Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
it’s the Anthropocene it’s supposed to be hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

got 2Cs on my report card and my dad is HEATED

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mags posted:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
at least we get 2c the end

though I don’t think I’m up for that in 10C(ity)

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

mags posted:

they nixed it and partly because they couldn't agree when humans starting loving things up.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/mar/07/quest-to-declare-anthropocene-an-epoch-descends-into-epic-row

quote:

An alternative proposal could be to declare the Anthropocene a geological “event”. These take place over time, are not part of the official geological timescale and do not need committee approval. Mass extinctions and the oxygenation of the atmosphere 2bn years ago are called events.

“Human impact goes much deeper into geological time,” said Prof Mike Walker, SQS member and at the University of Wales, Trinity Saint David. “If we ignore that, we are ignoring the true impact, the real impact, that humans have on our planet.”

mags
May 30, 2008

Rauros posted:

they nixed it and partly because they couldn't agree when humans starting loving things up.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/mar/07/quest-to-declare-anthropocene-an-epoch-descends-into-epic-row

oh god shut up scientists what the gently caress do they know

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

JohnnySavs posted:

Modern man no longer knows how to 4C or to forestall.

save this one for 2028

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

mags posted:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4BL0o1dJ5Q

A_Druish_Princess
Jan 12, 2024

Pussy Quipped posted:

there was a tiktok meme of a girl who said she was reducing her 401k contribution every time she could wear a t shirt and shorts in February and it got reposted the other day and I saw someone comment :
“if you think you won’t be able to collect your 401k in 30 years then why aren’t you just assassinating people ?”

lol lmao.

Glad she said it there because that would catch you a ban here! The audacity!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rauros posted:

Isn't the mark of a geologic time period that you can see it in the strata of most if not all of the Earth at the same time?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

mags posted:

Cs get degrees

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I am not worried about climate change at all

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Hooting and hollering for C level rise

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

joe will fix it

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

skooma512 posted:

Isn't the mark of a geologic time period that you can see it in the strata of most if not all of the Earth at the same time?

The plastic contaminates earlier layers and has been found in preindustrial soils so it's not a guarantee that it is only found where it should be

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Wasn't it like last Aug or Sept that broke 1.5C? It's gonna be a year or less for us to go from 1.5C to 2C.

Let me just plot that it for a bit, and... I'll get to see Venus Earth before (as) I die. Wonderful job everybody!

mags
May 30, 2008

jetz0r posted:

Wasn't it like last Aug or Sept that broke 1.5C? It's gonna be a year or less for us to go from 1.5C to 2C.

Let me just plot that it for a bit, and... I'll get to see Venus Earth before (as) I die. Wonderful job everybody!

youll die way before it gets to venus earth (about 5-10 minutes before)

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I hope they don't put ChatGPT in charge of Hotel

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Ok but what are the benefits of global warming?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Confusedslight posted:

it’s summer here in march bay-bee! beautiful warm beach weather, bright clear sun. it kicks rear end, death to winter!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Confusedslight posted:

global equality (all dead)

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

turning earth into venus is not enough let's light this bitch on fire and make a new sun

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

capitalism will not be satisfied until the earth is a white hot orb of electron degenerate plasma

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

that wouldn't even come close

fun fact, it was actually a soviet professor that outlined the planet, solar system and galactic scales of energy consumption that civilizations would attain 'based on the axiom of exponential growth'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

destroying earth is just getting started

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1766120158748356753?t=zwiHAJfmy7dCvQu9TkR3Kg&s=19

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I hope they don't put ChatGPT in charge of Hotel

We'll fix it with a rocket launcher

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Microplastics posted:

love 2C it happen

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

:w00t:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
1 calorie raises 1 ml of water 1 degree celcius.
The oceans are 1,386,000,000 cubic kilometers of water.
A big mac is 560 Kcals

So that graph is showing us the heat of burning 2,475,000,000,000,000,000 big mac sandwiches.

There are 8 billion people on the planet, so that's about 309,375,000 sandwiches per person.

We did it in about 15 years, so figure about 42,380 big macs a day per person on earth worth of energy to heat all that water.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

mcdonalds!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
That's just mining 3 bitcoins.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

finally some good news

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Salt Fish posted:

1 calorie raises 1 ml of water 1 degree celcius.
The oceans are 1,386,000,000 cubic kilometers of water.
A big mac is 560 Kcals

So that graph is showing us the heat of burning 2,475,000,000,000,000,000 big mac sandwiches.

There are 8 billion people on the planet, so that's about 309,375,000 sandwiches per person.

We did it in about 15 years, so figure about 42,380 big macs a day per person on earth worth of energy to heat all that water.

woah look pal that's not anomaly thatj's raw temp get realit's not tha tbad yet

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

cash crab posted:

mcdonalds!

ok take that idea with the say mcdonalds to stop ad meme but its bdelloid eating a big mac

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i will never not hate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology