Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Some Guy TT posted:

why did you include the first line about the general fearing an uprising if your interpretation is that he represents broad power

if anything the fact that he can even perceive that hes in danger suggests that for all his bluster he knows hes in a bad position and the gun is symbolic of his weakness not his strength

:gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Buck Wildman posted:

what the heck is happening itt

Will Menaker said he didn't like Poor Things in his movie podcast and now we are experiencing Discourse.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Weembles posted:

Will Menaker said he didn't like Poor Things in his movie podcast and now we are experiencing Discourse.

disgusting. there ought to be a law

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

*checking 100+ pages of posts with zero punctuation or capitalization* Yeah, this is someone who I can engage and have a cogent discussion with

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Cael posted:

*checking 100+ pages of posts with zero punctuation or capitalization* Yeah, this is someone who I can engage and have a cogent discussion with

this mf likes punctuation

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

chiming in to say "checked out at sex work is work but not a job" welp peace out

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Plank Walker posted:

The publishers decided in the 00s that the market for video games in the US was entirely spike tv viewers/male 18-25 demographic. People were fuming mad that Wind Waker had colorful graphics and outside of Nintendo, no one was even trying to make games that weren't washed in some shade of brown in the name of "realism".

There are probably some counterexamples, but I can't think of any Western-developed releases that weren't leaning into either gritty realism or like I guess Simpson's Hit and Run which was based on a cartoon IP.

The bolded is key. I was trying to think of counter examples but the two that popped in my mind were very japanese, capcom's veiwtiful joe and namco's Katamari Damacy. Pretty big hits but yeah. Not western. It took the indie scene and The Orange Box to probably break things open in the very late 00s. Braid of all games comes to mind. Even then it would still take a half-generation before call of dookie styles receded.

You could probably call out all of american popular media as having that dark-gritty-brown problem too. Thinking how Lady Gaga was kind of an explosion simply because she decided to bring back capital p Pop aesthetics and eurotrash into the forefront. I was in college and overnight all the fratbros suddenly loved going to raves and dressing bright.

quote:

poor things

man this movie sounds pretty rad? Also if anyone wants trippy wild metaphors for sex and love they should check out seijun suzuki's zigeunerweisen and kagero-za. Ive read its part of a loose trilogy but havent seen the third movie (yumeji) yet. Kagero-za loving slaps.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

veepfake posted:

chiming in to say "checked out at sex work is work but not a job" welp peace out

Quiet quitting is when you don't bother faking an orgasm

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

Quiet quitting is when you don't bother faking an orgasm

quarterly evaluations are coming up so for the next couple weeks i'll make a big show of it to juice my numbers

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

why did you include the first line about the general fearing an uprising if your interpretation is that he represents broad power

if anything the fact that he can even perceive that hes in danger suggests that for all his bluster he knows hes in a bad position and the gun is symbolic of his weakness not his strength

yes thats an accurate reflection of the nature of state power in a capitalist system

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Weembles posted:

lmao is that what is going on here? I had similar behaviors as a kid where I just parroted whatever my older brother said because clearly he was right that Daft Punk and Nirvana suck.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my older brother said because clearly he was right that Daft Punk and Nirvana suck.

was he listening to alan jackson or what

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cael posted:

i find my oratory to be consummate in its cogency. im sorry if you require proper punctuation to have a discussion but you wont find my syntax lacking

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

scary ghost dog posted:

yes thats an accurate reflection of the nature of state power in a capitalist system

if state power in a capitalist system is so weak it collapses on its own in the face of a literal baby just contradicting it im a little surprised capitalism is even still a thing

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

if state power in a capitalist system is so weak it collapses on its own in the face of a literal baby just contradicting it im a little surprised capitalism is even still a thing

yes. capitalism will inevitably collapse. this is an axiom generally accepted by marxists.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i say swears online posted:

was he listening to alan jackson or what

these opinions were not uttered at the same time but when he didn't like Nirvana he was hugely into like... Wynton Marsalis.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

yes. capitalism will inevitably collapse. this is an axiom generally accepted by marxists.

TT barely escaped the clinton and epstein net

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

these opinions were not uttered at the same time but when he didn't like Nirvana he was hugely into like... Wynton Marsalis.

lol

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

The capitalists are afraid of a dead guy who mostly slept all day pointing out the most basic of contradictions

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

nooo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDI2X6ByhF0

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

scary ghost dog posted:

thats a very charitable reading given the themes poor things has regarding the inevitably and obviousness of progress the aim of that scene strikes me less as signifying the finality of marxist analysis and more the popular quote of how the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice

this is what i mean when i say that poor things represents a fantasy it doesnt have any actual lessons for how to stand against power because nearly every obstacle bella runs across crumples like a paper bag against the slightest effort on her part and by the end there isnt even a pretense that the society she lives in will impede her in any way except to the extent that its not just solving poverty on its own i guess

now to be quite clear i dont think poor things is trying to act as a blueprint or metaphor for how to stand against actual power and im not sure anyone else here thinks that either theres a reason why i agree with all of you when youre trying to actually analyze the text instead of just collapsing extremely broad concepts like "people need jobs in order to live in a society" as if these were insightful social criticisms and not mundane aspects of the premise about as interesting as the observation that bella needs to eat food in order not to starve to death

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yes, the surrealist piece of media is a metaphor and representative and not instruction.

The book has a better ending because the movie did end up going Hollywood happy ending

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

thats a very charitable reading given the themes poor things has regarding the inevitably and obviousness of progress the aim of that scene strikes me less as signifying the finality of marxist analysis and more the popular quote of how the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice

this is what i mean when i say that poor things represents a fantasy it doesnt have any actual lessons for how to stand against power because nearly every obstacle bella runs across crumples like a paper bag against the slightest effort on her part and by the end there isnt even a pretense that the society she lives in will impede her in any way except to the extent that its not just solving poverty on its own i guess

now to be quite clear i dont think poor things is trying to act as a blueprint or metaphor for how to stand against actual power and im not sure anyone else here thinks that either theres a reason why i agree with all of you when youre trying to actually analyze the text instead of just collapsing extremely broad concepts like "people need jobs in order to live in a society" as if these were insightful social criticisms and not mundane aspects of the premise about as interesting as the observation that bella needs to eat food in order not to starve to death

interesting. i dont believe this satirical comedy is attempting to provide a blueprint for marxist resistance either. i think its trying to make fun of the various social constructs that have evolved over time by constructing situations where a literal baby-brained woman is able to identify their contradictions. if you wish to conclude that the movie is trying to teach anyone anything, i would assert that the lesson it wishes to impart is that you can intuit dialectical materialism, but you must be trained to fit in to a capitalist system.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yes, the surrealist piece of media is a metaphor and representative and not instruction.

The book has a better ending because the movie did end up going Hollywood happy ending

i agree!

havent read the book tho im kindof curious to because the framing device alone probably does a lot to change the interpretation

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
eyyyyyyyy man i hate broad power too you know what i mean

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Telluric Whistler posted:

I think he's an insurance salesman who is best friend with Shaq O'NEAL and so he represents bad jokes that are good memes, which is Poor Things

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

what the heck is happening itt

this thread has become quite Urksome

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

shhh, not while i'm critically analyzing media

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

eyyyyyyyy man i hate broad power too you know what i mean