Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i always played harkonnen and supported copec, even though i myself was an older brother. hosed up really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are only two youtubers that need to be in a yakuza game DSP and Mike Matei

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm a few pages late to the Akira Toriyama discussion but I just wanted to say Frieza was such a loving cool design and gave me a lifelong appreciation for vaguely queer-feeling villains

freeza is a little gay bitch and i respect that

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Westwood made a chat programme and most of the people on there don't even play the game we were just being mean little shits to each other

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

freeza is a little gay bitch and i respect that

yep

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Freeza was based on thr most evil concept toriyama could think of: a real estate agent.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Freeza was based on thr most evil concept toriyama could think of: a real estate agent.

he was right

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
freeza is a land speculator and a land lord but he's got drip

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

As a kid I read dbz translated into Chinese so the transliterate names were like 飞理杀 (fei Lee sha where sha is the Chinese word for kill) and drat that's a cool name and then the internet became commonplace and then I found out his name is freezer. And then vegeta is based on vegetables and trunks is underwear

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A nepo baby landlord.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Tunicate posted:

lol

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
idk if it changed because EA but tiberian sun+expansion, at least, was already free as late as last year because they fell under defunct IP. Not against copyright law to DL either.

also with RA2 and maybe some of the others, you have to finagle quite a bit to get them working on windows 10 and 11

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Saddest Rhino posted:

As a kid I read dbz translated into Chinese so the transliterate names were like 飞理杀 (fei Lee sha where sha is the Chinese word for kill) and drat that's a cool name and then the internet became commonplace and then I found out his name is freezer. And then vegeta is based on vegetables and trunks is underwear

Vegatable and his pals Radish and Cabbage

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

that isn't an exaggeration or joke, toriyama owned

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Cranappleberry posted:

idk if it changed because EA but tiberian sun+expansion, at least, was already free as late as last year because they fell under defunct IP. Not against copyright law to DL either.

also with RA2 and maybe some of the others, you have to finagle quite a bit to get them working on windows 10 and 11

it hasnt, but it would be completely insane to sell an ultimate c&c collection and not include them lol also yeah theyre horrible to get working while the official ones seem to play out of the box. i was trying to get ra2 working a couple of weeks ago and even using all teh fan patches and launchers and stuff i couldnt get it working

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Is this steam purchase legit? You can mp for real?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
no one suffers like the retro pc gamers

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Is this steam purchase legit? You can mp for real?

you may have to patch for it and/or use a third-party mod, as well as patch to get the in-game videos working and working resolution and and and but yeah technically

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Stux posted:

it hasnt, but it would be completely insane to sell an ultimate c&c collection and not include them lol also yeah theyre horrible to get working while the official ones seem to play out of the box. i was trying to get ra2 working a couple of weeks ago and even using all teh fan patches and launchers and stuff i couldnt get it working

in some cases you have to block it on windows firewall or maybe turn off internet for single player to work. Yes it's really weird.

For RA2 I got the original working (but with no in-game videos) with just compatibility but that's super lucky and also probably because I wasn't using an updated version.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

pentyne posted:

But C&C Generals is like insanely racist though.

i consider it representation

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cranappleberry posted:

you may have to patch for it and/or use a third-party mod, as well as patch to get the in-game videos working and working resolution and and and but yeah technically

:(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

The old freeware releases (which were actively done by EA as promotional events, it wasn't some legal thing) are still available through CnCNet, who run a new multiplayer server for all the games. EA are fully aware of them (they're mentioned in a credits textfile in the new Steam release) and seem perfectly happy to keep letting them do what they do.

From giving Red Alert 2 a quick spin, the Steam releases have some compatibility stuff thrown on so you can play single player out of the box, but the multiplayer still seems unpatched so you'll still need CnCNet to play online.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
yeah i dont think you guys understand no computer program that wasnt explicitly released as public domain will become public domain in any timeframe that matters. defunct ip rules will never apply because part of being designated as a defunct ip is the holder admitting they have no plans to ever use their copyrighted material again. you are never gonna get a company to ever admit that, on pain of death.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

I don't mean to make it sound harder than it is. Red alerts 2 and 3 are super easy to deal with compared to like Fable 3 and 2 and modding either. It's a few DLs, some file replacements, maybe change some things in an ini, then run the new exe as admin and in the proper compatibility mode and hopefully it works. Really not that bad. The 3rd party MP isn't hard to get working, either.

The Kins posted:

The old freeware releases (which were actively done by EA as promotional events, it wasn't some legal thing) are still available through CnCNet, who run a new multiplayer server for all the games. EA are fully aware of them (they're mentioned in a credits textfile in the new Steam release) and seem perfectly happy to keep letting them do what they do.

From giving Red Alert 2 a quick spin, the Steam releases have some compatibility stuff thrown on so you can play single player out of the box, but the multiplayer still seems unpatched so you'll still need CnCNet to play online.

ahhh my bad

Cranappleberry has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Mar 9, 2024

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Antivehicular posted:

I know fragments of this history and it's all completely bananas. (Short version: people really invested in Mafia kept making games that required more and more time investment and more and more RP components, some people involved were creeps, everything developed exactly how you'd think)

my work used to have an IT guy who would constantly be browsing a forum dedicated to mafia games and i always wondered how that would work, it makes sense that it would be creepy RP

i only ever saw him eat two things, either he'd get an entire dominos pizza at like 9am and just eat it throughout the day or he'd get a giant bag of flamin' hot Cheetos and dump like a solid half cup of sriracha on them in a paper bowl and eat them with chopsticks

one time our operations guy (half receptionist half warehouse guy half office manager and former straight edge MMA fighter with cauliflower ear, extremely a "not gonna start poo poo but can definitely finish it" guy found him sleeping in the server room and this fuckin goon threatened to kick his rear end if he told on him. anyway that dude got fired and no asses got kicked

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i mean mafia itself is fine, even on forums. when its forums you just take way longer to play the games out so they tend to be balanced around that by giving people wacky powers instead of just "yeah theres a cop and a doctor". the part thats weird was making it some always on thing on discord where you had to constantly participate lol. and then of course making it about riven

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Tunicate posted:

Second evilest. The first was his editor.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

more falafel please posted:

my work used to have an IT guy who would constantly be browsing a forum dedicated to mafia games and i always wondered how that would work, it makes sense that it would be creepy RP

i only ever saw him eat two things, either he'd get an entire dominos pizza at like 9am and just eat it throughout the day or he'd get a giant bag of flamin' hot Cheetos and dump like a solid half cup of sriracha on them in a paper bowl and eat them with chopsticks

one time our operations guy (half receptionist half warehouse guy half office manager and former straight edge MMA fighter with cauliflower ear, extremely a "not gonna start poo poo but can definitely finish it" guy found him sleeping in the server room and this fuckin goon threatened to kick his rear end if he told on him. anyway that dude got fired and no asses got kicked

this guy is badass ficuk you

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ammat The Ankh posted:

king piccolo was his editor and he was the scariest man in the world

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

https://twitter.com/KennyLauderdal3/status/1766222760890523704?t=w-n55Amxqg1AtJ2M2Cjvhw&s=19

Lmao

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

mafia was always a thing i remember being huge at nerd sleepaway camps and gifted summer programs and what not, but i never got the appeal besides it being an excuse for horned up teenagers to be around each other.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I only know Maximilian because he looks like every manager I had at my music store job

His Reaction thumbnails are top tier.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Wormskull posted:

can't wait for him to be creepy @ me in the shadow realm

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

He's got nothing on my boy Flats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

yeah i dont think you guys understand no computer program that wasnt explicitly released as public domain will become public domain in any timeframe that matters. defunct ip rules will never apply because part of being designated as a defunct ip is the holder admitting they have no plans to ever use their copyrighted material again. you are never gonna get a company to ever admit that, on pain of death.

And yet companies can write off media for tax breaks and legally disallow themselves from using it again but apparently also no one else is allowed to legally use it then either

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

He's got nothing on my boy Flats.

[walks up to you and mutters in your ear] Link.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

NoiseAnnoys posted:

mafia was always a thing i remember being huge at nerd sleepaway camps and gifted summer programs and what not, but i never got the appeal besides it being an excuse for horned up teenagers to be around each other.

i like playing it like, with friends in person but playing with strangers on forums feels like it defeats the purpose

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i like playing it like, with friends in person but playing with strangers on forums feels like it defeats the purpose

presumably youd play it with people you post with which is why its dangerous b/c goons get super over familiar very fast

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Pretty sure games are like books when it comes to copyright law. 70 (depends on the country) years after Bobby Kotik dies, assuming he will be the last of the team team to die, you'll be able to legally play The Lost Vikings for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tiberium Wars owns