Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The music in XIV specifically is such a huge selling point for people that people are going to react stronger than if this convo was about idk. The Witcher 3 or something.

It's no skin off my back that you don't care about the music, but that's why people are going to react the way they ware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

HaB posted:

It's not a processing thing, nor does it overwhelm me. I just don't want to sit there thinking "ooh! I wonder what that last chord change was?" or "oooh a drop to 7/4 - nice!" while I am trying to game, because it's distracting.

What you're describing is a processing thing that overwhelms you.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I like to always have music and sound effects on (in all games, not just FFXIV), and the music has a big impact on my impression of a game. I especially think it would be strange to turn off music before even listening to it once, but also who cares if someone else turns it off. It's like how I feel about FFXIV cutscene skippers-- it's not what I would do, and I recommend against it, but if that's the experience they enjoy then whatever.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Ojjeorago posted:

What you're describing is a processing thing that overwhelms you.

I mean I'm pretty sure I'd know if I was getting overwhelmed.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The music in XIV specifically is such a huge selling point for people that people are going to react stronger than if this convo was about idk. The Witcher 3 or something.

It's no skin off my back that you don't care about the music, but that's why people are going to react the way they ware.

Sure, but the reaction in the Souls thread was similar.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean all video games are designed with the music in mind. you can play without them if you want but itd be like watching a movie with the audio off and just subtitles. its not like anyones gonna stop you but it isnt exactly the intended experience

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Have they said specifically otherwise or should I just assume I need to rebuy expansions if I want to play on the new Xbox client.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Have they said specifically otherwise or should I just assume I need to rebuy expansions if I want to play on the new Xbox client.

Yes but you get a extra 30 days for the sub on PC too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I would assume you need to rebuy all the expansions for Xbox since it tracks each platform separately, even if you link accounts. So if you have just the base ARR on your Xbox and the account is linked to your main PC/Playstation account that has everything up through Endwalker, you'll still be able to log in and play in ARR areas on the Xbox, but all the other expansions' content will be locked out to you.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Also, each expansion includes all previous ones, so you only need to buy Endwalker (or wait for Dawntrail and buy that)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

HaB posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure I'd know if I was getting overwhelmed.

Sure, but the reaction in the Souls thread was similar.

people like music, and it's one of those things thats so universal that it is very unexpected and hard to relate to someone who prefers no music at all. and in games like ffxiv and souls there is a lot of emotional impact from the music.

it's like someone saying they don't like pizza. like it's fine, people can like what they like, but it's unusual. everyone loves pizza. right?

personally i can't relate to someone who hears things like chord changes and keys and timing poo poo in music. i've watched so many videos that talk about all that stuff and i just... don't know what the gently caress they're talking about. it's too technical and means nothing to me.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

HaB posted:

It's not a processing thing, nor does it overwhelm me. I just don't want to sit there thinking "ooh! I wonder what that last chord change was?" or "oooh a drop to 7/4 - nice!" while I am trying to game, because it's distracting.

And I don't dislike the responses, I just don't understand why a random not wanting to have music on for games makes people have such a strong reaction.

that's because the way you play your games is psychotic and everyone feels disgust

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HaB posted:

I don't agree with this in general, but I do think there's some songs that actively do have this problem. I feel like you're 'foregrounding' the backgorund music too much (which might itself be some sort of processing thing), but there are some songs that just don't work as background music because they're too distractingly complex.

There's very few that I'd say fall into that in FFXIV, but the best example I can think of is From Mud, the Arboretum Hard background music. It's actually a really nice song that makes really good use fo distortion... but hidden behind the swathe of combat sounds that a dungeon theme often is, it just comes out as the audio equivalent of sludge.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I always have music on, but mount music is always off because I dismount/remount so often for gathering and such that the music constantly changing bothers me.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Sat down this evening and on a whim decided to do every sidequest in the Churning Mists.

... I'm not sure some of these quest chains actually end.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I turned off mount music, but I always have music and sound effects on. I don't turn off music unless I really am focusing on something else.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

goblin week posted:

that's because the way you play your games is psychotic and everyone feels disgust

I don't and I think this is a strange way of describing how someone else plays games.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's kinda weird. All sorts of mods, graphical, qol, or just cheating get a pass. But turn the music off? You're playing the dev's vision wrong.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

i like music

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's kinda weird. All sorts of mods, graphical, qol, or just cheating get a pass. But turn the music off? You're playing the dev's vision wrong.

I don't think anyone is saying that, they're saying that music is a cohesive part of the whole design and if you turn it off you're inevitably cutting out a part of that design. If you're fine with that then you're fine with that, but the idea that it's superior is a very hard one to buy because, especially in FF14, music is so immensely tied to the atmospheric design of the game that cutting it out feels strange. (Barring like, turning it off because you've heard the song a billion times.)

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
I always turn BGM off, in every game, because:

A) If you're exploring a cave or wandering across an empty field, why would music be playing? Makes no sense in-universe or out.
B) If you need music to make a scene feel sad or angry or whatever, then that's just plain bad storytelling. Do books have music? No.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Offkorn posted:

A) If you're exploring a cave or wandering across an empty field, why would music be playing? Makes no sense in-universe or out.
B) If you need music to make a scene feel sad or angry or whatever, then that's just plain bad storytelling. Do books have music? No.

I fully support your right to do whatever you want to do but: video games are an audiovisual medium, just like films and TV shows are. I am assuming you don't just watch the latter in silence with subtitles (if you do then power to you I guess).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The way the game muffles the music in some situations means it's diegetic. :colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kazy posted:

The way the game muffles the music in some situations means it's diegetic. :colbert:

Eden Titan does have dialogue that comes from Under the Weight...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The linkpearl is used to stream background music for exploring imo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hell you can just carry around a Garlean radio.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The WoL carrying a big 80s-style boom box on their shoulder through Alexander blasting the FORWARD AND BACK song.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
lol if you don’t have music playing in your head all day every day

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Offkorn posted:

If I'm exploring a cave, why would there be a bunch of words telling me what's going on? wow books are dumb

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kazy posted:

The fact that (level 50 duty) going into Cerberus's stomach muffles the BGM remains amazing

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The Qitari tribe daily quests mention that the zone BGM is something echo havers can hear.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
the bgm comes from the same place as the orange puddles

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There is no canon explanation for the orange puddles.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that, they're saying that music is a cohesive part of the whole design and if you turn it off you're inevitably cutting out a part of that design. If you're fine with that then you're fine with that, but the idea that it's superior is a very hard one to buy because, especially in FF14, music is so immensely tied to the atmospheric design of the game that cutting it out feels strange. (Barring like, turning it off because you've heard the song a billion times.)

For me, that cohesive part of the whole design is important when doing story stuff. When I’m gathering or fishing or repeatedly grinding, the music is not adding to the experience. I take in the full experience when I do the content the first time. On repeat visits and grinding dailies and such, that cohesive experience isn’t even a cohesive experience.

I mean, if we’re talking about “people should always keep music on for the cohesive experience,” you could become a bit of a purist and extend that to other areas of the game. “If you ever skip a boss’s mechanics, you’re not getting the cohesive experience.” “If you ever run a dungeon unsynced, you’re not getting the cohesive experience.”

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the person you're quoting is talking about making sure to have that experience at least once, in a conversation about people not ever having that experience ever. your fourtieth or fiftieth time through the same thing is a different consideration entirely

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

flatluigi posted:

the person you're quoting is talking about making sure to have that experience at least once, in a conversation about people not ever having that experience ever. your fourtieth or fiftieth time through the same thing is a different consideration entirely

:shrug: I just don’t understand why we need to police or judge how other people partake in the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the natural response to someone saying they haven't done something that you've done and enjoyed is to recommend they do it, even if for whatever reason they have a blanket policy against ever giving it a shot

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Hell you can just carry around a Garlean radio.

Gruckles posted:

The Qitari tribe daily quests mention that the zone BGM is something echo havers can hear.

The news programme on the NPR/BBC equivalent here is called "The Echo". It's been running since the 30s and is generally considered a bastion of unbiased journalism, with something like 20% of the population listening daily.

My wol being an avid listener and therefore immune to Primal propaganda was always my headcanon. I appreciate that the Garlemald zone plot made it official that, yes, that is indeed a power of Eorzean public broadcasting. Listen to public radio kids, it willmay give you divine superpowers and save you from demonic possession.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kwyndig posted:

its the echo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kwyndig posted:

Fighter's intuition. It's why attacks that didn't have them originally get them later when you see someone do it again. Or why some blink right before they pop before it's too late because you didn't see it coming.

It's a gamified version of what your basic action anime protag sees mid fight. Like putting on color blind mode but for having a Goku Brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah orange puddles are just a gameplay contrivance.

But seeing hp bars? That's the echo.