Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Who are these rear end in a top hat wizards who keep putting these elaborate Sierra adventure game puzzles all over their lairs? Do the orc guards or whoever have to solve a sudoku every time they wanna use the shitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Asterite34 posted:

Who are these rear end in a top hat wizards who keep putting these elaborate Sierra adventure game puzzles all over their lairs? Do the orc guards or whoever have to solve a sudoku every time they wanna use the shitter?

Hahaha.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Christ, now I'm imagining some lich coming home from an evil rampage bender whose too drunk on the souls of peasants to figure out the puzzle solution to the front door and left the "teleport me to my inner sanctum" amulet on their coffee table so he just has to sleep it off on the front lawn until he can either sober up and remember or get his spell slots back

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Hello Trap Support? Yeah my puzzle lock is hosed and I can't get into my lair can you fix it please? Yes I used detect magic. Yes I used telekinesis to shift the... Look it's broken okay send someone out!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yes, I dried dispel magic and recasting it already!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"Don't worry sir, we're currently spreading rumors in the local tavern that 'great riches' are behind the door, some adventurers will be over shortly to troubleshoot the issue. Feel free to kill them once the problem has been resolved."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That could be an amazing plot.

Recruited by a human oddity collector to break into a lair. They suspect the collector isn't what he seems as they encounter red herring after red herring. A paladin hunting undead is involved, along with an evil wizard seeking a long lost nemisis.

Eventually it turns out it was all orchestrated by a Lich who was too embarrassed to admit they forgot their keys and couldn't get into their house.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

So that's what Azalin has been up to since second edition.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Outrail posted:

That could be an amazing plot.

Recruited by a human oddity collector to break into a lair. They suspect the collector isn't what he seems as they encounter red herring after red herring. A paladin hunting undead is involved, along with an evil wizard seeking a long lost nemisis.

Eventually it turns out it was all orchestrated by a Lich who was too embarrassed to admit they forgot their keys and couldn't get into their house.

something like this happens with the thieves' guild in the first D&D movie

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
our DM had us play a round of Mastermind in a dungeon:

gonzo campaign, though. we ended up in that dungeon when we fell into a sinkhole and the bodyguard of the dignitaries in the other wagon cast a plot armor spell.

also 3 of the 4 of us had no idea how to play and the last guy turned out to be an expert

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Empty Sandwich posted:

our DM had us play a round of Mastermind in a dungeon:

gonzo campaign, though. we ended up in that dungeon when we fell into a sinkhole and the bodyguard of the dignitaries in the other wagon cast a plot armor spell.

also 3 of the 4 of us had no idea how to play and the last guy turned out to be an expert

Oh to clear, if I throw an actual board game as a puzzle at the players I'd let them make checks for whatever rules they need to know; especially if there's any obstification of the actual game/ciphers in which case the underlying puzzle is always going to be an easier one.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Brave adventurers! Thou must rid these lands of the three great scourges. The imperious tower of Hanoi, the darkness of lights out, and the shifty sliding tile puzzle.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bar Crow posted:

Brave adventurers! Thou must rid these lands of the three great scourges. The imperious tower of Hanoi, the darkness of lights out, and the shifty sliding tile puzzle.

I did the sliding tile puzzle for a door lock and one player completed it in like 30 seconds while everyone else went to the bathroom

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
A Game I put a Tower of hanoi in a dungeon my friends are Bioware game veterans, those motherfuckers before I even finished describing my elaborate attempt at disguising it figured it out and had it solved.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh to clear, if I throw an actual board game as a puzzle at the players I'd let them make checks for whatever rules they need to know; especially if there's any obstification of the actual game/ciphers in which case the underlying puzzle is always going to be an easier one.

that's a good move.

I enjoy having to do the puzzle, even in cases like this where I'm not good at the genre, but groups vary wildly.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bar Crow posted:

Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul first went bowling and then played dice to decide who got which part of Jergal's portfolio.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PeterWeller posted:

Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul first went bowling and then played dice to decide who got which part of Jergal's portfolio.

My party retrieved an ancient artifact for a reformed pit fiend so he could ascend to godhood and I was 1000000% shocked that the thought of double crossing him and using it themselves never came up

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
One of the players is a bard doesn't seem to get how the rules work. Hey gets way too excited and just announces his actions and the results without stopping to ask the DM if it's even possible.

Bard: I cast minor illusion to make a big peace sign above the goblin...
DM: Oka...
Bard: and use persuasion to make him surrender *rolls 19* okay success
DM: Wai..
Bard: he gives up and stops fighting us now!'
DM: hold up, goblin is dead, it died last round, the corpse floats just floats there
Bard: So I just wasted my round? Fine it's someone else's turn now whatever *gets sulky*

He's fairly new to 5e and hasn't read the rules but also doesn't want to ask how things work. :shrug:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 5, 2024

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The simplest response is "the DM calls for rolls, not the players." We used to have a house rule that any time a player rolled before getting confirmation incurred a +5 to the DC.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zurreco posted:

The simplest response is "the DM calls for rolls, not the players." We used to have a house rule that any time a player rolled before getting confirmation incurred a +5 to the DC.

This is pretty good

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean in that specific situation a +5 to persuade a dead goblin likely doesn’t change much nor does it prevent sulkiness when you say “not only did you misunderstand the context but you also broke the rules and have a lecture coming”

As usual I think the best way to handle would be an out of character discussion just to make sure they are away of the rules and also making sure that their excitement doesn’t cause them to get ahead of themselves and have their plans immediately blow up in their face. Something like: “hey I noticed you got a bit frustrated that you didn’t get to use your bard power during that goblin encounter; I love your enthusiasm but if you are unclear of the situation please feel open to ask about what’s happening and if certain actions might work, and if things are moving a bit fast while you get used to things I’d be happy to slow down a bit and make sure we are all on the same page”

Of course, once they feel reassured you can always politely reestablish that yeah, the DM is the one who calls for rolls

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I finally got to use the ‘Misty step + smite’ combo I’d been saving to surprise a mini boss who was in a room taunting the party behind a doorway filled with henchmen.

He blocked it with a Shield reaction :mad:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Democratic Pirate posted:

I finally got to use the ‘Misty step + smite’ combo I’d been saving to surprise a mini boss who was in a room taunting the party behind a doorway filled with henchmen.

:owned:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Shameful DM

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Shame on your casters for not Counterspelling the Sheild.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm playing a Warlock (Level 3, Archfey patron/Talisman boon) who is trying to hide that they're a spellcaster as much as possible, disguising their spells as either from arcane devices (such as special bullets from his pistol) or force of personality.

Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion, Silent Image [C] (Eldritch Invocation: Misty Visions)
1st level: Bless [C] (Fey Touched)
2nd level: Faerie Fire [C], Hex [C], Misty Step (Fey Touched), Sleep, Suggestion [C]

I messed up and took too many Concentration [C] spells. We started at level 3 but haven't gotten into combat yet so I think I can talk the DM into letting me swap one of them out for something else. I'm inclined to swap out Hex, since I have both Faerie Fire and Bless (a 1/day freebie) to help everyone hit. I'd like the replacement to be non-concentration AND ideally something which is not obvious flashy magic. I don't see many options. For 1st level: Charm Person, Comprehend Languages and for 2nd it's Enthrall.

The rest of the party is an unfortunate configuration because we were all dumb and didn't coordinate, it's a Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, and Ranger - essentially all ranged fighters, including me, although since I have the highest HP of the party at 30 (and second-highest AC at 14), I'm the closest to the front line as we've got (and I do have a couple of tricks to make it a slightly safer). (It's a BAD group to try hiding spellcasting from, but oh well.)

Other information:
STR: 6 -- DEX: 16 -- CON: 18 (17 + 1 (Var Human)) -- INT: 9 -- WIS: 11 -- CHA: 19 (17 + 1(Var Human) + 1 (Fey Touched))
AC: 14 (Leather armor)
Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Misty Visions

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm playing a Warlock (Level 3, Archfey patron/Talisman boon) who is trying to hide that they're a spellcaster as much as possible, disguising their spells as either from arcane devices (such as special bullets from his pistol) or force of personality.

Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion, Silent Image [C] (Eldritch Invocation: Misty Visions)
1st level: Bless [C] (Fey Touched)
2nd level: Faerie Fire [C], Hex [C], Misty Step (Fey Touched), Sleep, Suggestion [C]

I messed up and took too many Concentration [C] spells. We started at level 3 but haven't gotten into combat yet so I think I can talk the DM into letting me swap one of them out for something else. I'm inclined to swap out Hex, since I have both Faerie Fire and Bless (a 1/day freebie) to help everyone hit. I'd like the replacement to be non-concentration AND ideally something which is not obvious flashy magic. I don't see many options. For 1st level: Charm Person, Comprehend Languages and for 2nd it's Enthrall.

The rest of the party is an unfortunate configuration because we were all dumb and didn't coordinate, it's a Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, and Ranger - essentially all ranged fighters, including me, although since I have the highest HP of the party at 30 (and second-highest AC at 14), I'm the closest to the front line as we've got (and I do have a couple of tricks to make it a slightly safer). (It's a BAD group to try hiding spellcasting from, but oh well.)

Other information:
STR: 6 -- DEX: 16 -- CON: 18 (17 + 1 (Var Human)) -- INT: 9 -- WIS: 11 -- CHA: 19 (17 + 1(Var Human) + 1 (Fey Touched))
AC: 14 (Leather armor)
Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Misty Visions

Just arrange to fight a lot of slow oozes and things and kite the enemies. Melee is for suckers.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you're destined for the front line maybe absorb elements, shield or mage armour? You can flavour them to be invisible and just lucky, dodging better than expected, being tougher then you look etc.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Outrail posted:

If you're destined for the front line maybe absorb elements, shield or mage armour? You can flavour them to be invisible and just lucky, dodging better than expected, being tougher then you look etc.

None of those are on the (Archfey) Warlock spell list. I could in theory take the Armor of Shadows invocation, but right now that would be +2 to AC if I took off my current armor and +1 over Studded Leather once that becomes available, and I'm leaning more towards my next invocation being Eldritch Mind for advantage on Concentration. Even though I might be the best able to survive on the front line, I also don't particularly want to be on the front line due to the inherent disadvantage on all my EB attack rolls for casting ranged attacks in melee.

Zurreco posted:

Get a whip. Learn Lightning Lure as a cantrip. Forego Eldritch Blast entirely.

Absolutely not. That goes too much against my character concept, which is "an old west gunfighter," except their gun is how they deliver [certain] spells, including Eldritch Blast.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 7, 2024

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Get a whip. Learn Lightning Lure as a cantrip. Forego Eldritch Blast entirely.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

None of those are on the (Archfey) Warlock spell list.

Doh. Would your DM let you take armor of ag and reflavor it for force damage? That's not too powerful if you're already limiting your spell selection.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go with Comprehend Languages, as that seems to fill a niche lacking in the group. I considered asking for a reflavor of Armor of Agathys, but decided that I already had enough combat spells and needed some utility for balance.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 7, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's a good idea too, players spend an hour trying to figure out the puzzle of the chessboard in the library only to piss off the lich because they ruined his play by sending game with the vampire two continents over.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Zurreco posted:

I had a DM that wanted us to do that during combat as well. Like, what the hell else would we do after someone says they will attack the orc? It really just made the tedious process of 5e combat take even longer.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Antifreeze Head posted:

I had a DM that wanted us to do that during combat as well. Like, what the hell else would we do after someone says they will attack the orc? It really just made the tedious process of 5e combat take even longer.

It's always fascinating the ways people can create cargo cults, demonstrating so clearly that they perfectly understand the form of what they're doing without any of the function.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Antifreeze Head posted:

I've played with people before who just idly roll dice the entire night and when prompted point at the best roll in the last set of three and say, 'I rolled an 18' or whatever and the DM had to impose poo poo like this so that he knew which one 'counted'.

Yes, the solution is to tell people to stop being dipshits, not to make the game take longer, but gamers gonna game.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mendrian posted:

I've played with people before who just idly roll dice the entire night and when prompted point at the best roll in the last set of three and say, 'I rolled an 18' or whatever and the DM had to impose poo poo like this so that he knew which one 'counted'.

Yes, the solution is to tell people to stop being dipshits, not to make the game take longer, but gamers gonna game.

Not D&D strictly but played a game with someone who would pull this. The DM gave him a box with a keyhole on it and he would sit in the corner perpetually rolling while the rest of us role played then occasionally he would randomly announce "oh this has to open it! i got a [some high number] on my lock pick check!" and the DM would calmly reply "nothing happens" then go back to talking with us. It turned out the key hole was ornamental/a red herring and some NPC eventually showed him the trick to opening the box lol

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
A couple of questions.

Silent Image
1. I'm not sure I'm understanding the limits of a spell right. Can the spell "Silent Image" be used to make it appear if someone standing inside the image isn't actually there? Essentially as a form of (more limited) invisibility?
2. Is it correct that the 15 ft. cube limit of the spell's effect means that it can only hide three people, due to how 5e treats people as occupying a 5-foot square in combat? EDIT: To clarify, if there was a wall or cliff, and I used the illusion to extend the wall or cliff outward for my 15 foot cube, would I still only be able to hide three people there?
3. Along those lines, if I wanted to create an illusion of people, would I be restricted to three, or could I pack in a bunch (say, 10)?
4. Once a creature knows the illusion is in fact an illusion, they can see through it. So the caster can see through it (it'd be dumb otherwise), but if the caster's allies know ahead of time that it's an illusion (such as with a code word you could say mid-combat), can they see through it, or do they still have to use their action to investigate it first?

Eldritch Mind vs Resilient: CON/Warcaster
5. With a mind to planning ahead, I was considering taking Eldritch Mind as my level 5 Invocation, but swapping it out for Either Warcaster or Resilient: CON if I hit level 12 (as in taking that as a feat and switching out the old Invocation). I have an 18 CON, so the +1 CON wouldn't do anything useful, but adding the proficiency bonus would add another +3 to the save (which becomes +4 at 13) for a total of +7. At that high of a level, that sounds better for maintaining concentration than advantage. Does that sound like a good (if a long-term) plan?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 10, 2024

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
A lot of your questions will be up to the DM, especially as to what the word "image" means.

1. You can create an image that obscures a person or persons. However, anyone familiar with the area or content of the image would probably intuitively think something was weird and start rolling checks.
2. Arguably a 15 x 15 image of a wall could obscure an infinite number of people if the observer never moves.
3. Depends on if the DM thinks that the sight of 3 or more people constitutes an "image" vs multiple images.
4. For the purposes of moving things along I would say the caster can let folks know that it's a projection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've always interpreted it as minor illusion / silent image etc can add, but not subtract visually. So you can 'obscure' a person / doorway / macguffin by making it look like a wall or a cupboard is there instead, but you can't make it so that a person / macguffin isn't there, i.e. replaced by empty space.

I half remember there being a general principle that a spell/ability shouldn't be assumed to do something that another spell/ability is for unless explicitly stated - if all of the other illusion spells can make things invisible, then that does sort of step on the toes of invisibility.

I don't remember where I read that principle though, so I am fully prepared for it to not be a D&D thing.