Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My rec would be Diablo 3 actually. It does have couch co-op and I spent a huge amount of time playing it that way with my niece. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does Diablo 3 track your character progress on each of your Switches or just the "host"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Well to be clear I don't know if two switches can LAN together to play. I've only done it on a single switch. It otherwise works like the PC version, where characters are tied to profiles.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

smoobles posted:

What's the best offline co-op game for two Nintendo Switches? My spouse and I have a long flight coming up.

Back in the day it we used to play Torchlight 2 on airplanes, but it's been a few years so I thought I'd ask the thread what's new. :)

edit: Diablo 3 has local co-op, right?

Not technically co-op, but clubhouse 51 is the best way to spend a plane ride with someone, and it only needs 1 switch so you’ll be able to play twice as long before your batteries die.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Pirate Captain posted:

Not technically co-op, but clubhouse 51 is the best way to spend a plane ride with someone, and it only needs 1 switch so you’ll be able to play twice as long before your batteries die.

clubhouse 51 owns. they should dig up more obscure games and make another one

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's still a few games they could add from the DS version, and tons of puzzle/board/card game variants out there that could be adapted.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

smoobles posted:

What's the best offline co-op game for two Nintendo Switches? My spouse and I have a long flight coming up.

Quake 2.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley came out yesterday, kids' game with great music and hand-drawn graphics. The game is very anti-cop and gameplay revolves around tearing down signs telling you what you can or can't do (like "do not enter" etc) and destroying walled parks created by someone who is making public property private and who is helped by cops.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

smoobles posted:

Back in the day it we used to play Torchlight 2 on airplanes, but it's been a few years so I thought I'd ask the thread what's new. :)

edit: Diablo 3 has local co-op, right?

Streets of Rage 4, though you'll miss out on the music.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

An Actual Princess posted:

clubhouse 51 owns. they should dig up more obscure games and make another one

Unlikely to happen, but I would be extremely excited for a clubhouse DLC :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Close to beating the first game in Another Code Recollection. It's a very chill, pleasant vibe, very friendly to play in small pockets while on vacation, but also very annoying how we are now entering a section where everyone just does what the villain says to enter a big conflict that reading a note on the other room shows the answer to the player very much a DS adventure game

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

48 Hour Boner posted:

Unlikely to happen, but I would be extremely excited for a clubhouse DLC :allears:

DLC seems like a no brainer but Nintendo I suppose

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

SettingSun posted:

These people live in a different world.

noooo can't play totk at 120 fps how will i live

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

noooo can't play totk at 120 fps how will i live

it's me

also I'm still mad about Hyrule Warriors 2

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
scored a deal on Live A Live. tried the OG SNES version ages ago but kept bouncing off it. really loving this one though. this is my first 2D/HD game and i am really really diggibg this aesthetic.

did Wild West and most of Prehistory on SNES version so i started with Imperial China to start. solid into to gameplay mechanics i think. simple plot but execution was nice.

did Distant Future next. maaaan though it was just a pastice of Alien and 2001: A Space Odyssey i loving loved it. least combat so far. basically a walking sim... but the dread was palpable. wandering the ship trying to dodge the alien spooked me haha.

did Present Day afterwards. felt like a huge wet fart in comparison. glad i didnt start with this one! all combat. minimal narrative. i wish there were interludes between battles where you qandered around and talked to people... or something. this one didnt do it for me but it was here where i realized the villain of each era has the same name... i am guessing there is a reincarnation thing going on. the protagonists are probably reincarnations of each other and it is good v evil fighting each other acroas time.

i can dig it.

gonna do Wild West tonight cause i know it's p short.

enjoying this a lot overall. play the Live A Live remaster if you havent! such a charming and unique RPG experience.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Cripes the MAR10 sale is junk. Mario golf and tennis for a 40 piece. What a savings on a old third rate game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There's a demo out for the Peach game now as well, anybody give it a try yet?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I am sad to say mario golf sucks. Low amount of courses and just way too few holes and game modes. Burned through it in about 10 hrs and I'd rather play the one on the n64

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Cripes the MAR10 sale is junk. Mario golf and tennis for a 40 piece. What a savings on a old third rate game

No Mario odyssey is the best part, fuckin Greedtendo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Oscar Wild posted:

I am sad to say mario golf sucks. Low amount of courses and just way too few holes and game modes. Burned through it in about 10 hrs and I'd rather play the one on the n64

What? There’s plenty to complain about with Super Rush but it has 12 courses and 250 unique holes, way more than any other Mario Golf game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Maudib Arakkis posted:

i was really hoping Smash would be on sale too. ah well.

tempted by Mario Rabbids 2. only $20CAD...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

American McGay posted:

What? There’s plenty to complain about with Super Rush but it has 12 courses and 250 unique holes, way more than any other Mario Golf game.

Yeah, and I love actually swinging with the joycon. It's so much more accurate than the Wiimote.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I first read flight as fight and then i imagined a couple settling disputes via quake 1v1 and instantly became depressed knowing i will never find a partner like this

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mario golf was a solid 70/100, perfectly scored by the scoring community

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

they can't keep getting away with this

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Shammypants posted:

Mario golf was a solid 70/100, perfectly scored by the scoring community

Tennis was bad though. Great mechanics (classic mode really feels nice) but they never got the magic back from the Camelot days. The story mode was weird because it’s like they got what everyone wanted and executed it terribly.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

remembering how at launch of mario tennis, waluigi could reach out and slap the ball anywhere on the court by just standing squarely in its center

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Mr.Acula posted:

I first read flight as fight and then i imagined a couple settling disputes via quake 1v1 and instantly became depressed knowing i will never find a partner like this

"I told you we need to buy a minivan!"
"Alright that's it, get your rear end in The Edge"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr.Acula posted:

Not with that attitude.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Every Mar10 sale Nintendo puts the Mario Kart 8 base game on sale and the deluxe with the DLC included, but never the DLC by itself. :negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Just buy it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Motherfucker can't afford 23 cents per track lmfao.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

EightFlyingCars posted:

remembering how at launch of mario tennis, waluigi could reach out and slap the ball anywhere on the court by just standing squarely in its center

That's just canon.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Double the original game’s content but it’s still not on sale.. *wrings hands* I dunno, just seems like it might be worth holding out another year or two

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
i got the expansion family pass switch online tier so i'm not worried on DLC, but dang, i've been itching for Mario Kart 8 again but wish I could buy it for 30, i bought the wii u one full price and its been a decade

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

mycot posted:

That's just canon.

he's a genetic freak that just happened to be perfect for his sport. he's the michael phelps of tennis

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

EightFlyingCars posted:

he's a genetic freak that just happened to be perfect for his sport. he's the michael phelps of tennis

That's why it literally took until Mario Tennis 64 to get Waluigi, Wario needed a ringer.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I played the princess peach demo. TLDR: insanely delightful, a bit more difficult than I was expecting. Fantastic experience, still tickled by its charm. Young kids will need mom or dad nearby to help explain what to do at times

There are two stages available, which you must do in order: swordfighter and pasty chef

You start out at the hub and have to wander around until you've spoken to the NPCs, then you can proceed. There is a fair bit of reading involved. No camera control, and Peach is either standing still or running, no in between. As you can see, my observations are those of a true gamer, which I am. I love that she lifts her skirt to run

Swordfighter stage consists of a front half where you are regular Peach, doing a ribbon attack to interact with everything. so you ribbon attack a bare tree, it switches to a leafy tree and coins pop out. The coins begin to flash and eventually disappear if you don't collect them. I don't know what the coins do, but in the hub world there is a spot that kind of looks like a shop, so I wonder.

When it's combat time, the house lights drop and there is a spotlight on Peach and the enemies. Otherwise you are just running around interacting with whatever you can. Eventually you get the swordfighter transformation, which is awesome. I recorded this clip just because I was smitten with her running animation:
https://x.com/BStinkplop/status/1766565009893810550?s=20
Occasionally you will see a button prompt to press X, which will give you context sensitive instructions, for example as swordfighter Peach she can loving dodge or counter. Guys it is so loving badass
https://x.com/BStinkplop/status/1766565241306185789?s=20
The timing window is pretty generous too
https://x.com/BStinkplop/status/1766569910464053698?s=20
There was a section where endless enemies would keep coming. I, as a true gamer, was able to recognize this and knew to continue on. But a young inexperienced gamer might need to be told the enemies will never stop coming.

After swordfighter Peach I talked to a hub NPC and was given a charm that gave me three extra temporary hearts. Then it was time for pastry chef Peach. This gameplay was more minigame focused, no combat. I took this clip only because I loved how she shifts her weight in time to the music:
https://x.com/BStinkplop/status/1766570176785559718?s=20
I found the minigames to be slightly challenging. Let me remind you I am a true gamer, so please realize when I say that, yes there was a bit of a learning curve and the goals were not made super clear. It is extremely important that you understand I am a gamer; the situation was somewhat akin to when Frieza was surprised he had to use 10% of his power against Goku. Also I failed the first minigame attempt and lost a heart. 2nd attempt I realized when making the cookies, you should see which ones are double batches and prioritize them so you have enough at the end...the timer was fairly strict.

This one was somewhat daunting, and the rules were not made super clear before the timer started. You have to look at the decoration in the upper right and match it to the cake you're working on. You have to move Peach around and pipe frosting dollops as the cake spins in place

After that you are returned to the hub and the demo is over. There are 10 hidden sparkle things in each stage, I got 9/10 on the first one because I did not find a hidden one, and I got 6/10 on the second stage because I did not do good enough in the minigames. I'm pretty confident a second attempt would get me the missing ones, but again, I am a true gamer.

This game is great. It has the usual attention to small details that you'd expect from a Nintendo game which give it charm overload. I was somewhat surprised at the amount of reading required and the challenge of some parts, very young kids might struggle a little. But they will overcome if they persist :)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

^^^yeah all of this basically sums up my thoughts about it, it's obviously not going to be an actual challenge for a True Gamer but the demo is an absolute delight and overflowing with charm, I can easily see this becoming a successful spin-off franchise a la Luigi's Mansion

Probably not gonna be a day-one buy for me but I'm sure eventually when I have too much free time on my hands and maybe a decent sale I'll probably pick it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sounds good enough for me. Do we know if having the demo will unlock anything in the full game?