Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Multiple hours later, following different guides with completely different strats, I finally beat Fort Condor hard mode level 3. Literal hundredths of a second or inches of placement can affect the outcome and force a restart if one of your guys dies when they weren't supposed to.

So I guess I have to reiterate, gently caress Fort Condor. And now I'll never, ever have to touch it again. Still no key item though but at least the intel page has them checked off?

i just turned it to easy and beat all four hardmode stages in ten minutes. gimme those points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Oh my god the... bar in Junon

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, 4th fort condor battle was way easier for me than the 3rd. Went with the super defensive loadout with cloud and tifa, won with like 35 seconds left.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's done.

GOTY.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Junon rules so much. What a slam dunk

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

Junon rules so much. What a slam dunk

I love that it expands on the whole "Cloud infiltrates the parade" sequence which was one of the little things that sold me on the original game as being such a fun and unique and often weird experience in such a fantastic way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it helps that they clearly know what parts of FF7 were the most memorable to people and were dedicated to capturing those parts in some form. The inclusion of Test 0 alone is such an immensely obscure in-joke.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Midway through chapter nine, and I can’t believe what an excellent job they’ve done with these games.

I’m really glad I decided to play through the original a few weeks ago, I’d never really gotten out of midgar before, and I think if I hadn’t bothered a lot of the best moments would have flown over my head.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I am really enjoying the level design in chapters 7, 8, and 9 which manages to capture a lot of the general sensibility and the feeling of the various sprawling, weirdly interconnected maps in the original in a modern implementation without being just straight-up reimplementations of them. Good stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finally beat the final Queen's Blood boss after like hours of trying, but I think that was pure luck.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Quinton posted:

I am really enjoying the level design in chapters 7, 8, and 9 which manages to capture a lot of the general sensibility and the feeling of the various sprawling, weirdly interconnected maps in the original in a modern implementation without being just straight-up reimplementations of them. Good stuff.

I’m really impressed with how well they’ve captured the feeling of the old pre-rendered backgrounds.

Especially around Corel, there’s a few areas that I’d have sworn were just scaled up versions of backgrounds from the original, even though they aren’t.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

I’m really impressed with how well they’ve captured the feeling of the old pre-rendered backgrounds.

Especially around Corel, there’s a few areas that I’d have sworn were just scaled up versions of backgrounds from the original, even though they aren’t.

I really appreciated the music in Corel using the same synth string patch from the OG.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

End of Chapter 9 spoilers I hope they don't do Sephiroth wants to destroy everyone but is doing it a different way plotline. That'd be really tired and not particularly interesting. I'm not sure what to make of the white whispers. It may be holy since Aerith's white materia is clear, like it was used up. Or it might be some other thing since it came from the Weapons and they weren't at all friendly in the original. Maybe the planet stole that power from her because the whispers were taken. Either way, I'd love to have my expectations subverted and the fact that it has me speculating mid-game is great!

If they go down those obvious routes I'll take that journey with them but I hope they throw in those twists and turns. A genuine surprise would be really nice. It's what I got with Remake and I hope they continue to do so in this and the last game.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

Aerith is such a Disney adult

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
YouTube algorithm led to me watching some clips from Remake

Cloud was a lot less wooden in FF7R1 than Rebirth. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. Is he universally more flat in the japanese dialogue as well?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Sockser posted:

YouTube algorithm led to me watching some clips from Remake

Cloud was a lot less wooden in FF7R1 than Rebirth. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. Is he universally more flat in the japanese dialogue as well?

I think it's the total opposite, he has much more range in Rebirth.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I noticed him being more wooden, but considering rebirth is basically cloud's disassociation quest I assumed a lot of it was intentional direction. He is a lot more terse in japanese in general, but pretty much everyone is in japanese in every piece of media ever

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I know there's some grumbling about padding and mini-games but at this point I'm completely sold. This rules.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jimbot posted:

End of Chapter 9 spoilers I hope they don't do Sephiroth wants to destroy everyone but is doing it a different way plotline. That'd be really tired and not particularly interesting. I'm not sure what to make of the white whispers. It may be holy since Aerith's white materia is clear, like it was used up. Or it might be some other thing since it came from the Weapons and they weren't at all friendly in the original. Maybe the planet stole that power from her because the whispers were taken. Either way, I'd love to have my expectations subverted and the fact that it has me speculating mid-game is great!

If they go down those obvious routes I'll take that journey with them but I hope they throw in those twists and turns. A genuine surprise would be really nice. It's what I got with Remake and I hope they continue to do so in this and the last game.

My interpretation (at the same point in the game as you) regarding the whispers stuff is that OG Aerith has some influence over the lifestream which manifests as white whispers, like how the black ones are Sephiroth-controlled. I think Remake's may have been Jenova-"infested" lifestream whispers, and that we excised Jenova's influence in the end of Remake. This enabled "pure" non-Jenova'd Sephiroth to take the reins, for better or worse.

But I have no idea what to make of Remake-Aerith's orb being empty, or the two timelines in general.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

No Mods No Masters posted:

I noticed him being more wooden, but considering rebirth is basically cloud's disassociation quest I assumed a lot of it was intentional direction. He is a lot more terse in japanese in general, but pretty much everyone is in japanese in every piece of media ever

I feel like in Remake the thing people noticed most was the depth of humanity the game added to Cloud’s portrayal.

In Rebirth the thing people notice most is that Cloud Strife is loving crazy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheHoosier posted:

Oh my god the... bar in Junon

they noticed that everyone’s favorite part of Remake was Wall Market so now half the game has that same energy

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

Chapter 8 with that someone who knocks on your door the slow-fi Tifa remix song slaps when she knocks on your door and you explore the park

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cloud + Tifa is canon

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Oh no the card tournament I'm dying

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

triple sulk posted:

Cloud + Tifa is canon

im playing through chapter 8 and when talking to aerith when cloud is with Tifa going through all of the mini games she gets so jealous 😭 “I’m not naive, now go on enjoy our date” I thought the date was in a later chapter

Edit: drat… with Tifa in chapter 8 you walk past Jessie’s movie theater poster and Tifa says she owes Jessie everything drat

MintFresh fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 9, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

Oh no the card tournament I'm dying

Potentially the best part of the game tbh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just started Chapter 11, how much game do I have left?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MintFresh posted:

im playing through chapter 8 and when talking to aerith when cloud is with Tifa going through all of the mini games she gets so jealous 😭 “I’m not naive, now go on enjoy our date” I thought the date was in a later chapter

It is in a later chapter

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Augus posted:

just started Chapter 11, how much game do I have left?

If you gun through the main plot, at least 12 hours

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

SettingSun posted:

Didn't really consider that they just wouldn't address it (which is ultimately ok, for the record).

Oh, you can find out what happened to your equipment from the first game in Chapter 9.
Johnny's got them.

In my mind, they left their stuff in the getaway truck and just couldn't go back for it because of Sephiroth making them go into a dimensional rift.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hung out with Aerith at the Gold Saucer, relived our Corneo Colosseum date by beating up bosses ten levels higher than us.

There sure are a bunch of folios stashed in this place.

Just curious: if you happen to have multiple characters equal in approval when you reach a related event, how does the game break the tie? Is there an approval cap or is it always possible to do a few more synergy abilities to put one party member over the others?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol after 50 attempts i have to pause trying to get the max tier crunches.... if only that timer wasn't so long lol.

got close once and then dropped it in the last 10 seconds. then my hands started getting super sweaty and i got the yips and started bombing out before getting 10 reps

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How in the actual gently caress do I "defeat the enemy without getting swallowed"?

I can be running around and spamming the dodge button in random directions but that fucker just auto-homes in on me and swallows me

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Frankston posted:

How in the actual gently caress do I "defeat the enemy without getting swallowed"?

I can be running around and spamming the dodge button in random directions but that fucker just auto-homes in on me and swallows me

When I saw the red skill name pop up I stopped attacking and started dodging like hell until I was far away from the worm so even with homing it didn't reach me, took me a couple of tries tbf

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Having finally cleared enough space on my PS5 for Rebirth, I have a question-should I play through Remake to get that save carry-over stuff or just watch an LP (probably Chip's) for context and then jump into Rebirth?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That worked, thanks.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
cosmo canyon protorelic quest #1 they sure went out of their way to crush any remaining ambiguity about Wedge's survival as hard as they possibly could huh

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

Having finally cleared enough space on my PS5 for Rebirth, I have a question-should I play through Remake to get that save carry-over stuff or just watch an LP (probably Chip's) for context and then jump into Rebirth?

Remake's really good and I think worth playing on its own, but you do have a recap on Rebirth's main menu if you just wanna jump right in

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hmm it's really loving lame that you can't complete all the Corel protorelic stuff until chapter 12. I've spent ages running around the whole map trying to find the last two objectives until I gave up and googled it.

Does it say anything like "you'll have to come back later" and I just missed it or is it just really poo poo game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

cosmo canyon protorelic quest #1 they sure went out of their way to crush any remaining ambiguity about Wedge's survival as hard as they possibly could huh

I was struck by how gruesome it was. Like no we all saw him hit the pavement, and a brief pan over to his body.