Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hwurmp posted:

poor Patriot, thought about ants & died

I don't get the flamethrower; all I ever see people do is expend a whole fuel tank to kill a charger, or much more often set themselves on fire

A lot of people don't realize they need to aim and try to focus fire on a single leg. Chargers have basically five different HP pools as far as I can tell: body+ tail and all four legs. Once a single pool is depleted the charger dies. The body+tail is beefy while the legs are heavily armored with far lower HP pools. Flamethrower ignores the armor but if you're mainly roasting the body and not focusing on a limb it takes forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

bloodychill posted:

I hope they bring in more type of mechs or customizable mechs. I want to put auto cannons on that thing.

There is at least 1 more type of mech coming, with dual armor piecing cannons on each arm. Single shot rather than bullet hoses, but relatively rapid fire and definitely capable of dealing with chargers and titans by shooting them directly in the face.

Sammus posted:

The flamethrower is bad. It does good damage now, but the complete lack of enemy reactions to fire means you’re never going to hold back the horde.

That's my take on it, too. It doesn't stagger or slow so you've got bugs marching right through the flames and jumping at you as you hose them down. Plus, while the damage isn't bad, you could have killed 99% of the things you killed with a flamethrower faster and safer with either of the call-in machineguns.

Alkydere posted:

A lot of people don't realize they need to aim and try to focus fire on a single leg. Chargers have basically five different HP pools as far as I can tell: body+ tail and all four legs. Once a single pool is depleted the charger dies. The body+tail is beefy while the legs are heavily armored with far lower HP pools. Flamethrower ignores the armor but if you're mainly roasting the body and not focusing on a limb it takes forever.

Yep. Scorcher kills the tail bit in less than 1 magazine if you land your shots, otherwise it's not worth targeting because fleshy bits give severe damage reduction to everything not-explosive (including the semi-auto explosive rifle, which is somehow lacking the explosive modifier). The body is just very inconsistent - even with it visually being a gigantic yellow fleshy crater from repeated rocket hits you'll probably see your shots bounce off it. Plus when you're shooting the sides to hit the body you'll have very limited time as (especially after the patch) it'll be turning to face you quickly. So just shoot one of the legs off like everyone else.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 9, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The new warbond looks sick

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anyone heard of a bug that prevents you from equipping the jetpack strategem? I bought the thing, but can’t see it anywhere. :/

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mechs are fine tbh, if you get killed instantly in one you brought it to the wrong fight.

They're much less useful against the enemy with loads of long range Anti Tank weapons, a truly shocking development.

Can't help but laugh at anyone who was getting owned by rocket devestators and thought being a bigger, slower target was gonna help on that front.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
really loving gets my goat when our team spends 70 percent of our reinforcements just doing sub objectives. finish the main poo poo first! medals are what matters!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Infidelicious posted:

Mechs are fine tbh, if you get killed instantly in one you brought it to the wrong fight.

They're much less useful against the enemy with loads of long range Anti Tank weapons, a truly shocking development.

Can't help but laugh at anyone who was getting owned by rocket devestators and thought being a bigger, slower target was gonna help on that front.

I use it in the same situations I'd use my manned turrets in - when you have clear lines of fire, the enemy is approaching from one general direction, and rockets are not zipping by my face before I call it in. Then you can mow down hordes of rocket devastators and little rocket jerks effortlessly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

really loving gets my goat when our team spends 70 percent of our reinforcements just doing sub objectives. finish the main poo poo first! medals are what matters!

What annoys me is less losing medals but the squads that exhaust all their reinforcements combing the map for samples and then fail the objective, meaning nothing is extracted at all.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fangz posted:

What annoys me is less losing medals but the squads that exhaust all their reinforcements combing the map for samples and then fail the objective, meaning nothing is extracted at all.

you can still extract with the samples even if you fail all the objectives, but only if you time out

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Me and the lads chipped in to get one of our mates a copy for his birthday.

Then he loved it, and we convinced the other 2 who chipped in to grab it as well.

We spent Saturday night as a 4man squad blowing poo poo up and it ruled.

A+++++++++++++++ would Manage Democracy again

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Where's my 45 extra medals though :argh:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Fangz posted:

You do at least get to keep the war medals and supercredits that you find around. But yeah going straight towards the objectives while checking out POI's along the way is how we do it as well.

Although with pubbies if you do beeline the objectives then often one of them (usually by themselves) will call in the extract immediately which is also incredibly annoying.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

also lol mechs are a waste of a slot

people like this shouldn't be allowed to post in this thread

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
just unlocked the second to last page of the main battle
pass…christ everything is so many medals. 340 to unlock the last page???

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

holy poo poo a new helldivers

goodbye $40

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

holy poo poo a new helldivers

goodbye $40

its a real hoot

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It is very easy to just hit da bricks on a bad matchmaking team. Just return to your destroyer after you get shot in the face and see dude take your backpack. If they call a 120 Orbital Barrage on your reinforce beacon just leave. It's like 4 button presses and 3 minutes to get to a different squad.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I'm finding the laser cannon pretty great for killing enemies like spewers and chargers, it works very well against explosive vulnerable weak points and has huge range.

One issue I've had with the mech is I can't mark the map using mouse buttons without firing. Nearly shot a few friends that way and it's definitely a waste of a rocket.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TheMostFrench posted:

I'm finding the laser cannon pretty great for killing enemies like spewers and chargers, it works very well against explosive vulnerable weak points and has huge range.

One issue I've had with the mech is I can't mark the map using mouse buttons without firing. Nearly shot a few friends that way and it's definitely a waste of a rocket.

Lol I lit up one of my friends last night trying to place a point on the minimap. Found that one out the hard way :sweatdrop:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'm getting an error sometimes where my Hellbomb strategem doesn't pop up - most recently at a detection tower. It miiiiiight have something to do with Ion Storms? I'm not sure yet.

Anyone else seeing the same issue?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

raverrn posted:

I'm getting an error sometimes where my Hellbomb strategem doesn't pop up - most recently at a detection tower. It miiiiiight have something to do with Ion Storms? I'm not sure yet.

Just an issue with that poi, you can usually throw it where the fab is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

raverrn posted:

If you mean sometimes the hellbomb strategem just is not there for the research center sub-objective I've had that happen before and figured it was just an annoying bug. 500kg bomb usually takes care of it if you can land it close enough.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Infidelicious posted:

Just an issue with that poi, you can usually throw it where the fab is.

No, sorry. 'Didn't pop up' as in 'Wasn't in my strategem list."

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Yeah that's happened to me. I didn't check if it was in the mission stratagem list before leaving though, so I can't say for certain if it was just an issue at the objective location.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

raverrn posted:

No, sorry. 'Didn't pop up' as in 'Wasn't in my strategem list."

Had this happen to me today with a jammer and bot detector right next door to each other. Took forever waiting on cool downs for orbitals and eagle bombs.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Sorry if this has been asked before but as of a recent patch I seemed to be being constantly auto switched to grenades, without wanting to be. If I throw a stratagem whilst wielding my primary weapon, I’ll be using grenades afterwards.

It doesn’t happen randomly - I.e. I don’t think it’s a problem with my joypad, it just seems to happen after certain actions.

I’m on PS5 if it matters. Anyone else experiencing this?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sammus posted:

The flamethrower is bad. It does good damage now, but the complete lack of enemy reactions to fire means you’re never going to hold back the horde.

you definitely can do this if you and they are in the right spot, i've gotten around 30 kills with one canister before

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Durzel posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but as of a recent patch I seemed to be being constantly auto switched to grenades, without wanting to be. If I throw a stratagem whilst wielding my primary weapon, I’ll be using grenades afterwards.

It doesn’t happen randomly - I.e. I don’t think it’s a problem with my joypad, it just seems to happen after certain actions.

It's a bug, you're not going crazy.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
https://twitter.com/EvacTouch/status/1766138124151775380?t=mLIGacLQ1ms9s-qfWV1HaA&s=19

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah man this game rules.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

love it when you're down to your last reinforcements and you see the pubbie who died 10 times already peel off to go solo a large outpost by themselves

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ijyt posted:

people like this shouldn't be allowed to post in this thread

Love to use an entire slot on a thing that sometimes just blows up for no reason or dies because a rocket hits geometry you could not see 3 seconds after you got into it, and cannot be used again for a full mission.

With my entire group of friends everyone has already decided to not even worry about unlocking it because no one has been able to do anything of worth with them compared to nearly anything else. At best you kill a few hulks or whatever that you would have killed anyway. The MG is nowhere near as useful as it was in Hd1 and the rockets are expended in seconds in most fights.

If the big armored mechs are not intended to help with the biggest firefights than they are not worth it since the answer then is still just run away. A turret can be used for 90% of the stuff a mech is and can be used multiple times in a mission, not just once.

In Hd1 when mech was up the team was essentially safe until it ran out of rockets, and it one shot chargers, so each call down was 20 dead elites. Now it can die hilariously easily and it takes 3-5 rockets to kill a single elite, it's barely worth 5 elite kills, and other things do that better.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oh hell yeah

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are people beelining the main/sub objectives first before going around and mopping up factories and bug holes? We've always planned a route to do all of them at the same time because I figured more spawners would make doing the objectives harder. But we do also run into a lot of trouble on the way more often than not so I could see the benefit to just hoofing it straight to the objective (while taking out any in the immediate path) then if you have time going to do the rest.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Love to use an entire slot on a thing that sometimes just blows up for no reason or dies because a rocket hits geometry you could not see 3 seconds after you got into it, and cannot be used again for a full mission.

With my entire group of friends everyone has already decided to not even worry about unlocking it because no one has been able to do anything of worth with them compared to nearly anything else. At best you kill a few hulks or whatever that you would have killed anyway. The MG is nowhere near as useful as it was in Hd1 and the rockets are expended in seconds in most fights.

If the big armored mechs are not intended to help with the biggest firefights than they are not worth it since the answer then is still just run away. A turret can be used for 90% of the stuff a mech is and can be used multiple times in a mission, not just once.

In Hd1 when mech was up the team was essentially safe until it ran out of rockets, and it one shot chargers, so each call down was 20 dead elites. Now it can die hilariously easily and it takes 3-5 rockets to kill a single elite, it's barely worth 5 elite kills, and other things do that better.

yeah it sucks that the mechs can only kill 4 elites and a bunch of regular troops and can only be called down twice a mission. i've already switched back to the orbital laser for that sweet sweet possibility of killing one charger or maybe a bile titan twice a mission.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Love to use an entire slot on a thing that stomps bugs and shreds the landscape. My entire group of friends got in four and stomped around killing bugs with reckless abandon, laughing at the ocassional teamkill when someone ran their mech into a line of fire. Sounds like a you issue, maybe you're just not wired to enjoy things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

It is very easy to just hit da bricks on a bad matchmaking team. Just return to your destroyer after you get shot in the face and see dude take your backpack.

I wish anyone would ever take my autocannon or recoilless pack for me

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Durzel posted:

Yeah it’s a change with the control mappings for the Quick Grenade button. Hopefully they fix it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I am sorely disappointed in the Exosuit. :colbert:

I used at least 7-8 of them last night during level 7 missions and not once did I blow myself up, or die to enemy attacks. Every Exosuit was left ammoless and abandoned to be chewed up as a distraction as we moved on or ditched to get in the pelican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My experience of the suit was that it temporarily flips the tables and you become the walking death that ploughs through the horde. It felt fun, powerful, and cool.

I can't relate at all to that dour poo poo some other people have said about it.