Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Nick & Lever

55: Making Curry

Refute their logic, you cannot! Also that's not chocolate Lever's munching at the end, Japanese style curry is sold in bars similar to chocolate. You break off a few bricks and throw it straight in the pan with maybe some water.
Fake edit: I didn't notice Nick's bib until I was previewing the post.

56: Decluttering

I like that Nick talks to his videos.

I feel like Nick & Lever as characters have existed for hundreds of years within the Zen philosophy.

56.5: Forgetfulness

This is probably one of Nick & Lever's most iconic pages for these three panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Sir Bastrop is fully stylish even while welding.

Oh mang, this one page summarizes so many happy days for me.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Mar 8, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CheeseThief posted:

This is probably one of Nick & Lever's most iconic pages for these three panels.

Always love a good confused question mark reaction. It joins

as a favorite, I know there are a couple other good ones I can't think of at the moment.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

cont'd
one more :catdrugs: ANGEL CATBIRD :catdrugs: post for today and then once per day or page I guess

Several large bruises have materialized on my body purely from the sheer blunt trauma of the last panel of the previous post, but soothing these lethal injuries somewhat is how our evil villain has names for each and every one of his rat minions. It's just precious. :swoon:

It's been a while since I've actually re-read this comic, so sometimes I come across a panel that feels a whole lot like what I imagine taking a sidewinder missile directly to your balls feels like. Like this, where Strig sees a cat pissing on his front porch and his immediate instinct is to think "I can do better than that!" and whip out his hog.

This comic was written by Margaret Atwood, whose flagship novel is required reading in many high schools.

Another consistent theme through this comic is that while the art isn't necessarily bad (okay, maybe a little, but that's somewhat forgivable considering the character designs Atwood provided) is that there is absolutely no consistency to how any of the characters are drawn. Sometimes Strig looks like a Clark Kent clone. Sometimes he looks like a George Lincoln Rockwell impersonator. They're all horrible! I don't like it!

String runs into his coworker, who directs him to the cat club called the Catastrophe. Also more inconsistent art in the second panel, where it looks like String just stepped in a puddle of DMT.

Introducing the other cat people, who kinda look like the cats from Cats but worse. Seriously, look at this poo poo. They look more like failed Batmen. Also, I like Strig's love interest punctuating her text with a meow. That's how you know she's a cat! :eng101:

Anyway, this is what she looks like in her cat form, which equates to her having cat ears, whiskers, a tail, but still looking entirely human, complete with a human skin tone. I think the intention here was to make her seem alluring, but the result is more akin to a furry as drawn by an alien who had the concept of a furry described to them through a tin can once. Why do her pants have whiskers? This is a love interest made in a lab to be as un-sexy as felinely possible.

This comic has outright shown plenty of times that other animals are outright sapient, so this really seems like the equivalent of Love Interest (I'm calling her this until I can remember her name) just provoking an impromptu rat pogrom

How did they not see the giant camera fixed on the rat's head?

Here lies Strig Faleedus, stabbed in a bar fight. He never scored.

The blunt concussion transforms Strig, who turns into :catdrugs: ANGEL CATBIRD :catdrugs: of :catdrugs: ANGEL CATBIRD :catdrugs: fame. He looks completely awful, but this is quickly defused when Love Interest points out that they all look like freaks. This is a completely valid point, except she and the other catmens merely look freakish where looking at :catdrugs: ANGEL CATBIRD :catdrugs: makes me want to parrot Warhammer 40k quotes about why I should fear and despise the mutant.

Catula.

The Handmaid's Tale has sold eight million copies.

As Strig confronts the fact that vampires apparently exist, our brave villain that I'm honestly willing to hear out finds out that something's amiss when he discovers his best spy rat has been turned into cat poo poo.

next

Blarghalt has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Mar 9, 2024

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Blarghalt posted:

:catdrugs: ANGEL CATBIRD :catdrugs:

It's still funny to me that Strig is Muroid's employee and had already completed the project. Muroid did not need any schemes or treachery, he literally could've said, "great, get me a write-up of your results by noon tomorrow" and all of this could've been avoided

Muroid when I explain this to him:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Works left to right or right to left in this and most cases lol

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

By popular demand posted:

Dear god in heaven I almost lost it when I realized all that crazy was just the first issue of catbird.
feels like the amount of bugfuck that takes many comics a whole run to get to.

E and Strix Felidae? why not name him Johnny Mccat-Owl?

gently caress, I caught the Felidae part easily enough but I totally missed "Strigs"/Strix :doh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lol Angel Catbird rules. I can't believe this insane thing exists

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
This place is for cats and half-cats. You're like one third cat, at best. Here, let me show you my calculations!

edit: thank god the mouse-blood champagne is non-alcoholic. Otherwise, it would have been weird.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 61: Let's Go Crazy

Looks like Sasuke is starting to come out of his funk, good for him.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 31.4: The Genius Actor Gives Jousting a Go

This bonus chapter appears to be a collaboration with some Japanese celebrity I've never heard of. It's got enough of the weird historical flavour for DHC, so I'm keeping it in. This is the last bonus chapter for this volume, main line DHC returns in may three or four days?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I don't think we needed a panel indicating that Sasuke got an erection thinking about teaware

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Margaret Atwood, known animal rights supporter: Won't someone please think of the poor birds and cats. Not rats though, gently caress those ugly bastards :whitewater:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've finally finished Computer Gaming World issue 16, but we're still in 1984. Lots of new computer games out, the competition between the Apple IIe, Commodore 64 and Atari computers is fierce, and one cartoonist is still at it...

Chip & Ferb

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Angel catbird...

Has to be a deliberate parody / homage to silver age insanity right? Deliberately and knowingly so? It's not like it's written in an identifiable Atwood voice.

E: Like the little cat fact bits. Didn't Dick Tracy or something like that have those?

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Hempuli posted:

I don't think we needed a panel indicating that Sasuke got an erection thinking about teaware

Speak for yourself

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lunar Maladies

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Tiger, Tiger

What kind of a lousy gay bar doesn't have an orgy at 10 AM on Tuesday?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Nick and Lever crossover with Hyouge Mono where they effortlessly become masters of simplicity completely by accident through being dumbasses and it makes Furuta insanely jealous.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Being a roving gay fencer who goes by The Rooster is a pretty powerful choice

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

Nick and Lever crossover with Hyouge Mono where they effortlessly become masters of simplicity completely by accident through being dumbasses and it makes Furuta insanely jealous.

"Everyone in the world knows that when the beautiful strives to be beautiful, it is repulsive.
Everyone in the world knows that when the good strives to be good, it is no good.

This is why sage abide in the business of nonaction,
and practice the teaching that is without words."

(I'd read that crossover)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

her bra is cat eyes and she's got the cat nose on her belt and thats why her skirt has whiskers

yeah yeah what the gently caress is this comic i have so many questions, none i want answered though

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Margaret Atwood is just a fan of classic Thurber, that's all.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Here's a five-pager I made last week. Probably the plot doesn't really work at all, but it started with a couple of panels I just had to draw, and then I kind of needed to string them together?

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

fuuuuuuuck yeeeeeeeeeeessssssss that poo poo is so good!!!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

OOOOOOOooooooooooh YYYYeah.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Holy crap, that’s fantastic. I love how you rendered their speech. And that last panel just makes me want to smile.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

oh hell yes

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
hell yeah, Robot Buddy

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Mar 9, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Aw thanks thread! It was inspired by a 23 year old guy I know crying about the drought, and by Denis Villeneuve's love of big floating things in the sky that go HHOOMMMMM

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

THE WHEAT MUST FLOW

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

THE WHEAT MUST FLOW

You monster, don't make me paint a spice harvester in Case IH or John Deere colours. I hate you aaaaaaaa
Incidentally, the interstellar harvest being resembles a deer. Cos John Deere, lol, haha

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

You monster, don't make me paint a spice harvester in Case IH or John Deere colours. I hate you aaaaaaaa
Incidentally, the interstellar harvest being resembles a deer. Cos John Deere, lol, haha

HE WHO CONTROLS THE WHEAT CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tree Bucket posted:

Here's a five-pager I made last week. Probably the plot doesn't really work at all, but it started with a couple of panels I just had to draw, and then I kind of needed to string them together?

no, it works

it works quite well

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 33: Miyamoto's Birthday

Blacksuit Miyamoto: proud son of the North?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
New prompt: Margaret Achewood

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:barf:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Cate Leone! What in the HELL are you wearin'?! What's...where's...how do I even begin to describe your pants/bra situation?! You wanted catty clubwear, so you put whiskers on your pants! SAY IT! How come you cats are so GOD DAMNED stupid and just do the stupidest thing possible every SINGLE SECOND OF THE GOD DAMNED DAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
In contrast to all the horrified posting, let me just say I absolutely adore the Atwood joint because it reads to me like a bunch of people having tremendous fun going completely off the deep end.

She's done a crazy amount of serious writing, here there's clearly zero editorial control so she gets to just cut loose with whatever random fever dream from youth floats to the surface, let's go with it and cackle with glee. I'm here for it.

None of which means it's good, to be clear. Vanity publishing is the right term as far as I can tell.