Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MrYenko posted:

The 1995 Tuskegee Airmen movie is better in every way. It even has real airplanes throughout.

Real airplanes? Those cost money. CGI artists work for free.

Some Exec probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish The Volume had never been created. The amount of times it has been used well can be counted on one hand but when its abused it makes CGI scenes that can look worse than the most excessive blue screens

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 9, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arc Hammer posted:

I wish The Volume had never been created. The amount of times it has been used well can be counted on one hand but when its abused it makes CGI scenes that can look worse than the lost excessive blue screens

Wasn't the point of it so you could film more natural looking outdoor shots in a studio? Like it was just intended to be background while you built a set in the foreground.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Unfortunately real aircraft would have been mostly impossible in a show about bombers - there's still enough WW2 fighter aircraft, or modern airplanes that look similar enough to them, that you could make something work, but very very few bombers, and even the ones that technically fly are in truly dire maintenance condition, and really shouldn't be flying.

You could have shot reference footage using modern aircraft, or even drones, and then composited fake aircraft over them - the Top Gun sequel did a lot of this - and it would have at least made the animated aircraft move realistically. As-is they look like the cartoons they are, none of them move quite right

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well if they didn't keep crashing the restored warbids, maybe.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I was doing some work for a guy once and he had an airworthy P-51 in the hangar he let me play with a bit and he casually commented ‘oh yeah this thing has already crashed once, it killed one of its previous owners’ like it was no big thing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't the point of it so you could film more natural looking outdoor shots in a studio? Like it was just intended to be background while you built a set in the foreground.

Tell that to half of what it gets used for.

Nearly every outdoor scene in the new Avatar The Last Airbender is just some people being crowded into a neat circle of tangible space, big enough to fit maybe two market stalls and some actors, but not quite large enough to allow for significant lateral movement by e.g. the camera or actors.

There's a scene late in the season where the characters arrive in what's meant to be a thriving city with a significant populace, and there's maybe 15 people on screen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think for scenes where they are in the planes and the background is either sky or ground is a good use case for the volume. It allows them to get proper lighting and also lets the actors react to things outside the plane because it's happening on the volume screen They built an entire B-17 for location use, as well as the front of one for use in the volume. It's really bad when they should just be filming on a regular set or on location.

Also, I think we are at a point in time where there aren't going to be flying bombers anymore. B-17s specifically have some issue with a wing spar that I'm sure was possible to make when mass producing the things, but is very complicated to make and no one can find a company that will even consider doing it for the planes that are left, much less being able to afford to do it.

Batcat
May 2, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

So you get stuff like the OSS Agents

Nitpicking but SOE, she's British. That whole plotline was bizarre though, we see her drop off what looks like film canisters of photographs it's implied she's taken, she gets given a new set of orders and then apparently just goes straight back to London and dumps Crosby with a note she leaves off camera.

The fighter's story would have been better sticking with the 8th Air Force and it's not even a difficult story to tell, put in a scene or two of the Luftwaffe being kept at bay by P-47s or Spitfires (lol) who run out of fuel and have to leave the bombers vulnerable, then skip forward a few months to the P-51 with James Howard taking on 30 Fw 190s by himself and winning the Medal of Honor. It's all there in the book, would get the point across and tell an awesome (true) story but instead they gave us this awful tokenism that hasn't done anyone justice. Realistically though an all white production wasn't going to happen today and they'd never tell the story of the black servicemen in England with the 8th because there's nothing good to spin out of that.

I think tonally the show has been all over the place as well, it's like the influences for the flying sequences have come full circle and we're watching a space battle from a Star Wars movie, it's kind of been like that from the start but this episode with the fighters was particularly bad. Crosby's Requiem for a Dream meltdown felt like it came from a completely different series.

I'm just really disappointed, this would have been amazing if it came out 10 or 15 years ago on HBO. I can only echo what others have been saying and to watch the Catch-22 miniseries if you haven't already, it's excellent.

And at least we did get a couple of real aircraft this week, even if they didn't leave the ground. There is a P-51D flying in the UK that was with the 99th during the war but they didn't use it, just about sums the whole production up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I think for scenes where they are in the planes and the background is either sky or ground is a good use case for the volume. It allows them to get proper lighting and also lets the actors react to things outside the plane because it's happening on the volume screen They built an entire B-17 for location use, as well as the front of one for use in the volume. It's really bad when they should just be filming on a regular set or on location.

Yeah, agreed, with the caveat that production has backgrounds decided on before filming, and not something like a Shazam 2 situation.

The Netflix show 1899 did some pretty cool things that you could really only achieve with Volume, involving actors touching and interacting with the wall despite it displaying things that shouldn't be interactable, like the horizon. That was pretty cool. It's a technology with possibility, but when used badly it just adds to the weightlessness that a lot of poor implementations of typical CG already suffer from. Except worse, since it's all encompassing.

I think this show gets it right during the plane scenes though, as was said.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Masters of the Air made me want to watch other war-setting movies and I stumbled on Periscope Down and it's actually pretty good.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Batcat posted:

Crosby's Requiem for a Dream meltdown felt like it came from a completely different series.

That sequence stuck out like a sore thumb, especially the bit of him going normal speed and everyone sped up around him. I tried to picture them doing something like that in BoB and it just wouldn't have happened.

Edit: How do you have Ncuti Gatwa so criminally underused as well

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 9, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I bet Gatwa had like, one scene, and then when he was cast as, or well received, as ol docky who they used every last .mp4 in which he appears. Hence weird cuts like the one where he is listening to the mission brief or whatever.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
This show doesn't really feel like it ever managed to develop a distinct identity of its own.

It's not just that there's one or two out of place scenes that feel like they came from a different show, it's that, somehow, against all reason, every scene feels like it came from a different show

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Masters of the Skip Button would seem more accurate. Why make a show about the aircraft side of things and consistently skip the aircraft side of things?
Make an episode purely from the POV of the ground crew, I'd watch it and it would be cheaper. Or cut to the navy training in a pool if you wanna get proper cheap. This is just... sometimes some people get shot down and other stuff happens. (Off-screen)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
20 minutes of the last episode is just two people in the admin pool trying to troubleshoot a malfunctioning typewriter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cojawfee posted:

20 minutes of the last episode is just two people in the admin pool trying to troubleshoot a malfunctioning typewriter.

Masters of the Administrative Duties

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
halfway through they cut to two days later and we learn that the typewriter was repaired offscreen

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

And the typewriter is the one that typed out the famous message 'The world is safe for peace and democracy it is VE day'

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Monica Bellucci posted:

Masters of the Skip Button would seem more accurate. Why make a show about the aircraft side of things and consistently skip the aircraft side of things?
Make an episode purely from the POV of the ground crew, I'd watch it and it would be cheaper. Or cut to the navy training in a pool if you wanna get proper cheap. This is just... sometimes some people get shot down and other stuff happens. (Off-screen)

9x 45 minute episodes of them getting shot up in their aluminum tubes would probably get very monotonous. Since the 8th air force was doing the equivalent of a full frontal assault for much of the time it would be gratuitous and how many ways can you depict a bomber crew getting eviscerated before you loses interest.

I have been enjoying the juxtaposition between what happens to the crews when they get back to base vs what happens when you get shot down.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

kill me now posted:

9x 45 minute episodes of them getting shot up in their aluminum tubes would probably get very monotonous. Since the 8th air force was doing the equivalent of a full frontal assault for much of the time it would be gratuitous and how many ways can you depict a bomber crew getting eviscerated before you loses interest.

I have been enjoying the juxtaposition between what happens to the crews when they get back to base vs what happens when you get shot down.

True, but they didn't need to burn up the slaughter scenes in the 1st/2nd episodes

I'll watch the finale, but the chances of me rewatching this are exactly zero

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mister Bates posted:

I was doing some work for a guy once and he had an airworthy P-51 in the hangar he let me play with a bit and he casually commented ‘oh yeah this thing has already crashed once, it killed one of its previous owners’ like it was no big thing

It's a 40's technology F1 car with wings and guns.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The last episode will have 12 minutes of the last year of the war then it will flash toward to 1952 and its now about Crosby trying to help his kid with his homework.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

It's a 40's technology F1 car with wings and guns.

It's really insane that these things make 1400HP and go 400mph meanwhile cars at the time had two speed transmissions and a 5 liter engine made 80 HP.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Octy posted:

Three plot lines crammed into 51 minutes. No wonder it felt rushed. And we see all of 30 seconds of D-Day as a recollection, not in the moment, then it's suddenly two months later.

What’s even going on with these runtimes. I was checking the progress bar and saw 7mins left and then before I knew it ‘Next on…’ that plus the gratuitous opening titles it feels like there’s what, 42 minutes of content at best? To be honest I don’t think I want any more. It’s dog poo poo. But it’s baffling how much they’re biting off with such limited room to breathe and then even more so when you see what does get featured.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just realised we are living in a television dark age, which follows a golden age. It tries to ape but it's going to take another paradigm shift in order for tv to be good again.

I'm sorry if this post sounds dramatic, it must be the influence of the masters of the air music score.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blake Neely is in a one-man tournament against himself to score the most patriotic and overwhelming soundtrack imaginable.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The first couple minutes of the opening theme is actually pretty good, especially with the visuals. But then it just goes on and on...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lampsacus posted:

I just realised we are living in a television dark age, which follows a golden age. It tries to ape but it's going to take another paradigm shift in order for tv to be good again.

I'm sorry if this post sounds dramatic, it must be the influence of the masters of the air music score.

We're in the early parts. Rome is still around and the Barbarians are being held back, but we're going to have to live through a bunch of horrible AI written shows before the execs who are all into cypto are put in the bronze bull and new execs who have radical ideas "lets hire writers and directors who made things people like to make our shows".

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

kill me now posted:

I think that there are the right elements there, but the mixture was off, leading to a lesser experience than BoB.

The pressure to quickly scale up the number of pilots let to thousands of deaths in training. We see one of these, but its a one off thing that goes nowhere rather than be a more salient point.

The “combat box” tactic is a bit of the story there, but it is, once again, the sort of stuff if you don't know anything you'll miss the significance.

Much like flak suddenly becoming more effective because of “predictive barrage."

There's an element of escalation in the air war over Europe that you can see pieces of in the background but never actually become a coherent narrative.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lampsacus posted:

I bet Gatwa had like, one scene, and then when he was cast as, or well received, as ol docky who they used every last .mp4 in which he appears. Hence weird cuts like the one where he is listening to the mission brief or whatever.

I had to laugh that they first time you see him for more than just like a brief cut of his face he's sitting down at a poker game, and it cuts before he can say anything. It had powerful "adult Maggie Simpson never gets to speak" energy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I still wish they had an episode where they had to deal with a Me-262 or Komits, where they come blasting out of nowhere, take down like 2 bombers and everyone is making GBS threads themselves, and then they're gone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

twistedmentat posted:

I still wish they had an episode where they had to deal with a Me-262 or Komits, where they come blasting out of nowhere, take down like 2 bombers and everyone is making GBS threads themselves, and then they're gone.

Tired Crosby voiceover: "The 100th Bomb Group encountered a new enemy: the Me-262 jet fighter. It flew higher and faster than any of our planes could manage, but thanks to the Hawker Tempest blowing up their airfields we never saw them again."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

I remember my grandfather telling me that they were so fast that he could only see them for a second and it was only a plane he saw late in his tour

This is the 262, I don’t know if I ever asked him about the Komet specifically

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, even with the larger flaws and production shortcuts, I'm still enjoying this overall. One more episode to an even 10 would have been nice to give it some breathing room but oh well.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Laterite posted:

I dunno, even with the larger flaws and production shortcuts, I'm still enjoying this overall. One more episode to an even 10 would have been nice to give it some breathing room but oh well.

Same, it’s not BOB but it’s still watchable tv about a subject I enjoy.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In a shocking but award-winning twist in the final episode, the story is suddenly now told only from the POV of the Germans.

It ends when the last of the four Jagdflieger co-protagonists is one-shot through the canopy. Instant cut to black and then twenty seconds of silence, followed by the credits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MrMojok posted:

In a shocking but award-winning twist in the final episode, the story is suddenly now told only from the POV of the Germans.

It ends when the last of the four Jagdflieger co-protagonists is one-shot through the canopy. Instant cut to black and then twenty seconds of silence, followed by the credits.

This show is dedicated to the brave Luftwaffe pilots of Germany

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GolfHole posted:

Masters of the Air made me want to watch other war-setting movies and I stumbled on Periscope Down and it's actually pretty good.

Assuming you mean Down Periscope rather than confusing Watership Down

Down Periscope is the most accurate of all navy movies, if the question is what is life on a submarine actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember genuinely enjoying the scene where they fake out that they're a fishing boat full of drunken sailors singing :shobon: