Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
America can be fun in small doses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rad-daddio posted:

America can be fun in small doses.

Just like crystal meth, another cultural artifact from America.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
Euros loving love america and always will.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ninja turtles is the best ongoing media franchise

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
There will be more Star Wars movies, and they will somehow continue to get worse.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Car Hater posted:

I had to bottom out to quit weed for good and now every time I'm around it my mind boggles at how I could normalize it

Truth: weed smoke fuckin stinks, not the same as cigarettes but just as bad in a different way. Everyone around you knows, you're not being paranoid, they just don't want to rock the boat by confronting you about being a gross stoner.

This is so loving true. I'm almost a month free of perfidious cannabis, and its been a lotta :stare: moments when I remembered how I was obviously very, very high and people just let it slide

bradzilla posted:

It's also not even a very good high

Also this. Plus it fucks with your sleep, just like cigarettes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

counterfeitsaint posted:

:hmmyes:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

While weed puts me to sleep hard, I find I don't dream and I don't actually get a good sleep. my body is more rested but my brain is tired, if that makes sense.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

weed blasts rear end everyone. sorry you had to hear it from me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You're not covering up the vodka smell with gum, Janet.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

it was originally Nazi fuel. maybe america got that along with the rocket scientists in operation paperclip.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rad-daddio posted:

it was originally Nazi fuel. maybe america got that along with the rocket scientists in operation paperclip.
Coincidentally determining "how do I make stimulants out of random stuff I find in chemical plant drains" to be fair.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

americans have a rich, diverse and varied culture, and america is the birthplace of some of the best cuisines on earth

the merging of Pueblo food, the food the conquistadors brought with them on their dumbass ill-fated journeys into the interior of New Mexico before Mexico existed, and the eventual introduction of stuff like tomatoes from Mexico created one of the best of them all

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme

Time_pants posted:

Your first paragraph is some temporal whataboutism. Plus, it kind of ignores how Zoomers are absolutely hosed as resources grow more scarce and wealth and power become increasingly concentrated among a few plutocrats. What else? OH RIGHT! And the fact that the planet is melting, disasters and extreme weather are becoming increasingly common, and rising sea levels are going to displace millions over the next 50 years, and rising temperatures are going to make food increasingly scarce.

But yeah I guess it's not the bubonic plague.

Yeah, I was going to say, most estimates predict we have less than 12 years to stop climate change before a series of irreversible dominoes start to fall.

Scientific American and NPR reported we have 11 years and these articles were written in 2021:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/theres-still-time-to-fix-climate-about-11-years/

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/04/1052...2C%20in%20China's%20Shandong%20province%2C%20in%202019.,-China%20is%20set

This press release from the UN predicts we have 16 years and it was written in 2019.

https://press.un.org/en/2019/ga1213...ns%20by%202020.

In addition, 80% of our oceans have been fully exploited, over exploited, or depleted from over-fishing. Without change, all of our oceans will be depleted of fish by the year 2048.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/seafood-biodiversity

There is a great deal of ignorance, apathy, and denial about all of it from most people and governments. So I think the pessimism is warranted. I don't think people want to hear the truth that a series of catastrophic environmental disasters are quickly approaching and we've done precious little to turn this around.

Edit: another good reason to eat a plant based diet. <3

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 9, 2024

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
Animals are sentient and intelligent. We no longer require them for our nutritional or caloric needs. Therefore torturing them and killing them for our tastbuds is immoral.

Animal agriculture cuts down forests for farming and produces methane that is more damaging to global warming than CO2 over the long period.

One of the best things each of us can do to prevent global warming is to go vegan.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ulillinguist posted:

One of the best things each of us can do to prevent global warming is to go vegan.

I'm not gonna tho.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Ulillinguist posted:

Animals are sentient and intelligent. We no longer require them for our nutritional or caloric needs. Therefore torturing them and killing them for our tastbuds is immoral.

Animal agriculture cuts down forests for farming and produces methane that is more damaging to global warming than CO2 over the long period.

lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ulillinguist posted:

yeah but other animals taste good

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Pajser posted:

Euros loving love america and always will.

Can confirm it's loving crazy when I visited Ireland how many of them have a positive view of America.

Obama visiting there really did a number on them We visited that loving gas station.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Americans are very much the executive decision children of a few countries that try to disown it

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
how can the oceans be empty if we havent even been to the bottom, huh?

Just fish deeper!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m not american but i like visiting there, even though i see it as a doomed poisonous broken country. there’s a lot of cool people and places, hope y’all can sort it out

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ulillinguist posted:

With you till the veganism conclusion. There are enough backflips getting enough micronutrients that it would cause agricultural risk and supply chain stress if it was unanimous. Realpolitik compromise is eating eggs and milk is a simple agricultural resiliency release valve and simple source of nutrients that don't exist or are in annoying concentrations in plants and we could make the stringy old hens and retired milk cows available for the incorrigible meat eaters.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Ulillinguist posted:

Have you considered free-range cannibalism?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

not even close
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRLML36HnzU

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Speaking on some realistic mess... The half of y'all were probably full blown speds back on the day.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Speaking on some realistic mess... The half of y'all were probably full blown speds back on the day.

you run livestreams where you can't figure out how to drive cars and mumble

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I love eating meat. I also understand that animals suffer, have fear and feel pain. If I were ideologically consistent I would be at the very least vegetarian, but like all people, I'm not.

And yes, veganism or vegetarianism would be best for the planet. Though there are some crops that are better than others and getting people on board would be almost impossible.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

MrQwerty posted:

you run livestreams where you can't figure out how to drive cars and mumble

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Ulillinguist posted:

Counter point. The world is a meat grinder and we're all going in, and we all turn the handle a bit each day.

Tell me sir, do you drink coffee or consume chocolate? Ever purchase a gemstone?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

dervival posted:

Have you considered free-range cannibalism?

have you ever considered free-range mannibalism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZYM7uIzu4A

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Speaking on some realistic mess...

hey, glad you found something you can speak from real experience on!

MrQwerty posted:

have you ever considered free-range mannibalism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZYM7uIzu4A

tried it, gave me a tummyache

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Okay fine, but monster mash was ‘62, this was ‘56

https://youtu.be/7kGPhpvqtOc

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The hardcore "bloodmouth carnists are all murderers who are ruining the planet and I'm going to tell you about it" types aren't going to change their behavior anymore than any of the rest of us. The entire world could go vegan tomorrow and within a month those same people would be attacking others for being so profoundly selfish as to consume things like avocados and almonds. It's just as much, if not more so, about the sense of moral superiority as anything else.

We don't "need" to eat meat at all. We also don't "need" to watch TV, travel vast distances to see other parts of the world, or post on dead gay comedy forums, all of which is wasteful and causes harm.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Ulillinguist posted:

One of the best things each of us can do to prevent global warming is to go .

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

The hardcore "bloodmouth carnists are all murderers who are ruining the planet and I'm going to tell you about it" types aren't going to change their behavior anymore than any of the rest of us. The entire world could go vegan tomorrow and within a month those same people would be attacking others for being so profoundly selfish as to consume things like avocados and almonds. It's just as much, if not more so, about the sense of moral superiority as anything else.

We don't "need" to eat meat at all. We also don't "need" to watch TV, travel vast distances to see other parts of the world, or post on dead gay comedy forums, all of which is wasteful and causes harm.

there's no ethical consumption under capitalism

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I got kind of annoyed when I say something about sustainability and avoiding bringing harm to animals, and they ask if I'm a vegan, I say yes, and they say "Of course a VEGAN would say that."

Yeah, but I became a vegan for... those reasons I just talked about... I wasn't a vegan first and as a reaction stopped consuming animal products :confused:

Anyway, veganism is about one of two things: moral superiority and the desire to not contribute to a problem if avoidable. I became a vegan because my privilege allows it. I only act morally superior when someone recognizes the harm they do and has a weird reaction like hurting animals or buying bacon just to throw it out just to piss off vegans. I don't know that anyone actually does that, but there sure are a lot of rednecks who claim to. The same type of people who could recycle, but don't, just because they want to upset people who do recycle.

credburn fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 10, 2024

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

speaking of recycling, quite a lot of municipal recycling just gets landfilled now, though it depends very much where you live and how much they'll subsidize. plastic recycling isn't economically viable anywhere though, and where i live they don't take glass either.

i still clean out my cans, plastic containers, and paper and toss them into the big bin on wednesday, but i'm pretty sure i'm just wasting time and water

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just word the answer differently, "I became a vegan as soon as i understood [topic]"

I personally think meat is too deeply ingrained in humanity - as abhorrent and brutal as the industry can be, i don't think they're any hope of it receding until lab grown meat is abundant and cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

factory farming and slaughtering of livestock are one of the things that kids textbooks in 1000 years will portray as a barbaric ancient practice

just kidding, there won't be a civilization in 1000 years to judge us