Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Been playing a bit more Cait and y'know I really like how this cat feels. He's got one of the more fleshed out control schemes and although he's kinda weird he's also pretty versatile. And I guess in general I really enjoy the play style of deciding between getting buffed up attacks with your moogle (including buffed up atb moves) or just letting it run about as a 4th AI party member taking some heat while you play a bit more conservatively. Only real issue are his super simple synergy abilities.

Crazy that even with this wacky oddball character they've managed to convert him into a action rpg moveset really well. I'm very impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Frankston posted:

Hmm it's really loving lame that you can't complete all the Corel protorelic stuff until chapter 12. I've spent ages running around the whole map trying to find the last two objectives until I gave up and googled it.

Does it say anything like "you'll have to come back later" and I just missed it or is it just really poo poo game design.

When you beat #2, Kid G tells you that the next trial will take some time to setup while he trains up the next batch of guardians and that he'll give you a call when it's ready. I went back to Corel before moving on to Chapter 10 and nothing happened on that front, so I figured I'd get that call whenever it's supposed to happen and not worry about it til then. I am annoyed that I can't just do it now, though.

Beat Chocobo Glide earlier tonight and while I think situps were worse, this one was also pretty bad. I have no idea what I did differently on my final run that got me to the higher of the two final targets that I wasn't doing on previous attempts. Outside of slightly changing the camera angle, does holding ascend from neutral slow your horizontal movement at all? Do brief repeated ascents give any benefit as opposed to just gliding in neutral? Aside from missing the final targets, I think the most frustrating thing for me was bumping into the bottom of the 500pt target projectors and still missing the target somehow. There's barely any space between them, poo poo shouldn't even be possible. At least it, like situps, is done and I never have to touch it again... until the complete edition comes out. :shepicide:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Vanrushal posted:

When you beat #2, Kid G tells you that the next trial will take some time to setup while he trains up the next batch of guardians and that he'll give you a call when it's ready.

Ah that's on me then, I must have completely glossed over him saying that.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Game is real fun. It does feel jarring when I hit a point that annoys me, like a particular mini game or driving the buggy (I much prefer the chocobos), since everything else is great. I guess that's the downside to the let's try everything approach of the game.

I have Cait Sith in my party now and I'm really struggling to settle on a 3rd group member. CS is a lot of fun, but feels like he has substantial ramp up time compared to even Aerith. Yuffie feels locked in as my second permanent member.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Frankston posted:

How in the actual gently caress do I "defeat the enemy without getting swallowed"?

I can be running around and spamming the dodge button in random directions but that fucker just auto-homes in on me and swallows me

Dodge the attack when it gets near you, don't just slam dodge randomly as soon as it announces the attack

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Finally, did the drat ab workout after turning off the haptics and just being careful on the hold prompts.

It was all worth it for that precious ab-fab trophy

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
LMAO the enemies can hit Cait Sith's die as well and cause it to roll more

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

My interpretation (at the same point in the game as you) regarding the whispers stuff is that OG Aerith has some influence over the lifestream which manifests as white whispers, like how the black ones are Sephiroth-controlled. I think Remake's may have been Jenova-"infested" lifestream whispers, and that we excised Jenova's influence in the end of Remake. This enabled "pure" non-Jenova'd Sephiroth to take the reins, for better or worse.

But I have no idea what to make of Remake-Aerith's orb being empty, or the two timelines in general.

Maybe if the planet succeeds Cloud's world will become like Zack's, pulling the FFXIV Shadowbringers's plot of having too much of one thing is still bad for everyone. One of the reason I'm holding out hope is that it feels like ever since FF7 Square spent a lot of time trying to flesh out Sephiroth's character to not make him some Kefka-like complete monster. Like he has his own warped way of doing things but with the introduction of Glen it seems weird that a guy who seemed genuinely good and decent (I never played the game he's in but I read a plot synopsis and it read like he was a good fellow) would act all insidious in this game. So them playing up and Sephiroth acting the part may be setting up some subversive element later on. All these characters only know Sephiroth as some cold-blooded psycho that has no regard for human life so they're assuming he only means harm. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part since I really don't need a retread of the original's plot. Remake's whole deal was you were defying destiny as the planet saw it and since you did, like I mentioned before, the planet needed another avenue of course-correcting.

I enjoy the speculation but there's a little creeping fear in me that they may just retread the same ground and I'd just find that disappointing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

Having finally cleared enough space on my PS5 for Rebirth, I have a question-should I play through Remake to get that save carry-over stuff or just watch an LP (probably Chip's) for context and then jump into Rebirth?

You can make a save for the carryover as soon as you have control in the game.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ope here I am playing Queen's Blood again

when's the real set gonna come out Square

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What has the game forgotten to explain about Rude & Elena in Chapter 12? They have a cutscene attack that just unavoidably kills the party unless they're all on close to max health. Right before it they use something called "Turks Vengeance" so I assume it's a counter but if it is then how do you stop the AI party from triggering it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The moogle chasing minigame did not need a time limit added to it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IIRC their assess sort of implies you can stagger them out of it with big attacks while they are charging it up and put them in pressure but I don't recall ever actually being able to pull that off. The real answer is probably to focus elena down since they both have to be up to do it

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god I have never seen a setpiece in a video game backfire more spectacularly than what comes after that Turks fight. loving hell at more or less any other point in the game I would loving love this but at this point in this context and with a loving health checkpoint it is the worst thing I have seen in the game so far except maybe the crunch minigame. How did they bungle this so completely

E: like mother of gently caress at least add it to the checkpoint when I use the menu to mainline potions beforehand so I don't have to keep loving redoing that every time I have to retry the fight or better yet just put a full heal before the loving climactic duel come the gently caress on this is not rocket game design your one job is not to make spectacular setpieces feel miserable to play through

Fedule fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 9, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah it's bad. Once you learn to do the one thing the game wants in that fight and nothing else it's tolerable on its face (assuming you got checkpointed with HP that doesn't quasi soft lock you :shepface:) but as you said there are a lot of other factors in the mix upping the unpleasantness to probably the peak of the whole game

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Who the hell told Mitsuko Suzuki and Masashi Hamauzu that they could give Gus his own bitchin' theme song and then somehow make it even better with the Type Zero battle version, because I want to shake their hand and thank them

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Like to be clear this is, on paper, in isolation, probably the best encounter in the game so far (unless you ding it a couple points for being a repeat from Remake, because one of this game's weird flaws is its slavish fear of not bringing absolutely everything from Remake back). This should be a high point. Nothing in all of video games is a bigger game design failure than turning your high point into a low. They went for something, they really went for it hard, and they planted all their faces through the dirt and into hell.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fedule posted:

Oh my god I have never seen a setpiece in a video game backfire more spectacularly than what comes after that Turks fight. loving hell at more or less any other point in the game I would loving love this but at this point in this context and with a loving health checkpoint it is the worst thing I have seen in the game so far except maybe the crunch minigame. How did they bungle this so completely

E: like mother of gently caress at least add it to the checkpoint when I use the menu to mainline potions beforehand so I don't have to keep loving redoing that every time I have to retry the fight or better yet just put a full heal before the loving climactic duel come the gently caress on this is not rocket game design your one job is not to make spectacular setpieces feel miserable to play through

Can you spoiler tag what you're referring to specifically? I don't remember what was so bad, assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about.

I had maybe 3-4 really challenging fights in the entire game on dynamic difficulty where I was ripping through potions, but it was mostly because I had to survive while figuring out the gimmick and learn timings to eventually abuse stuff like Cloud's punisher block + plasma discharge. I game over'ed four times in the entire game IIRC and two of those weren't even in regular battles.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

triple sulk posted:

Can you spoiler tag what you're referring to specifically? I don't remember what was so bad, assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about.

I had maybe 3-4 really challenging fights in the entire game on dynamic difficulty where I was ripping through potions, but it was mostly because I had to survive while figuring out the gimmick and learn timings to eventually abuse stuff like Cloud's punisher block + plasma discharge. I game over'ed four times in the entire game IIRC and two of those weren't even in regular battles.

It's the rufus fight at the end of gold saucer wrestlemania sequence in chapter 12. Honestly I think a large part of how badly it sets people off or not is the basically random factor of the HP you go into it with. If you happen to start at full HP you can likely bungle through it without that much friction, if you start at like 40% or lower have fun

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ImpAtom posted:

I think it helps that they clearly know what parts of FF7 were the most memorable to people and were dedicated to capturing those parts in some form. The inclusion of Test 0 alone is such an immensely obscure in-joke.

Holy gently caress I just read up on this and that is loving amazing, I love when they go all out on obscure callbacks like that.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's the rufus fight at the end of gold saucer wrestlemania sequence in chapter 12. Honestly I think a large part of how badly it sets people off or not is the basically random factor of the HP you go into it with. If you happen to start at full HP you can likely bungle through it without that much friction, if you start at like 40% or lower have fun

Oh yeah, okay, I thought you might be talking about something else. That fight sucks and was one of the aforementioned challenging ones. I didn't die on it, but I sure as poo poo burned a lot of items. It doesn't help that the whole sequence around it just goes on for loving ever, even if it kicks rear end at the same time. The punisher blocking never really clicked with me through most of the game until I tried to force it starting around that time, but that and plasma discharge are probably your best friend along with the steadfast block for ATB generation.

Honestly I'm terrified to do most of this stuff on hard because I think it'll be way more difficult than Remake. I expect it to partially turn into the Bahamut fight where you had to use an extremely specific strategy to beat it in a few minutes, unless you were okay with hopefully grinding out a 45 minute win.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ah, so you already went and beat all the Gold Saucer's hard mode challenges when they became available! Well gently caress you, beat them again, to beat this guy's high score, which you have already beaten, because we absolutely do not understand when either a gimmick or a character has outlasted its welcome by a factor of three!

Highs and lows in this game, I tell you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Man I’m a big loving baby at the Gold Saucer with Aerith on our outing at the Event Square, with this super good arrangement of her theme playing while they talk about Jessie. Eyes definitely got a little misty.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I got Barret as my date and didn't mind, really fleshed out his character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm in Chapter 11 and I have a few sidequests in the last two regions I haven't done yet. Everyone is at 4/5 relationship at the moment. If I'm going for a specific character's scenes should I just ignore those sidequests until later unless they involve that character?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Game of the loving year.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Arist posted:

I'm in Chapter 11 and I have a few sidequests in the last two regions I haven't done yet. Everyone is at 4/5 relationship at the moment. If I'm going for a specific character's scenes should I just ignore those sidequests until later unless they involve that character?

Yes. You want whoever's scenes you want to see highest going into chapter 12 (the game will warn you exactly when), then after that sequence you're free to do anything you skipped

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Condor level 4 is annoying as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

If you got a free full heal it would make an already easy fight trivial on Hard Mode.

Also like 'I have to use a potion' being 'bungled completely' is bewildering to me. Like 'there are multiple boss fights in a row and you don't get a free full heal between each one is such a basic video game thing I'm not sure why it is giving you so much trouble. I could understand if you were locked ala FFT into that specific fight but even if you lose you can choose to backtrack if you REALLY find yourself stuck.

Like The Rufus fight has one noteworthy gimmick, that you have to wait to attack him until he's vulnerable, but almost all of his attacks can be avoided and the few that can't do very small amounts of damage unless you're not blocking. Once you actually damage him you can chain combo him for tons of damage as long as you're keeping an eye on his animations and avoiding his counterattack. Even on Hard Mode you can get him down to the Dark Nation phase in like 2-3 combos, and if you're able to time Braver property to insta-stagger him then you can do it in 1.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 9, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Oh madame m has some kaiser Wilhelm hand thing going on lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Spoiler it if you feel the need but what's the gimmick of Hard Mode in this game? Remake you couldn't use the benches or Ether so it was a game of MP management (which, if you played Persona, felt similar). Or did they drop that in favor of harder battles and such?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Spoiler it if you feel the need but what's the gimmick of Hard Mode in this game? Remake you couldn't use the benches or Ether so it was a game of MP management (which, if you played Persona, felt similar). Or did they drop that in favor of harder battles and such?

Same basic gimmick. Items are disabled entirely. Benches and the ilk only restore HP unless you're using a for-pay inn or a cushion on a Chocobo Bench. Enemies are harder (and I think more aggressive) but the bulk of it is just that you have to do the game's dungeon areas with limited resources and you can't just use a billion mist potions to brute force your way through any fight.

Edit: Limited MP hurts a lot less in Rebirth since you have so many more non-MP options. Healing is probably the biggest limiter and Prayer/Chakra materia are plentiful.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 9, 2024

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Jimbot posted:

It's the same, I'm pretty sure

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just found the HP <-> MP Materia and lmao this is way funnier than how it worked in the original game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arist posted:

Just found the HP <-> MP Materia and lmao this is way funnier than how it worked in the original game

have you discovered any fun things you can do with it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I feel like it is entirely in the game as a troll.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I said come in! posted:

have you discovered any fun things you can do with it?

Not really, I'm mainly just referring to the fact that your MP is much lower in Rebirth so you end up with two-digit HP while your MP isn't capped at three digits anymore so Yuffie now has 4k MP

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arist posted:

Not really, I'm mainly just referring to the fact that your MP is much lower in Rebirth so you end up with two-digit HP while your MP isn't capped at three digits anymore so Yuffie now has 4k MP

Gotcha! I was hoping it was more than just a troll materia. It was pretty funny when I got my first one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, and aside from like maybe wanting to do nothing but cast comet 24/7 there's no actual use case for it, since having 80 HP means you're going to die to a swift breeze and need to be constantly revived and the highest end spells cost like 50 MP at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, and aside from like maybe wanting to do nothing but cast comet 24/7 there's no actual use case for it, since having 80 HP means you're going to die to a swift breeze and need to be constantly revived and the highest end spells cost like 50 MP at most.

And you could just link a synergy materia to comet and have aerith spamming it for free for the entire duration of every fight instead