Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Madu 4 years/98 from the Ravens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Big guaranteed number.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1766237315498705218?t=hDJgwxTI5t_xf0ThVJz1qg&s=19

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chris Jones please sign the paper

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Quinnen Williams contract was a good deal.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

hell yeah

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's something I find fascinating. Offense is viewed as vastly more important then D by teams by contract:

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1766127184337363191

Images for both O and D:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

that was weirdly fast. i can't remember the last time we got a franchise tagged player signed that quick

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Borsche69 posted:

that was weirdly fast. i can't remember the last time we got a franchise tagged player signed that quick

It's pretty easy I think, Aaron Donald laps the field by so much, you just go gimme inflation over the guy in #2.

The top APY IDL contracts are:

$32m Aaron Donald
$24m Quinnen William
$23.5m Jeffery Simmons
$22.5m Daron Payne & Dexter Lawrence

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kalli posted:

It's pretty easy I think, Aaron Donald laps the field by so much, you just go gimme inflation over the guy in #2.

The top APY IDL contracts are:

$32m Aaron Donald
$24m Quinnen William
$23.5m Jeffery Simmons
$22.5m Daron Payne & Dexter Lawrence

true, IDL is basically set. although going by that logic, the franchise tag never shouldve come into play i guess? idk

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

true, IDL is basically set. although going by that logic, the franchise tag never shouldve come into play i guess? idk

If you're the player you probably want them to franchise you. If they don't your market opens up and your price skyrockets

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

Jaylon Johnson did it like two days faster.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That Madubuike contract is waaaay more than I would feel comfortable giving him after an outlier year on a loaded defense. If I'm Christian Wilkins and I actually have multiple years of production at that level under my belt, I'm asking for like $30m (and if I'm Chris Jones I guess I'm asking for Danny Dimes money?)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jaylon Johnson did it like two days faster.

i meant the last time the ravens did it. most times i remember it ended up going to at least july. lamar was actually one of the quicker ones in team history. even when justin tucker got tagged they didn't hash that contract out until july

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xbilkis posted:

That Madubuike contract is waaaay more than I would feel comfortable giving him after an outlier year on a loaded defense. If I'm Christian Wilkins and I actually have multiple years of production at that level under my belt, I'm asking for like $30m (and if I'm Chris Jones I guess I'm asking for Danny Dimes money?)

'way' more is a little bit of a stretch. if he had two years of that kind of production, then this would be a massive underpay. he was pretty good in 2022 and fantastic in 2023. with that + the cap explosion, going for slightly more than the second highest contract feels about right. he's trending in the right direction and there's a decent chance it looks like a good value within a year or two.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

xbilkis posted:

That Madubuike contract is waaaay more than I would feel comfortable giving him after an outlier year on a loaded defense.

Generally, I would agree with you, but Madibuke is an unusual case. He showed dramatic improvement every year, and his per snap numbers are pretty good throughout. The stacked defense you're referring to includes over the hill vets Jadeveon Clowney and Kyle Van Noy as the top edge rushers. Their production was largely attributable to what Madibuke was doing in the interior. The last factor is simply the lack of alternatives. Without Madibuke the Ravens' pass rush is the all talent no production players led by Odafe Oweh, who has shaped up to be the absolute king of huge potential with mediocre output.

It has the potential to backfire, but I'm happy with the signing. Better than seeing him have his best years elsewhere after getting trained up in Baltimore like happened with Zadarius Smith and Matt Judon.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm not sure how Wilkins has multiple seasons of Madubuike's 2023 production, unless I'm looking at the wrong stats

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He doesn't have multiple years of double-digit sacks, but I would say being a solid interior pass rusher and one of the best interior run stoppers in the league puts him on a similar level as 2023 Madubuike

Borsche69 posted:

'way' more is a little bit of a stretch. if he had two years of that kind of production, then this would be a massive underpay. he was pretty good in 2022 and fantastic in 2023. with that + the cap explosion, going for slightly more than the second highest contract feels about right. he's trending in the right direction and there's a decent chance it looks like a good value within a year or two.

Yeah I guess I would have thought a "solid deal" would be locking him in at like $3m less AAV, but I'm just surprised they had to pay him top-of-the-non-Donald market money and guarantee 75% of the contract. I guess there's a chance it was worth paying what they had to now and waiting until after the Jones/Wilkins deals would have only driven the price up more, though

It's also hard to judge because I look at the DT contracts on the books now and my first instinct is to go "drat, they paid him $2m a year more than Dexter Lawrence and gave him $15m more guaranteed??", but at the same time I could go "They paid him $2m a year more than Daron Payne...I guess that's fine." The one thing I'm certain of is that Lawrence contract is going to age like fine wine

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If you're the player you probably want them to franchise you. If they don't your market opens up and your price skyrockets

Why would a player not want their price to skyrocket

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

sometimes you need to make a value product for thrifty teams that suck

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

I mean in terms of why would they not work out a deal before the franchise deadline. The player is forcing a decision by the team vs compromising early. If they franchise you you're still gonna get a big deal (generally). If they don't franchise you you'll make even more. But there's 0 reason to sign before the tag deadline if you're the player.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Wilkins and Jones about to get paid

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was a good signing and it's going to look even better. i'll never forget when i said madubuike would get 2 sacks in a game against the titans and he did. i tell that story to my nieces and i plan on telling it to my son when he learns how to listen. the real gamble is not paying it

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1766130772996403242?t=9W612by_t7b3byvE1iTDFg&s=19

that seems like a lot for Hunter Henry

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1766482700175626253

I'm gonna get to watch Bryce Huff dominate 30 miles south for the next 5 years lol

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1766482700175626253

I'm gonna get to watch Bryce Huff dominate 30 miles south for the next 5 years lol

Tampa is way further south than 30 miles.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1766517391880544299?s=46

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The key takeaway from Jerry Jeudy is that he’s complete dogshit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That seems super cheap. Good trade.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mcmagic posted:

The key takeaway from Jerry Jeudy is that he’s complete dogshit.

Yeah

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Browns are shopping a pretty good guard and a decent cb.

https://x.com/NFLNotify/status/1766135316019392858?s=20

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

He’s expensive and bad though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have to let Jerry Jeudy take snaps for your team though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Diva Cupcake posted:

He’s expensive and bad though.

A perfect fit for Deshaun Watson.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Amy Pole Her posted:

Browns are shopping a pretty good guard and a decent cb.

https://x.com/NFLNotify/status/1766135316019392858?s=20

I'll only believe this when it happens. They haven't traded away anyone of value in AB's time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It is but they have so many holes and so much cap space that checking a box with a reliable boring vet is probably fine. It’s not like there’s a slew of stud free agent tight ends out there to sign and they have other priorities in the draft.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

drat, my dreams of him dropping the game winning touchdown pass for Mahomes have been shattered

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Docjowles posted:

It is but they have so many holes and so much cap space that checking a box with a reliable boring vet is probably fine. It’s not like there’s a slew of stud free agent tight ends out there to sign and they have other priorities in the draft.

Yeah hard to fault NE with this signing. It’s a decent price for someone they really need to be adequate for 2+ years which is about Hunter Henry’s floor

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Not really surprising considering the cap situation and their price tag.
https://twitter.com/DMRussini/status/1766549516470165742?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Not really surprising considering the cap situation and their price tag.
https://twitter.com/DMRussini/status/1766549516470165742?s=20

Would be shocked if anyone wants to take either of those contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
What would Bosa even get paid if he hit the open market right now? Dude's still got some juice when healthy but there's just no way you can expect to have him for a full season at this point