Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nine-gear crow posted:

They wrote themselves into a corner regarding the final five Cylons who hadn't been revealed yet, thrusting the show into a situation where they either needed to suddenly reveal them all at once or come up with a cleaver explanation for why a Cylon government of "Twelve Models" only has seven of them showing up to work every day. They picked Option 2 and loving bellyflopped it so hard it brought the rest of the show down with it.

The All Along The Watchtower reveal scene was amazing. Not necessarily good, but definitely amazing.

The whole Pegasus arc was amazing and good. "Bill, is that you?" still makes me tear up a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BSG will hold a place for me because it was one of the last shows I got to livewatch/post with TVIV start to finish before streaming mostly killed that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think I've said it before: the BSG board game is far superior to the series (which is also good but a bit too 'of its era').

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lee Adama was a piece of poo poo from start to finish and he was ultimately responsible for the final destruction of his civilization. The Mutiny should have been justified as a labor uprising after adama threatened to airlock the union leader's wife.

Being somebody who has always really enjoyed the connectivity of the Star Trek universe, continuity is a death trap being employed by soulless executives to sell your childhood back to you because they stole the future

It wouldn't matter when and where the show is set. It doesn't matter if you hire back Mike Okuda or whoever if it's written and produced by hack fail kids that clearly missed the point of the best episodes

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think I've said it before: the BSG board game is far superior to the series (which is also good but a bit too 'of its era').

The role-dependent rules makes it tough to introduce new players to the game. Anyone reaching for the rulebook outs themselves.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

thotsky posted:

The role-dependent rules makes it tough to introduce new players to the game. Anyone reaching for the rulebook outs themselves.

Very true, and although it's definitely not the most complex game my circle of friends has played, there's an intimidating list of rules and stuff to watch for when you're a new player. It'd also make for an exceptionally long game if you played all the variants: Pegasus, Ionian Nebula, New Cap and Daybreak in a single session.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This collection is completely insane. There is just so much poo poo of all kinds of toys, memorabilia, models, props, etc.

https://twitter.com/ButtslammerBob/status/1766221474837442580?s=20

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tighclops posted:

continuity is a death trap being employed by soulless executives to sell your childhood back to you because they stole the future

gently caress, that's a good quote.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

This collection is completely insane. There is just so much poo poo of all kinds of toys, memorabilia, models, props, etc.

Honestly the thing I see here is someone’s pride and joy. There’s an incredible amount of work put into organizing, staging, etc. it’s overwhelming but it’s obviously a labour of love, if that makes sense.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

When are you folks gonna be honest with yourselves and admit straight-up that you just want DS9-2?
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Deep_Space_7?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...okay but what about that premise specifically needs to be immediately post-DS9?

The nuts and bolts of the show. Star Trek ran into a "you have to make the technology fantastical, but at this point they're limitless gods" problem when they started to have to ramp up the capabilities as they stretched the timeline.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

gently caress, that's a good quote.

Thanks. Keep in mind that's coming from somebody with shelves and shelves of loving Transformers figures, none of us is immune.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arivia posted:

Honestly the thing I see here is someone’s pride and joy. There’s an incredible amount of work put into organizing, staging, etc. it’s overwhelming but it’s obviously a labour of love, if that makes sense.

I completely agree- and there are some wild things that I never knew existed on that person's collection, like the different Star Trek character thimbles!

Also I had forgotten how awful the JJ Trek phasers looked.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Very true, and although it's definitely not the most complex game my circle of friends has played, there's an intimidating list of rules and stuff to watch for when you're a new player. It'd also make for an exceptionally long game if you played all the variants: Pegasus, Ionian Nebula, New Cap and Daybreak in a single session.

But why would anyone ever play New Cap or especially Ionian Nebula? The Cylon Fleet Board was the only good thing to come out of Exodus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

The sad reminder that you can't take it with you when you go. I often think about what's gonna happen to all of my stuff, not just my merge collection of a few Eaglemoss models, but ALL of my stuff in general when I die because I'm a morbid son of a bitch. Is the entirety of my life going to get tossed in a trash bin? It probably will.

Anyway

Tighclops posted:

Thanks. Keep in mind that's coming from somebody with shelves and shelves of loving Transformers figures, none of us is immune.

Understanding our biases and weaknesses is the key to living a full and knowledgeable life. And you're spot on about what a loving poison continuity and nostalgia are.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

nine-gear crow posted:

The sad reminder that you can't take it with you when you go. I often think about what's gonna happen to all of my stuff, not just my merge collection of a few Eaglemoss models, but ALL of my stuff in general when I die because I'm a morbid son of a bitch. Is the entirety of my life going to get tossed in a trash bin? It probably will.

Buddy, your items are not your life.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hopefully your loved ones will take what they want as reminders of your shared life and also not have too difficult a time getting rid of all the stuff they don't want

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"Someday son, all of these board games will be yours to never play."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m so glad he’s still doing these. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU0hcziV52g

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Taear posted:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Taear posted:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Admiralty Flag posted:

But why would anyone ever play New Cap or especially Ionian Nebula? The Cylon Fleet Board was the only good thing to come out of Exodus.

My friends and I never do. We play a hybrid (no pun intended) game with Pegasus + Cylon Fleet Board + C.A.G and drop the Ionian and New Cap stuff.

e: Yes, we also do the 8+1 jumps to Kobol.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 9, 2024

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
BSG board game: Pegasus + Cylon Fleet + + CAG + most of Daybreak (improved Cylon Leader loyalty cards, Mutiny cards, etc.) + just go to Kobol. Plays in ~2 hours if everyone knows the rules and poo poo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like maybe the way DS9 ended kinda made it awkward for continuing on the galactic politics narratives that had driven all of DS9 and a large part of TNG.
  • Ferengi have been put on the path to do a total about-face, which'd make later appearances at least complicated to work out.
  • Cardassians have been both put on the path to change wildly and may have been nearly eliminated as a major power after driving most of DS9
  • Bajor has been successfully rebuilt and no longer has much interesting going on (although to be honest DS9 nearly totally dropped Bajor halfway through as well)
  • Klingons have a much more friendly chancellor installed, so no awkward dealing with Galrond anymore
  • The Dominion is awkward to deal with, they have retreated from the Alpha Quadrant, so probably not much of a factor anymore.
The two main untouched powers are the Romulans, who JJ Abrams killed off for shock value, and then the Borg, who the TNG movies and Voyager messed around a bunch with. Otherwise, galactic politics need to be rebuilt from scratch and new factions really need to be introduced to keep things spinning (which is doable but awkward).

Weirdly I think the prequels have also poisoned the ground for future big timeskips like TNG did, since now there's an upper limit on how far forward they can jump unless they want to void the future (also they should totally void the future).

socialsecurity posted:

BSG will hold a place for me because it was one of the last shows I got to livewatch/post with TVIV start to finish before streaming mostly killed that.

God yeah. These days it's hard to keep up even watching the episodes of shows as they come out, because half the time there's big dumps of a bunch of episodes at once and I don't got time for that and then I fall behind and fall further and further behind.

BSG was alright but it had one of those endings that poisoned the well enough that people didn't want to talk about it ever again so all its popularity just dissolved. It had an influential board game that I didn't find very fun, but a lot of other games have followed its model and done better. I guess it's neat in concept to hop out and go shooting Cylons.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

SlothfulCobra posted:

no awkward dealing with Galrond anymore

Well now somebody needs to Photoshop Hugo Weaving in Klingon makeup

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SlothfulCobra posted:

God yeah. These days it's hard to keep up even watching the episodes of shows as they come out, because half the time there's big dumps of a bunch of episodes at once and I don't got time for that and then I fall behind and fall further and further behind.

There's a lot of galaxy.
What's to the east of the romulans and etc? Plenty of space

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I wouldn't actually want a series that takes place right after DS9, I want the TNG treatment where it's so far in the future that it's mostly all new stuff and we only occasionally hear an update on how things progressed after that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Message in the Bottle: The least annoying Andy Dick has ever been. I was worried, but the character turned out alright. I love it when holograms fight, they have a very interesting report. It's been so long in the Star Trek universe that Romulans were doing anything. Last I heard from in DS9ville is that they were still mad because the Federation didn't want to make an alliance with them to fight the Dominion or something. On that note, EMH-2 having to mention the Dominion War to the Doctor was a good reminder that while Voyager is out there trying to get home, the Federation has their hands full with the Dominion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm sooooooooo loving tired of people blaming continuity as to why we can't keep moving forward. Star Trek isn't even that heavy in continuity for the setting. It is for certain characters, but that's why we move on to new characters and settings.

Prequels often compound continuity issues and make things more inaccessible to new viewers.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

bull3964 posted:

I'm sooooooooo loving tired of people blaming continuity as to why we can't keep moving forward. Star Trek isn't even that heavy in continuity for the setting. It is for certain characters, but that's why we move on to new characters and settings.

Prequels often compound continuity issues and make things more inaccessible to new viewers.

Keep seeing people coming up with all these settings scenarios for plots, but that's not the issue, it just needs good writing. Like the idea that the alpha quadrant is either completely mined of story or too complex to ever touch again that they have to go to a whole new area is so silly.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Boxturret posted:

Keep seeing people coming up with all these settings scenarios for plots, but that's not the issue, it just needs good writing. Like the idea that the alpha quadrant is either completely mined of story or too complex to ever touch again that they have to go to a whole new area is so silly.

Yeah the alpha quadrant is not real there's plenty of random strange new worlds to meet and have a random morality tale about.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Space is vast. The idea that every possible idea for the Alpha Quadrant has been used up sounds to me like making excuses.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Yep. They don't want to move on because they still think of TNG as the ending of the series and everything after as either failures or victory laps.

Not one single thing in Discovery necessitated it being a prequel, but they managed to gently caress up both the past *and* the entire future of the Federation.

Think of how much awesome poo poo about the alpha quadrant we never would've gotten to explore if the TNG writers thought it had been mined of all potential. poo poo, Voyager did exactly the thing everybody's saying the franchise needs to do, and they hosed up every new thing so badly they just made The Borg the big thing again.

Invent new planets, people, and factions. It's not that hard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

You can absolutely have a mission of the week show post TNG with a new crew. Maybe you background some ongoing concern (but please please please keep the stakes low).

TNG writers were just burned out and the characters evolved as much as they were going to without dramatically changing up the structure. So you move on.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bull3964 posted:

You can absolutely have a mission of the week show post TNG with a new crew. Maybe you background some ongoing concern (but please please please keep the stakes low).

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The Ent-D is big enough by itself that with good writing you could do seven seasons set entirely onboard without more than a passing mention of the bridge crew

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TNG itself was fairly light on actual exploring. A good chunk of the episodes, if not the majority, were meeting some known-to-the-Feds race to help them fix their atmospheric scrubber or install a new moon dongle or whatever, then the plot was all character-driven stuff that might not have even related to that.

The biggest issue is the Simpsons Problem, where there have been so many real-world stories told that it's hard to come up with something entirely original. But at this point who cares, a lot of Strange New Worlds episodes are reminiscent of past plots but it's been long enough, and is involving new characters so it doesn't follow the same story beats. Voyager and Enterprise suffered from being less than a decade after TNG, which made the rehashes a lot more noticeable, and having a severe lack of interesting characters, which was purely a creators/writers problem.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The SNW ripoff episodes did bother me, but the shenanigans episodes mostly touched on stuff with a different tone than previous treks, which was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Knormal posted:

TNG itself was fairly light on actual exploring. A good chunk of the episodes, if not the majority, were meeting some known-to-the-Feds race to help them fix their atmospheric scrubber or install a new moon dongle or whatever, then the plot was all character-driven stuff that might not have even related to that.

The biggest issue is the Simpsons Problem, where there have been so many real-world stories told that it's hard to come up with something entirely original. But at this point who cares, a lot of Strange New Worlds episodes are reminiscent of past plots but it's been long enough, and is involving new characters so it doesn't follow the same story beats. Voyager and Enterprise suffered from being less than a decade after TNG, which made the rehashes a lot more noticeable, and having a severe lack of interesting characters, which was purely a creators/writers problem.

SNW is also dipping into New Wave (60s and 70s) science fiction literature, which would be contemporary with TOS era writing. Even if those are stories that weren't already done in prior Trek series, they're of an era and have a lot of the feel of the old stories, which is probably part of the reason why, even if they don't get the execution completely correct, those episodes tend to feel 'correct' for the kind of Trek SNW is emulating.