Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Basically they don't have to comply with their own privacy policy as far as who they share collected data with. Yet they can still collect substantial data through cookies and fingerprinting, more than enough for a company to uniquely identify you. And then sell that data. It's potentially more of a privacy risk to not have a Facebook than to have one and not use it.

With modern password managers there isn't much a reason not to just flush everything automatically when you close your browser. Facebook probably has thousands of barely populated shadow profiles on me from like 100 IP addresses and 50 user agents. Good work zucc, make sure you store that poo poo for the long haul.

Whenever I say this someone posts a link to a browser fingerprinting site. It's concerning but when you look at the things they're tracking try to imagine actually keeping track of an using that data. I'm always 100% unique which isn't very useful and means I'm not actually fingerprinted in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Any particular password managers you’d recommend or is the one built into Brave enough? Thinking of switching to Firefox tho from Brave

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

crossposting

Is penis explosion chamber too long for a username?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

What's the best way to block physical access to reddit and other websites on my phone? I added reddit to my block list on my router but wondering if there's a recommended way to have something like this on my phone.

Spectrum blocked access to some ROM site the other day and I had to disable a security shield. Looks like you could also add sites to it if you wanted.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Any particular password managers you’d recommend or is the one built into Brave enough? Thinking of switching to Firefox tho from Brave

I'm using 1password but I imagine anything but lastpass is probably good as long as it's all encrypted and backed up somehow. It's nice cause it even fills in passwords on a lot of IOS apps

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lolol

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Strongly recommend 1password, worth the $2/month fee, and I've been using it for years. Excellent browser integration, local encryption, storage, cloud syncing across devices.

Avoid the hell out of lastpass.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I agree billionaires shouldn't pay taxes, they should have their wealth and holdings forcibly redistributed and given lifetime community service sentences. Might as well set them up a cot in the back of a Goodwill and offer 24/7 dropoff.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Khanstant posted:

I agree billionaires shouldn't pay taxes, they should have their wealth and holdings forcibly redistributed and given lifetime community service sentences.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I love getting tracked hell yeah sell me stuff ese see if I care

I have all these things I bought because of ads what do you have?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Khanstant posted:

I agree billionaires shouldn't pay taxes, they should have their wealth and holdings forcibly redistributed and given lifetime community service sentences. Might as well set them up a cot in the back of a Goodwill and offer 24/7 dropoff.

would imo make them whole again as humans

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Nettle Soup posted:

crossposting

Jordan Peterson warned us about this!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I use pass. It's good because I manage my own password store rather than a shady company doing it for me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been using Keepass for like a decade. I like that I can throw the database file into Dropbox so I can open the most recent version of it on my PC and phone.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Hehe. Keep rear end.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What one does after grabass

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve been really enjoying Bitwarden for password managers.

Also Reddit hobby subs are mostly for conspicuous consumption.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Do Reddit comments do the same thing I see in Facebook reels where anything technical (particularly construction or car related, TRIPLY so if the person in the video are :females:) you have a bunch of lay experts pedantically correcting every detail involved in the process?

Yesterday I saw a video of a young woman talking about how to torque the bolts or whatever on two pieces of the tail rotor drive shaft and dozens of boomers in the replies were 'correcting' this woman who very obviously worked for Bell and was explaining how to make sure not to accidentally let their flying deathmobile rip itself apart (given that all helicopters by their nature lust for the sweet release of self- annihilation).

I see a similar phenomenon in Quora where the whole fuckin peanut gallery has to chime in with their own $0.02 and it makes me wonder how the hell these goobers got anything done in their field of expertise given they couldn't even bear the idea of anyone else being ever so slightly more technically correct than them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Panfilo posted:

Do Reddit comments do the same thing I see in Facebook reels where anything technical (particularly construction or car related, TRIPLY so if the person in the video are :females:) you have a bunch of lay experts pedantically correcting every detail involved in the process?

Yesterday I saw a video of a young woman talking about how to torque the bolts or whatever on two pieces of the tail rotor drive shaft and dozens of boomers in the replies were 'correcting' this woman who very obviously worked for Bell and was explaining how to make sure not to accidentally let their flying deathmobile rip itself apart (given that all helicopters by their nature lust for the sweet release of self- annihilation).

I assume clever women are counting on that. Engagement metrics don't care why you're getting engagement.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been using Keepass for like a decade. I like that I can throw the database file into Dropbox so I can open the most recent version of it on my PC and phone.

Same as this for me. I like that it's not gonna get updated or get lost in my browser or some poo poo, just keep it in a dropbox and it'll work forever.

Except dropbox only lets you sync to 3 devices now, so I have it in google drive which doesn't work quite as well.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the internet in general has man explaining problems. like look at musk simps telling women with phDs in physics , maths, or soem sort of space topic that they dont know how space works when Musk and his simps literally thing marvel movies and an adult swim cartoon are how science "works"

hell there's some great counter ice burns of "you just cited the text book I wrote, im the solo author of the book/paper you skimmed"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You’re just describing mansplaining. It’s not a new thing just because it’s through the internet.

By the way, my sister is a professional carpenter while also being a blonde in her twenties. Every single day at work, every trip to a hardware store, is gross dudes condescending her. It sounds like a loving nightmare, but she’s a really good carpenter.

That’s why I work really hard to bore women by telling them new information instead. Clearly I’m the hero of this story.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I really hope :thejoke:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Yeah - being able to drag out a 1on1 argument via comment threads seems to really promote that kind of behaviour. If the community downvotes that kind of bullshit it'd keep it in check, but typically they'll upvote it because they all have the same kinds of brainworms.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just watched a video on Reddit of a couple sanitation workers leaving bins of trash on the curb because they were too heavy, and the woman who put them out asks if she can dump them in the truck. she struggles hard to do it, because they're clearly too fuckin heavy. all the top comments are nerds wanking about how the sanitation workers should be ashamed and they're totally lazy cucks who didn't want to do their job and what is this world coming to etc etc. they see something, have an emotional response, then roll with it without thinking for more than five seconds. one or two people were in there trying to explain that lifting something heavy once is not the same as doing it all day, and that is why we have rules about how heavy bins can be, but to no avail. always nice to have Reddit there as a window into the minds of absolute morons

and yes, the sanitation workers were black

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Panfilo posted:

I see a similar phenomenon in Quora where the whole fuckin peanut gallery has to chime in with their own $0.02 and it makes me wonder how the hell these goobers got anything done in their field of expertise given they couldn't even bear the idea of anyone else being ever so slightly more technically correct than them.

Reddit is the premier online platform for mansplaining.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I love getting tracked hell yeah sell me stuff ese see if I care

I have all these things I bought because of ads what do you have?

In all honesty I would donate a blood sample to an ad agency if it meant my ads were even more personalized.

I don’t have plaque psoriasis, HIV, kidney disease, alopecia, diabetes, or want to purchase a new vehicle of any kind. Let me know what toy is in the McDonald’s Happy Meal for my grandnephew and grandniece when the Sausage Biscuit w/Egg is on sale, followed by any ad from Walmart and Kroger. Sure, perfume ads at Christmas and Mother’s Day, but I haven’t bought jewelry in thirty loving years and am not going to start.

I will sit through five minutes of movie, album, and game trailers if I never have to suffer through five-unskippable-YouTube seconds of Land Rover Defenders unloading off a boat for every six minutes of video watched!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

just watched a video on Reddit of a couple sanitation workers leaving bins of trash on the curb because they were too heavy, and the woman who put them out asks if she can dump them in the truck. she struggles hard to do it, because they're clearly too fuckin heavy. all the top comments are nerds wanking about how the sanitation workers should be ashamed and they're totally lazy cucks who didn't want to do their job and what is this world coming to etc etc. they see something, have an emotional response, then roll with it without thinking for more than five seconds. one or two people were in there trying to explain that lifting something heavy once is not the same as doing it all day, and that is why we have rules about how heavy bins can be, but to no avail. always nice to have Reddit there as a window into the minds of absolute morons

and yes, the sanitation workers were black

as a person that likes reading local regs , i cant even imagine how heavy something is thats sounds like its well over the limit of whats the "max"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nettle Soup posted:

crossposting

lol
lmao

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Calico Heart posted:

I'm in the market for a TV and made the terrible mistake of looking on reddit for advice. On r/4ktvs and r/hometheatre I gave my situation, budget, and a couple of TVs I was deciding between. Thread was immdiately downvoted with a reply saying that some TV that was literally £500 above those I mentioned was "the bare minimum" I should consider.

Looking around at other threads, it seems that whenever anyone asks for advice on TV purchasing the exact same thing happens - someone will say "here's my budget and here are my options", the thread is downvoted to 0, and the replies are "those tvs are trash" (no further information) or "bare minimum $2000".

I guess I have to wonder; if these kinds of threads are looked down upon... what is the point of the subreddits? Surely people only care about visiting them when they're buying a TV or have technical difficulties with one? It looks like the primary reason people go there is to tell other people the TV they bought it trash.

I was once shopping for a coffee machine and encountered the same thing: midrange model suitable for household use? Knockoff of expensive model? Cheapass machine that will at least work for a year or two?

"Urgh, no, only if you want to poison yourself or have it burst into flames and kill your family. The bare base minimum is this $2000 Gaggia that you have to specially order from the manufacturer that needs daily maintenance ..."

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Just write down all your passwords in a small notebook you keep in a drawer in your house

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

DerekSmartymans posted:

In all honesty I would donate a blood sample to an ad agency if it meant my ads were even more personalized.

I don’t have plaque psoriasis, HIV, kidney disease, alopecia, diabetes, or want to purchase a new vehicle of any kind. Let me know what toy is in the McDonald’s Happy Meal for my grandnephew and grandniece when the Sausage Biscuit w/Egg is on sale, followed by any ad from Walmart and Kroger. Sure, perfume ads at Christmas and Mother’s Day, but I haven’t bought jewelry in thirty loving years and am not going to start.

I will sit through five minutes of movie, album, and game trailers if I never have to suffer through five-unskippable-YouTube seconds of Land Rover Defenders unloading off a boat for every six minutes of video watched!

Or just load up on adblockers etc and avoid the ads entirely. The browser Brave blocks all the YouTube ads even on iOS

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Thing thing about ads is that I don't need help blowing my money on dumb stuff, and I can't remember ever buying dumb poo poo with a plan based on what an ad tells me, it's always stupid impulse stuff when it's right there in person, like a chocolate bar.

Really if ads need to reach me properly they'd need to float around me and point out poo poo all the time in the moment, and thanks to augmented and virtual reality efforts this could see be a reality!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

The Hello Machine posted:

Just write down all your passwords in a small notebook you keep in a drawer in your house

Just lol if you don't scatter multiple phones around your workplace, each with a single auto-playing audio diary about your progress on the Omega Project and related passcodes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

nonathlon posted:

I was once shopping for a coffee machine and encountered the same thing: midrange model suitable for household use? Knockoff of expensive model? Cheapass machine that will at least work for a year or two?

"Urgh, no, only if you want to poison yourself or have it burst into flames and kill your family. The bare base minimum is this $2000 Gaggia that you have to specially order from the manufacturer that needs daily maintenance ..."

Dorks define themselves based on their purchases. There are also types of people who become really offended when people do things differently than them, they interpret it as being told that they made bad choices and are wrong or some weird psychological stuff.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Squidster posted:

Just lol if you don't scatter multiple phones around your workplace, each with a single auto-playing audio diary about your progress on the Omega Project and related passcodes.

TFW u follow the audio clues through the zombie cave and decode the safe password from clues in order to find a coupon for a media streaming subscription for a service that went down at the same time as civilisation did.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

syntaxfunction posted:

Thing thing about ads is that I don't need help blowing my money on dumb stuff, and I can't remember ever buying dumb poo poo with a plan based on what an ad tells me, it's always stupid impulse stuff when it's right there in person, like a chocolate bar.

Really if ads need to reach me properly they'd need to float around me and point out poo poo all the time in the moment, and thanks to augmented and virtual reality efforts this could see be a reality!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I love this because it was on an actual patent application and the artist included dystopian themes not actually part of the awful patent.

The movie has some guy killing another guy. Right before the bullet smashes into his face…. This murder was brought to you by MCDONALDS! Let’s hear it for MCDONALDS! Then the viewer is rewarded with the gooey half of the murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Internet Old One posted:

I love this because it was on an actual patent application and the artist included dystopian themes not actually part of the awful patent.

The movie has some guy killing another guy. Right before the bullet smashes into his face…. This murder was brought to you by MCDONALDS! Let’s hear it for MCDONALDS! Then the viewer is rewarded with the gooey half of the murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDjAFi7oJ4

mmmm

mcdonalds ground beef