Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

more falafel please posted:

my work used to have an IT guy who would constantly be browsing a forum dedicated to mafia games and i always wondered how that would work, it makes sense that it would be creepy RP

i only ever saw him eat two things, either he'd get an entire dominos pizza at like 9am and just eat it throughout the day or he'd get a giant bag of flamin' hot Cheetos and dump like a solid half cup of sriracha on them in a paper bowl and eat them with chopsticks

one time our operations guy (half receptionist half warehouse guy half office manager and former straight edge MMA fighter with cauliflower ear, extremely a "not gonna start poo poo but can definitely finish it" guy found him sleeping in the server room and this fuckin goon threatened to kick his rear end if he told on him. anyway that dude got fired and no asses got kicked
Man, that place sounds like hell. They don't even let you take naps?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

Tiberium Wars owns

its aged pretty well too imo

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

pentyne posted:

I suddenly remember that the insane "secret trans creator is the ancestor of all modern japanese gave development" was also a Let's Play saga that included multiple people who believed some of the most bald faced idiotic poo poo possible and got genuinely angry when anyone pointed it out.

I remember this from time to time as well. Like the Pepe Silvia conspiracy, but with sunflowers

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Wormskull posted:

[walks up to you and mutters in your ear] Link.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Al! posted:

presumably youd play it with people you post with which is why its dangerous b/c goons get super over familiar very fast

oh hey, what's up fellow sagas poster, here's a picture of my tiny pierced dino dick and my tax returns!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

oh hey, what's up fellow sagas poster, here's a picture of my tiny pierced dino dick and my tax returns!

loving insane that these are two of the more normal things I've seen done by goons through PM

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ive only received a couple of unsolicited nudes, as a C tier poster, but i imagine forum superstars are drowning in weird dick

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

its aged pretty well too imo

the cast is funny too, I love president lando

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4FwfIKUGTg

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Al! posted:

ive only received a couple of unsolicited nudes, as a C tier poster, but i imagine forum superstars are drowning in weird dick

And not the good kind like you'd want.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've never posted my dick and balls on the forums or associated discords or chatrooms or online at all.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yamai's chubby older bitches ftmfw

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've never posted my dick and balls on the forums or associated discords or chatrooms or online at all.

same, apparently we deserve medals

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

American McGay posted:

Yamai's chubby older bitches ftmfw

he rules lol. he's 100% returning in 9

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

If I recall the riven rape rpgs started off as mafia games which makes it even stranger

I was looking at that thread again last week because someone pointed out it's been almost exactly a year since it went down:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027368

And this is a big post but I think it recaps how poo poo got more and more toxic and why it went so long without being called out:

Bifauxnen posted:

This sums up my feelings too.

I was in the Riven game, and the other games related to it. It'll take me a while to figure out what if anything I feel like saying about it all, since I left that community before Bees' stuff happened. But my takeaway was similar to what Meinberg said here. I considered Pod a good friend who's run some incredible games, and I believe he does have the best of intentions. But he doesn't seem to understand just how unhealthy that RP community was getting. And anyone who's tried to tell him some why either gets not taken seriously, ignored, or...whatever the hell happened in Bees' game.

Their format of games just really sucks people in, to unhealthy levels. It's like having an always-on MUD or MMORPG. It used to be based off Mafia with a dayphase and nightphase, so you RP'ed in your area during dayphase then at least had the nightphase downtime while actions got resolved and everything was closed. And even that was already too much, with people having constant FOMO and getting way too much emotional bleed from how much it was consuming their life. I used to try and mention ideas for how that could maybe be scaled back some in future games. But from what I heard, it only got worse, with people able to move to different areas freely so you weren't even limited to your one spot and group during the phase. Now you've got FOMO about everyone.

The whole culture of secrecy thing is another huge part of what makes things so harmful. I played along with some very painful things in these games. I squashed down most of my complaints over the course of six real life months, waiting for a postgame debriefing where we could talk through things properly OOC. Only for that to seem impossible, since everyone's emotions were running so high, and my having problems with a villain character being celebrated was getting conflated with making GBS threads on other people's experience. (I didn't even dislike the villain's existence at all! I just hated that people wanted to forget that he tortured my character!) And it was too hard to discuss anything around what happened with some characters in the game, since their players had already left, and it felt like some huge taboo to even mention their names. That taboo feeling is the worst. I would have been completely fine with so much hosed up poo poo, if only I'd felt like I could have properly talked it through with people out of character. I wasn't around for Bees' game, but from what I've heard, a lot of the personal hurt feelings are around that culture of just booting people out and not giving them space to be heard.

I left after that game, cause it just hurt too much to see this crowd all patting each other on the back for how great and inclusive and emotionally-switched on they were when I still felt like poo poo. And Pod tried really hard to hear me out personally, I appreciate that he tried. But poo poo was so hosed up that it wasn't enough, and when I started hearing rumours of what went down in Bees' game, I stopped trying to stay in touch cause it looked like Pod and the rest of the group hadn't even learned anything.

It's not all entirely on Pod's shoulders. All the main "storyteller" admins besides him seem to enable each other to make things more toxic. I had a lot of great moments in some of these games (and Mafia games) thanks to Podima. I wish him and even the other people I didn't get along with the best. But even me, someone who really appreciates the good stuff he's done and played these RP games with all the good-faith trust in the mods they say they need, I still got pretty hurt by the games too. And I wasn't listened to either, at least no about the stuff that mattered. It's just really sad, and it took me a lot of time and therapy to sort out how hosed up and disappointing it all was.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler has a new favorite as of 06:25 on Mar 22, 2024

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pandy fackler posted:

how da gently caress did anybody have time for that. even if i broke up my relationship and quit my job i wouldn't have time for that

What if you never had either of those to begin with...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Same. I don’t believe photographs of them exist at all tbh

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
You'd need an electron microscope haha. I'll be here all week folks.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
like the library of alexandria or the colossus of rhodes,

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I was looking at that thread again last week because someone pointed out it's been almost exactly a year since it went down:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027368

And this is a big post but I think it recaps how poo poo got more and more toxic and why it went so long without being called out:

one nice piece of info to come out of that whole debacle was that roleplay communities have had more or less established standard rules for managing how to introduce topics like rape and sexual assault, it's not something anyone ever tries to argue without outing themselves as a freak of freaks.

some DnD streamer lucked into massive viral success and was chosen to host a live game as a DM with some popular streamers, and then he tried to drop some surprise content on them and it went over so poorly his career literally ended after that stream and his wife divorced him (may have been unrelated)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Who's that?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That's weird how did they let you in then?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Heath posted:

Who's that?

arcadum. sorry for knowing this

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
these posts are not even a year old and the imgur links are already dead, what are we using for images now?

everythingWasBees posted:

here's the warnings we were given (in a discord comment because we don't have access to the original anymore). none of this talked about the sex dolls. a lot of the content wasnt discussed. whenever someone raised concerns we were told to " trust the staff and the writers."

this is a pretty lengthy list! you could usually assume it to be exhaustive. you usually don't expect there to be a racist Korean caricature with sex dolls and a fixation on "supreme leader" but hey I guess we were meant to expect that.

we were also told repeatedly that " Yeah some of the stuff hasn't aged well. we're going to be spending a few months going through and editing and rewriting things because of that."

renessia posted:

This was Pod's response to some folks expressing concern over how the sex-doll game was being handled.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Those posts mention it briefly but despite the weirdo gleefully taking creative credit for it, they were using what was basically a pre-written campaign module for those sorts of games. So it's not even a goon original anime rape RPG.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

pentyne posted:

one nice piece of info to come out of that whole debacle was that roleplay communities have had more or less established standard rules for managing how to introduce topics like rape and sexual assault, it's not something anyone ever tries to argue without outing themselves as a freak of freaks.

some DnD streamer lucked into massive viral success and was chosen to host a live game as a DM with some popular streamers, and then he tried to drop some surprise content on them and it went over so poorly his career literally ended after that stream and his wife divorced him (may have been unrelated)

lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've never posted my dick and balls on the forums

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Imagine dragon deez nuts across your chin. No, really, do, it's part of the RP.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a fun sentence to change word emphasis with

i've never posted my dick and balls on the forums

etc

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

arcadum. sorry for knowing this

Adam kobel.

Apparently up until that point he had also tried to position himself as Mr social awareness in the ttrpg field and always be all about safety and consent issues.

The event where he, while giggling non stop over describing what to him was comedy and to everyone else was sexual assault, went down so poorly that his subsequent various apologies, backtracking, then apologies turned him into such a persona non grata his peers fled from any project that had his name attached.

He deleted his twitter, and all his named social media has been inactive since.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

rped so bad my wife divorced me. Not even a filmed apology while she stood behind me staring death into the back of my head and doing disappointed gamer head shakes was enough to save our marriage.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

Adam kobel.

Apparently up until that point he had also tried to position himself as Mr social awareness in the ttrpg field and always be all about safety and consent issues.

The event where he, while giggling non stop over describing what to him was comedy and to everyone else was sexual assault, went down so poorly that his subsequent various apologies, backtracking, then apologies turned him into such a persona non grata his peers fled from any project that had his name attached.

He deleted his twitter, and all his named social media has been inactive since.

Adam Koebel is/was an rpg designer, not a D&D streamer. He was one of the creators of Dungeon World, for instance. The instance you're thinking of was part of an actual-play channel where he was GMing a scifi game. He'd done a few other actual play like that and had some uncomfortable boundary-pushing before, but that scifi game was the worst one and the reason he had to evacuate the indie TTRPG space. I don't think he had a wife though?

Arcadum did get outed as a creep, too. His was more of the standard "cultivating fan following and predating on them" style of abuser. His abuse being called out did lead to a breakup with his wife.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

you should never ever allow someone to insert their fetish into a dnd game or they will keep pushing it and pushing it until the whole game is cabbagepots delight

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Like one of the last times I ever did ttrpg. DM tried to roleplay his DMPC faerie dragon waking my character up with a bj. Just picked up my stuff and walked out mid session. No idea wtf he was thinking.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Marcade posted:

Like one of the last times I ever did ttrpg. DM tried to roleplay his DMPC faerie dragon waking my character up with a bj. Just picked up my stuff and walked out mid session. No idea wtf he was thinking.

Good for you though, that rules

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

fearie dragon sucked me off???

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Gay fae, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Fae prey, so what?