Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The cut copy paste buttons in the new context menu can go straight to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I'm used to them and they own

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ofecks posted:

drat, really? I use "Edit with Notepad++" and 7-zip functions all the time via right-click in 10. I guess I could get around the former by painstakingly setting up file associations (ugh), but there's no easy solution for the latter.

Newer versions of Notepad++ will extend the windows 11 right click menu correctly, however the 7-zip author has said they never will. Try NanaZIP, which extends the 7-zip code base with a bunch of nice stuff.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

Newer versions of Notepad++ will extend the windows 11 right click menu correctly, however the 7-zip author has said they never will. Try NanaZIP, which extends the 7-zip code base with a bunch of nice stuff.

7zip extracting is built in Windows 11. And later this year also creating 7z will be built in. 7-zip author also took years to add basic memory safety features to his program.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MikusR posted:

7zip extracting is built in Windows 11. And later this year also creating 7z will be built in. 7-zip author also took years to add basic memory safety features to his program.

Does the UI still look like an amateur Win95 VB app?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MikusR posted:

it's kind of horrifying how lax 7zip is with security mitigations considering it's main purpose is to parse random files from the internet

the author has demoscene brain where he refuses to add anything that would make the binary even slightly bigger, for a long time he was stripping relocation data (breaking ASLR) just to shave off a few kb

:shepicide:

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 21, 2024

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Does nanazip enable all those security features?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

seems so, their readme calls it out explicitly

quote:

Enable Control Flow Guard (CFG) to all target binaries for mitigating ROP attacks.
Mark all x86 and x64 target binaries as compatible with Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET) Shadow Stack.
Strict handle checks at runtime to block the use of invalid handles.
Disable dynamic code generation in Release builds prevents generating malicious code at runtime.
Block loading unexpected libraries from remote sources at runtime.
Enable Package Integrity Check.
Enable EH Continuation Metadata.
Enable Signed Returns.

the 7zip guy did eventually relent and at least enable ASLR, but last i checked he was still refusing to enable any further mitigations

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

repiv posted:

seems so, their readme calls it out explicitly

the 7zip guy did eventually relent and at least enable ASLR, but last i checked he was still refusing to enable any further mitigations

Read this as ASMR and was REALLY confused

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Playing the sounds of old hard drive activity as it unpacks your archives

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
X-posting from the Windows 11 specific thread, I guess it fits here also:

DerekSmartymans posted:

I've got the weirdest problem with some (not all) of my Windows 11 programs. The text and icons, whether on buttons or in text fields, get "blurry" or "smeared out" a couple of seconds after opening up correctly. This doesn't happen with things like word processing or web pages/web text, butt mainly seems to show up in game launchers such as Steam or Epic Games launchers (and the new Eve Online launcher), as well as the new default Outlook. Usually you can move the mouse over the smeared text/icon and it will clear up to "readable" right away, but may fade back to blurry after a second or two. I recorded a short video with ShareX of my Outlook getting wonky and it shows the transitions quite well. This is Windows 11, all current updates, but has been happening for a while now and doesn't seem to be clearing up on its own!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
You should post all the troubleshooting you did too. This may be a windows "image" issue, perhaps try the old fashioned

sfc /scannow

From an elevated command prompt.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a HP laptop running Windows 11 Home. I want to put Windows 11 Enterprise (Evaluation Edition) on there to practice some M365 stuff.

Can I somehow backup that Windows 11 Home key, then play around with Windows 11 Enterprise (EVAL) for a bit, then revert back to Home for normal use? Or am I way off base?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hughmoris posted:

I have a HP laptop running Windows 11 Home. I want to put Windows 11 Enterprise (Evaluation Edition) on there to practice some M365 stuff.

Can I somehow backup that Windows 11 Home key, then play around with Windows 11 Enterprise (EVAL) for a bit, then revert back to Home for normal use? Or am I way off base?

I wouldn't even bother, just go buy a key in SA-Mart and apply it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

How can i retrieve my product key from the uefi?

1. Start PowerShell (admin)
2. Paste this command and press enter: (Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey
3. PowerShell should retrieve the key and display it for you.

But it shouldn't be necessary at all, that key is baked into the laptop and won't be lost by activating through other means.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Medullah posted:

I wouldn't even bother, just go buy a key in SA-Mart and apply it

That's my fallback plan but for now I'll use the $20 elsewhere.

Flipperwaldt posted:

How can i retrieve my product key from the uefi?

1. Start PowerShell (admin)
2. Paste this command and press enter: (Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey
3. PowerShell should retrieve the key and display it for you.

But it shouldn't be necessary at all, that key is baked into the laptop and won't be lost by activating through other means.

Thanks!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Do people in russia have to deal with Activate Windows at the bottom of their screen, or is MS allowing them to activate?

I see they stopped sales and support, and are even blocking downloads. Does that extend to the licensing servers too?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

down1nit posted:

Do people in russia have to deal with Activate Windows at the bottom of their screen, or is MS allowing them to activate?

I see they stopped sales and support, and are even blocking downloads. Does that extend to the licensing servers too?

They probably just run the massgravel activation scripts, hosted on github, which is owned by MS. I remember reading an article where MS support was using them to activate machines when people had issues with their keys.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol they did it again

https://twitter.com/ItsSimonTime/status/1761902529078837287

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
That's good one lol.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone have a good mouse gesture extension for Edge? I had been using CLEAN crxMouse Gestures from Chrome but it was recently banned for copyright infringement because it's just the original with spyware removed.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What's the preferred way to let someone be able to launch VMs in Hyper-V? I have a domain user who is a member of "Hyper-V Administrators" but they can't connect to the service because they don't have rights. Surely they don't need to be a local administrator?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Rexxed posted:

They probably just run the massgravel activation scripts, hosted on github, which is owned by MS. I remember reading an article where MS support was using them to activate machines when people had issues with their keys.

So, I messed around with this to see how it worked and holy hell.

I could absolutely see that last part being true.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, I messed around with this to see how it worked and holy hell.

I could absolutely see that last part being true.

I am not as good at computers as most of you, and...same.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Driveby question: I'm getting a new windows box after a long time. Is Ninite still useful for initial software installation, or has it been infected by profit-seeking like everything else has?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Driveby question: I'm getting a new windows box after a long time. Is Ninite still useful for initial software installation, or has it been infected by profit-seeking like everything else has?

What initial software?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The new hotness is winget / windows package manager, which is good for not only install but also updating apps that don't have self-update.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I just used it 3 months ago. It’s still good. I think there are probably “better” alternatives out there, at least for certain stuff… but it did what it always has and I didn’t get the feeling it had a malware/spying payload or anything.

Alternatives would be like, windows package manager and chocolatey and such, I guess?
I also installed the Nirsoft tools along with their new launcher. Anyone missing classic windows forms interfaces should take look. It’s peak winforms. Had to add an exception folder to Defender when unzipping the archive lol

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

namlosh posted:

I just used it 3 months ago. It’s still good. I think there are probably “better” alternatives out there, at least for certain stuff… but it did what it always has and I didn’t get the feeling it had a malware/spying payload or anything.

Excellent. Thank you!

I'll also take a look at winget as well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

As far as I'm aware, Ninite is still nice.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 1, 2024

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Excellent. Thank you!

I'll also take a look at winget as well.

But really! What initial software? Because: propper terminal, rar and 7z support, pdf, ssh, even propper browser are already included by default and get updated automatically.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Fantastic question. Always ask poo poo like this, I love you goon.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

MikusR posted:

But really! What initial software? Because: propper terminal, rar and 7z support, pdf, ssh, even propper browser are already included by default and get updated automatically.

Steam, Spotify, iTunes, VLC, Firefox, Discord, Greenshot, Foxit Reader, Qbittorrent, WinDirStat, FileZilla, and Putty.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Blurb3947 posted:

Steam, Spotify, iTunes, VLC, Firefox, Discord, Greenshot, Foxit Reader, Qbittorrent, WinDirStat, FileZilla, and Putty.

Sumatra is a nice no-nonsense PDF viewer

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Chris Titus has a PowerShell GUI utility that lets you install software in bulk and also make configuration changes all through one screen, if you're looking for an alternative to Ninite.

https://christitus.com/windows-tool/

Yggsdrasil
Jan 6, 2013

Blurb3947 posted:

WinDirStat is fine but if it's a personal box, take a look at WizTree (also offered by Ninite) -- it directly parses the NTFS data, so it's much faster than WinDirStat to do the same thing.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Can someone recommend a good data recovery program? I ran a backup of about 150GB of data onto an external drive last night and everything seemed fine but this morning the drive is unusable (my guess is it overfragmented itself) . Unfortunately in addition to backup data I had about 200GB of other data on that drive that is not backed up elsewhere. The drive is mostly functional because windows was able to fix a few hundred indexing issues and repair some bad clusters but I still cannot access the drive normally, and would like to duplicate as much of the data as I can before formatting the drive.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
R-STUDIO is the usual starting point. It has a demo and is reasonably priced for data recovery software.

I have used Getdataback to good success as well as Active File recovery.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Can someone recommend a good data recovery program? I ran a backup of about 150GB of data onto an external drive last night and everything seemed fine but this morning the drive is unusable (my guess is it overfragmented itself) . Unfortunately in addition to backup data I had about 200GB of other data on that drive that is not backed up elsewhere. The drive is mostly functional because windows was able to fix a few hundred indexing issues and repair some bad clusters but I still cannot access the drive normally, and would like to duplicate as much of the data as I can before formatting the drive.

Fragmentation does not produce an unusable / unreadable drive. The worst it can do is make the drive incredibly slow. Unfortunately for you, this is probably worse than that. Best case scenario is this was a spate of bad clusters in bad places but the drive otherwise works.

I have used Recuva in the past for a partially-failed drive where some parts of the drive were accessible. It's not the best, but it's free & very simple. Stepping up from that, DMDE is more powerful and has a pretty generous free trial (recover 4000 files at a time, unlimited repeats).

Both of these will work by scanning the drive bit by bit and trying to reconstruct files even when filesystem metadata is missing or garbage.

Don't get snookered into paying a lot of money for data-recovery software. Software only goes so far; if those two can't read the drive enough to see stuff you will need professional data recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Recovery software's function is normally to 'undelete' something you accidently deleted or when you formatted a drive you wish you didn't. It's a software solution to what is ultimately a software 'problem'.

What you are describing here sounds like it might be a hardware issue. Sure, Windows can interact with it in some ways, but the shape of the problem doesn't leave me particularly optimistic that recovery software is going to do what you hope. If you want to take a swing at it though, I personally like TestDisk