Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

People are so loving mean and stupid.

it’s important to note that yes on the bad stuff funding for ads, signs, mailers, etc. was like 5000 times greater than opposition because a bunch of lovely venture capitalists and real estate billionaires have ideas

the mayor and police have figured out they can get whatever they want as long as they continue to not do anything useful about crime and go “welp, we need more stuff”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

super nailgun posted:

I wonder which PD will be the first to adopt the use of FPV drones to 'neutralize' armed suspects who are barricaded in buildings. There have already been a few misused bomb disposal bots, but someone in a procurement department is absolutely paying attention to the news out of Ukraine and making some calls to get a more purpose built solution.

philly simply used a helicopter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

qirex posted:

the mayor and police have figured out they can get whatever they want as long as they continue to not do anything useful about crime and go “welp, we need more stuff”

Yeah, the police department is so understaffed that when there was an abandoned car blocking the street near my apartment last week, they were only able to send out three cruisers and like seven or eight cops to stand around until the tow truck left.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, the police department is so understaffed that when there was an abandoned car blocking the street near my apartment last week, they were only able to send out three cruisers and like seven or eight cops to stand around until the tow truck left.

the secret is all you have to do is keep saying you’re understaffed and the mere act of questioning it is attacking the police. I bet six of those cops were making like $150/hr in overtime

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

the secret is all you have to do is keep saying you’re understaffed and the mere act of questioning it is attacking the police

and it works really, really well !

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The entire state of New Jersey's budget for FY2024 is $54.5b. The NYPD's budget (that we know about) for the same time period is $5.44b.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

america is so capitalismpilled that a lot of people have straight-up forgotten that the government can offer services other than cops. like they're not even opposed to those services existing, they just have forgotten that you could totally have, say, government-run daycare or whatever

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

quiggy posted:

america is so capitalismpilled that a lot of people have straight-up forgotten that the government can offer services other than cops. like they're not even opposed to those services existing, they just have forgotten that you could totally have, say, government-run daycare or whatever

excuse me? free hand-outs?? i don't think so. i go to work every day.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The answer to crime is always more cops and when the crime doesn't go down you just haven't added enough cops or armed them well enough or let them violate your privacy enough

I'm actually kind of shocked we haven't seen more vicious attacks on stuff like CAHOOTS and other inspired programs from people.
https://whitebirdclinic.org/cahoots/

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

graph posted:

excuse me? free hand-outs?? i don't think so. i go to work every day.

freedom is when you have to pay for literally every aspect of living and also a cop can gun you down at any time for any reason and get away with it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raminasi posted:

the port authority bus terminal in manhattan already has camo dudes with long guns standing around. idk whether they're national guard or state cops or locals or whatever but it's weird as hell to have them there.

one time i was bored while waiting for a train (at the oculus, not PA) and started chatting up the two troops that were just standing around there. one was a member of the NY state army/militia and the other was NY national guard

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
NYPD has other priorities, like its office in Israel.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The entire state of New Jersey's budget for FY2024 is $54.5b. The NYPD's budget (that we know about) for the same time period is $5.44b.

isnt it like the 7th most funded military organization in the world or something

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The NYPD has it's own counter-terrorism intelligence apparatus or something.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

The NYPD has it's own counter-terrorism intelligence apparatus or something.

it's basically a paid vacation for the connected, as they have no security clearance or special diplomatic status. the only thing they have ever accomplished is causing headaches for the state department

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I didn't watch it since I had literally anything else to do but they apparently hit Biden with the good drug cocktail last night

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
it came from imgur

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i am always pleased to see when the two michaels are back in the news

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/07/michael-spavor-settlement-canada

quote:

Canada reaches settlement with Michael Spavor over detention in China

In November Spavor was reported to have threatened to sue both Canada and Kovrig, alleging that he had “unwittingly” provided intelligence on North Korea to Kovrig, who then shared that information with Canada and Five Eyes allies through Canada’s global security reporting program (GSRP).

Spavor’s settlement is reported to be worth C$7m ($5.2m), including legal fees and expenses. In a statement, Spavor’s lawyer said “the matter between Mr Spavor and the Government of Canada has been resolved” but did not specify the compensation amount.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

dioxazine posted:

i am always pleased to see when the two michaels are back in the news

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/07/michael-spavor-settlement-canada

I wonder if they’re going to give michael #2 a similar payout since it’s apparently just a helping hand and unrelated to the threat of a lawsuit?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/spavor-kovrig-trudeau-china-1.7137258

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Sagebrush posted:

it came from imgur

send it back

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

it came from imgur

it's funny that they made this with total sincerity because the obvious implication is that he's about to get throttled by zombie trump

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

yippee cahier posted:

I wonder if they’re going to give michael #2 a similar payout since it’s apparently just a helping hand and unrelated to the threat of a lawsuit?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/spavor-kovrig-trudeau-china-1.7137258

hard to say, i imagine they would like to avoid another lawsuit. disgruntled michaels can be dangerous

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol another 737 max fell apart

luckily no injuries this time

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
united airlines had a boeing 777 lose an entire goddamn tire on takeoff that crushed a car and fence

and then a united 737 max had the landing gear collapse on landing

on the same day

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
totally fine

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

puts on Boeing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The wheel falling off is not a Boeing problem. That's just the maintenance guys not doing their job properly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the non-apology apology will be something like “consumers enjoy access to affordable air travel, that’s the price we pay for cheap tickets”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

The wheel falling off is not a Boeing problem. That's just the maintenance guys not doing their job properly.

it was my fault

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Sagebrush posted:

sure but why are they not doing their job properly…? could it be that every entity is ripping the copper out of the walls since there’s minimal
enforcement

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

what about the "left main landing gear" failing? idk what that is but that's the rumor

sounds kinda important

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

fart simpson posted:

it was my fault

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

it was my fault

fart simpson you rascal

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beeftweeter posted:

what about the "left main landing gear" failing? idk what that is but that's the rumor

sounds kinda important

it's not. there's a right main landing gear for redundantcy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/globeeyenews/status/1766193183929880903?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Enderzero posted:

sure but why are they not doing their job properly…? could it be that every entity is ripping the copper out of the walls since there’s minimal
enforcement

fascists seem to believe that all of these incidents are because of diversity hires

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

dioxazine posted:

fascists seem to believe that all of these incidents are because of diversity hires

The whole “lazy government workers” meme came about because the desegregation of federal civil service meant that it was a route to the middle class for black people in America

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in 2002 i worked with this little white dude that was basically dale gribble and he said you cant get hired at the post office because they only hire disabled black single mothers

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

in 2002 i worked with this little white dude that was basically dale gribble and he said you cant get hired at the post office because they only hire disabled black single mothers
“and all the girls i meet already have boyfriends somehow!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Jonny 290 posted:

Exactly! This is why you never see any white male postal workers ever.
I get how people can get fash over FBI crime statistics and what they see on the evening news but I've always been mystified how fash media can roll out memes and talking points that directly contradict every day observations and people still buy it.

Or how these things have managed to pump out doom and gloom predictions about the future that never come to pass and never question if they should stop listening. When I was a kid I knew a bunch of kids from the local private school (no busing black kids!) were all taking Spanish because the AM radio was telling their parents we'd all be speaking Spanish by y2k and yet so many of them still took up their parent's ridiculous politics 20 years later.

No comprende.