Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

the bad thing he does is put her brain in her moms body i do not dispute that he did a bad thing i dispute that this bad thing is intended to be a critique of misogynist society

given that he is otherwise portrayed as a mad scientist and the tutor suggests the police could be called on him for what he did i think its reasonable to assume that putting baby brains in women bodies is not considered socially acceptable behavior in this setting

*crakcs knuckles*

i am watching a movie that might be considered experimental

oh no my glenn greenwaldian contrarian behavior is activating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

So some of you are describing the idea of Familiar Marriages, what the Victorians called “romance’s rival” - a marriage done out of Storge, Philia or Agape, rather than Eros. Marrying someone to take care of them was considered perfectly valid by the Victorians.

But is that what’s happening at the end? Is Mark Ruffalo acting out of Storge, empathetic love and caring, without a sexual component that would sully it? I would say not very likely.

That casts a shadow on the marriage as a happy ending, in the comedic tradition. Is the character reconciled by putting his sexual desire aside and pursuing marriage out of unselfish love? If not, there’s no real reconciliation, is there?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

why didnt she just put dafoes brain in her husbands body

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

So some of you are describing the idea of Familiar Marriages, what the Victorians called “romance’s rival” - a marriage done out of Storge, Philia or Agape, rather than Eros. Marrying someone to take care of them was considered perfectly valid by the Victorians.

But is that what’s happening at the end? Is Mark Ruffalo acting out of Storge, empathetic love and caring, without a sexual component that would sully it? I would say not very likely.

That casts a shadow on the marriage as a happy ending, in the comedic tradition. Is the character reconciled by putting his sexual desire aside and pursuing marriage out of unselfish love? If not, there’s no real reconciliation, is there?

this is what i mean when i say the satire of the allegory only really works on the personal rather than the political level theres not any technical reason presented as to why a marriage is necessary and legally speaking its not entirely clear what was going on with the initial ceremony since bella isnt actually a person as in theres no record that she rather than her mother exists

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Fellatio del Toro posted:

why didnt she just put dafoes brain in her husbands body

handwavy speculation: need a young brain to adapt to the new body

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Nichael posted:

true blood is called true blood because it's a true story

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
his name actually is William Dafoe

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
they named the guy who plays the villain a lot Dafoe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

drat ye! Let Neptune strike ye dead Winslow! HAAARK!
Hark Triton, hark! Bellow, bid our father the Sea King rise from the depths full foul in his fury! Black waves teeming with salt foam to smother this young mouth with pungent slime, to choke ye, engorging your organs til' ye turn blue and bloated with bilge and brine and can scream no more - only when he, crowned in cockle shells with slitherin' tentacle tail and steaming beard take up his fell be-finned arm, his coral-tine trident screeches banshee-like in the tempest and plunges right through yer gullet, bursting ye - a bulging bladder no more, but a blasted bloody film now and nothing for the harpies and the souls of dead sailors to peck and claw and feed upon only to be lapped up and swallowed by the infinite waters of the Dread Emperor himself - forgotten to any man, to any time, forgotten to any god or devil, forgotten even to the sea, for any stuff for part of Winslow, even any scantling of your soul is Winslow no more, but is now itself the sea!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Urkel.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The thing about the comedy of Urkel is you can't just be an average Joe to get the intricacies of the satire. Urkel often is styled in an almost "recursive" fashion, as each scene is layered with callbacks and narrative revelations that can be casually enjoyed, but cannot be truly admired without a disciplined study of the form. Urkel is a masterclass in wit. Each scene's inner-workings are crafted by artisans who have honed their craft for years. To understand Urkel is to be left with the question as to if Urkel really did "do that?"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Oglethorpe posted:

*crakcs knuckles*

it's not even particularly experimental. it's a pretty straightforward allegory, told comically, like tons of stories.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Oglethorpe posted:

*crakcs knuckles*

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

you keep bringing up society and the state but we dont actually see society or the state doing anything we see mark ruffalo and the husband act as if society and the state are behind them but mark ruffalo isnt backed up by anyone and the husband just uses his gun

This guy sincerely doesn't understand how a character that called The General could be representative of The State

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
it's all very tedious

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Ya I'm done.gas

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bostonposting about American Fiction: knowing where all the Boston stuff was was kind of funny bc at the beginning of the movie Monk takes a plane to Boston and steps out into the sunlight to catch a cab, at Paper Source on Beacon Street in Coolidge Corner, Brookline, MA. He got a plane to fly him directly to a fancy stationary store in a bougie neighborhood

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

they named the guy who plays the villain a lot Dafoe.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Nichael posted:

The thing about the comedy of Urkel is you can't just be an average Joe to get the intricacies of the satire. Urkel often is styled in an almost "recursive" fashion, as each scene is layered with callbacks and narrative revelations that can be casually enjoyed, but cannot be truly admired without a disciplined study of the form. Urkel is a masterclass in wit. Each scene's inner-workings are crafted by artisans who have honed their craft for years. To understand Urkel is to be left with the question as to if Urkel really did "do that?"

Been saying this 👆👆👆👆👆

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

"she's no different than the chicken dog"

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

is there a term for the slow camera zoom where the focal point doesn't change? i've seen it before i think in 60s/70s/80s movies

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It's time to give us Young Urkel.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Oglethorpe posted:

is there a term for the slow camera zoom where the focal point doesn't change? i've seen it before i think in 60s/70s/80s movies

dolly zoom?
this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eO_5q5dR9M

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

not that, no i was afraid it would be interpreted like that. more like a wide angle lens just zooming in, or a regular lens doing the same, in the same movie, but consistently and sometimes with a background score. a repetition of zoom ins and sometimes outs

Poor Things does it quite a lot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Redezga posted:

It's time to give us Young Urkel.

Nah, clearly we need Old Urkel

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Into the Urkelverse

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ymgve posted:

Into the Urkelverse

Old Urkel travels back in time to kidnap Young Urkel and brain-switch them so he can live forever, inadvertently causing a time paradox (s5e14, 1997, 3.5 stars on IMDb)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife never watched Family Matters and didn't believe me when I told her how off-the-wall wacky it got with Urkel inventions, so she looked up a list of Worst Family Matters Episodes and they were indistinguishable from parody

The only one on the list I remembered clearly was the one where Carl throws a party for the top brass to schmooze his way to a promotion and it gets ruined by Urkel's music-activated gunpowder invention going wrong. Jordan Peele could have made that up for laughs but nope it's real and I watched it as a kid

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oglethorpe posted:

not that, no i was afraid it would be interpreted like that. more like a wide angle lens just zooming in, or a regular lens doing the same, in the same movie, but consistently and sometimes with a background score. a repetition of zoom ins and sometimes outs

Poor Things does it quite a lot

yes thats called a slow zoom

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The Urkelverse starts colliding into the Sonicverse because Jaleel White was also Sonic the Hedgehog in the 90's

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

This guy sincerely doesn't understand how a character that called The General could be representative of The State

is the important part of the generals character that he wears medals and carries a gun or his absurdly extreme disinterest and disbelief about anything else thats happened in the movie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I miss the old Urkel
straight from the go Urkel

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

is the important part of the generals character that he wears medals and carries a gun or his absurdly extreme disinterest and disbelief about anything else thats happened in the movie

shut up bitch

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

your misogynist language is troubling please stop representing institutional patriarchy with your mean spirited words

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

You are a bad op for this thread if this is your genuine reaction to "the man who is referred to as The General can be read as a stand-in for Society at large"

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

You are a bad op for this thread if this is your genuine reaction to "the man who is referred to as The General can be read as a stand-in for Society at large"

you can read the general any way you like we could also read him as representing british military intractability during the boer war or gunboat diplomacy or the classical stiff upper lip countenance of imperial british culture

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont agree that she has an intuitive understanding of material conditions because shes almost completely insulated from personal consequences even after she leaves the house her behavior is tolerated and even encouraged by nearly everyone she meets because shes a well dressed attractive white woman

Honk honk this guy is dumb

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

you can read the general any way you like we could also read him as representing british military intractability during the boer war or gunboat diplomacy or the classical stiff upper lip countenance of imperial british culture

I think he's an insurance salesman who is best friend with Shaq O'NEAL and so he represents bad jokes that are good memes, which is Poor Things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So you're telling me this baby brain is a metaphor? Wtf, no way