Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Tornhelm posted:

As is nearly always the case when it comes to complaining about the Windows Volume settings, just install Eartrumpet.

We're all reading the thread right?

Vic posted:

Apropos of nothing, Ctrl+Win+V opens Sound Output selector / Sound mixer in 11. I'm switching between different headsets constantly, and could finally uninstall eartrumpet. An app I had installed for almost the entirety of w10's existence. Such a simple thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

down1nit posted:

Win 11 is constantly getting better.
If Microsoft hadn't made it so horrible in the first place...

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Am I the only person who has this?

buffbus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 11, 2024

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vic posted:

I'm saying no volume mixer when you

And also the volume mixer is:
not accessible by a hotkey (no creating a shortcut to your settings menu doesn't count)
not in a neat and small taskbar popup

This isn't what I want to open ten times a day:

Well, no. On w10 you right click the volume icon to get the mixer. That gets you the good popup mixer too, not the awful UWP one in the screenshot.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

buffbus posted:

Am I the only person who has this?

For at least a decade, by default.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

down1nit posted:

Win 11 is constantly getting better.

Is this the new strat from MS? Make the OS so awful that adding literally anything it can be construed as 'constantly getting better'?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
And it's working gangbusters. They added a "system protection" link finally in the system settings.

At this rate win 11 will be finished before Linux!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is this the new strat from MS? Make the OS so awful that adding literally anything it can be construed as 'constantly getting better'?

“Continued changes” can very easily mean finding new ways to cram in value extraction while notionally improving the OS. I swear to God, killing Edge, never signing into a Microsoft account, and uninstalling as many of the built-in apps as possible makes a huge difference. I’m pretty sure it came up here a few pages ago, but some clever guy wrote a nice blog post detailing his process, and the difference is almost night and day.

edit: obligatory from the GPU thread, c/o rinkles:

https://twitter.com/PhantomOfEarth/status/1756334413040718140/

…what

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 11, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

What do you mean "what"? It just sounds like OS level DLSS support.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

"We could start replacing the girth of features that have been deleted from the OS from the last 10 years and even start adding new stuff, or..."

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I think I might try Linux as my main driver next time I update my computer and record the problems I ran into. I'm reasonably tech savvy and use linux a lot as a server platform for work, but I haven't had to muck with desktop poo poo outside of Steam Deck. I suspect I'm going to end up going back the first time a game doesn't work on release day or if one of my older games just flat out won't function, but it might be worth a shot. Maybe just dual-boot; I actually still have a spare hard drive in this computer.

gently caress, now that I think about it, that spare HDD might be the opportunity I was looking for.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
At least now with EFI dual booting is much less of an endeavour than the days of "oh god dammit there goes grub again"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

I think I might try Linux as my main driver next time I update my computer and record the problems I ran into. I'm reasonably tech savvy and use linux a lot as a server platform for work, but I haven't had to muck with desktop poo poo outside of Steam Deck. I suspect I'm going to end up going back the first time a game doesn't work on release day or if one of my older games just flat out won't function, but it might be worth a shot. Maybe just dual-boot; I actually still have a spare hard drive in this computer.

gently caress, now that I think about it, that spare HDD might be the opportunity I was looking for.

I've run dual-boots for over 20 years, mostly so I could game in Windows, but also because having two discrete operating systems on a machine is a nice failsafe. It hasn't happened often, but on a few occasions I have had either Windows or Linux crap out hard, to the point of not being functional, and it's really nice just being able to reboot into a working OS to figure out what broke in the other one. Or if I'm in the middle of something important then I can pick up where I left off with little disruption to my workflow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

insanelightman posted:

You have to enable it in the registry for it show up in the power plan options

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\8EC4B3A5-6868-48c2-BE75-4F3044BE88A7

Change the "Attributes" key from "1" to "2"

Then open advanced power settings and it will be under Display>Console lock display off timeout

Confirmed worked, thanks man.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
This is a really good thread.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

it's just waifu2x

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Thread title posted:

Good lord, what is that company doing to its OS?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In conclusion, Windows 11 is a land of contrasts.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh poo poo they're going to make AI characters huh. They'll iterate designs, focus group them, add them to menus and OOTB branding. Ugh... AI late night guests...

Microsoft will have the... Hyper customizable gamer waifu or bro stereotype. Or a skyrim dragon.

Apple's gotta have a beach ball somehow but they're scared of water. They're either 20 or 70 years old, no intermediate choices.

Android will be in a 90's power suit. Pencil in hair.

The Linux version is Linus with high cheekbones and lip filler. You pick which Linus, and whether the lip surgery was successful. Also it doesn't run on your chipset, specifically. There is a fork for different genders but it's on some Cyrillic .cx domain.

GNU, obvious

Oracle Solaris: Completely batshit. Unknowable. If you try to get to know them, they only get stranger. Hot.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

down1nit posted:

Oh poo poo they're going to make AI characters huh. They'll iterate designs, focus group them, add them to menus and OOTB branding. Ugh... AI late night guests...

Microsoft will have the... Hyper customizable gamer waifu or bro stereotype. Or a skyrim dragon.

Apple's gotta have a beach ball somehow but they're scared of water. They're either 20 or 70 years old, no intermediate choices.

Android will be in a 90's power suit. Pencil in hair.

The Linux version is Linus with high cheekbones and lip filler. You pick which Linus, and whether the lip surgery was successful. Also it doesn't run on your chipset, specifically. There is a fork for different genders but it's on some Cyrillic .cx domain.

GNU, obvious

Oracle Solaris: Completely batshit. Unknowable. If you try to get to know them, they only get stranger. Hot.

It's already happening.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Still crossing my fingers that this is a blip that goes away, like 3D TV

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

Still crossing my fingers that this is a blip that goes away, like 3D TV

It's gonna be exactly like a 3D TV, except also your boss fires you because he thinks Max Headroom is gonna pop out of the TV and do your job for free.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

down1nit posted:

Hopefully they will update Claudia IDE for Visual Studio 2022 while they're at it.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=kbuchi.ClaudiaIDE

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Windows 11 finally fixed windows 10 nasty habit of silently and automatically changing the default audio inputs and outputs

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The BIOS update appears to have fixed the sleep issue.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is it normal to still be on 22H2 at this point? Trying to think of anything in my system that might be incompatible (the venerable Sound Blaster USB sound card that I've used with my PCs since 2015, perhaps?) and preventing the larger update.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My desktop on W11 23H2 downloaded 23H2 again this morning to unenroll itself from Windows Insider (it had been queued for ages and was meant to opt-out the next major update) and ran the installer to do something with the recovery partition, which I was sure I had already done manually a while back when the WinRE vulnerability was first mentioned. Anyway it definitely resized the partition to make it a couple hundred MB bigger.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Has anyone else noticed the DCOM process being pegged at 5-10% CPU utilization in the last week or so? Disabling Defender's real-time protection seems to end it. Quite annoying on a laptop since it's keeping the fans from spinning down.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I have an archival drive where I move files I want to keep but am unlikely to use often. I'd like to make this drive encrypted, and also automatically back everything in it up to another drive, whenever I move something there. How would I accomplish this in Windows 11?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NotNut posted:

I have an archival drive where I move files I want to keep but am unlikely to use often. I'd like to make this drive encrypted, and also automatically back everything in it up to another drive, whenever I move something there. How would I accomplish this in Windows 11?

Encrypting: Bitlocker. You need 11 Pro to encrypt drives other than C, a Pro license is cheap from the two goons in samart. Instructions

Automatic backup to another drive: You could use windows' built-in File History backup, or dedicated backup software, or something more manual. Will the backup be to an external drive that only gets plugged in every so often, or a drive that is always available?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Apologies for not reading scroll back but I'm helping a friend in the field, whats that site for w10/11 keys again?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

https://lodgenorth.com/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Turned out he needed his bit locker key not his Windows key. And it was in his MS account. Anyway I got a free night of drinks. Thanks for the help though!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Thank gently caress it was in his account

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Oh I told him flat out I couldn't help him if it wasn't and he said "it's okay, this is just my travel laptop all my stuff is in the cloud"

"Oh thank God"

He was absolutely willing to accept a flatten reinstall.

Easiest money/friend-cred I ever made.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cross-Section posted:

Is it normal to still be on 22H2 at this point? Trying to think of anything in my system that might be incompatible (the venerable Sound Blaster USB sound card that I've used with my PCs since 2015, perhaps?) and preventing the larger update.

So I checked and I was in the same situation. It has to do with what channel you're on Release Preview Channel is apparently still on 22H2, switching to the Beta channel initiated the download of an update.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I've got the weirdest problem with some (not all) of my Windows 11 programs. The text and icons, whether on buttons or in text fields, get "blurry" or "smeared out" a couple of seconds after opening up correctly. This doesn't happen with things like word processing or web pages/web text, butt mainly seems to show up in game launchers such as Steam or Epic Games launchers (and the new Eve Online launcher), as well as the new default Outlook. Usually you can move the mouse over the smeared text/icon and it will clear up to "readable" right away, but may fade back to blurry after a second or two. I recorded a short video with ShareX of my Outlook getting wonky and it shows the transitions quite well. This is Windows 11, all current updates, but has been happening for a while now and doesn't seem to be clearing up on its own!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Klyith posted:

Encrypting: Bitlocker. You need 11 Pro to encrypt drives other than C, a Pro license is cheap from the two goons in samart. Instructions

Automatic backup to another drive: You could use windows' built-in File History backup, or dedicated backup software, or something more manual. Will the backup be to an external drive that only gets plugged in every so often, or a drive that is always available?

Drive that's always available. It's actually the exact same model of hard drive that'll be in the bay next to it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

DerekSmartymans posted:

I've got the weirdest problem with some (not all) of my Windows 11 programs. The text and icons, whether on buttons or in text fields, get "blurry" or "smeared out" a couple of seconds after opening up correctly. This doesn't happen with things like word processing or web pages/web text, butt mainly seems to show up in game launchers such as Steam or Epic Games launchers (and the new Eve Online launcher), as well as the new default Outlook. Usually you can move the mouse over the smeared text/icon and it will clear up to "readable" right away, but may fade back to blurry after a second or two. I recorded a short video with ShareX of my Outlook getting wonky and it shows the transitions quite well. This is Windows 11, all current updates, but has been happening for a while now and doesn't seem to be clearing up on its own!

Does your system have display scaling enabled? If so, try setting it to 100% to see if that changes anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

isndl posted:

Does your system have display scaling enabled? If so, try setting it to 100% to see if that changes anything.

I don't have display scaling enabled. That was my first thought as well, and I just had the brilliant thought to try hooking up two different monitors to check if it was monitor specific, but it did the same thing on both HDMI- and DVI-connected monitors. Appreciate the suggestion, though!