Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I don't know what show we're talking about. Knowing what happens this week I'm very excited to watch the new ep of Dungeon Meshi though. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what happened here

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
bad boring posts which don't need to be talked about anymore

on topic:

haypliss posted:

I don't know what show we're talking about. Knowing what happens this week I'm very excited to watch the new ep of Dungeon Meshi though. :getin:

big big same

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

...anyways, I really enjoyed the Frog Mischief in this weeks episode. Reading the manga I had always kinda assumed they were basic green frogs but them being bright tropical frogs is real neat

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

slams fists on table FROG SUITS FROG SUITS FROG SUITS FROG SUITS

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

duz posted:

slams fists on table FROG SUITS FROG SUITS FROG SUITS FROG SUITS

FROG SUITS FROG SUITS

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
his is what true fashion looks like

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chilchuck in his little bag is my entire world

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

FROG SUITS FROG SUITS

Chilchuck just stuffed into a potato sack with a face hole cut in it lmao

I'm slightly saddened that they managed to get them off and they won't actually be fighting the dragon in their frog suits, but I can respect that this is probably gonna be one of those "pivotal dramatic moments" in the plot that demands at least a little seriousness

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What are you talking about

That’s clearly a sausage

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
more of a chorizo imo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Senshi looks like he hopped put of Super Mario 3

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Asterite34 posted:

I'm slightly saddened that they managed to get them off and they won't actually be fighting the dragon in their frog suits

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Actually that looks like the dragon literally bonked its head there."

"Oooooh, that makes sense."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Been having a real bad day and frog suits was definitely what I needed right now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

Been having a real bad day and frog suits was definitely what I needed right now.

I guffawed loudly, it was a great reveal :v:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Was not prepared for the power of those frogs (intact). Thank you Trigger :pusheen:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
This show's only getting better, man. It's doing such a good job paying off character moments and setting up questions for future arcs.

-FROG SUITS FROG SUITS

-I like that we learn that Marcille's staff also has a name during the frog fight.

-Marcille getting misty-eyed about the thought of not getting to eat Senshi's cooking :swoon:

-Chilchuck's spiny exterior softening as he looks for a way to contribute against the dragon

-Senshi's being kinda shady about some of his gear, huh? That is a really nice knife he's got.

-Laios making a real effort to be the inspiring party leader, creating a horribly awkward moment where everyone has to swallow their bite of food too fast

-Laios ACTUALLY being the inspiring party leader re: hand on Marcille's shoulder when the dragon shows up a few minutes later

-The delivery on Chilchuck's "YOU'RE SO CRINGE." might be my favorite line read in the series so far. Literally just making that line "you're so cringe" is a laugh-out-loud localization choice too.

-Speaking of Chilchuck, love the implication during the dinner scene that he might be a bit of a drunk

-I liked the cutaway section where we see some outside dungeon politicking feat. Peepaw Tansu. This has gotta be the main concern of the second cour, huh?

-Preeeetty sure I've seen fanart of those green cloaks we see on the elves during that section too.

This is the first time in ten episodes we've gotten a real shonen-battle-series-style action cliffhanger, isn't it? Looking forward to seeing more of the dragon next week. I really hope if they decide to render it fully CG it doesn't stick out too bad, but the midseason climax I guess will probably have a lot of budget behind it, so I'm sure it'll be cool.

Sade fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 8, 2024

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Have they said how many episodes this season is going to be?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

2 Cours, so 24 I think? I can never remember how many episodes in a cour

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
My understanding is a cour is either 12 or 13 depending on the production. If I had to guess (not having read the manga or done research about this production schedule) I would say probably the bulk of the dragon fight will be next episode with #12 saved for the end of the fight + wrap-up + setup for the second half.

I know sometimes these serial productions take a break between cours too. Any word about anything like that?

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
https://twitter.com/dun_meshi_anime/status/1765739335318700149

looks like it's a 13 episode cour! and like the first 3 eps, 11-13 are getting a limited theatrical screening in japan

ghost sex fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 8, 2024

Amumin
Dec 21, 2018

Blu-rays have 24 episodes listed afaik.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
oh! huh, then they're screening the first episode of the next cour alongside the finale

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The 'respawn' aspect of the dungeon could be terribly abused. We already know that there is some kind of institutionalized service that collects and stores the bodies of adventurers killed in the dungeon. That can't be a free service. Do the adventurers buy AAA collection and resurrection insurance before delving? Are these crews basically taking corpses hostage until the nearest of kin can pay a fee? What if no one can pay the fee or the corpse was a loner? Can you resurrect a stranger and then claim some kind of peerage or indenture over them until they repay the cost?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the resurrection spell cover the entire island or just the dungeon? Wouldn't it make more sense to store bodies on the dungeon itself for readily available resurrection rather than hauling them up to the temple on the surface?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Arc Hammer posted:

Does the resurrection spell cover the entire island or just the dungeon? Wouldn't it make more sense to store bodies on the dungeon itself for readily available resurrection rather than hauling them up to the temple on the surface?

They bring this up later but its a good bit so i wont spoil it

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I do find it interesting that there seems to an expected code of honor when stumbling upon the bodies of other adventurers. The newbie group seemed particularly incensed when they thought their treasure had been stolen by whoever positioned their bodies.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Marsupial Ape posted:

I do find it interesting that there seems to an expected code of honor when stumbling upon the bodies of other adventurers. The newbie group seemed particularly incensed when they thought their treasure had been stolen by whoever positioned their bodies.

Given the talk about reputation amongst adventurers with Namari the non-criminal ones probably abide by common etiquette since the island is not that big and word would get around. The treasure a corpse had would be used to pay for resurrection fees and corpse retrieval and stuff so robbing a body could be seen as pretty rude and potentially threatening. The danger we've seen present in the dungeon likely engenders a spirit of cooperation because you don't wanna make a world where if you died then someone stole your loot you'd be hosed.

The bandits and poo poo obviously do not care.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Jerkface posted:

Given the talk about reputation amongst adventurers with Namari the non-criminal ones probably abide by common etiquette since the island is not that big and word would get around. The treasure a corpse had would be used to pay for resurrection fees and corpse retrieval and stuff so robbing a body could be seen as pretty rude and potentially threatening. The danger we've seen present in the dungeon likely engenders a spirit of cooperation because you don't wanna make a world where if you died then someone stole your loot you'd be hosed.

The bandits and poo poo obviously do not care.

Exactly. The original writer does a fantastic job of subtle show don’t tell story telling.

Now that I think about it, The Revenant was basically a parable about not loving with a man’s respawn point.

Edit: also, ie dogs in the dungeon, why aren't there more stories with adventurer's using dogs? A couple big, well trained mastiffs or hounds would be incredibly useful in a dungeon delve. Hell, why couldn't you train a trap or ambush monster sniffing dog? Chilchuck could be mostly replaced with a terrier of some sort.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 8, 2024

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

if you rewatch that section, the implication seems to be that the temple has an entrance to the dungeon:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Marsupial Ape posted:

Exactly. The original writer does a fantastic job of subtle show don’t tell story telling.

Now that I think about it, The Revenant was basically a parable about not loving with a man’s respawn point.

Edit: also, ie dogs in the dungeon, why aren't there more stories with adventurer's using dogs? A couple big, well trained mastiffs or hounds would be incredibly useful in a dungeon delve. Hell, why couldn't you train a trap or ambush monster sniffing dog? Chilchuck could be mostly replaced with a terrier of some sort.

They keep getting killed when mages need more mandrakes.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

You could maybe conceivably train a dog to sniff out a trap, but good luck finding a dog that can disarm one. Or pick a lock, for that matter

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the resurrection spell work on dogs

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That depends, do dogs have souls? If they do it would work, if not they'd have to do something else.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Presumably the frogs they skinned this episode won't be in an eternal agonizing half-life and some level of sentience is required to get resurrected.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Kwyndig posted:

That depends, do dogs have souls? If they do it would work, if not they'd have to do something else.

I feel like the answer is no, because if they did, someone would have tested out the question originally posted in episode 1: can you revive someone from poop

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Presumably the frogs they skinned this episode won't be in an eternal agonizing half-life and some level of sentience is required to get resurrected.

I mean, they’re already frog cutlets in the process of being digested, it’s over once your body is that processed/mutilated regardless of sentience.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Does the resurrection spell work on dogs

There's no mention of resurrecting dogs killed pulling mandrakes, but they did raise the kobold from the dead, so maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Are you saying you think kobolds and dogs are the same..?