Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Huh, I wondered what the Leviathan deck was all about. I thematically paint my army as Hive Fleet Leviathan so it was a bit confusing, was wondering if it was hive fleet specific rules or something. Didn't look too deep at the cards, I was mostly there for a codex and some paints. I don't have the dedication to be doing tournament-level game play, I mostly want to make sure I have whatever the "official" rules are for showing up at a game store and playing whoever is there.

Though if I'm allowed to put on my old person hat and start yelling at clouds a bit, seems everyone these days wants to organize games ahead of time on Facebook groups, show up, play, then leave. BACK IN MY DAY we would hang out at the store for the day and do whatever, being a part of A COMMUNITY, playing whatever, whenever. God drat kids these days and their interwebs. No I'm not interested in playing on your tabletop simulator either! The painting physical models and playing in real life is the drat point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think the place near me does both, pre-arrange the number of people showing to try and make sure everyone can play, but also people hang out and talk because there's an area for painting and gluing stuff and also snacks.

simble
May 11, 2004

RangerScum posted:

I wanted to run Lucius the Eternal in my CSM army but didn't want to use GW's ancient model for him so I printed & painted this up.

This is disgusting.

well done

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

bird food bathtub posted:

Huh, I wondered what the Leviathan deck was all about. I thematically paint my army as Hive Fleet Leviathan so it was a bit confusing, was wondering if it was hive fleet specific rules or something. Didn't look too deep at the cards, I was mostly there for a codex and some paints. I don't have the dedication to be doing tournament-level game play, I mostly want to make sure I have whatever the "official" rules are for showing up at a game store and playing whoever is there.

Though if I'm allowed to put on my old person hat and start yelling at clouds a bit, seems everyone these days wants to organize games ahead of time on Facebook groups, show up, play, then leave. BACK IN MY DAY we would hang out at the store for the day and do whatever, being a part of A COMMUNITY, playing whatever, whenever. God drat kids these days and their interwebs. No I'm not interested in playing on your tabletop simulator either! The painting physical models and playing in real life is the drat point!

As a fellow old person I have actually warmed to this a great deal, because I value my time and I want to know if I am going to be able to get a game before I show up at the store. Using my store's discord means I can know that I'm going to show up at 12, get a game started right away, and not run the risk of sitting around until I get matched with someone at 2:30pm and then have to rush through the game to get home to my kids for dinner. My experience is that people will still hang out to chat and possibly pick up another game, it doesn't really damage the community much.

It also means you can hash out some of the stuff in advance, like 'I have not played for years and I'm bringing my new army, anyone want a fun and casual game where you help me out' as opposed to just ending up playing against a guy who is working on his tournament list and didn't bring anything else so it's that or the bricks.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Huh, I wondered what the Leviathan deck was all about. I thematically paint my army as Hive Fleet Leviathan so it was a bit confusing, was wondering if it was hive fleet specific rules or something.

It's just the random cards of missions and objectives for matched play. It's called the Leviathan deck since it's the one that came with the Leviathan starter box, nothing faction specific.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Working on my Black Templars

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
You don't need the Leviathan deck to play. It's just a bunch of extra missions. I'm not even sure why it's called "matched" play specifically.

All the rules are available online, but I bought the physical rulebook because I am a fellow old, and it is pleasant to read and look at the nice pictures of armies.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The core rules (a PDF of which is available online for free) also contain a basic mission, which is just the default you start here, I start there, let's fight.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The persistent rumor of a full EC book are gaining volume, since we got World Eaters as a faction in 9e after getting DG and 1k Sons in 8th. I imagine that’s when we’ll see a Lucius model, along with a Daemon Fulgrim in plastic.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's once of their worst kept secrets

tapping on the sign again:

Cease to Hope posted:

long-term rumors are that everyone in this thread will die at some point.

most of these rumors are not rumors so much as inane predictions or wish lists

emperor's children as a stand-alone army have been a persistent rumor since the early 2000s, in third edition. they're an obvious direction for expansion, but the rumors are mainly just wishful thinking.

if i were wishlisting, it would be for TS and WE to get some more unique units that aren't just taken from some other warhammer chaos faction. TS have exactly one, and WE have three (and one of those is a weapon swap).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

LEVIATHAN TOURNAMENT COMPANION

NO FIXED MEASUREMENTS

Precisely locked terrain layouts with fixed measurements are not recommended. As well as limiting the variety of terrain organisers may feel permitted to field, such strictures can encourage army construction that plans for guaranteed measurements for the purposes of line of sight, objective control and so on. Furthermore, it can create problematic mid-game situations should players notice their terrain does not meet prescribed limits. When using these layouts, players should ensure they are as close to the illustrated positions as possible, but organisers should avoid mandating precise locations for each piece.
LOL

and furthermore

LMAO

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cease to Hope posted:

emperor's children as a stand-alone army have been a persistent rumor since the early 2000s, in third edition. they're an obvious direction for expansion, but the rumors are mainly just wishful thinking.

if i were wishlisting, it would be for TS and WE to get some more unique units that aren't just taken from some other warhammer chaos faction. TS have exactly one, and WE have three (and one of those is a weapon swap).

I would agree eith you if they hadn't just done the other 3 main god aligned legions. That kinda seals the deal, the only question is when IMHO

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Huh, I wondered what the Leviathan deck was all about. I thematically paint my army as Hive Fleet Leviathan so it was a bit confusing, was wondering if it was hive fleet specific rules or something. Didn't look too deep at the cards, I was mostly there for a codex and some paints.

contrary to what Athas was saying, you probably do want the Leviathan mission deck. all of the rules except what is in the mission deck or the released codices are available online for free, and the single mission in the rules is just a very basic "your first game of 40K" scenario.

most players IME use the leviathan mission pack, drawing cards from it to form the primary mission, or else are using a tournament scenario list that has pre-made sets of three cards to make an interesting game. basically every player will be using the secondary missions from that deck, and expecting you to do the same, unless they're playing a crusade campaign. leviathan mission decks come with two sets of secondary cards, so most players can spot you, but it's nice to be able to read them and understand how they work before you sit down to play.

Wahapedia (which borders on :filez: but is ubiquitous) does have the actual rules that are not on GW's site, including the text of the cards), but using it to play a game of 40K is a pain in the rear end in practice, especially if you're already using your phone to manage your army list, unit stats, or scoring. the secondary cards are very helpful to own.

speaking of the last, get Tabletop Battles if you have a smartphone. It's pretty much a universal standard for score keeping, which is easy to screw up otherwise. Plus it's a free goon project.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

LOL

and furthermore

LMAO

Yeah that's basically why some tourneys use Player Placed Terrain, which of course comes with its own set of problems.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Picture three battle shocked guardsmen dancing on a head of a pin.

Played another 1000 points game and we called it at the end of round 3 because it was getting late. I won on points, but I felt like I was losing the entire time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

I won on points, but I felt like I was losing the entire time.

learning to savor this is the first step towards swarm army enlightenment

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cease to Hope posted:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would agree eith you if they hadn't just done the other 3 main god aligned legions. That kinda seals the deal, the only question is when IMHO
The other rumour I've seen floating around is for more Dark Mechanicum and Iron Warriors flavoured stuff (including Perturabo) that's aligned with Vashtorr. As much as it wouldn't fit with the schedule of one mono-god CSM faction per edition it would honestly makes more sense with the current story events.

I know Heresy is a different game but the fact that they already released sexy snake Fulgrim for Heresy (even if he's a resin character model) during this edition of 40k seems a bit weird on timing if they're also likely to release a plastic version of what is going to basically be the same thing.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Mercurius posted:

The other rumour I've seen floating around is for more Dark Mechanicum and Iron Warriors flavoured stuff (including Perturabo) that's aligned with Vashtorr. As much as it wouldn't fit with the schedule of one mono-god CSM faction per edition it would honestly makes more sense with the current story events.

I know Heresy is a different game but the fact that they already released sexy snake Fulgrim for Heresy (even if he's a resin character model) during this edition of 40k seems a bit weird on timing if they're also likely to release a plastic version of what is going to basically be the same thing.

I dunno that the 30k snake fulgrim is indicative either way, the 30k and 40k teams seem like they're better at coordinating these days, but I wouldn't think that they'd even worry about it for releases that would have years between them.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Cease to Hope posted:

Having been reading back through certain parts of the Horus Heresy books it kind of strikes me how, even though they came before WE as a faction, they also kind of shot themselves pretty heavily in the foot with how they portrayed a lot of the Traitor Legions. Hindsight 20/20 and all that, I guess, but there's so many ways that WE could have gone that aren't really possible if the only canon you're working from is the books that just ended. Of course it can all be retconned, but interesting to see nonetheless.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 9, 2024

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

void-dancers all have fly

long-term rumors are that everyone in this thread will die at some point.

most of these rumors are not rumors so much as inane predictions or wish lists

There were times when gw was sitting on a finished sprue of something for years and years weren't there? That somebody had seen at one point and rumored but it still took a long time to hit shelves.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Absolutely bloody devastated - Finish a Marine for my KT test. Absolutely delighted with it. Go in the garage, shake up the old Satin varnish, spray.

Bubbles everywhere, I think I've picked up a really old can mixed into my others.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Sharkopath posted:

There were times when gw was sitting on a finished sprue of something for years and years weren't there? That somebody had seen at one point and rumored but it still took a long time to hit shelves.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/15/old-world-almanack-this-new-bretonnian-lord-was-sculpted-in-2008/

Gee Dubs posted:

In fact, this Bretonnian Lord on Foot (and his little helper) were actually sculpted back in 2008, but never released... Until now.

As we were writing the new game, someone remembered the miniature and inquired if it was still around. The mould room still had it, but it had never been pressed in rubber as far as we could tell, and they kindly made new master and production moulds so we could release him in metal.

These wacky fellas!

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 9, 2024

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I love noticing his gloves first, thinking, drat, there's something very wrong. And then seeing his hands and it's like ah. At least they match.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The texture paint i was recommended is a lot of fun and actually works perfectly with the binders I bought by accident! Thanks for the help ITT, I painted another guy yesterday and did some bases and I think they came out looking really good by my incredibly low standards. I’ve never been able to do anything even remotely adjacent to visual art successfully - the models I painted as a kid were complete garbage, the splotchy things you often see online - but these guys are at least mostly within the lines, have some shading, and look like they’re stepping in fresh mud. Nowhere near producing anything a hundredth as good as what people post in here but having fun anyway

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

That games day 2009 chaos hero is still one of my favourite old world models

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

I love noticing his gloves first, thinking, drat, there's something very wrong. And then seeing his hands and it's like ah. At least they match.

The model isn't bad apart from the spitting image face.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The gem method in Duncan's Scorpion video has been the standard way of painting eldar gems for decades, that exact method is in the 2nd edition Eldar codex.

It's a good method. Works real well.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Mercurius posted:

They should have made Vashtorr an ascended Kelbor-Hal. It's weird having a standalone chaos god that came out of nowhere and didn't really tie into previous lore.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Grumio posted:

They should have made Vashtorr an ascended Kelbor-Hal. It's weird having a standalone chaos god that came out of nowhere and didn't really tie into previous lore.

Honestly that would have been cool as hell.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Not a true chaos god if you can't take their mark for your squad.

Same goes for Skaven despite Sigmar craming them in there.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Re: dice chat, this just showed up in my youtube recs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilmdkyoSi2Y

Also, I'm gonna be salty if Doomrider isn't in the eventual EC codex

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Shockeh posted:

Absolutely bloody devastated - Finish a Marine for my KT test. Absolutely delighted with it. Go in the garage, shake up the old Satin varnish, spray.

Bubbles everywhere, I think I've picked up a really old can mixed into my others.

:smith:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
That is terribly infortunate

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Got any gloss varnish? I know it helps with frosting, so it might be able to help smooth that out. The painting thread might have some advice too

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Isopropyl alcohol also helps clean up frosting, but you need to be gentle to avoid damaging the layers of paint underneath.

But also a good reminder for everyone to test things on something else before putting it on a model.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I’m just grateful he was the test marine!

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

I had a wonderful OfferUp haul this morning, I got a Tau Kill Team Advance Team Starpulse , a Hammerhead tank and a Gloomspite Gobbapalooza for 50$! This Kill Team Starpulse is published in 2018 so I’m assuming it’s from an early version of KT before Pathfinders were released? I’m probably going to use the tokens and paint the terrain at some point and just have a nice new kit of breachers to build.

This poor guy was moving and was trying to get me to take everything Warhammer he had, not sure if he knew what it all was but I didn’t want and couldn’t afford a Dark Eldar Start Collecting, Fyreslayers Vanguard or the 6 other boxes of random items. Super psyched to build the stuff I got though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Idk if this is quite the same, but I was able to fix frosting from a matte varnish by varnishing it with regular gloss and then using matte again.

Anyway I’m sorry dude, know how it feels.

paperface
Apr 20, 2005

My name's paperface, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Spray varnish usually acts like a lacquer, so another coat should reactivate what's already there and might help to smooth it out a bit. I've had some success doing that in the past when matte or satin varnish has gone white and speckled, while also leaving near a radiator as the second coat dries to try and make sure there's no lingering moisture trapped in there. Might be worth a punt?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Not a true chaos god if you can't take their mark for your squad.

Same goes for Skaven despite Sigmar craming them in there.

skaven can still do it, it's just clan affiliation

stackofflapjacks posted:

This Kill Team Starpulse is published in 2018 so I’m assuming it’s from an early version of KT before Pathfinders were released?

yeah it's just a regular old breacher team

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Kroot come in a box of 16 models but their squad size is 10 or 20. Am I missing something here?