Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

QuarkJets posted:

Dark Souls 1 is the start of the cycle. The world had an age of dark, and then an age of fire, the game sets you at the end of the age of fire and asks "do you want the next age to be one of dark or one of fire?"

Dark Souls 2 asks the same question after like a thousand more ages that each ended with that same question. As each age ends time and space stretches and warps as reality threatens to break itself, and a new chosen undead must rise and either rekindle the flame or become a new lord of dark.

Dark Souls 3 asks that question again, but after enough chosen undead fail, chosen undead from the past (who had burned to ash after linking the flame) begin to rise as a kind of failsafe in case a whole generation of people suck rear end. But in this game you don't have to link the flame or become a lord of dark, a third option is available. You can steal the fire, gaining control over the fire and the dark simultaneously, breaking the cycle and creating something new.

I thought the Dark Souls series was just an excuse to dress your guy up as Guts from Berserk.

EDIT: Can you also do this in Eldin Ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I beat the ice dog-knight thing and I'm enjoying the game, but I'm still in the weird transition phase where I haven't found a weapon I'm comfortable with yet (using a halberd currently) and my muscle memory and timing is still attuned to Dark Souls 2 so everything feels a lot harder than it needs to be.

Speaking of Dark Souls 2, I've been chasing people around in pvp this evening, with this absolute unit of a character

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Speaking of Dark Souls 2, I've been chasing people around in pvp this evening, with this absolute unit of a character

I wish goons would be more creative than just replicating themselves with character customisation

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

I thought the Dark Souls series was just an excuse to dress your guy up as Guts from Berserk.

EDIT: Can you also do this in Eldin Ring?

Guts with big saggy tits, yeah

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Barudak posted:

Helldivers 2 just reminds me games where you can grind instances for gear in ever escalating player selects difficulty dont really interest me. Oh look the map tileset did this, this time!

Like after a few hours Im good, which is extra funny because I have an insane number of hours in Wild Rift.

It's one of the best coop grind together games I've played. But I'm only ever playing it with friends to not burn myself out on it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ishikabibble posted:

this is true. see: Palworld's baffling popularity

Like I know the Pokemon games have basically been abusing their fanbase with lackluster installments for years but god, that game looks like such an uninspired mess of buzzword game mechanics and asset flip models with no cohesive visual style.

I'm not going to hate on Palworld to sound superior to other people in an internet argument but I played it for like 20 minutes and could instantly see the code behind the matrix and how the game was basically wood object>stone object>copper>gold>platinum>diamond>unobtainium and how that was just repeating and repeating all the way from a pickaxe to a laser gun and i noped out

i mean if seeing the player count drop to 10% of what it was in the cold January months and finding it hilarious makes me an intolerable rear end in a top hat then fine but juts give me this one, i don't get a lot of w's

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm not going to hate on Palworld to sound superior to other people in an internet argument but I played it for like 20 minutes and could instantly see the code behind the matrix and how the game was basically wood object>stone object>copper>gold>platinum>diamond>unobtainium and how that was just repeating and repeating all the way from a pickaxe to a laser gun and i noped out

i mean if seeing the player count drop to 10% of what it was in the cold January months and finding it hilarious makes me an intolerable rear end in a top hat then fine but juts give me this one, i don't get a lot of w's

people spend years trying to find pokemon

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Vic posted:

It's one of the best coop grind together games I've played. But I'm only ever playing it with friends to not burn myself out on it.

Helldivers 2 extremely well designed for co-op play with friends. It goes beyond just being fun to play and is also just plain hilarious. The consequences for dying are so low and everything is so lethal that it just becomes an extended gag that you're probably going to die more from your friends than you are the enemy. Call down a mortar turret? Someone's aaabsolutely dying. Bring a silly little laser drone backpack? Someone's totally going to get half fried when it's panning over to a new target.

Accidentally trip while you're calling in a 500kg bomb and drop it on the ground right where you are? Run oh god.

It really shows the devs have been doing the 'kill-your-friends' genre for like a decade, since Magicka.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

ishikabibble posted:

Helldivers 2 extremely well designed for co-op play with friends. It goes beyond just being fun to play and is also just plain hilarious. The consequences for dying are so low and everything is so lethal that it just becomes an extended gag that you're probably going to die more from your friends than you are the enemy. Call down a mortar turret? Someone's aaabsolutely dying. Bring a silly little laser drone backpack? Someone's totally going to get half fried when it's panning over to a new target.

Accidentally trip while you're calling in a 500kg bomb and drop it on the ground right where you are? Run oh god.

It really shows the devs have been doing the 'kill-your-friends' genre for like a decade, since Magicka.

Section 8 Prejudice was like that, I need to play Helldivers

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

And once you and your friends get over the initial novelty of constant air strikes, and learn how to utilize each one, you can even die creatively. The whole swarm going after me? I tell my friends to call a big one on my location, take all the combat drugs and jump on the beacon. Respawns don't count for the mission points so player's lives are esentially like ammo to be used.

Which is appropriate because the drop pods are artillery shell shaped, and act like one too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yup, just a by the numbers "open world survival craft" with legally distinct from pokemon grafted on. The genre seems to easily attract extremely passionate fanbases for whatever reason, but I guess this one was a bit of a flash in the pan.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That's the problem with only going by first impressions, because the thing that isn't immediately evident about Palworld is that the base automation, which directly integrates into the stolen borrowed Pokemon systems, massively reduces the usual grind that games like Ark and it's ilk suffer from.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SCheeseman posted:

That's the problem with only going by first impressions, because the thing that isn't immediately evident about Palworld is that the base automation, which directly integrates into the stolen borrowed Pokemon systems, massively reduces the usual grind that games like Ark and it's ilk suffer from.

At launch, it was not quite enough automation for me, as you still needed to manually transport materials between stations. Maybe it’s better now?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

did Palworld really tank that hard? Everyone was in an absolute frenzy over it for a bit, I remember wondering why my youtube recs were getting flooded with vids about it. I guess it's another mile wide inch deep game?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There are at the moment 182430 people playing Palworld. I leave the conclusion to you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

did Palworld really tank that hard? Everyone was in an absolute frenzy over it for a bit, I remember wondering why my youtube recs were getting flooded with vids about it. I guess it's another mile wide inch deep game?

Not many people are talking about it but it is still in the top 10 most played games on steam

So I wouldn’t say it tanked at all.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ymgve posted:

There are at the moment 182430 people playing Palworld. I leave the conclusion to you.

the conclusion is that a lot of kids are enjoying playing it with their friends

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

the conclusion is that a lot of kids are enjoying playing it with their friends

That's the ultimate end game of multiplayer so it sounds like the game is a great success

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

https://steamdb.info/app/1623730/charts/#all

It's dipped very hard since its Pokemon killer days of around 2.1 million players, but it seems to have sort of levelled out to about about 170000-ish on average. Still enough to keep it in the Top 10 games being played on Steam, but I'm guessing the developer is going to throw it on the forever early access pile with almost all their other games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If your player numbers dropping by 91% in a month doesn't constitute tanking I dunno what does

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vic posted:

Im only playing with friends as well, but like 4 hours was enough.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

looks like such an uninspired mess of buzzword game mechanics and asset flip models with no cohesive visual style.

:rolleyes:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Not many people are talking about it but it is still in the top 10 most played games on steam

So I wouldn’t say it tanked at all.

It's also not a forever game, you reach a point where you've caught all the bastards and upgraded all the poo poo and it's natural to stop playing. They're adding more stuff but it is not a live service game you're expected to treat like an addiction and play forever.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

ishikabibble posted:

this is true. see: Palworld's baffling popularity

Like I know the Pokemon games have basically been abusing their fanbase with lackluster installments for years but god, that game looks like such an uninspired mess of buzzword game mechanics and asset flip models with no cohesive visual style.

I don't particularly like open world crafting games and it is definitely One Of Those, but it's fairly well made. Legally distinctive looking designs aside though the lass who did the modelling and guy who did the animating did a really good job making the creatures look and act in a really appealing way.

What gets me is that the devs clearly did not know the vibe the game they were making had so you have dumb realistic looking guns and stupidly out of character UI elements and Pal descriptions. "The bastard got away!" when you fail a capture and descriptions of Pals that wind up reading like "THIS PAL KILLS ANYONE WHO LOOKS AT IT AND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE GENOCIDE OF AN ENTIRE CULTURE, ALSO IT LIVES IN YOUR NIGHTMARES FOR A THOUSAND YEARS"

Like Pokémon had some sinister concepts but Palworld can be some edgy 14 year old poo poo

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

QuarkJets posted:

Dark Souls 3 asks that question again, but after enough chosen undead fail, chosen undead from the past (who had burned to ash after linking the flame) begin to rise as a kind of failsafe in case a whole generation of people suck rear end. But in this game you don't have to link the flame or become a lord of dark, a third option is available. You can steal the fire, gaining control over the fire and the dark simultaneously, breaking the cycle and creating something new.

Hot sad take on Dark Souls 3: As someone who suffers from occasional suicidal ideation I vibe with Dark Souls 3 the best because it feels like it gets me. Not trying to be super sad uwu snowflake because it's a Thing I Deal With but it's very rare the vibe you get from a game world is one where it's actually genuinely just tired and wants it to be over with. Practically everyone is miserable and broken down and the ending where you try to push it forwards into the same old routine is the saddest one. There's a video essay somewhere that sums it up incredibly well but I picked up on it from the get go and it's left me fascinated with that particular entry over all the others.

Elden Ring I chose the worst ending because I had no idea why people would actually want to live in a world as miserable as The Lands Between. Even with Waifu McPlotterson begging me not to because people still Live Laugh Love I couldn't help but want it all gone because you don't actually get to see anything other than just pure suffering wherever you go

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Songbearer posted:

I don't particularly like open world crafting games and it is definitely One Of Those, but it's fairly well made. Legally distinctive looking designs aside though the lass who did the modelling and guy who did the animating did a really good job making the creatures look and act in a really appealing way.

What gets me is that the devs clearly did not know the vibe the game they were making had so you have dumb realistic looking guns and stupidly out of character UI elements and Pal descriptions. "The bastard got away!" when you fail a capture and descriptions of Pals that wind up reading like "THIS PAL KILLS ANYONE WHO LOOKS AT IT AND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE GENOCIDE OF AN ENTIRE CULTURE, ALSO IT LIVES IN YOUR NIGHTMARES FOR A THOUSAND YEARS"

Like Pokémon had some sinister concepts but Palworld can be some edgy 14 year old poo poo

Whenever I heard (past tense) anyone talking about it they seemed really jazzed about the juxtaposition of cutesy pokeyman designs and edgelord poo poo like shooting them with a gun until they're extinct or making them work in your sweatshop, so I guess this worked out for them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edgelord poo poo like a guy who kills souls with a sword and lives in depressed purgatory

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If your player numbers dropping by 91% in a month doesn't constitute tanking I dunno what does

But isn't that the trend for nearly every game? Most people move on to other things within a month. Palworld doesn't have competitve multiplayer or seasons or anything so of course it won't be a forever game like fortnite or dota.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Khanstant posted:

edgelord poo poo like a guy who kills souls with a sword and lives in depressed purgatory

I think you're mixing up edgelord and blademaster, easy mistake.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its still the most game played out there. Oh there are only a quarter of a million people still playing it. Who cares? They are having fun playing it, let them have fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think an edgelord commands several blademasters who in turn command several everyday carry dudes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

I think an edgelord commands several blademasters who in turn command several everyday carry dudes.

What in the gently caress does that mean?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

But isn't that the trend for nearly every game? Most people move on to other things within a month. Palworld doesn't have competitve multiplayer or seasons or anything so of course it won't be a forever game like fortnite or dota.

Yeah but other games are good

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah but other games are good

I think you and I have differing opinions about good games

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

man I just realized I hate both of your avatars so much

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think you and I have differing opinions about good games

gratz on being one of the 9%

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

man I just realized I hate both of your avatars so much

Yeah, well, I didn't buy it but I will represent Ronnie no question

JollyBoyJohn posted:

gratz on being one of the 9%

I'm ok with that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
palworld is the equivalent of the glasgow willy wonka experience except those customers were smart enough to demand their money back

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Hot sad take on Dark Souls 3: As someone who suffers from occasional suicidal ideation I vibe with Dark Souls 3 the best because it feels like it gets me. Not trying to be super sad uwu snowflake because it's a Thing I Deal With but it's very rare the vibe you get from a game world is one where it's actually genuinely just tired and wants it to be over with. Practically everyone is miserable and broken down and the ending where you try to push it forwards into the same old routine is the saddest one. There's a video essay somewhere that sums it up incredibly well but I picked up on it from the get go and it's left me fascinated with that particular entry over all the others.

Elden Ring I chose the worst ending because I had no idea why people would actually want to live in a world as miserable as The Lands Between. Even with Waifu McPlotterson begging me not to because people still Live Laugh Love I couldn't help but want it all gone because you don't actually get to see anything other than just pure suffering wherever you go

Same

I felt seen in DS1. Sad guy telling you theres no point. Doing it despite it. It's definitely there on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

JollyBoyJohn posted:

palworld is the equivalent of the glasgow willy wonka experience except those customers were smart enough to demand their money back

I think you drank fuzzy lifting drink