my 38 medals I had last night. Hope I don't miss out on any.

I got mine randomly after completing other, unrelated missions today. Just randomly came up after dismissing the after mission stats.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

besides probably being considered bad, whats the deal with the DIligence Counter Sniper? why do i want that over the other one theoretically

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Triarii posted:

I dunno, this game's community seems unusually lovely. Things have gotten nerfed in DRG from time to time and maybe I wasn't looking in the worst places but I didn't see responses other than "seems reasonable". Also in over 1000 hours playing it, I never saw people getting kicked for not playing in the exact correct way the host wanted to play.

Was DRG ever close to being as popular as this game? I mean, more players will also mean theres more visible assholes that you may run in to

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Was DRG ever close to being as popular as this game? I mean, more players will also mean theres more visible assholes that you may run in to

DRG is a very good game but it's not even close in terms of popularity.

As for HD2, the Slugger ammo buff has been terrific. I wasn't sure about using it versus bugs at first, but I got into a diff 7 game that spammed nursing spewers at us and the Slugger's stun was EXTREMELY clutch there. Just shoot em in the face and they can't spit, keep shooting then they die! Probably wouldn't have worked as well if the rest of my team wasn't reliable at clearing, but I still had the secondary SMG and flamethrower to back me up when I needed it.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 9, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Worf posted:

besides probably being considered bad, whats the deal with the DIligence Counter Sniper? why do i want that over the other one theoretically

Penetration

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Nope. DRG’s all time high was a bit over 46k. It also had many intentional and thoughtful design considerations out into it with the intention of fostering a friendly and cooperative community, while Helldivers, while awesome, cannot do many of those without conflict with its aesthetic.

But yeah the more people you have the more assholes you have being loud and encouraging each other to greater heights of assholery.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Triarii posted:

I've been trying to figure it out and my best guess is there is so much interest in the game it's drawn in a shitload of toxic people from multiple other games coming in for a big party.

I think we are getting the worst shitheads from Warframe, Destiny 2, Escape from Tarkov and Fortnite at least. Their games were stale enough they'll put in time elsewhere but they still want to play the same game for eternity. So we need power creep guns like Warframe or meta builds like Destiny.

I must only be tested by skill and not random environmental factors in honourable elite gunkata and refuse to use the 30 kinds of other tactics and items. Kill/Death ratio matters so I can never die and think the difficulty is the problem if I have difficulty.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i havent really encountered too many dicks at all in game tbh

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Worf posted:

In theory, higher damage and better penetration.

In practice, the damage boost is negligible and the penetration isn't better enough to count in most cases, and in exchange you lose a few rounds per magazine over the standard Diligence which already feels like it's reloading a lot, and it also feels like it has worse handling (how long it takes the "you're gonna shoot here" circle to match up with your reticle) than the autocannon. I do like the original Diligence on bot missions on occasion.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

chilling with newbie pubbies is awesome as they WHOAAAA through the first bites of bugs and bots

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

no poo poo, how many nades does this take?

i magazine full or so. I just kept shooting until it dropped. Killed all the bots on it first, then it just fell down

edit: man I'm too old and stupid to be able to figure out how to post images on this freaking website nowadays

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Mother fuckers. Normalize your vectors!!

The mech goes faster if you walk diagonally.

E: Except if you're using controller. M/KB Supremacy.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 9, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Speedrun when

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mech controls really nicely. The walk and pivot is great.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I don't know how much population size alone explains the toxicity - the past couple of Monster Hunter games got up to a similar size and their communities seemed generally more wholesome and supportive (though, again, I'm not really hanging out on these games' subreddits, just hearing about them second hand). There are definitely design decisions in HD2 that create more friction between players, and combined with everything being kind of broken and buggy, I think there are just a lot of bad vibes and frustration being generated.

I'm bummed when people say "that's just how it is, all game communities are garbage and nothing can be done about it". It can be better :(

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

2 people in my game just crashed to desktop while trying to use the arc thrower during extraction lol

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Everyone I've interacted with in the game has been fine and fun. It just sounds like social media is full of whinging outrage farmers like usual to me.

But also this forum is as close to social media as I get these days. Stuffs garbage.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oh, that is why arc mains beeline for chargers. If you see an arc thrower going for that charger, get out of there, you're not helping by being nearby or drawing aggro (assuming they are competent).

Arc thrower is actually insane against bugs. Only brood commanders survive long enough to alert, so they get the slugger from a distance, then it's arcing time. I saw a leak that there is upcoming armours with 95% resist to arc thrower damage, as well as a one shot grenade launcher pistol with ~8 rounds total for hives. :getin:

e: it's surprisingly good against bots too, it usually clears up the chaff before they can alert, about the only common enemy it sucks against is the strider.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 9, 2024

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

Speedrun when

Speederbike when

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

BastardySkull posted:

Speederbike when

we're so close

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

There's also a pretty wide variance in what people consider "fun" about this game, I've found. I was playing with a friend + 2 pubbies, and my friend thought it would be funny to kill one of them with a grenade as we were extracting. The pubby did not think this was funny at all, and spent a minute getting big mad in chat before quitting out.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Q-sixtysix posted:

i magazine full or so. I just kept shooting until it dropped. Killed all the bots on it first, then it just fell down

edit: man I'm too old and stupid to be able to figure out how to post images on this freaking website nowadays

That's just imgur making it hard to get a link to an actual image because they want you to load their webpage so they can include some ads, usually opening the image in a new tab works for me

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Triarii posted:

There's also a pretty wide variance in what people consider "fun" about this game, I've found. I was playing with a friend + 2 pubbies, and my friend thought it would be funny to kill one of them with a grenade as we were extracting. The pubby did not think this was funny at all, and spent a minute getting big mad in chat before quitting out.

Pubbie was more in the right than your friend was.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Triarii posted:

You can't just ignore the context of the nerfs. Going into the game's first real balance patch the community was by and large expecting buffs over nerfs because like a good 75% or so of the equipment in the game felt like a liability to bring on higher difficulties. Instead the patch mainly seemed to aim at weakening tools players had come to rely on to deal with frustrating elements of the game (railgun for charger hordes and shield pack for annoying chain cc deaths). Then when people were questioning the devs as to what their thinking was behind the changes, they're greeted with the guy that was posting on reddit basically saying if you used that equipment you were relying on a crutch and you're bad at the game. That was kind of the spark that lit the fire. The whole thing just wasn't handled well, regardless of how warranted the changes were (and I do think they were mostly fair changes, though I disagree with cutting the amount of railgun shots to break armour and would have preferred if they nerfed it in another way).

I don't think any nerfs to weapons in DRG have ever really taken place under similar circumstances. Plus I'm sure they built up plenty of goodwill before making any significant changes, while this was like I said the first real balance patch for Helldivers 2.

e; Also I genuinely think the patch would have been a lot better received if they'd actually bothered to list all the buffs they actually made in the patch notes. For whatever reason they only listed like 3 or 4 buffs in the notes while they actually buffed like 10+ things.

Bland fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 9, 2024

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It's this imo, the unfortunate but inevitable side-effect of the game blowing up the way it has is that it attracts all kind of shitheads that would've ignored it otherwise.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Triarii posted:

i remember being 12 once too

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
They nerfed the damage of one gun lmao the reaction has been and continues to be deranged

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Bland posted:

a good 75% or so of the equipment in the game felt like a liability to bring on higher difficulties.

This is just straight up not true though.

e] It literally is a skill issue, people getting bigly mad because they are trying to play at difficulties they can't handle.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 9, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I got into the game with like three retries, and in-game had no issues at all. Hopefully that's a good sign. I also got some old major order medals delivered and was eventually able to purchase the mech strat.

The exo is rad, but what it really needs is a self-destruct button for when you've burned through all the ammo

e] eh, it's a fair complaint but it's also funny to laugh at

Just keep one rocket in reserve and shoot it against a rock

Or did you mean without dying? Doesn't seem very helldiver of you

Triarii posted:

I wouldn't really enjoy getting purposefully killed. Accidentally is one hundred percent fair game but it's not cool to just shoot your teammates on purpose.

magiccarpet posted:

Mech controls really nicely. The walk and pivot is great.

Yeah I was worried about how that would work but they are pretty maneuverable and can climb pretty steep surfaces. So far I've just been calling them down on extraction and they help a lot, although not being able to throw strats does hurt a bit, I just conserve my ammo until it's gone then duck out and start launching orbitals and eagles. Still, once they aren't free anymore I cannot see myself using them. Single use, ammo runs out pretty fast, yeah they can kill a lot of enemies but a whole strat slot is a hard sell for me.

In that same slot I could have eagle airstrike which will kill over a hundred enemies in the course of a game, or orbital laser which could kill three bile titans/tanks.

Worf posted:

You don't. But theoretically, because it has a longer zoom in first person, and better damage/pen.

Play fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 9, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i only do lvl 7s but i mostly stopped even taking in weapons and just roll airstrikes and scavenge

so i agree

defender/senator has worked fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

OK. I disagree.