Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I'm american

gently caress off we're full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

bikini island doesn't count

Did you know one guy survived both Atomic bombs? Sounds insane but it happened

I'm not talking about the bikini atoll, I'm talking about Maralinga in South Australia:

https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/resources/maralinga

https://maralingatours.com.au/

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bald Stalin posted:

gently caress off we're full

I didn't want to go there anyway

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm not talking about the bikini atoll, I'm talking about Maralinga in South Australia:

https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/resources/maralinga

https://maralingatours.com.au/

https://www.history.com/news/the-man-who-survived-two-atomic-bombs

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Megabound posted:

Bunnings had a rental system it's called buying it, using it then returning it

its called shove it in your pants and walk out the door

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I know about that guy.

Supposedly there was about 100-120 odd "double" survivors that the Japanese government kept tabs on after the war quietly. Read about it when visiting Hiroshima.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

EoinCannon posted:

I made a sculpture and it got installed this morning at Glenelg beach

Yes that's it's lovingly sculpted penis flopped out onto the sand

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-09/beached-whale-replica-at-glenelg-for-adelaide-festival/103568354

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4RZyRHSSY_/

The digital sculpt

I think a giant goonbag like the one they did in Perth would be better

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
how much time was dedicated to the dork?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Design of the whaledick was actually subcontracted out to NVJ

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EoinCannon posted:

I made a sculpture and it got installed this morning at Glenelg beach

Yes that's it's lovingly sculpted penis flopped out onto the sand

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-09/beached-whale-replica-at-glenelg-for-adelaide-festival/103568354

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4RZyRHSSY_/

The digital sculpt

Realisticly coloured dead whale penis.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Realisticly coloured dead whale penis.

seems very active for a dead penis.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'd like to know more about the Japanese DIY nuke what do I google

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

NVJ shrinks himself down to mow the synthetic grass under the meat in butcher displays

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
wasnt the japanese nuke the moonies or am i confusing my cults?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The whale dick went through a few revisions and then the final was created dead straight to use as a mold for silicon. So its all floppy :flaccid:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's probably best to not go look. Or do and see Bucky dismantle someone so bad they had a huge meltdown

I've honestly lost count of the number of times some white person in a position of authority or power has faced the slightest push back from a minority and someone has rushed in to say that racism against white people is totally real and just as bad and quoted the loving dictionary at people.

And then, in the space of half a dozen posts, has gone from "I'm the only one here who's really standing up for what's right" to "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children".

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I think you might be confused

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Chewbecca posted:

Did he know he had it when he came into work?

No but he was certainly unwell. Had clean results from rats but went and got a pcr from the med centre behind work and it came back positive. He really should have had a mask on while he was in the staffroom but didn't and now I feel rubbish.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

you're thinking of Aum Shinrikyo who did the subway gassing and were rumoured to have done a nuke test in the outback

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
used to be that it would get dark at 8pm but now its getting dark at 7:45pm because of the woke

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

used to be that it would get dark at 8pm but now its getting dark at 7:45pm because of the woke

loving libs taking minutes off the day
no one can stop them
couple weeks its gonna be an hour

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

I'd like to know more about the Japanese DIY nuke what do I google

Aum Shinrikyo cult.

Only source I recall about their nuke going off in Australia is a quote from Bill Bryson's book on his travel around AU and I can't recall his sources but maybe the wiki has something

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
https://www.vice.com/en/article/7xkv7q/did-a-japanese-cult-detonate-a-nuclear-bomb-in-the-australian-desert

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-21/outback-station-home-to-doomsday-cult-aum-shinrikyo/12024820

They did have an outback station briefly to try & test their chemical weapons in private, but it's very unlikely they detonated a nuclear device.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They sound like the dumbest terrorists ever. Why bring all that equipment and red flags over? Just buy them here and no one would know

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

No but he was certainly unwell. Had clean results from rats but went and got a pcr from the med centre behind work and it came back positive. He really should have had a mask on while he was in the staffroom but didn't and now I feel rubbish.

I fucken hate when people come into work symptomatically ill. They usually announce "oh but it's not covid!!" super performatively too

Like I don't want any sickness, covid or otherwise? Work remotely or take a sick day you dumb oval office uuuuuuggghhhhh

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
What sort of autumn is it with three 40° days in a row?

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

EoinCannon posted:

The whale dick went through a few revisions and then the final was created dead straight to use as a mold for silicon. So its all floppy :flaccid:

So what youre saying is you could send it to tfab.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Chewbecca posted:

I fucken hate when people come into work symptomatically ill. They usually announce "oh but it's not covid!!" super performatively too

Like I don't want any sickness, covid or otherwise? Work remotely or take a sick day you dumb oval office uuuuuuggghhhhh

When it's easier to just come into work rather than try to get a medical certificate.

Thankfully, you can get them at a lot of pharmacies now, but it used to be a real hassle. Which, I suppose, was the point.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
NVJ lost his job as fluffer for I'm A Celebrity.... Get Me Out Of Here Australia

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When it's easier to just come into work rather than try to get a medical certificate.

Thankfully, you can get them at a lot of pharmacies now, but it used to be a real hassle. Which, I suppose, was the point.

It's rediculous that you can't have a sick day when you are legitimate sick without a cert in a lot of places, especially post covid. Like sure if they are taking them off all the time or more than two days, but the old 'if you aren't in hospital come to work' bullshit is insane post covid.

Society really didnt learn a drat thing from the entire planet getting locked down from a global pandemic that coming to work sick is a bad thing. Profit must go brrrt.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Sadly teaching is one of those jobs where it’s generally easier to drag yourself through the day unwell than it is to take a day off. The days of kids watching videos are long gone so you need to set all of your work for the day even if you know the kids aren’t going to do it.

Others in the school also abused their sick days last year by taking most mondays off so now everyone in the school needs to provide a med cert for all absences so those cunts can get hosed.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah most places I've worked have the rule of "med certs needed before/after weekend and public holidays, for more than 3 days in a row, or for the third occassion in a year"

That being said, a sick leave absence policy is only as strong as the people policing it and these things are never policed that strongly in my experience

Maybe for the people who commonly take the piss it is, idk. Never give HR an edge on you I guess!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I went to a gig last night (huge surprise) but something felt a bit weird about it. weird start time (11pm) which turns out was just the second-show time of the night - there was a show on from 8pm with other bands.

after a bit of digging it turns out that both the first and second shows were Live Nation events.

for those that dont know, Live Nation is a huge US organisation that is slowly but surely buying up venues, festivals and agencies around australia.

the whole operation is designed to control the entire music industry top to bottom. they run artist management, ticketing, booking, promotion, venues, drink prices the lot. no surprise but they are taking some of the merch sales too. Theres accounting trickery too according to some artists - while they are getting 50% of the ticket face value, the additional fees on top are actually going to Live nation too, so all the line items that appear to be costs are actually just going straight past the artist and into the promoters pockets.

Theres been a number of events in the US where safety has been an issue (travis scotts concert a few years ago where there was a crowd crush) and other incidents. Maybe our more robust industrial action/WHS regs are preventing serious accidents from actually occurring.

you wont be surprised to learn that Live Nation has a pretty big stake in Secret Sounds who operate Splendour in the Grass - in fact the year they cancelled day 1 because of weather was the first year Live Nation were involved and they increased the capacity by 20% that year. they also stiffed a lot of the smaller artists which were not managed by LN whose sets were cancelled, so they were forced to accept a discounted fee that many said didnt cover their accom/transport costs.

this article covers a lot of it https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music/the-overseas-giants-swallowing-australia-s-live-music-industry-20221026-p5bt01.html

Theres plenty of stuff on reddit from artists and other articles from the US too.

The whole thing stinks and Im going to be paying a lot more attention to who is running shows from now on.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
woodford folk festival remains supreme

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You have to get a piece of paper from somewhere to take a day of sick leave? lol what the gently caress? In California I only needed a doctor's note saying I'm allowed to come back after being out for a while, like a week off. Not for taking a Monday off because you can't be hosed lol

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I think it depends how much your HR department sux

Where I work right now they are pretty good at trusting that we are actually sick and not taking the piss, I've had doctor certificates if needed but never had to show one

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Notes for a day of sick leave, asking for permission to go on strike, not allowed to bring guns onto the worksite, shits hosed up here

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Ours was fine but then some fuckwits took advantage of it and now we all need doctors certs lest we get told off.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Every place I've ever worked it's only people taking the piss that need certificates. Only downside with working from home is having to come up with more creative excuses for sickies.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Only thing I miss about the public service was being able to stat dec sick days and they had to accept them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
mental health days should really be enshrined somehow so everyone gets 10 mental health days along with 10 sick days a year